LP command syntax question - SCO

This is a discussion on LP command syntax question - SCO ; Hi, I am trying to resolve an issue where I need to print to printer ip address and then a bridge name. Using Unix Open Server 5.0 The LP -h servername -d bridgename file from other Unix systems does not ...

  1. LP command syntax question

    Hi,

    I am trying to resolve an issue where I need to print to printer ip address
    and then a bridge name.

    Using Unix Open Server 5.0

    The LP -h servername -d bridgename file from other Unix systems does not
    work on SCO Openserver.

    Have scoured usenet with any luck. Any ideas please.

    Thanks

    David

  2. Re: LP command syntax question

    On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, David G wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to resolve an issue where I need to print to printer ip address
    > and then a bridge name.
    >
    > Using Unix Open Server 5.0
    >
    > The LP -h servername -d bridgename file from other Unix systems does not
    > work on SCO Openserver.
    >
    > Have scoured usenet with any luck. Any ideas please.

    If I understand correctly, your approach is not possible under SCO (or
    most Unix systems). You can not print to an arbitrary server and printer.
    You must setup a printer definition on the SCO box, and print to that. In
    this case the printer definition would be to a "remote" printer, that
    being one on a different IP address (or server name) and queue name.

    Regards,
    .....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.

    personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com
    company e-mail: rsi@anzio.com
    fax: (US) 503-624-0760
    web: http://www.anzio.com

  3. Re: LP command syntax question

    Hi Bob,

    Thanks for the response, sorry that was a typo mistake on my part with
    regard to the LP syntax.

    Should read..

    The LP -h printeripaddress -d bridgename file

    Regards

    David

    "Bob Rasmussen" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, David G wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am trying to resolve an issue where I need to print to printer ip
    >> address
    >> and then a bridge name.
    >>
    >> Using Unix Open Server 5.0
    >>
    >> The LP -h servername -d bridgename file from other Unix systems does not
    >> work on SCO Openserver.
    >>
    >> Have scoured usenet with any luck. Any ideas please.

    > If I understand correctly, your approach is not possible under SCO (or
    > most Unix systems). You can not print to an arbitrary server and printer.
    > You must setup a printer definition on the SCO box, and print to that. In
    > this case the printer definition would be to a "remote" printer, that
    > being one on a different IP address (or server name) and queue name.
    >
    > Regards,
    > ....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.
    >
    > personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com
    > company e-mail: rsi@anzio.com
    > voice: (US) 503-624-0360 (9:00-6:00 Pacific Time)
    > fax: (US) 503-624-0760
    > web: http://www.anzio.com

  4. Re: LP command syntax question

    On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:14:17 +0100, "David G" u k@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >"Bob Rasmussen" wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, David G wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I am trying to resolve an issue where I need to print to printer ip
    >>> address
    >>> and then a bridge name.
    >>>
    >>> Using Unix Open Server 5.0
    >>>
    >>> The LP -h servername -d bridgename file from other Unix systems does not
    >>> work on SCO Openserver.
    >>>
    >>> Have scoured usenet with any luck. Any ideas please.

    >> If I understand correctly, your approach is not possible under SCO (or
    >> most Unix systems). You can not print to an arbitrary server and printer.
    >> You must setup a printer definition on the SCO box, and print to that. In
    >> this case the printer definition would be to a "remote" printer, that
    >> being one on a different IP address (or server name) and queue name.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> ....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.

    >Hi Bob,
    >
    >Thanks for the response, sorry that was a typo mistake on my part with
    >regard to the LP syntax.
    >
    >Should read..
    >
    >The LP -h printeripaddress -d bridgename file
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >David

    Printing through another SCO OSR5 system spooler?
    http://wdb1.sco.com/kb/showta?taid=1...512123&pgnum=1

    Printing directly to a network-connected printer from SCO?
    http://wdb1.sco.com/kb/showta?taid=1...079031&pgnum=1

    If none of the above, please provide more information describing
    exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

    Scott McMillan

  5. Re: LP command syntax question

    On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, David G wrote:

    > Hi Bob,
    >
    > Thanks for the response, sorry that was a typo mistake on my part with
    > regard to the LP syntax.
    >
    > Should read..
    >
    > The LP -h printeripaddress -d bridgename file

    My answer is still relavant. See below.

    > Regards
    >
    > David
    >

    > "Bob Rasmussen" wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, David G wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I am trying to resolve an issue where I need to print to printer ip
    > >> address
    > >> and then a bridge name.
    > >>
    > >> Using Unix Open Server 5.0
    > >>
    > >> The LP -h servername -d bridgename file from other Unix systems does not
    > >> work on SCO Openserver.
    > >>
    > >> Have scoured usenet with any luck. Any ideas please.

