Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login - SCO

This is a discussion on Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login - SCO ; I have a client with about a dozen Wyse150 terminals. We need to set them up as Wyse150+ emulations with Enhanced=OFF in order to perform local printing without passing the output to the screen. Problem is, each time someone logs ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login

    I have a client with about a dozen Wyse150 terminals. We need to set
    them up as Wyse150+ emulations with Enhanced=OFF in order to perform
    local printing without passing the output to the screen. Problem is,
    each time someone logs off and then logs back on, these two settings
    revert to Wyse150 and Enhanced=ON. What file in SCO or what lines in
    the termcap are causing this problem to reoccur?

  2. Re: Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login

    Your post isn't clear what values you're describing or what version of
    SCO. Some applications reset terminals so what the users do after
    logging in could be relevant, too.

    That said, it sounds like you're describing the Wyse150 built-in menu.
    Are the changes being saved?

    --RLR

    lansman54 wrote:
    > I have a client with about a dozen Wyse150 terminals. We need to set
    > them up as Wyse150+ emulations with Enhanced=OFF in order to perform
    > local printing without passing the output to the screen. Problem is,
    > each time someone logs off and then logs back on, these two settings
    > revert to Wyse150 and Enhanced=ON. What file in SCO or what lines in
    > the termcap are causing this problem to reoccur?

  3. Re: Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login

    In article <1155572640.247805.59400@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.c om>,
    lansman54 wrote:
    >I have a client with about a dozen Wyse150 terminals. We need to set
    >them up as Wyse150+ emulations with Enhanced=OFF in order to perform
    >local printing without passing the output to the screen. Problem is,
    >each time someone logs off and then logs back on, these two settings
    >revert to Wyse150 and Enhanced=ON. What file in SCO or what lines in
    >the termcap are causing this problem to reoccur?

    What you need to do is look at the termcap file for that terminal
    and look for the string that starts :is= [followed by a lot
    of code].

    You need to look at your manual [I hope you have one that lists
    all the codes you can send to the terminal by software to set
    it in place], find the codes you need, and modify that string.

    To be save you could duplicate the entire entry and change it's
    name to 'wy50-mod' or something like that, and then test the
    modifications there.

    When I had a site with several different applications that all
    wanted to diddle the terminal settings, and did NOT reset them
    properly on exit, from the menu that called them I cat'ed the
    string I wished to the terminal to set it to the same mode
    as start up.

    I don't know where to point you to documentation on termcap
    or your terminal. I first got a 25 page 'book' on termcap
    programming that cost me $25 back in 1983 - when even O'Reilly
    didn't have anything like that. If you carefully look at
    the termcap strings you'll find they aren't as daunting as they
    appear at first look.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  4. Re: Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login

    I am describing the built in menu by pressing shift-setup at the same
    time. We are on SCO OpenServer 5.06 I believe. The important value to
    me is the enhance=OFF setting from the menu which keeps getting reset
    to =ON

    ThreeStar wrote:
    > Your post isn't clear what values you're describing or what version of
    > SCO. Some applications reset terminals so what the users do after
    > logging in could be relevant, too.
    >
    > That said, it sounds like you're describing the Wyse150 built-in menu.
    > Are the changes being saved?
    >
    > --RLR
    >
    > lansman54 wrote:
    > > I have a client with about a dozen Wyse150 terminals. We need to set
    > > them up as Wyse150+ emulations with Enhanced=OFF in order to perform
    > > local printing without passing the output to the screen. Problem is,
    > > each time someone logs off and then logs back on, these two settings
    > > revert to Wyse150 and Enhanced=ON. What file in SCO or what lines in
    > > the termcap are causing this problem to reoccur?

  5. Re: Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login

    I have looked into the termcap file and do not see any is= strings.
    There are 2 is entries in the terminfo file is2= and is3=, but
    disabling them had no effect. So the question is, where can I place the
    command and what is the command for Enhanced=off? Could it be an extra
    line in the termcap file since enhance=on is the default?

    Bill Vermillion wrote:
    > In article <1155572640.247805.59400@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.c om>,
    > lansman54 wrote:
    > >I have a client with about a dozen Wyse150 terminals. We need to set
    > >them up as Wyse150+ emulations with Enhanced=OFF in order to perform
    > >local printing without passing the output to the screen. Problem is,
    > >each time someone logs off and then logs back on, these two settings
    > >revert to Wyse150 and Enhanced=ON. What file in SCO or what lines in
    > >the termcap are causing this problem to reoccur?

