73 GB scsi, 5.0.5, blad: fdisk sees a 4 GB drive - SCO

This is a discussion on 73 GB scsi, 5.0.5, blad: fdisk sees a 4 GB drive - SCO ; Hello, I've seen lots of references to a disk geometry problem with the lsil driver which prevents seeing the whole disk if the total disk capacity exceeds 64 GB. Is this also true of the blad driver? A customer has ...

  1. 73 GB scsi, 5.0.5, blad: fdisk sees a 4 GB drive

    Hello,

    I've seen lots of references to a disk geometry problem
    with the lsil driver which prevents seeing the whole disk if the total
    disk capacity exceeds 64 GB.

    Is this also true of the blad driver?

    A customer has an Adaptec 7890 on board and uses the blad driver.
    The 73 GB ST373207LW shows up as 4 GB after telling fdisk to use
    the whole disk.

    We linked, rebooted and went ahead with mkdev hd again, and ended up
    with only 4GB after making a single division and filesystem.

    I don't think I can tweak the biosgem at boot time, because the 73 is
    the 2nd drive, and the boot drive is an 18.

    Has anyone else seen this combination?

    Best regards,
    Dan Martin

  2. Re: 73 GB scsi, 5.0.5, blad: fdisk sees a 4 GB drive

    Dan Martin wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've seen lots of references to a disk geometry problem
    > with the lsil driver which prevents seeing the whole disk if the total
    > disk capacity exceeds 64 GB.
    >
    > Is this also true of the blad driver?
    >
    > A customer has an Adaptec 7890 on board and uses the blad driver.
    > The 73 GB ST373207LW shows up as 4 GB after telling fdisk to use
    > the whole disk.
    >
    > We linked, rebooted and went ahead with mkdev hd again, and ended up
    > with only 4GB after making a single division and filesystem.
    >
    > I don't think I can tweak the biosgem at boot time, because the 73 is
    > the 2nd drive, and the boot drive is an 18.
    >
    > Has anyone else seen this combination?
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Dan Martin

    Hi Dan,

    I had the exact same problem at a client. We could find no solution,
    so they decided to drop back and punt and stick a 36gb drive in...

    Fabio

  3. Re: 73 GB scsi, 5.0.5, blad: fdisk sees a 4 GB drive

    fabiog@venmar.com wrote:
    > Dan Martin wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I've seen lots of references to a disk geometry problem
    > > with the lsil driver which prevents seeing the whole disk if the total
    > > disk capacity exceeds 64 GB.
    > >
    > > Is this also true of the blad driver?
    > >
    > > A customer has an Adaptec 7890 on board and uses the blad driver.
    > > The 73 GB ST373207LW shows up as 4 GB after telling fdisk to use
    > > the whole disk.
    > >
    > > We linked, rebooted and went ahead with mkdev hd again, and ended up
    > > with only 4GB after making a single division and filesystem.
    > >
    > > I don't think I can tweak the biosgem at boot time, because the 73 is
    > > the 2nd drive, and the boot drive is an 18.
    > >
    > > Has anyone else seen this combination?
    > >
    > > Best regards,
    > > Dan Martin

    > Hi Dan,
    >
    > I had the exact same problem at a client. We could find no solution,
    > so they decided to drop back and punt and stick a 36gb drive in...
    >
    > Fabio

    Thanks for the quick reply, Fabio.

    I'm glad that the 36 worked. Now at least we have a plan.

    Looks like you were working late last night. All good stuff I hope!

    Thank you again,
    Dan Martin

  4. Re: 73 GB scsi, 5.0.5, blad: fdisk sees a 4 GB drive

    Dan Martin wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've seen lots of references to a disk geometry problem
    > with the lsil driver which prevents seeing the whole disk if the total
    > disk capacity exceeds 64 GB.
    >
    > Is this also true of the blad driver?
    >
    > A customer has an Adaptec 7890 on board and uses the blad driver.
    > The 73 GB ST373207LW shows up as 4 GB after telling fdisk to use
    > the whole disk.
    >
    > We linked, rebooted and went ahead with mkdev hd again, and ended up
    > with only 4GB after making a single division and filesystem.
    >
    > I don't think I can tweak the biosgem at boot time, because the 73 is
    > the 2nd drive, and the boot drive is an 18.
    >
    > Has anyone else seen this combination?
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Dan Martin

    Hi, Dan.

    Check out TA#114965 - it seems you need to use the blad325 driver
    instead of the blad driver.

    SCO Authorized Partner
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com