printerserver - SCO

This is a discussion on printerserver - SCO ; Hi, For many years we have been using serial printers. Nowadays they also come with builtin ethernet connection. I managed to connect 2 printers this way: Started HP Network Print Services, added them with HP Network Printer manager. IP# 's ...

  1. printerserver

    Hi,
    For many years we have been using serial printers.
    Nowadays they also come with builtin ethernet connection.
    I managed to connect 2 printers this way: Started HP Network Print Services,
    added them with HP Network Printer manager. IP# 's added to /etc/hosts

    There are some more printers with only serial and parallel interfaces. So I
    put a printerserver directly at the printer's centronics connector, gave it
    an IP# and added it to the /etc/hosts file. Adding the printer with the HP
    Network Printer Manager should do it, I thought...

    Now I can ping to the printerserver. I cannot print. The file remains
    waiting in the spooler. So where do I go wrong? Or what more should I check?
    (OSR5.05)

    Flip Kalee
    Konitech el bv
    Holland

  2. Re: printerserver

    In article <44cddea8$0$15872$19deed1b@news.inter.NL.net>,
    Flip wrote:
    >Hi,
    >For many years we have been using serial printers.
    >Nowadays they also come with builtin ethernet connection.
    >I managed to connect 2 printers this way: Started HP Network Print Services,
    >added them with HP Network Printer manager. IP# 's added to /etc/hosts
    >
    >There are some more printers with only serial and parallel interfaces. So I
    >put a printerserver directly at the printer's centronics connector, gave it
    >an IP# and added it to the /etc/hosts file. Adding the printer with the HP
    >Network Printer Manager should do it, I thought...
    >
    >Now I can ping to the printerserver. I cannot print. The file remains
    >waiting in the spooler. So where do I go wrong? Or what more should I check?
    >(OSR5.05)
    >

    >Flip Kalee
    >Konitech el bv
    >Holland

    Not all print servers use the same port addresses as HP does.

    It might help if you posted the brand and model of the printserver
    you are using.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  3. Re: printerserver

    Flip wrote:
    > Hi,
    > For many years we have been using serial printers.
    > Nowadays they also come with builtin ethernet connection.
    > I managed to connect 2 printers this way: Started HP Network Print Services,
    > added them with HP Network Printer manager. IP# 's added to /etc/hosts
    >
    > There are some more printers with only serial and parallel interfaces. So I
    > put a printerserver directly at the printer's centronics connector, gave it
    > an IP# and added it to the /etc/hosts file. Adding the printer with the HP
    > Network Printer Manager should do it, I thought...
    >
    > Now I can ping to the printerserver. I cannot print. The file remains
    > waiting in the spooler. So where do I go wrong? Or what more should I check?
    > (OSR5.05)

    What make/model of printserver? I'd only consider using HPNP with HP
    made network printers/printservers. IIRC HPNP needs SNMP enabled at the
    printer end.

    I see three obvious ways of printing to networked printers with OSR505,
    in order of preference:

    1) netcat
    2) lpd
    3) hpnp

    See Brian White's recent postings for a netcat bundle that should be
    easy to obtain, install, configure and use.

  4. Re: printerserver

    In article ,
    Ian Wilson wrote:
    >Flip wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> For many years we have been using serial printers.
    >> Nowadays they also come with builtin ethernet connection.
    >> I managed to connect 2 printers this way: Started HP Network Print Services,
    >> added them with HP Network Printer manager. IP# 's added to /etc/hosts
    >>
    >> There are some more printers with only serial and parallel interfaces. So I
    >> put a printerserver directly at the printer's centronics connector, gave it
    >> an IP# and added it to the /etc/hosts file. Adding the printer with the HP
    >> Network Printer Manager should do it, I thought...
    >>
    >> Now I can ping to the printerserver. I cannot print. The file remains
    >> waiting in the spooler. So where do I go wrong? Or what more should I check?
    >> (OSR5.05)
    >>

    >What make/model of printserver? I'd only consider using HPNP
    >with HP made network printers/printservers. IIRC HPNP needs SNMP
    >enabled at the printer end.

    Since the OP never mentioned the brand name of the print server,
    that's why I asked the question. I've used at least a couple
    different brands that plug directly onto the Centronics connector.

    Does HP make one like that. The ones I currently have at a
    customers site are Axis and work well. There are others that don't
    play well.