    > What you need to do is look at the termcap file for that terminal
    > and look for the string that starts :is= [followed by a lot
    > of code].
    >
    > You need to look at your manual [I hope you have one that lists
    > all the codes you can send to the terminal by software to set
    > it in place], find the codes you need, and modify that string.
    >
    > To be save you could duplicate the entire entry and change it's
    > name to 'wy50-mod' or something like that, and then test the
    > modifications there.
    >
    > When I had a site with several different applications that all
    > wanted to diddle the terminal settings, and did NOT reset them
    > properly on exit, from the menu that called them I cat'ed the
    > string I wished to the terminal to set it to the same mode
    > as start up.
    >
    > I don't know where to point you to documentation on termcap
    > or your terminal. I first got a 25 page 'book' on termcap
    > programming that cost me $25 back in 1983 - when even O'Reilly
    > didn't have anything like that. If you carefully look at
    > the termcap strings you'll find they aren't as daunting as they
    > appear at first look.
    >
    > Bill
    >

    > --
    > Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  6. Re: Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login

    In article <1155653524.501100.259880@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups. com>,
    lansman54 wrote:
    >I have looked into the termcap file and do not see any is= strings.
    >There are 2 is entries in the terminfo file is2= and is3=, but
    >disabling them had no effect. So the question is, where can I place the
    >command and what is the command for Enhanced=off? Could it be an extra
    >line in the termcap file since enhance=on is the default?

    Then you should be able to add an :is= string - after you find
    out what the codes are. I have no idea for what the enhanced
    command is and I've have a hard time putting my hand on my old
    Wyse 50 tech manual that has all the info. If you have a lot of
    terminals the tech manual is almost indispensable. It even tells
    you what keys to press when the terminal looks inoperative with an
    error code displayed at the bottom. That was the best $50 I spent
    as it was returned many times over when the HW techs declareed a
    terminal dead and needed to be replace.d

    Customers really liked not having to buy new and expensive
    hardward. At one other place with a LOTS of terminals, I showed
    them how to swap the boards - with a $50 exchange fee from a
    terminal serice house. Dead simple - and so many places seemed to
    take advantage of clients who had no technical knowledge.
    That's why I used to say I'd get more respect if I told them I was
    a used-car salesman or a lawyer, as computer-consultants were a
    step lower on the rung. And from what I see it's not gotten a
    whole lot better - considering the telco company couldn't figure
    out a T1 problem for a client, and I talked them through about 3
    steps to get things working.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  7. Re: Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login

    As I recall, those Wyse terminals were scancode terminals. If scancode
    is on the system will try to do some keyboard mapping based on values
    in /etc/ttytypes. If your user's application doesn't need it, try
    shutting off scancode. Or make sure that /etc/ttytypes matches the
    actual terminal type.

    Check the manual pages for scanoff(M), scancode(HW), mapkey(M),
    ttytype(F).

    Some applications send their own initialization strings outside of the
    terminfo/termcap framework.

    --RLR

    lansman54 wrote:
    > I am describing the built in menu by pressing shift-setup at the same
    > time. We are on SCO OpenServer 5.06 I believe. The important value to
    > me is the enhance=OFF setting from the menu which keeps getting reset
    > to =ON
    >
    > ThreeStar wrote:
    > > Your post isn't clear what values you're describing or what version of
    > > SCO. Some applications reset terminals so what the users do after
    > > logging in could be relevant, too.
    > >
    > > That said, it sounds like you're describing the Wyse150 built-in menu.
    > > Are the changes being saved?
    > >
    > > --RLR
    > >
    > > lansman54 wrote:
    > > > I have a client with about a dozen Wyse150 terminals. We need to set
    > > > them up as Wyse150+ emulations with Enhanced=OFF in order to perform
    > > > local printing without passing the output to the screen. Problem is,
    > > > each time someone logs off and then logs back on, these two settings
    > > > revert to Wyse150 and Enhanced=ON. What file in SCO or what lines in
    > > > the termcap are causing this problem to reoccur?

  8. Re: Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login

    lansman54 wrote:
    > I have looked into the termcap file and do not see any is= strings.
    > There are 2 is entries in the terminfo file is2= and is3=, but
    > disabling them had no effect. So the question is, where can I place the
    > command and what is the command for Enhanced=off? Could it be an extra
    > line in the termcap file since enhance=on is the default?

