OT: Pressed vs Burned CD - SCO

This is a discussion on OT: Pressed vs Burned CD - SCO ; I know this is not a SCO UNIX specific question but the systems affected are all running OSR507. I post this question here because there are some very smart folks that participate in this newsgroup that may have a helpful ...

  1. OT: Pressed vs Burned CD

    I know this is not a SCO UNIX specific question but the systems
    affected are all running OSR507. I post this question here because
    there are some very smart folks that participate in this newsgroup
    that may have a helpful answer.

    Is there a way to reliably determine by reasonable means (using the
    human senses or easily accessible and/or low cost tools) if the data
    on a CD has been placed on the CD by a burn method (e.g., cdrecord) as
    opposed a pressed or stamped method (e.g., high volume commercial
    replication)?

    TIA,

    DDinAZ

  2. Re: OT: Pressed vs Burned CD

    Dave Dickerson wrote:
    > I know this is not a SCO UNIX specific question but the systems
    > affected are all running OSR507. I post this question here because
    > there are some very smart folks that participate in this newsgroup
    > that may have a helpful answer.
    >
    > Is there a way to reliably determine by reasonable means (using the
    > human senses or easily accessible and/or low cost tools) if the data
    > on a CD has been placed on the CD by a burn method (e.g., cdrecord) as
    > opposed a pressed or stamped method (e.g., high volume commercial
    > replication)?
    >
    > TIA,

    Not sure if this is right or not, but I think you can just look at the
    data side of the CD. On a pressed CD, it all looks the same. On a
    burned CD, there is a color variation between the burned and the
    unburned portion of the disc. I'm not sure what you will see if you
    burn the maximum amount of data a CD will hold. A spot check of a few
    CDs here at home confirms this.

    Of course, it's entirely possible I'm completely wrong and have just
    been deluding myself. Wouldn't be the first time...

  3. Re: OT: Pressed vs Burned CD

    In article <44f64152.4951620@news.easynews.com>,
    Dave Dickerson wrote:
    >I know this is not a SCO UNIX specific question but the systems
    >affected are all running OSR507. I post this question here because
    >there are some very smart folks that participate in this newsgroup
    >that may have a helpful answer.
    >
    >Is there a way to reliably determine by reasonable means (using the
    >human senses or easily accessible and/or low cost tools) if the data
    >on a CD has been placed on the CD by a burn method (e.g., cdrecord) as
    >opposed a pressed or stamped method (e.g., high volume commercial
    >replication)?
    >
    >TIA,
    >
    >DDinAZ

    I've never seen a commercial pressed CD without a label on the
    non-data side. And pressed CD's will usually have a master number
    in the hub area.

    Virtually all CD's will be have a silver look to them - with the
    exception of a few early high-end specialty disks with gold
    plating.

    All the burnable CDs I've ever seen will use one of two dye types
    so the data side will have a bluish cast or a greenish cast.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  4. Re: Pressed vs Burned CD

    "Dave Dickerson" wrote in message
    > I know this is not a SCO UNIX specific question but the systems
    > affected are all running OSR507. I post this question here because
    > there are some very smart folks that participate in this newsgroup
    > that may have a helpful answer.
    >
    > Is there a way to reliably determine by reasonable means (using the
    > human senses or easily accessible and/or low cost tools) if the data
    > on a CD has been placed on the CD by a burn method (e.g., cdrecord) as
    > opposed a pressed or stamped method (e.g., high volume commercial
    > replication)?

    The hub of CD-R's often has the brand name and "CD-R" imprinted on it.
    And there's a distinct color change between the burned and unburned
    sections, even on a full disc. The only ones that might give you pause are
    empty (unburned) CD-R's.

    From http://www.microboards.com/article.p...50217102554470 :

    Pressing vs. Burning

    Pressing is the act of stamping out CDs at a replication house. These discs
    are created with a glass master, and then the CD is stamped or "pressed" out
    with the information already on the disc. Burning is the act of burning the
    information to the disc in a CD-R writer or burner. The visual difference
    between pressed and burned CDs is that pressed have the silver bottom that
    is all one shade. An example would be any CD you have purchased at a store,
    they were pressed. A burned CD-R has a change in shade on the bottom between
    the burned and unburned sections. Usually, the bottoms are blue or gold.

  5. Re: Pressed vs Burned CD

    On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 05:01:02 GMT, "Bob Bailin"
    <72027.3605@compuserve.com> wrote:

    >"Dave Dickerson" wrote in message
    >> I know this is not a SCO UNIX specific question but the systems
    >> affected are all running OSR507. I post this question here because
    >> there are some very smart folks that participate in this newsgroup
    >> that may have a helpful answer.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to reliably determine by reasonable means (using the
    >> human senses or easily accessible and/or low cost tools) if the data
    >> on a CD has been placed on the CD by a burn method (e.g., cdrecord) as
    >> opposed a pressed or stamped method (e.g., high volume commercial
    >> replication)?

    >The hub of CD-R's often has the brand name and "CD-R" imprinted on it.
    >And there's a distinct color change between the burned and unburned
    >sections, even on a full disc. The only ones that might give you pause are
    >empty (unburned) CD-R's.
    >
    >From http://www.microboards.com/article.p...50217102554470 :
    >
    >Pressing vs. Burning
    >
    >Pressing is the act of stamping out CDs at a replication house. These discs
    >are created with a glass master, and then the CD is stamped or "pressed" out
    >with the information already on the disc. Burning is the act of burning the
    >information to the disc in a CD-R writer or burner. The visual difference
    >between pressed and burned CDs is that pressed have the silver bottom that
    >is all one shade. An example would be any CD you have purchased at a store,
    >they were pressed. A burned CD-R has a change in shade on the bottom between
    >the burned and unburned sections. Usually, the bottoms are blue or gold.

    Thanks Bob and Bill V. and Fabio. All info very helpful and much
    appreciated!!

    DDinAZ

+ Reply to Thread