USB hard drive for backup - SCO

This is a discussion on USB hard drive for backup - SCO ; I've just upgraded a clients server to Openserver 5.0.7 and they are keen to use a Lacie USB hard disk for backing up the server. My concern is that they want to unplug the drive every day to take it ...

  1. USB hard drive for backup

    I've just upgraded a clients server to Openserver 5.0.7 and they are
    keen to use a Lacie USB hard disk for backing up the server. My
    concern is that they want to unplug the drive every day to take it
    offsite, possibly to be replaced by or two others.

    I've no experience of installing additional drives, neither USB hard
    drives. I've read about mkdev hd and divvy etc to get the drive
    working. I guess the hard drive would need mounting. Surely, it would
    require unmounting if they removed it. I read somewhere about a
    routine required to administer removeable hard drives. I think this is
    probably what I need.

    Has anybody got any experience of doing this and can give me some
    pointers.

    Thanks

    Shaun

  2. Re: USB hard drive for backup

    Stick it in, verify it was recognized via console output or hwconfig,
    type mkdev hd (type in address as stated by config line), which will
    run divvy allowing you to make slices, etc.

    My biggest advice is not to move around your USB topology since OSR507
    can get confused based on enumeration order (if you have multiple disks
    and you switch then around constantly).

    Btw, your would be WAY BETTER off with OSR6 in terms of performance and
    general hot-plug capabilities.

    -aps

    scamper wrote:
    > I've just upgraded a clients server to Openserver 5.0.7 and they are
    > keen to use a Lacie USB hard disk for backing up the server. My
    > concern is that they want to unplug the drive every day to take it
    > offsite, possibly to be replaced by or two others.
    >
    > I've no experience of installing additional drives, neither USB hard
    > drives. I've read about mkdev hd and divvy etc to get the drive
    > working. I guess the hard drive would need mounting. Surely, it would
    > require unmounting if they removed it. I read somewhere about a
    > routine required to administer removeable hard drives. I think this is
    > probably what I need.
    >
    > Has anybody got any experience of doing this and can give me some
    > pointers.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Shaun

+ Reply to Thread