    Are you sure it's an application causing the problem and, if so, that
    the application is using termcap and not terminfo? You'll need to
    check the terminal description for whichever is appropriate. If you're
    unsure whether the problem is caused by an application, try checking
    the terminal's menu before you start and after you exit each
    application. This should tell you which one (or possibly none or many)
    is the culprit. Does powering the terminal off and then on again cause
    the settings to revert?

  9. Re: Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login

    According to my Wyse 160 (not 150) manual, enhance mode on is
    Esc ~ !
    and off is
    Esc ~ space
    The enhancements apply to non-native emulations. So for instance, if the
    terminal is in ADDS VP mode, and enhance mode is on, some additional
    escape sequences will be recognized, which are not recognized in an actual
    ADDS VP.

    Regards,
    .....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.

    personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com
    company e-mail: rsi@anzio.com
    fax: (US) 503-624-0760
    web: http://www.anzio.com

  10. Re: Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login

    Bob Rasmussen wrote:
    > According to my Wyse 160 (not 150) manual, enhance mode on is
    > Esc ~ !

    And \E~! is referenced in the wy120 entry (which is referenced by the
    wy150 entry) in both termcap (see r1 capability) and terminfo (see rs1
    capability) on my 507 system.

    > and off is
    > Esc ~ space
    > The enhancements apply to non-native emulations. So for instance, if the
    > terminal is in ADDS VP mode, and enhance mode is on, some additional
    > escape sequences will be recognized, which are not recognized in an actual
    > ADDS VP.
    >
    > Regards,
    > ....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.
    >
    > personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com
    > company e-mail: rsi@anzio.com
    > voice: (US) 503-624-0360 (9:00-6:00 Pacific Time)
    > fax: (US) 503-624-0760
    > web: http://www.anzio.com

  11. Re: Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login

    I have tried inserting these strings into the termcap file and even
    disabled the "is" strings on the terminfo entry with no change
    whatsoever. The correct version of Openserver is 5.07 and we are
    running filePro as the application. Is there another process in 5.07
    which I should be looking for?

    Roger Cornelius wrote:
    > Bob Rasmussen wrote:
    > > According to my Wyse 160 (not 150) manual, enhance mode on is
    > > Esc ~ !

    > And \E~! is referenced in the wy120 entry (which is referenced by the
    > wy150 entry) in both termcap (see r1 capability) and terminfo (see rs1
    > capability) on my 507 system.
    >

    > > and off is
    > > Esc ~ space
    > > The enhancements apply to non-native emulations. So for instance, if the
    > > terminal is in ADDS VP mode, and enhance mode is on, some additional
    > > escape sequences will be recognized, which are not recognized in an actual
    > > ADDS VP.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > ....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.
    > >
    > > personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com
    > > company e-mail: rsi@anzio.com
    > > voice: (US) 503-624-0360 (9:00-6:00 Pacific Time)
    > > fax: (US) 503-624-0760
    > > web: http://www.anzio.com

  12. Re: Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login

    lansman54 wrote:
    > I have a client with about a dozen Wyse150 terminals. We need to set
    > them up as Wyse150+ emulations with Enhanced=OFF in order to perform
    > local printing without passing the output to the screen. Problem is,
    > each time someone logs off and then logs back on, these two settings
    > revert to Wyse150 and Enhanced=ON. What file in SCO or what lines in
    > the termcap are causing this problem to reoccur?

    You've piqued my interest:

    The WY150 quick-reference[1] doesn't mention what "Enhance" mode does,
    neither does the "Control Sequence" guide [2]. "Enhance" mode *is*
    mentioned in the "Local Setup" guide [3] but again there is no
    description of what it does.

    So, what does it do? Another way of saying this is, what bad effects do
    you see when Enhance=ON?

    Also, what is $TERM set to?

