SCO Open server on MS Vitural Server RS2 - SCO

This is a discussion on SCO Open server on MS Vitural Server RS2 - SCO ; I am tryin to install SCO Open Server Release 5 on to Windows XP PRO SP2 with 1.5GB RAM, I have the space for VHD. The Host OS /Hardware has the resource to deal with this. I have configured the ...

  1. SCO Open server on MS Vitural Server RS2

    I am tryin to install SCO Open Server Release 5 on to Windows XP PRO
    SP2 with 1.5GB RAM, I have the space for VHD.

    The Host OS /Hardware has the resource to deal with this.

    I have configured the Virtual SCO Open Server with 64MB RAM and 1GB IDE
    VHD

    The bootdisk i have for the OS boot up okay, i get the prompt boot, i
    hit enter to start the install which start okay, but part the wat
    through after

    'Starting Initial System Load from: Floppy Disk'

    it comes up with an error

    Error Initializing access to device /dev/instal;
    There may be a BIOS setup problem
    or other hardware confugration error on that device

    If anyone has any ideas, thanks in advance

  2. Re: SCO Open server on MS Vitural Server RS2

    "Barkingmadscot" wrote:

    > I am tryin to install SCO Open Server Release 5 on to Windows XP PRO
    > SP2 with 1.5GB RAM, I have the space for VHD.

    What version of OpenServer? That should be 5.0.0, 5.0.2, 5.0.4, 5.0.5,
    5.0.6 or 5.0.7. Installation behaviors vary tremendously over that
    range.

    > The Host OS /Hardware has the resource to deal with this.
    >
    > I have configured the Virtual SCO Open Server with 64MB RAM and 1GB IDE
    > VHD
    >
    > The bootdisk i have for the OS boot up okay, i get the prompt boot, i
    > hit enter to start the install which start okay, but part the wat
    > through after
    >
    > 'Starting Initial System Load from: Floppy Disk'
    >
    > it comes up with an error
    >
    > Error Initializing access to device /dev/instal;
    > There may be a BIOS setup problem
    > or other hardware confugration error on that device
    >
    > If anyone has any ideas, thanks in advance

    That indicates that you are booting from a floppy. Your OSR5 CD should
    be bootable, you don't need a floppy. Floppy emulation is an area where
    OSR5 has had a lot of problems with x86 virtualization environments and
    emulators.

    I tried OSR5 (506 I think) on some versions of MS Virtual Server a long
    time ago, eventually got it to work. I forget what problems I had.

    Much more recently I've been playing with OSR5 (507) on various VMware
    environments. I currently have it running nicely under VMware ESX
    Server (2.5.4) and WorkStation (various versions -- 4.5, 4.5.1, 5.0.0,
    5.5.0, 5.5.2). I haven't tried it myself, but OSR507 should be equally
    happy under VMware's free products (VMware Server, VMware Player).
    Note: by "equally happy" I mean "once you have engaged the necessary
    workarounds, it should be fine". See:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....8d4861f2881027

    Full disclosure: I now work at VMware...

    >Bela<

+ Reply to Thread