    Some of the 3port HP devices ahd problems if the first printer
    on the server got disconnected. Then nothing work. I don't know
    if they've fixed that - but they should have by now.

    >I see three obvious ways of printing to networked printers with
    >OSR505, in order of preference:

    >1) netcat
    >2) lpd
    >3) hpnp

    >See Brian White's recent postings for a netcat bundle that should be
    >easy to obtain, install, configure and use.

    I've been using netcat for years, and have been posting here long
    before Brian came aboard. 23 years of Unix admin have taught me a
    lot - and many from the ideas put forth by Jeff, "learn by
    destroying".

    Until we find out what brand of print server the OP is using, so
    we can tell him what port to use, he's going to be SOL.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  5. Re: printerserver

    "Bill Vermillion" schreef in bericht news:J39xzC.6DK@wjv.com...
    > In article <44cddea8$0$15872$19deed1b@news.inter.NL.net>,
    > Flip wrote:
    > >Hi,
    > >For many years we have been using serial printers.
    > >Nowadays they also come with builtin ethernet connection.
    > >I managed to connect 2 printers this way: Started HP Network Print

    Services,
    > >added them with HP Network Printer manager. IP# 's added to /etc/hosts
    > >
    > >There are some more printers with only serial and parallel interfaces. So

    > >put a printerserver directly at the printer's centronics connector, gave

    it
    > >an IP# and added it to the /etc/hosts file. Adding the printer with the

    HP
    > >Network Printer Manager should do it, I thought...
    > >
    > >Now I can ping to the printerserver. I cannot print. The file remains
    > >waiting in the spooler. So where do I go wrong? Or what more should I

    check?
    > >(OSR5.05)
    > >

    > >Flip Kalee
    > >Konitech el bv
    > >Holland
    > >

    > Not all print servers use the same port addresses as HP does.
    >
    > It might help if you posted the brand and model of the printserver
    > you are using.
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > --
    > Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    The printserver is a Edimax, model PS-1206P
    In it's settings I can't specify any port adress, only DHCP.BOOTP on or off,
    IP#, Subnetmask#, Gateway# and DHCP server On or Off

    On the display of a Mannesmann-Tally (MT-360) it says 'Hardware alarm' when
    a small file is sent to it.

    A Nec P2X (no display, fewer options) does not print. In this case the
    spooler is emptied.
    This printer does print with the printserver on a Windows pc.

    Maybe I do need to try a different brand...

    Flip

  6. Re: printerserver

    In article <44cf19d8$0$427$19deed1b@news.inter.NL.net>,
    Flip wrote:

    >"Bill Vermillion" schreef in bericht news:J39xzC.6DK@wjv.com...
    >> In article <44cddea8$0$15872$19deed1b@news.inter.NL.net>,
    >> Flip wrote:
    >> >Hi,
    >> >For many years we have been using serial printers.
    >> >Nowadays they also come with builtin ethernet connection.
    >> >I managed to connect 2 printers this way: Started HP Network Print

    >Services,
    >> >added them with HP Network Printer manager. IP# 's added to /etc/hosts
    >> >
    >> >There are some more printers with only serial and parallel interfaces. So

    >> >put a printerserver directly at the printer's centronics connector, gave

    >it
    >> >an IP# and added it to the /etc/hosts file. Adding the printer with the

    >HP
    >> >Network Printer Manager should do it, I thought...
    >> >
    >> >Now I can ping to the printerserver. I cannot print. The file remains
    >> >waiting in the spooler. So where do I go wrong? Or what more should I

    >check?
    >> >(OSR5.05)
    >> >

    >> >Flip Kalee
    >> >Konitech el bv
    >> >Holland
    >> >

    >> Not all print servers use the same port addresses as HP does.
    >>
    >> It might help if you posted the brand and model of the printserver
    >> you are using.
    >>
    >> Bill
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    >The printserver is a Edimax, model PS-1206P In it's settings I
    >can't specify any port adress, only DHCP.BOOTP on or off, IP#,
    >Subnetmask#, Gateway# and DHCP server On or Off

    Normally - at least the ones I've seen - don't let you specify a
    port address, as they come with their own port address.

    I just checked the http://www.learnbydestroying.com/sco/lp
    and the file printservers.htm, and that print server is not listed.
    The list is a bit dated, but it lists many print servers and their
    default port settings.

    Maybe someone else had info on that print server and which port it
    uses. If you know the port you specify that in the netcat line.

