Mozilla 1.7.13 Mail & Newsgroups window on OSR6 - SCO

This is a discussion on Mozilla 1.7.13 Mail & Newsgroups window on OSR6 - SCO ; After installing mozilla 1.7.13 from SCO's website on OSR6 w/MP2, I no longer have access to newsgroups or local folders in the Mail & Newsgroups window. The accounts for the news servers and local folders are listed, but I'm unable ...

  1. Mozilla 1.7.13 Mail & Newsgroups window on OSR6

    After installing mozilla 1.7.13 from SCO's website on OSR6 w/MP2, I no
    longer have access to newsgroups or local folders in the Mail &
    Newsgroups window. The accounts for the news servers and local folders
    are listed, but I'm unable to expand them to see the newsgroups or
    folders inside them and consequently, the messages they contain. In
    mozilla 1.7.12, there was a "+" next to each account which, when
    clicked on, expanded the view to show the newsgroups subscribed to. In
    mozilla 1.7.13, the "+" is missing and there doesn't seem to be a way
    to expand the view.

    If I select File -> New -> Account and create a new account, I can
    subscribe to newsgroups and they will appear in an expanded view in the
    pane which lists the accounts. But once I quit mozilla and restart it
    the newsgroups have disappeared and only the accounts are listed. If I
    double click any of the listed news server accounts, a status message
    at the bottom of the screen indicates mozilla is checking for new
    messages in the subscribed groups; there just doesn't seem to be a way
    for me to get to them.

    I tried moving my existing ~/.mozilla dir out of the way so mozilla
    would start with a fresh config, but that didn't help. As a last
    resort, I tried removing the 1.7.13 update to return to 1.7.12 but the
    process removed mozilla entirely.

    Is there some trick I'm missing to make this work?

  2. Re: Mozilla 1.7.13 Mail & Newsgroups window on OSR6

    Roger Cornelius wrote:
    > After installing mozilla 1.7.13 from SCO's website on OSR6 w/MP2, I no
    > longer have access to newsgroups or local folders in the Mail &
    > Newsgroups window. The accounts for the news servers and local folders
    > are listed, but I'm unable to expand them to see the newsgroups or
    > folders inside them and consequently, the messages they contain. In
    > mozilla 1.7.12, there was a "+" next to each account which, when
    > clicked on, expanded the view to show the newsgroups subscribed to. In
    > mozilla 1.7.13, the "+" is missing and there doesn't seem to be a way
    > to expand the view.
    >
    > If I select File -> New -> Account and create a new account, I can
    > subscribe to newsgroups and they will appear in an expanded view in the
    > pane which lists the accounts. But once I quit mozilla and restart it
    > the newsgroups have disappeared and only the accounts are listed. If I
    > double click any of the listed news server accounts, a status message
    > at the bottom of the screen indicates mozilla is checking for new
    > messages in the subscribed groups; there just doesn't seem to be a way
    > for me to get to them.
    >
    > I tried moving my existing ~/.mozilla dir out of the way so mozilla
    > would start with a fresh config, but that didn't help. As a last
    > resort, I tried removing the 1.7.13 update to return to 1.7.12 but the
    > process removed mozilla entirely.
    >
    > Is there some trick I'm missing to make this work?

    Double-click the news account to get mozilla to read new messages. Then,
    from another (email) account, use the 'n' key to go to the next message.

    Of course, this does not help to open a folder with only saved email.

    Bob Cole

  3. Re: Mozilla 1.7.13 Mail & Newsgroups window on OSR6

    Bob Cole wrote:
    > Roger Cornelius wrote:
    > > After installing mozilla 1.7.13 from SCO's website on OSR6 w/MP2, I no
    > > longer have access to newsgroups or local folders in the Mail &
    > > Newsgroups window. The accounts for the news servers and local folders
    > > are listed, but I'm unable to expand them to see the newsgroups or
    > > folders inside them and consequently, the messages they contain. In
    > > mozilla 1.7.12, there was a "+" next to each account which, when
    > > clicked on, expanded the view to show the newsgroups subscribed to. In
    > > mozilla 1.7.13, the "+" is missing and there doesn't seem to be a way
    > > to expand the view.
    > >
    > > If I select File -> New -> Account and create a new account, I can
    > > subscribe to newsgroups and they will appear in an expanded view in the
    > > pane which lists the accounts. But once I quit mozilla and restart it
    > > the newsgroups have disappeared and only the accounts are listed. If I
    > > double click any of the listed news server accounts, a status message
    > > at the bottom of the screen indicates mozilla is checking for new
    > > messages in the subscribed groups; there just doesn't seem to be a way
    > > for me to get to them.
    > >
    > > I tried moving my existing ~/.mozilla dir out of the way so mozilla
    > > would start with a fresh config, but that didn't help. As a last
    > > resort, I tried removing the 1.7.13 update to return to 1.7.12 but the
    > > process removed mozilla entirely.
    > >
    > > Is there some trick I'm missing to make this work?
    > >

    > Double-click the news account to get mozilla to read new messages. Then,
    > from another (email) account, use the 'n' key to go to the next message.
    >
    > Of course, this does not help to open a folder with only saved email.

    I experimented with this a bit this morning and I see what you mean.
    Clicking on a mail account gives me the option to "Read Messages",
    which when clicked on, expands the account to show me the folders
    inside. If I then select the last folder under the account and press
    "n", I'm prompted with "Advance to next unread message in ...".
    Clicking OK does expand the next account's view to display the
    newsgroups inside. This is a pretty round-about and annoying way to
    read newsgroups though and I have to think there is some problem with
    this version of mozilla in this respect. There does not seem to be a
    direct way to open a news account and see/read the groups inside it.

    Is anyone else using "Mail & Newsgroups" to read news on mozilla 1.7.13?

  4. Re: Mozilla 1.7.13 Mail & Newsgroups window on OSR6

    Roger Cornelius wrote:
    > After installing mozilla 1.7.13 from SCO's website on OSR6 w/MP2, I no
    > longer have access to newsgroups or local folders in the Mail &
    > Newsgroups window. The accounts for the news servers and local folders
    > are listed, but I'm unable to expand them to see the newsgroups or
    > folders inside them and consequently, the messages they contain. In
    > mozilla 1.7.12, there was a "+" next to each account which, when
    > clicked on, expanded the view to show the newsgroups subscribed to. In
    > mozilla 1.7.13, the "+" is missing and there doesn't seem to be a way
    > to expand the view.
    >
    > If I select File -> New -> Account and create a new account, I can
    > subscribe to newsgroups and they will appear in an expanded view in the
    > pane which lists the accounts. But once I quit mozilla and restart it
    > the newsgroups have disappeared and only the accounts are listed. If I
    > double click any of the listed news server accounts, a status message
    > at the bottom of the screen indicates mozilla is checking for new
    > messages in the subscribed groups; there just doesn't seem to be a way
    > for me to get to them.
    >
    > I tried moving my existing ~/.mozilla dir out of the way so mozilla
    > would start with a fresh config, but that didn't help. As a last
    > resort, I tried removing the 1.7.13 update to return to 1.7.12 but the
    > process removed mozilla entirely.
    >
    > Is there some trick I'm missing to make this work?

    No trick. The problem is fixed by installing the updated Mozilla
    1.7.13Ba package available from the SCO website.

+ Reply to Thread