Problems with OpenServer 6 - SCO

This is a discussion on Problems with OpenServer 6 - SCO ; Hi all! Here's the configuration that I'm having problems with: Hardware: Asus P5WD2 Motherboard with Marvell Gigabit onboard Intel P4 2.8 GHz Crucial 512 MB memory Asus 64 MB MX4000 video card Adaptec 29160 SCSI adapter Seagate Travan 8 tape ...

  1. Problems with OpenServer 6

    Hi all!

    Here's the configuration that I'm having problems
    with:

    Hardware:
    Asus P5WD2 Motherboard with Marvell Gigabit onboard
    Intel P4 2.8 GHz
    Crucial 512 MB memory
    Asus 64 MB MX4000 video card
    Adaptec 29160 SCSI adapter
    Seagate Travan 8 tape drive
    Two (2) Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB SATA II disks
    Sony 1.44 MB Floppy
    Sony DW-U30 DVD burner
    Moxa CP104JU 4 port RJ45 serial port card

    Software:
    OpenServer 6.0.0
    OpenServer 6 Development System
    Maintenance Pack 2
    Marvell Yukon ethernet driver

    Problem No. 1:
    I had a functioning OpenServer 6 system when
    I checked the SCO web site and saw that there were
    a number of patches that SCO was "recommending" over and
    above Maintenance Pack 2. So, I downloaded them and
    applied them. I had been using my DVD burner to backup
    and restore files without any problems prior to this.
    However, once I applied the patches, my DVD burner and
    IDE driver no longer appeared during the system boot
    process and I could no longer use the DVD drive.

    I wasn't sure what caused the problem, so I did a
    fresh install of OpenServer 6 and then applied the
    patches one by one. I was able to determine that
    the problem was caused by patch 7.1.4d to the IDE
    driver. As soon as that patch was applied, the
    driver would disappear from the boot process.
    However, it was still shown in "pkginfo". I then
    used "pkgrm" to remove the IDE driver and applied
    patches 7.1.4c and 7.1.4b (in that order) from the
    SCO website. Neither one made the DVD drive and
    the IDE interface usable. Unfortunately, 7.1.4a
    (which is what comes with the base operating
    system was not available on the website). Does
    anyone know if this is a defective patch? Could
    I have done something wrong to cause this? How
    can you retrieve the base driver 7.1.4a when a
    patch is installed using "pkgadd" and doesn't
    give you a chance to retain the original files as
    "custom" often did?

    Problem No. 2:
    We all know that OS6 supports large files. In
    addition, the SCO website states that certain
    utilities such as "cdrecord" are supported.
    However, the problem that I have run into is
    as follows: I create a large file and burn it to
    DVD using "mkisofs -r -J -o filename.isoimg"
    and "cdrecord -gracetime=0 -sao filename.isoimag"
    However, when I attempt to extract the file from
    the mounted DVD filesystem, I always get an error
    near the end of the extraction (where the 2 GB
    limit would be) that indicates the "value is too
    large." In researching this on the Internet, it
    would appear that this is a limitation in
    mkisofs (possibly due to the RockRidge/Joiet
    format) and/or cdrecord.

    Does anyone know of a way to get around this
    problem? Why doesn't SCO provide large file
    aware versions of "mkisofs", "cdrecord", and,
    most importantly, "tar"??? If SCO is going
    to force us to change scripts to use the
    "/u95/bin" directory, shouldn't there be
    versions of all the appropriate utilities in
    there?

    I know that most of you will respond by
    indicating that I should be using a supertar.
    I'm quite familiar with these products, but
    they have their own problems. As a dealer
    and software developer, we don't release our
    customer names to anyone. Yet, that is
    exactly what the supertar manufacturer's want
    you to do. In addition, that media may not
    always be compatible with Windows systems.

    I know that this is very long, but I've tried
    to give you as much information as I have
    regarding these 2 problems.

    Please respond if you have any input,

    C. Coulter
    wizard2277@hotmail.com (public address)

  2. Re: Problems with OpenServer 6

    C. Coulter typed (on Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 09:46:49PM -0700):
    ------------------------- clipped ---------------------
    | I know that most of you will respond by
    | indicating that I should be using a supertar.
    | I'm quite familiar with these products, but
    | they have their own problems. As a dealer
    | and software developer, we don't release our
    | customer names to anyone. Yet, that is
    | exactly what the supertar manufacturer's want
    | you to do. In addition, that media may not
    | always be compatible with Windows systems.
    ------------------------- clipped ---------------------
    | Please respond if you have any input,
    |
    | C. Coulter
    | wizard2277@hotmail.com (public address)

    1. What are the problems you are having with any supertar,
    or any other 3rd party backup solution? This forum is
    pretty good at helping on these topics.
    2. You do not need to release your customer's information
    if you do not want or need support. There's a certain
    "paranoia" that use to exist back in the old days around
    giving out end-user info during the registration process.
    Manufacturers would not be doing themselfs any justice
    by trying to "steal" any end-users from a reseller.
    A good reputable manufacturer will know:
    a. Where each S/N is installed.
    b. Who installed it (Releller Info).
    c. Date installed.
    d. Ver/Rel installed.