    [1] http://www.wyse.com/service/support/...wits/13402.txt
    [2] http://www.wyse.com/service/support/...menu1.asp?Q=15
    [3] http://www.wyse.com/service/support/...etup1.asp?Q=15

  13. Re: Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login

    Ian Wilson wrote:
    > lansman54 wrote:
    >
    >> I have a client with about a dozen Wyse150 terminals. We need to set
    >> them up as Wyse150+ emulations with Enhanced=OFF in order to perform
    >> local printing without passing the output to the screen. Problem is,
    >> each time someone logs off and then logs back on, these two settings
    >> revert to Wyse150 and Enhanced=ON. What file in SCO or what lines in
    >> the termcap are causing this problem to reoccur?
    >>

    > You've piqued my interest:
    >
    > The WY150 quick-reference[1] doesn't mention what "Enhance" mode does,
    > neither does the "Control Sequence" guide [2]. "Enhance" mode *is*
    > mentioned in the "Local Setup" guide [3] but again there is no
    > description of what it does.
    >
    > So, what does it do? Another way of saying this is, what bad effects do
    > you see when Enhance=ON?
    >
    > Also, what is $TERM set to?
    >
    > [1] http://www.wyse.com/service/support/...wits/13402.txt
    > [2] http://www.wyse.com/service/support/...menu1.asp?Q=15
    > [3] http://www.wyse.com/service/support/...etup1.asp?Q=15

    Hmm, my ancient WY-120/ES manual says
    "Enhance In some nonnative terminal personalities, an
    enhanced set of codes is
    On Recognised by the terminal
    Off Not recognised by the terminal"

    I would have thought Wyse150+ would count as *native* for a Wyse 150. In
    which case 'Enhance=on' ought to do nothing special.

    I think I'd take a spare Wyse 150, do a factory reset, then try other
    emulation modes (and matching $TERM values) one by one until the app
    works happily after logoff, login.

  14. Re: Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login

    lansman54 wrote:
    > I have tried inserting these strings into the termcap file and even
    > disabled the "is" strings on the terminfo entry with no change
    > whatsoever. The correct version of Openserver is 5.07 and we are
    > running filePro as the application. Is there another process in 5.07
    > which I should be looking for?

    As alluded to in a previous post, try disabling r1 in termcap and rs1
    in terminfo. On this 5.0.7 system, those are the capabilities
    containing the problem strings, assuming the info Bob posted is
    correct.

    > Roger Cornelius wrote:
    > > Bob Rasmussen wrote:
    > > > According to my Wyse 160 (not 150) manual, enhance mode on is
    > > > Esc ~ !

    > > And \E~! is referenced in the wy120 entry (which is referenced by the
    > > wy150 entry) in both termcap (see r1 capability) and terminfo (see rs1
    > > capability) on my 507 system.
    > >

    > > > and off is
    > > > Esc ~ space
    > > > The enhancements apply to non-native emulations. So for instance, if the
    > > > terminal is in ADDS VP mode, and enhance mode is on, some additional
    > > > escape sequences will be recognized, which are not recognized in an actual
    > > > ADDS VP.
    > > >
    > > > Regards,
    > > > ....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.
    > > >
    > > > personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com
    > > > company e-mail: rsi@anzio.com
    > > > voice: (US) 503-624-0360 (9:00-6:00 Pacific Time)
    > > > fax: (US) 503-624-0760
    > > > web: http://www.anzio.com

  15. Re: Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login

    When Enhance=ON the local print goes to both the local printer and the
    screen. It has to be changed to Enhance=Off in order for the screen
    scroll to not occur. The Term variable is set to wy150.

    Ian Wilson wrote:
    > lansman54 wrote:
    > > I have a client with about a dozen Wyse150 terminals. We need to set
    > > them up as Wyse150+ emulations with Enhanced=OFF in order to perform
    > > local printing without passing the output to the screen. Problem is,
    > > each time someone logs off and then logs back on, these two settings
    > > revert to Wyse150 and Enhanced=ON. What file in SCO or what lines in
    > > the termcap are causing this problem to reoccur?
    > >

    > You've piqued my interest:
    >
    > The WY150 quick-reference[1] doesn't mention what "Enhance" mode does,
    > neither does the "Control Sequence" guide [2]. "Enhance" mode *is*
    > mentioned in the "Local Setup" guide [3] but again there is no
    > description of what it does.
    >
    > So, what does it do? Another way of saying this is, what bad effects do
    > you see when Enhance=ON?
    >
    > Also, what is $TERM set to?
    >
    > [1] http://www.wyse.com/service/support/...wits/13402.txt
    > [2] http://www.wyse.com/service/support/...menu1.asp?Q=15
    > [3] http://www.wyse.com/service/support/...etup1.asp?Q=15

  16. Re: Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login

    lansman54 wrote:
    > When Enhance=ON the local print goes to both the local printer and the
    > screen. It has to be changed to Enhance=Off in order for the screen
    > scroll to not occur. The Term variable is set to wy150.

