slink boot error in OpenServer 3 - SCO

This is a discussion on slink boot error in OpenServer 3 - SCO ; Hi, I have an OS3 (Unix 3.2.4.2) system with an Adaptec 2940 controller and a Netgear FA310TX NIC. It works fine but I need faster disk I/O so I'm switching to a DPT 3334 controller and adding second and third ...

  1. slink boot error in OpenServer 3

    Hi,

    I have an OS3 (Unix 3.2.4.2) system with an Adaptec 2940 controller and
    a Netgear FA310TX NIC. It works fine but I need faster disk I/O so I'm
    switching to a DPT 3334 controller and adding second and third SCSI
    hard drives. To provide a safety net in case of install problems I've
    put the Adaptec 2940 and its single SCSI drive aside so I can drop them
    back in if needed.

    The new install has gone well except for one item. When TCP/IP
    initializes on boot I get the following error.

    slink: Function "cenetb", command 1: open "/dev/ngrpci0": No such
    device or address

    I'm using the same driver (NGR224.Z) for the Netgear as before. The
    hardware boot screen shows the correct address, IRQ, and MAC address
    for the NIC and there are no address or IRQ conflicts with other
    devices. The only thing different from the original configuration is
    that whereas the Adaptec was IRQ 10 and the Netgear IRQ 11, the new
    configuration has the DPT at 11 and the Netgear at 15. I've tried
    moving the Netgear to a different PCI slot with no difference. I've
    also tried forcing the IRQ to 9 in the BIOS, which does change the IRQ
    but yields the same slink error.

    I found an older post with the same problem for a different NIC and
    I've attempted those solutions - moving the NIC and adding a second
    slink line in /etc/tcp. These changes had no effect. Since I know
    this NIC and driver work with this SCO version in this computer I'm at
    a loss for how to proceed. Any ideas would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Tom Allred

  2. Re: slink boot error in OpenServer 3

    Tom Allred wrote:

    > I have an OS3 (Unix 3.2.4.2) system with an Adaptec 2940 controller and
    > a Netgear FA310TX NIC. It works fine but I need faster disk I/O so I'm
    > switching to a DPT 3334 controller and adding second and third SCSI
    > hard drives. To provide a safety net in case of install problems I've
    > put the Adaptec 2940 and its single SCSI drive aside so I can drop them
    > back in if needed.
    >
    > The new install has gone well except for one item. When TCP/IP
    > initializes on boot I get the following error.
    >
    > slink: Function "cenetb", command 1: open "/dev/ngrpci0": No such
    > device or address
    >
    > I'm using the same driver (NGR224.Z) for the Netgear as before. The
    > hardware boot screen shows the correct address, IRQ, and MAC address
    > for the NIC and there are no address or IRQ conflicts with other
    > devices. The only thing different from the original configuration is
    > that whereas the Adaptec was IRQ 10 and the Netgear IRQ 11, the new
    > configuration has the DPT at 11 and the Netgear at 15. I've tried
    > moving the Netgear to a different PCI slot with no difference. I've
    > also tried forcing the IRQ to 9 in the BIOS, which does change the IRQ
    > but yields the same slink error.
    >
    > I found an older post with the same problem for a different NIC and
    > I've attempted those solutions - moving the NIC and adding a second
    > slink line in /etc/tcp. These changes had no effect. Since I know
    > this NIC and driver work with this SCO version in this computer I'm at
    > a loss for how to proceed. Any ideas would be appreciated.

    You never said whether the NIC is working! Are you merely struggling to
    understand / silence an odd error message -- or is the network down?

    Let's assume it's down...

    Start by using `netconfig` to reselect the NIC. For some cards, the
    process of running `netconfig` edits files to poke in PCI slot numbers,
    I/O addresses, or similar stuff. If this is such a driver (and the fact
    that it doesn't work suggests so), the poking needs to be redone.

    Hmmm, could probably think of other things to do, but brain is screaming
    "no, get a new NIC". pricewatch.com points to gearxs.com offering Intel
    Pro100 cards for $8 (free shipping); or 3Com 3C905TX for $4.85 if you
    want to save 39%. Add $5 for them to test it before shipping. How much
    is your time worth?

    >Bela<

  3. Re: slink boot error in OpenServer 3

    Bela,

    Thanks for the response. Sorry it wasn't obvious that the NIC wasn't
    working. After a couple of days with no replies I did replace the card
    - actually swapped it with a pro100 card from another SCO system - and
    the problem went away. Must just be something special about combining
    netgear and dpt.

    Thanks,
    Tom

    Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > Tom Allred wrote:
    >
    > > I have an OS3 (Unix 3.2.4.2) system with an Adaptec 2940 controller and
    > > a Netgear FA310TX NIC. It works fine but I need faster disk I/O so I'm
    > > switching to a DPT 3334 controller and adding second and third SCSI
    > > hard drives. To provide a safety net in case of install problems I've
    > > put the Adaptec 2940 and its single SCSI drive aside so I can drop them
    > > back in if needed.
    > >
    > > The new install has gone well except for one item. When TCP/IP
    > > initializes on boot I get the following error.
    > >
    > > slink: Function "cenetb", command 1: open "/dev/ngrpci0": No such
    > > device or address
    > >
    > > I'm using the same driver (NGR224.Z) for the Netgear as before. The
    > > hardware boot screen shows the correct address, IRQ, and MAC address
    > > for the NIC and there are no address or IRQ conflicts with other
    > > devices. The only thing different from the original configuration is
    > > that whereas the Adaptec was IRQ 10 and the Netgear IRQ 11, the new
    > > configuration has the DPT at 11 and the Netgear at 15. I've tried
    > > moving the Netgear to a different PCI slot with no difference. I've
    > > also tried forcing the IRQ to 9 in the BIOS, which does change the IRQ
    > > but yields the same slink error.
    > >
    > > I found an older post with the same problem for a different NIC and
    > > I've attempted those solutions - moving the NIC and adding a second
    > > slink line in /etc/tcp. These changes had no effect. Since I know
    > > this NIC and driver work with this SCO version in this computer I'm at
    > > a loss for how to proceed. Any ideas would be appreciated.

    > You never said whether the NIC is working! Are you merely struggling to
    > understand / silence an odd error message -- or is the network down?
    >
    > Let's assume it's down...
    >
    > Start by using `netconfig` to reselect the NIC. For some cards, the
    > process of running `netconfig` edits files to poke in PCI slot numbers,
    > I/O addresses, or similar stuff. If this is such a driver (and the fact
    > that it doesn't work suggests so), the poking needs to be redone.
    >
    > Hmmm, could probably think of other things to do, but brain is screaming
    > "no, get a new NIC". pricewatch.com points to gearxs.com offering Intel
    > Pro100 cards for $8 (free shipping); or 3Com 3C905TX for $4.85 if you
    > want to save 39%. Add $5 for them to test it before shipping. How much
    > is your time worth?
    >
    > >Bela<

+ Reply to Thread