    There are some printservers that don't play well with netcat.

    The above sites, or Tony's [pcunix.com] should help.

    >On the display of a Mannesmann-Tally (MT-360) it says 'Hardware
    >alarm' when a small file is sent to it.

    Hm.

    >A Nec P2X (no display, fewer options) does not print. In this
    >case the spooler is emptied. This printer does print with the
    >printserver on a Windows pc.

    And it probably came with it's own setup/drivers for Windows.
    Just because something works on Windows doesn't mean it will work
    elsewhere.

    >Maybe I do need to try a different brand...

    That would probably be the best choice.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  7. Re: printerserver

    Flip wrote:
    > "Bill Vermillion" schreef in bericht
    >
    >> In article <44cddea8$0$15872$19deed1b@news.inter.NL.net>, Flip
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi, For many years we have been using serial printers. Nowadays
    >>> they also come with builtin ethernet connection. I managed to
    >>> connect 2 printers this way: Started HP Network Print Services,
    >>> added them with HP Network Printer manager. IP# 's added to
    >>> /etc/hosts
    >>>
    >>> There are some more printers with only serial and parallel
    >>> interfaces. So I put a printerserver directly at the printer's
    >>> centronics connector, gave it an IP# and added it to the
    >>> /etc/hosts file. Adding the printer with the HP Network Printer
    >>> Manager should do it, I thought...
    >>>
    >>> Now I can ping to the printerserver. I cannot print. The file
    >>> remains waiting in the spooler. So where do I go wrong? Or what
    >>> more should I check (OSR5.05)
    >>>

    >> Not all print servers use the same port addresses as HP does.
    >>
    >> It might help if you posted the brand and model of the printserver
    >> you are using.

    > The printserver is a Edimax, model PS-1206P In it's settings I can't
    > specify any port adress, only DHCP.BOOTP on or off, IP#, Subnetmask#,
    > Gateway# and DHCP server On or Off
    >
    > On the display of a Mannesmann-Tally (MT-360) it says 'Hardware
    > alarm' when a small file is sent to it.
    >
    > A Nec P2X (no display, fewer options) does not print. In this case
    > the spooler is emptied. This printer does print with the printserver
    > on a Windows pc.
    >
    > Maybe I do need to try a different brand...

    The D-Link DP-301P+ works well and is low-cost.

  8. Re: printerserver

    >>> For many years we have been using serial printers.
    >>> Nowadays they also come with builtin ethernet connection.
    >>> I managed to connect 2 printers this way: Started HP Network Print
    >>> Services,
    >>> added them with HP Network Printer manager. IP# 's added to /etc/hosts
    >>>
    >>> There are some more printers with only serial and parallel interfaces.
    >>> So I
    >>> put a printerserver directly at the printer's centronics connector, gave
    >>> it
    >>> an IP# and added it to the /etc/hosts file. Adding the printer with the
    >>> HP
    >>> Network Printer Manager should do it, I thought...
    >>>
    >>> Now I can ping to the printerserver. I cannot print. The file remains
    >>> waiting in the spooler. So where do I go wrong? Or what more should I
    >>> check?
    >>> (OSR5.05)
    >>>

    >>What make/model of printserver? I'd only consider using HPNP
    >>with HP made network printers/printservers. IIRC HPNP needs SNMP
    >>enabled at the printer end.

    > Since the OP never mentioned the brand name of the print server,
    > that's why I asked the question. I've used at least a couple
    > different brands that plug directly onto the Centronics connector.
    >
    > Does HP make one like that. The ones I currently have at a
    > customers site are Axis and work well. There are others that don't
    > play well.
    >
    > Some of the 3port HP devices ahd problems if the first printer
    > on the server got disconnected. Then nothing work. I don't know
    > if they've fixed that - but they should have by now.
    >
    >>I see three obvious ways of printing to networked printers with
    >>OSR505, in order of preference:

    >>1) netcat
    >>2) lpd
    >>3) hpnp

    >>See Brian White's recent postings for a netcat bundle that should be
    >>easy to obtain, install, configure and use.

    > I've been using netcat for years, and have been posting here long
    > before Brian came aboard. 23 years of Unix admin have taught me a
    > lot - and many from the ideas put forth by Jeff, "learn by
    > destroying".

