2 Hdd - one boot new SCO and the other old SCO - SCO

This is a discussion on 2 Hdd - one boot new SCO and the other old SCO - SCO ; Hi, who can tell me how i mount the old system hd with normal installition boot, root, swap partition to the new sco server. I need to backup the applications from the old one, but don't forgett i have not ...

  1. 2 Hdd - one boot new SCO and the other old SCO

    Hi,

    who can tell me how i mount the old system hd with normal installition boot,
    root, swap partition to the new sco server. I need to backup the
    applications from the old one, but don't forgett i have not the old maschin
    only the hd.

    I have test it with divvy, fdisk, mkdev hd 1 0 ..... but it doesn't work
    yet.

    Please help me. Otherwise i will loos my mind.

    thx
    Adrian

  2. Re: 2 Hdd - one boot new SCO and the other old SCO

    In article , 1und1 wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >who can tell me how i mount the old system hd with normal installition boot,
    >root, swap partition to the new sco server. I need to backup the
    >applications from the old one, but don't forgett i have not the old maschin
    >only the hd.
    >
    >I have test it with divvy, fdisk, mkdev hd 1 0 ..... but it doesn't work
    >yet.
    >
    >Please help me. Otherwise i will loos my mind.
    >
    >thx
    >Adrian

    The problem you are going to encounter is the installed OS knows
    which drive it was installed from and it's boot loader will want to
    boot from that.

    So if you have an OS that was installed on the first drive, and
    then you make it the second drive, even if you have a program
    that will select the drive to boot from, the second drive will want
    to be the first drive.

    This is why when you want to boot from something other than the
    first drive - or in SCSI-land ID0, you have to install on the drive
    with the correct ID. I found this out early on when using two
    dirves in a system that I could turn one off and have the second
    drive look like a primary.

    It is counter-intuitive, but unless SCO has changed that behaviour
    over the years, that is what you are going to run into.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  3. Re: 2 Hdd - one boot new SCO and the other old SCO

    In article , 1und1 wrote:
    >who can tell me how i mount the old system hd with normal installition boot,
    >root, swap partition to the new sco server. I need to backup the
    >applications from the old one, but don't forgett i have not the old maschin
    >only the hd.
    >
    >I have test it with divvy, fdisk, mkdev hd 1 0 ..... but it doesn't work
    >yet.

    It sounds like you've installed on a new machine, and you want to mount the old
    drive as a secondary drive just to get some data off of it. If that's the
    case, then mkdev hd is the correct approach. What release of the OS were you /
    are you using, what type of controller & drives, and what problem did you
    encounter?

    Note that two things that you should always do before removing a drive from an
    OSR5 system to install it in another are:

    1) Complete backup

    2) dparam -w /dev/rhd00 `dparam /dev/rhd00`
    (or other rhdxx if not the root drive)

    John

  4. Re: 2 Hdd - one boot new SCO and the other old SCO

    > It sounds like you've installed on a new machine, and you want to mount
    > the old
    > drive as a secondary drive just to get some data off of it. If that's the
    > case, then mkdev hd is the correct approach. What release of the OS were
    > you /
    > are you using, what type of controller & drives, and what problem did you
    > encounter?

    yes, thats the problem.

    > Note that two things that you should always do before removing a drive
    > from an
    > OSR5 system to install it in another are:
    >
    > 1) Complete backup

    How did i get that!!! cpio ?

    > 2) dparam -w /dev/rhd00 `dparam /dev/rhd00`
    > (or other rhdxx if not the root drive)

    Why do so? I want to lern more about that.

    And i have done it befor like this:
    1. mkdev hd 1 0 (because: first controller, second HD)
    then the hd was found under /dev/hd10 - hd14...
    but i can't get the data, because i can't mount it.

    2. i use divvy, but this destroy my structur of the hd so that i lost the
    data

    What can i do?

    Some idea was that i make a backup of a other partition. but how i get free
    memory of the hd.

  5. Re: 2 Hdd - one boot new SCO and the other old SCO

    On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 18:50:17 +0200, "1und1" wrote:

    >> It sounds like you've installed on a new machine, and you want to mount
    >> the old
    >> drive as a secondary drive just to get some data off of it. If that's the
    >> case, then mkdev hd is the correct approach. What release of the OS were
    >> you /
    >> are you using, what type of controller & drives, and what problem did you
    >> encounter?

    >yes, thats the problem.
    >
    >> Note that two things that you should always do before removing a drive
    >> from an
    >> OSR5 system to install it in another are:
    >>
    >> 1) Complete backup

    >How did i get that!!! cpio ?

    That would be one way, yes. Other ways would include tar/a super-tar
    (Lone-Tar, BackupEdge, etc.), but it sounds like it's too late for
    that :-(

    See http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_sco...overdrive.html,
    http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/datatran.html#disk and
    http://wdb1.sco.com/kb/showta?taid=104863

    >2. i use divvy, but this destroy my structur of the hd so that i lost the
    >data

    Destroyed the structure of which drive? The one you are trying to
    copy the data from?

    >What can i do?

    Without a backup I don't think there's much you will be able to do,
    short of sending the drive to a data recovery company (which may or
    may not yield anything useful).

    >Some idea was that i make a backup of a other partition. but how i get free
    >memory of the hd.

    Scott McMillan

  6. Re: 2 Hdd - one boot new SCO and the other old SCO

    In article , 1und1 wrote:
    >> 2) dparam -w /dev/rhd00 `dparam /dev/rhd00`
    >> (or other rhdxx if not the root drive)

    >Why do so? I want to lern more about that.

    That ensures that the disk geometry used by the old OS/host adapter will the
    same geometry used on the system you move the drive to.

    >And i have done it befor like this:
    >1. mkdev hd 1 0 (because: first controller, second HD)
    > then the hd was found under /dev/hd10 - hd14...
    > but i can't get the data, because i can't mount it.
    >
    >2. i use divvy, but this destroy my structur of the hd so that i lost the
    >data
    >
    >What can i do?

    When you run mkdev hd, if divvy doesn't show your old divvy table already in
    place (not neccessarily with the same division names), it's probably because
    the disk geometry wasn't maintained, and you should exit divvy without
    installing a divvy table. If you mount the drive in the old system and use the
    'dparam' command above, there is some chance that you'll be able to recover
    (most of) your data.

    John