    > > If I understand correctly, your approach is not possible under SCO (or
    > > most Unix systems). You can not print to an arbitrary server and printer.
    > > You must setup a printer definition on the SCO box, and print to that. In
    > > this case the printer definition would be to a "remote" printer, that
    > > being one on a different IP address (or server name) and queue name.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > ....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.
    > >
    > > personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com
    > > company e-mail: rsi@anzio.com
    > > voice: (US) 503-624-0360 (9:00-6:00 Pacific Time)
    > > fax: (US) 503-624-0760
    > > web: http://www.anzio.com

    Regards,
    .....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.

    personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com
    company e-mail: rsi@anzio.com
    fax: (US) 503-624-0760
    web: http://www.anzio.com

  6. Re: LP command syntax question

    That "bridgename" sounds like an OpenBSD thing where it's simply
    serving as a router to forward the packets to the printer.

    Why not just configure the firewall to do that?

    If you need/want to go through SCO, set up a spool like others have
    suggested.

    --R Robert

    David G wrote:
    > Hi Bob,
    >
    > Thanks for the response, sorry that was a typo mistake on my part with
    > regard to the LP syntax.
    >
    > Should read..
    >
    > The LP -h printeripaddress -d bridgename file
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > David

  7. Re: LP command syntax question

    Hi,

    Thanks for the responses.

    I am able to use this under windows environment using the lpr command

    example

    lpr -S 192.0.0.192 -P bridge1 -o l test.pcl

    The IP address is that of a network bridge, the bridge1 points to a Printer
    IP.

    The bridge1 is defined on the network bridge.

    Is there is a SCO openserver method to do this?

    Thanks

    David

  8. Re: LP command syntax question

    On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 12:07:51 +0100, "David G" u k@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Thanks for the responses.
    >
    >I am able to use this under windows environment using the lpr command
    >
    >example
    >
    >lpr -S 192.0.0.192 -P bridge1 -o l test.pcl
    >
    >The IP address is that of a network bridge, the bridge1 points to a Printer
    >IP.
    >
    >The bridge1 is defined on the network bridge.
    >
    >Is there is a SCO openserver method to do this?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >David

    A bridge? Nah, you've got a print server there. What is the device
    at 192.0.0.192? A network card physically inside the printer? An
    external device that the printer is plugged into? A server - Windows,
    Linux, SCO or otherwise? Make/model (of printer and print server)
    would be helpful.

    What version of SCO is this? Post the output of uname -X.

    This should get you started on the SCO side:
    http://wdb1.sco.com/kb/showta?taid=1...057850&pgnum=1

    Scott McMillan

  9. Re: LP command syntax question

    On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, David G wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for the responses.
    >
    > I am able to use this under windows environment using the lpr command
    >
    > example
    >
    > lpr -S 192.0.0.192 -P bridge1 -o l test.pcl
    >
    > The IP address is that of a network bridge, the bridge1 points to a Printer
    > IP.
    >
    > The bridge1 is defined on the network bridge.
    >
    > Is there is a SCO openserver method to do this?

    As I said in my first post, NO. You can not lpr to an arbitrary IP
    address in Open Server. You have to define the "remote printer" first,
    then lpr to that.

    Regards,
    .....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.

    personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com
    company e-mail: rsi@anzio.com
    fax: (US) 503-624-0760
    web: http://www.anzio.com

  10. Re: LP command syntax question

    David G wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for the responses.
    >
    > I am able to use this under windows environment using the lpr command

    Windows' lpr command is a client for the LPD/LPR protocol.

    OpenServer's lp (and lpr) commands are an interface to the local
    printing system which does data transformation and spooling.

    > example
    >
    > lpr -S 192.0.0.192 -P bridge1 -o l test.pcl
    >
    > The IP address is that of a network bridge, the bridge1 points to a Printer
    > IP.
    >
    > The bridge1 is defined on the network bridge.

    Your terminology is wrong: the -p option does not designate a "bridge",
    it designates a printer name defined at the remote end.

    C:\>lpr /?

    Sends a print job to a network printer

    Usage: lpr -S server -P printer [-C class] [-J job] [-o option] [-x]
    [-d] filename

    -S server Name or ipaddress of the host providing lpd service
    -P printer Name of the print queue
    -C class Job classification for use on the burst page
    -J job Job name to print on the burst page
    -o option Indicates type of the file
    Use "-o l" for binary (e.g. postscript) files
    -x Compatibility with SunOS 4.1.x and prior
    -d Send data file first

    > Is there is a SCO openserver method to do this?

