VisionFS upgrade - SCO

This is a discussion on VisionFS upgrade - SCO ; I've got a client that is *finally* setting up a network - they're currently running 5.0.5 which shipped with VisionFS ver 2.something. I cannot get the darned thing to licence correctly. SCO's website states that version 3 is a free ...

  1. VisionFS upgrade

    I've got a client that is *finally* setting up a network - they're currently
    running 5.0.5 which shipped with VisionFS ver 2.something. I cannot get the
    darned thing to licence correctly.

    SCO's website states that version 3 is a free upgrade, but every link I try
    is either dead or a dead-end. Anybody know if this is still available?

    TIA

    MKFuller

  2. Re: VisionFS upgrade

    On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 08:39:52 -0700, "M Fuller"
    wrote:

    >I've got a client that is *finally* setting up a network - they're currently
    >running 5.0.5 which shipped with VisionFS ver 2.something. I cannot get the
    >darned thing to licence correctly.
    >
    >SCO's website states that version 3 is a free upgrade, but every link I try
    >is either dead or a dead-end. Anybody know if this is still available?
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >MKFuller

    What are you trying to accomplish/Are you married to using VisionFS?
    Samba installs quite easily on 5.0.5, you can get the VOLs here:

    ftp://ftp2.sco.com/skunkware/osr5/vo...2.2.6-VOLS.tar

    ....and a bit of a "HowTo" can be found in TA 119726.

    Scott McMillan

  3. Re: VisionFS upgrade

    Scott,

    Well, I'm not exactly married to VFS... cohabitating, perhaps. It's more a
    question of time - I'm currently buried by other projects & VisionFS is
    something I'm familiar with and can get running quickly. Usually, at any
    rate.

    Thank you for pointing me in right direction on Samba. The TA seems pretty
    straight forward, so at the very least I've got a solid Plan B ready.

    MKFuller

    "Scott McMillan" wrote in message
    newslj1d2lgbc53lsbe65guch6m44t29qkg5j@4ax.com...
    > On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 08:39:52 -0700, "M Fuller"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I've got a client that is *finally* setting up a network - they're

    currently
    > >running 5.0.5 which shipped with VisionFS ver 2.something. I cannot get

    the
    > >darned thing to licence correctly.
    > >
    > >SCO's website states that version 3 is a free upgrade, but every link I

    try
    > >is either dead or a dead-end. Anybody know if this is still available?
    > >
    > >TIA
    > >
    > >MKFuller
    > >

    > What are you trying to accomplish/Are you married to using VisionFS?
    > Samba installs quite easily on 5.0.5, you can get the VOLs here:
    >
    > ftp://ftp2.sco.com/skunkware/osr5/vo...2.2.6-VOLS.tar
    >
    > ...and a bit of a "HowTo" can be found in TA 119726.
    >

    > Scott McMillan

  4. Re: VisionFS upgrade

    On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:37:13 -0700, "M Fuller"
    wrote:

    >"Scott McMillan" wrote in message
    >newslj1d2lgbc53lsbe65guch6m44t29qkg5j@4ax.com...
    >> On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 08:39:52 -0700, "M Fuller"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I've got a client that is *finally* setting up a network - they're

    >currently
    >> >running 5.0.5 which shipped with VisionFS ver 2.something. I cannot get

    >the
    >> >darned thing to licence correctly.
    >> >
    >> >SCO's website states that version 3 is a free upgrade, but every link I

    >try
    >> >is either dead or a dead-end. Anybody know if this is still available?
    >> >
    >> >TIA
    >> >
    >> >MKFuller
    >> >

    >> What are you trying to accomplish/Are you married to using VisionFS?
    >> Samba installs quite easily on 5.0.5, you can get the VOLs here:
    >>
    >> ftp://ftp2.sco.com/skunkware/osr5/vo...2.2.6-VOLS.tar
    >>
    >> ...and a bit of a "HowTo" can be found in TA 119726.
    >>

    >> Scott McMillan

    >Scott,
    >
    >Well, I'm not exactly married to VFS... cohabitating, perhaps. It's more a
    >question of time - I'm currently buried by other projects & VisionFS is
    >something I'm familiar with and can get running quickly. Usually, at any
    >rate.
    >
    >Thank you for pointing me in right direction on Samba. The TA seems pretty
    >straight forward, so at the very least I've got a solid Plan B ready.
    >
    >MKFuller

    I don't think you will find too much on VisionFS anymore - Seems to me
    the Tarantella group (used to be SCO, before The SCO Group (?)) took
    off with it and eventually let it fall. Samba seems to be the SMB
    implementation of choice, and really is fairly simple to get up and
    running.

    Good luck, hope you get it worked out.

    Scott McMillan

  5. Re: VisionFS upgrade

    "M Fuller" wrote in message
    news:ytednY0T7MfdWk3ZnZ2dnUVZ_u2dnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > I've got a client that is *finally* setting up a network - they're
    > currently
    > running 5.0.5 which shipped with VisionFS ver 2.something. I cannot get
    > the
    > darned thing to licence correctly.
    >
    > SCO's website states that version 3 is a free upgrade, but every link I
    > try
    > is either dead or a dead-end. Anybody know if this is still available?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > MKFuller

    I've got the VFS3 files, if you want them; send me an E-mail and I'll give
    you an FTP site to download them from.

    --
    Richard Seeder
    AApex Information Systems