    Just for the record, Hey I agree. I didn't claim to invent netcat.
    Prominently at the top of my script is a link and accreditation to the
    existing netcat faq on Tony's site, which in turn is packed with references
    and links and credits to everything else. Even more prominentlty is the same
    link on the web page where one gets my script.*
    And I do say "based on" not merely something like "similar to" or "works
    like".

    * Well, everything on that page can also be ftp downloaded from Tony's site
    at ftp://pcunix.com/pub/bkw/ where you wouldn't see the web page.
    The ftp site is a little more "you're on your own". Everything that has a
    link on the web page I explain at least minimally on the web page.
    I have other things in the same dir with the web page (and so, mirrored on
    Tony's ftp site) that do not appear in the web page and which I do not care
    to explain or support.
    So if you don't like "binstall", or don't find the archive file names
    meaningful enough, or download something totally borked like my attempt at
    building pine & pico, ... tough.

  9. Re: printerserver

    Flip wrote:
    > "Bill Vermillion" schreef in bericht news:J39xzC.6DK@wjv.com...
    >> In article <44cddea8$0$15872$19deed1b@news.inter.NL.net>,
    >> Flip wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>> For many years we have been using serial printers.
    >>> Nowadays they also come with builtin ethernet connection.
    >>> I managed to connect 2 printers this way: Started HP Network Print

    > Services,
    >>> added them with HP Network Printer manager. IP# 's added to /etc/hosts
    >>>
    >>> There are some more printers with only serial and parallel interfaces. So

    >>> put a printerserver directly at the printer's centronics connector, gave

    > it
    >>> an IP# and added it to the /etc/hosts file. Adding the printer with the

    > HP
    >>> Network Printer Manager should do it, I thought...
    >>>
    >>> Now I can ping to the printerserver. I cannot print. The file remains
    >>> waiting in the spooler. So where do I go wrong? Or what more should I

    > check?
    >>> (OSR5.05)
    >>>

    >>> Flip Kalee
    >>> Konitech el bv
    >>> Holland

    Reading the docs on the web it looks like the printer supports IPP and
    LPR. There is no mention of actual tcp ports. I suggest trying lpr. You
    might try setting netcat ro the lpr port.

  10. Re: printerserver

    > Reading the docs on the web it looks like the printer supports IPP and
    > LPR. There is no mention of actual tcp ports. I suggest trying lpr. You
    > might try setting netcat ro the lpr port.

    You can't send raw (netcat) data to port 515.

  11. Re: printerserver

    Thanks all, for links and advice.
    Never expected that such a little box would cause so much trouble :-)
    Flip

    "Flip" schreef in bericht
    news:44cddea8$0$15872$19deed1b@news.inter.NL.net.. .
    > Hi,
    > For many years we have been using serial printers.
    > Nowadays they also come with builtin ethernet connection.
    > I managed to connect 2 printers this way: Started HP Network Print

    Services,
    > added them with HP Network Printer manager. IP# 's added to /etc/hosts
    >
    > There are some more printers with only serial and parallel interfaces. So

    > put a printerserver directly at the printer's centronics connector, gave

    it
    > an IP# and added it to the /etc/hosts file. Adding the printer with the HP
    > Network Printer Manager should do it, I thought...
    >
    > Now I can ping to the printerserver. I cannot print. The file remains
    > waiting in the spooler. So where do I go wrong? Or what more should I

    check?
    > (OSR5.05)
    >

    > Flip Kalee
    > Konitech el bv
    > Holland

  12. Re: printerserver

    Brian K. White wrote:
    > > Reading the docs on the web it looks like the printer supports IPP and
    > > LPR. There is no mention of actual tcp ports. I suggest trying lpr. You
    > > might try setting netcat ro the lpr port.

    > You can't send raw (netcat) data to port 515.
    >
    > Brian K. White -- brian@aljex.com -- http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    > +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    > filePro BBx Linux SCO FreeBSD #callahans Satriani Filk!

    True, but Carsten Hammer wrote a little wrapper that can be useful for
    testing.

    http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/netcatlpr.html

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    http://aplawrence.com

  13. Re: printerserver

    >> > Reading the docs on the web it looks like the printer supports IPP and
    >> > LPR. There is no mention of actual tcp ports. I suggest trying lpr. You
    >> > might try setting netcat ro the lpr port.

    >> You can't send raw (netcat) data to port 515.
    >>

    > True, but Carsten Hammer wrote a little wrapper that can be useful for
    > testing.
    >
    > http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/netcatlpr.html

    Now that's cool.