    1) Configure a local name for the remote printer.
    2) Use the normal `lp -d newprinter` command

    Step 1 is an administrative step done by root using `rlpconf` or
    `scoadmin printer` The effect is to add an entry to /etc/printcap (where
    remote LPR/LPD printers are defined).

    Since everyone uses the above method, as far as I know, no-one has
    bothered to construct a command-line direct client for the LPR/LPD protocol.

    The exception to this would be "Using Netcat for a simple lpr client"
    http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/netcatlpr.html

  11. Re: LP command syntax question

    Hi,

    Our customer found the answer with a combination of help from various
    sources.

    We have product called BarSTORM and multi feature Print Server and Network
    Bridge which incorporates BarDIMM Intelligent Barcode technology.

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?C48B52D9D

    Due to the apparant variations of UNIX our standard documentation did not
    cover SCO-UNIX Openserver which our customer is using.

    He sent me his resolution which some people may find useful.

    barstorm installed: ip 10.0.0.200
    bridge1 / 9111 to 10.0.0.189 HP4000
    lpd

    edit /etc/hosts : 10.0.0.200 barstorm

    scoadmin printer manager
    add remote printer
    host: barstorm
    printer : bridge1
    do not use extended sevices.

    edit printcap:
    barstorm:\
    :lp:=:rm=barstorm:rp=bridge1:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/bridge1:mx#0:

    now "lp -dbarstorm /barstorm/test.pcl" will print barcodes..

    Thanks for everybodys help.

    David Gibbins
    Fontware Limited

  12. Re: LP command syntax question

    On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:00:00 +0100, "David G" u k@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Our customer found the answer with a combination of help from various
    >sources.
    >
    >We have product called BarSTORM and multi feature Print Server and Network
    >Bridge which incorporates BarDIMM Intelligent Barcode technology.
    >
    >http://makeashorterlink.com/?C48B52D9D

    Now *that* would have been helpful to know from the beginning!

    Scott McMillan

  13. Re: LP command syntax question

    David G wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Our customer found the answer with a combination of help from various
    > sources.
    >
    > We have product called BarSTORM and multi feature Print Server and Network
    > Bridge which incorporates BarDIMM Intelligent Barcode technology.
    >
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?C48B52D9D
    >
    > Due to the apparant variations of UNIX our standard documentation did not
    > cover SCO-UNIX Openserver which our customer is using.
    >
    > He sent me his resolution which some people may find useful.
    >
    > barstorm installed: ip 10.0.0.200
    > bridge1 / 9111 to 10.0.0.189 HP4000
    > lpd
    >
    > edit /etc/hosts : 10.0.0.200 barstorm
    >
    > scoadmin printer manager
    > add remote printer
    > host: barstorm
    > printer : bridge1
    > do not use extended sevices.
    >
    > edit printcap:
    > barstorm:\
    > :lp:=:rm=barstorm:rp=bridge1:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/bridge1:mx#0:
    >
    > now "lp -dbarstorm /barstorm/test.pcl" will print barcodes..
    >
    > Thanks for everybodys help.
    >
    > David Gibbins
    > Fontware Limited

    From the link you provided above:

    Product Features

    Connects to a 10baseT/100baseTX TCP/IP network & can support up to 4 x PCL printers
    connected to it's on board USB 1.1 ports & depending how the unit is licensed up to 50
    network attached PCL printers can be served with barcodes, fonts and overlays.
    Most PCL printers & multi-function devices are supported & can be driven from any system
    > that supports LPR or RAW port printing.

    The user can store custom Fonts, Logos & overlays.
    This storage area can be expanded to nearly 1Gb.
    Fonts & overlays stored on the unit can be associated with any particular output port for
    custom printing on each printer connected or bridged by the unit.
    Overlays and forms can be generated from applications and then loaded and managed from

    That "RAW" port printing tells me that you could have used Netcat to print to the device.

    Lpr may be working now, but in my experience, not for long, and especially not with
    any large volume of print jobs. Google this group for netcat and you'll see a lot of
    traffic indicating how to use netcat.

    --

    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  14. Re: LP command syntax question

    With rlpr you can print to arbitrary print servers at will without
    configurng a spooler queu and interface script

    printf "\033EThis is a test\014" |rlpr -H 192.168.0.20 -P RAW1

    as per "man rlpr" for some print servers or some sites that are busy, you
    may want to "chmod +s /usr/local/bin/rlpr"

    http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/#rlpr