Com 1 sticks at 2400 baud - SCO

This is a discussion on Com 1 sticks at 2400 baud - SCO ; With OSR505 Connected a serial printer to tty1a. No succes, all I get is a few blurred chars every some seconds. So is there a login prompting going there, at the wrong speed? Speed must be 9600 baud and no ...

  1. Com 1 sticks at 2400 baud

    With OSR505
    Connected a serial printer to tty1a. No succes, all I get is a few blurred
    chars every some seconds.
    So is there a login prompting going there, at the wrong speed?
    Speed must be 9600 baud and no login
    I can't disable the port because it already is, I can send stty 9600 <
    /dev/tty1a but asking the speed gives 2400 again.
    There is no getty in ps-el for tty1a

    In both /etc/inittab and /etc/conf/init.d/sio the port is initiated m (for
    9600), the line looks the same as tty2a wich works fine.
    How can this be overruled? Or maybe the port is protected against change
    somehow?

    Flip Kalee
    Konitech el
    Holland

  2. Re: Com 1 sticks at 2400 baud

    On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 15:23:46 +0200, "Flip"
    wrote:

    >With OSR505
    >Connected a serial printer to tty1a. No succes, all I get is a few blurred
    >chars every some seconds.
    >So is there a login prompting going there, at the wrong speed?
    >Speed must be 9600 baud and no login
    >I can't disable the port because it already is, I can send stty 9600 <
    >/dev/tty1a but asking the speed gives 2400 again.
    >There is no getty in ps-el for tty1a
    >
    >In both /etc/inittab and /etc/conf/init.d/sio the port is initiated m (for
    >9600), the line looks the same as tty2a wich works fine.
    >How can this be overruled? Or maybe the port is protected against change
    >somehow?
    >
    >Flip Kalee
    >Konitech el
    >Holland

    Is tty1A enabled? (Se1A in inittab/sio)

    Scott McMillan

  3. Re: Com 1 sticks at 2400 baud

    "Scott McMillan" schreef in bericht
    > On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 15:23:46 +0200, "Flip"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >With OSR505
    > >Connected a serial printer to tty1a. No succes, all I get is a few

    blurred
    > >chars every some seconds.
    > >So is there a login prompting going there, at the wrong speed?
    > >Speed must be 9600 baud and no login
    > >I can't disable the port because it already is, I can send stty 9600 <
    > >/dev/tty1a but asking the speed gives 2400 again.
    > >There is no getty in ps-el for tty1a
    > >
    > >In both /etc/inittab and /etc/conf/init.d/sio the port is initiated m

    (for
    > >9600), the line looks the same as tty2a wich works fine.
    > >How can this be overruled? Or maybe the port is protected against change
    > >somehow?
    > >
    > >Flip Kalee
    > >Konitech el
    > >Holland
    > >

    > Is tty1A enabled? (Se1A in inittab/sio)
    >

    > Scott McMillan

    No, it's not
    Flip

  4. Re: Com 1 sticks at 2400 baud

    In article <44d0a750$0$429$19deed1b@news.inter.NL.net>,
    Flip wrote:
    >With OSR505
    >Connected a serial printer to tty1a. No succes, all I get is a few blurred
    >chars every some seconds.
    >So is there a login prompting going there, at the wrong speed?
    >Speed must be 9600 baud and no login
    >I can't disable the port because it already is, I can send stty 9600 <
    >/dev/tty1a but asking the speed gives 2400 again.
    >There is no getty in ps-el for tty1a
    >
    >In both /etc/inittab and /etc/conf/init.d/sio the port is initiated m (for
    >9600), the line looks the same as tty2a wich works fine.
    >How can this be overruled? Or maybe the port is protected against change
    >somehow?

    If it's already disabled, the lines in /etc/inittab and /etc/conf/init.d/sio
    should by 'off' and so have no effect. The default speed for serial ports is
    9600, so that's what you should see. Do:

    /etc/fuser /dev/tty1[aA]

    to see if any other processes have the port open.

    John

  5. Re: Com 1 sticks at 2400 baud

    "John DuBois" schreef in bericht
    > In article <44d0a750$0$429$19deed1b@news.inter.NL.net>,
    > Flip wrote:
    > >With OSR505
    > >Connected a serial printer to tty1a. No succes, all I get is a few

    blurred
    > >chars every some seconds.
    > >So is there a login prompting going there, at the wrong speed?
    > >Speed must be 9600 baud and no login
    > >I can't disable the port because it already is, I can send stty 9600 <
    > >/dev/tty1a but asking the speed gives 2400 again.
    > >There is no getty in ps-el for tty1a
    > >
    > >In both /etc/inittab and /etc/conf/init.d/sio the port is initiated m

    (for
    > >9600), the line looks the same as tty2a wich works fine.
    > >How can this be overruled? Or maybe the port is protected against change
    > >somehow?

    > If it's already disabled, the lines in /etc/inittab and

    /etc/conf/init.d/sio
    > should by 'off' and so have no effect. The default speed for serial ports

    is
    > 9600, so that's what you should see. Do:
    >
    > /etc/fuser /dev/tty1[aA]
    >
    > to see if any other processes have the port open.
    >
    > John
    > --
    > John DuBois spcecdt@armory.com KC6QKZ/AE

    http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/

    That's it!
    I didn't know /etc/fuser
    This gave me the PID of upsd which in turn belongs to our APC power backup
    battery.
    It's software is not in use but it is installed and it does use COM1
    Thanks very much,
    Flip

+ Reply to Thread