    Maybe this has already been mentioned and I missed it, but you can edit
    the termcap PN= entry to be ^X rather than \Ed# when you are not using
    enhanced mode on some terminals, which may prevent the enhanced mode
    from turning on. I don't remember exactly what this cured but that may
    have been the problem.

    --
    William P. Akers E-Mail: billa@mgmindustries.com
    MGM Industries, Inc. Web Site: http://www.mgmindustries.com

  17. Re: Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login

    I tried doing that. There was only a rs1 entry in the terminfo file.
    That did not work. Combine that with my reply to a suggestion below and
    I think that the problem lies somewhere else than within the termcap or
    terminfo files. There have been no changes noticeable from any editing
    of these 2 files. Could it be in another startup process?
    Roger Cornelius wrote:
    > lansman54 wrote:
    > > I have tried inserting these strings into the termcap file and even
    > > disabled the "is" strings on the terminfo entry with no change
    > > whatsoever. The correct version of Openserver is 5.07 and we are
    > > running filePro as the application. Is there another process in 5.07
    > > which I should be looking for?

    > As alluded to in a previous post, try disabling r1 in termcap and rs1
    > in terminfo. On this 5.0.7 system, those are the capabilities
    > containing the problem strings, assuming the info Bob posted is
    > correct.
    >
    > > Roger Cornelius wrote:
    > > >
    > > > And \E~! is referenced in the wy120 entry (which is referenced by the
    > > > wy150 entry) in both termcap (see r1 capability) and terminfo (see rs1
    > > > capability) on my 507 system.

  18. Re: Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login

    Tried changing the PN entry and that too did not change anything. What
    other file could be effecting the startup?
    billa wrote:
    > lansman54 wrote:
    > > When Enhance=ON the local print goes to both the local printer and the
    > > screen. It has to be changed to Enhance=Off in order for the screen
    > > scroll to not occur. The Term variable is set to wy150.

    > Maybe this has already been mentioned and I missed it, but you can edit
    > the termcap PN= entry to be ^X rather than \Ed# when you are not using
    > enhanced mode on some terminals, which may prevent the enhanced mode
    > from turning on. I don't remember exactly what this cured but that may
    > have been the problem.
    >

    > > Ian Wilson wrote:

    > >>You've piqued my interest:
    > >>
    > >>The WY150 quick-reference[1] doesn't mention what "Enhance" mode does,
    > >>neither does the "Control Sequence" guide [2]. "Enhance" mode *is*
    > >>mentioned in the "Local Setup" guide [3] but again there is no
    > >>description of what it does.
    > >>
    > >>So, what does it do? Another way of saying this is, what bad effects do
    > >>you see when Enhance=ON?
    > >>
    > >>Also, what is $TERM set to?
    > >>
    > >>[1] http://www.wyse.com/service/support/...wits/13402.txt
    > >>[2] http://www.wyse.com/service/support/...menu1.asp?Q=15
    > >>[3] http://www.wyse.com/service/support/...etup1.asp?Q=15

    > > .
    > >

    > --
    > William P. Akers E-Mail: billa@mgmindustries.com
    > MGM Industries, Inc. Web Site: http://www.mgmindustries.com
    > Hendersonville TN

  19. Re: Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login

    lansman54 wrote:
    > Tried changing the PN entry and that too did not change anything. What
    > other file could be effecting the startup?

    Again I probably missed this, but if you are printing from an app such
    as filepro which has it's own termcap, there may be a PN entry in it's
    termcap that is affecting this process.

    --
    William P. Akers E-Mail: billa@mgmindustries.com
    MGM Industries, Inc. Web Site: http://www.mgmindustries.com
    Hendersonville TN

  20. Re: Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login

    In article <1155920131.175291.189960@74g2000cwt.googlegroups.c om>,
    lansman54 wrote:

    >Tried changing the PN entry and that too did not change anything. What
    >other file could be effecting the startup?

    What program are you using.

    Some programs I've seen - have what you could call and auxilliary
    termcap entry, that has lines in it that just ovellay those same
    ones in the standard termcap.

    I've seen other programs with their own private termcap so telling
    us what applications you are using >may< help. THen again it
    may not :-)

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com