    3. There are MANY situations that arise that can and will effect
    the relationship between the Manf/Reseller/End-User.
    a. Reseller goes out of business.
    b. End-User goes out of business.
    c. End-User and Reseller have a disagreement, an Invoice does not
    get paid, Reseller stops supporting the End-User. End-User calls
    Manf for support.
    d. End-User call Manuf for support, and Manuf advises EU to call Reseller.
    This happens alot. In many cases we may recommend a newer version
    or an upgrade... and they can and should purchase from the Reseller
    after the problem is solved.

    There are many many more... but the bottom line is: An End-User is
    entitled to get support. If the Manuf is the last line of defense then
    so be it. There are also times when a Manuf is actually the arbitrator
    between the Reseller and End User. Though rare, the end results
    are usually pretty good.

    IT'S IN THE BEST INTEREST OF A MANUFACTURER TO TAKE ALL STEPS TO
    PRESERVE AND PROTECT THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN A RESELLER AND END-USER
    WITHOUT HOLDING EITHER PARTY'S "DATA" HOSTAGE.

    Best Regards,
    Jeffrey Hyman, CEO
    .--.
    ___________________________ .-. | | _____________________________________
    Lone Star Software Corp. | | | | .-. Home of World Famous LONE-TAR(tm)
    Cactus International, Inc. | |_| | | | Backup Software for UNIX and LINUX
    Sales: 800.525.8649 _ |___ |_| | 24x7 Support Available
    Support: 301.829.1622 _| ~- | ___| RESCUE-RANGER(tm) and AIR-BAG(tm)
    http://www.LONE-TAR.com \, _} | | Disaster Recovery Software
    -------------------------- \( -- | | --------------------------------------
    | |

  3. Re: Problems with OpenServer 6

    Jeff Hyman wrote:
> [...]
    > so be it. There are also times when a Manuf is actually the arbitrator
    > between the Reseller and End User. Though rare, the end results
    > are usually pretty good.
    >
    > IT'S IN THE BEST INTEREST OF A MANUFACTURER TO TAKE ALL STEPS TO
    > PRESERVE AND PROTECT THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN A RESELLER AND END-USER
    > WITHOUT HOLDING EITHER PARTY'S "DATA" HOSTAGE.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Jeffrey Hyman, CEO
    > .--.
    > ___________________________ .-. | | _____________________________________
    > Lone Star Software Corp. | | | | .-. Home of World Famous LONE-TAR(tm)
    > Cactus International, Inc. | |_| | | | Backup Software for UNIX and LINUX
    > Sales: 800.525.8649 _ |___ |_| | 24x7 Support Available
    > Support: 301.829.1622 _| ~- | ___| RESCUE-RANGER(tm) and AIR-BAG(tm)

    Jeff:

    My primary interest in this posting was to get
    help with the SCO products/patches that don't
    seem to be working correctly. Unfortunately,
    you did not address either problem.

    However, I will take a moment to respond to
    your posting. We have been in business for
    more than 30 years. We are privately held and
    we have never released customer names to anyone
    nor will we in the future. When we have attempted
    to register supertar products for our customers
    (as recently as 6 months ago), we were told that
    they could not be registered without an end
    user name.

    We write all our own software. This includes
    backup scripts that run by themselves at 2:00 a.m.
    If a customer is using a supertar, they never
    see the manufacturer's name because the script
    runs by itself and the reports are filtered
    through our software. Since our software is
    designed specifically for the escrow/real estate
    market, I guarantee you that if a customer has
    a problem with us, they will NEVER call a
    supertar manufacturer (since they don't know
    who they are). They will call one of our
    competitors who provide escrow software. Therefore,
    the supertar manufacturer will NEVER be a last
    line of defense in our scenario.

    Given this business model, the supertar manufacturers
    should have an option to register without disclosing
    end user names. However, none of you seem to get
    that because the vast majority of your customers
    operate differently.

    Thanks for your input. I don't intend for this
    thread to become a discussion of supertars. I'd
    really like some help with the above SCO problems
    (particularly the IDE driver defective patch).

    Chen Coulter
    wizard2277@hotmail.com

  4. Re: Problems with OpenServer 6

    On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 09:46:49PM -0700, C. Coulter wrote:
    > Hi all!
    >
    > Here's the configuration that I'm having problems
    > with:
    >
    > Hardware:
    > Asus P5WD2 Motherboard with Marvell Gigabit onboard
    > Intel P4 2.8 GHz
    > Crucial 512 MB memory
    > Asus 64 MB MX4000 video card
    > Adaptec 29160 SCSI adapter
    > Seagate Travan 8 tape drive
    > Two (2) Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB SATA II disks
    > Sony 1.44 MB Floppy
    > Sony DW-U30 DVD burner
    > Moxa CP104JU 4 port RJ45 serial port card
    >
    > Software:
    > OpenServer 6.0.0
    > OpenServer 6 Development System
    > Maintenance Pack 2
    > Marvell Yukon ethernet driver
    >
    > Problem No. 1:
    > I had a functioning OpenServer 6 system when
    > I checked the SCO web site and saw that there were
    > a number of patches that SCO was "recommending" over and
    > above Maintenance Pack 2. So, I downloaded them and
    > applied them. I had been using my DVD burner to backup
    > and restore files without any problems prior to this.
    > However, once I applied the patches, my DVD burner and
    > IDE driver no longer appeared during the system boot
    > process and I could no longer use the DVD drive.
    >
    > I wasn't sure what caused the problem, so I did a
    > fresh install of OpenServer 6 and then applied the
    > patches one by one. I was able to determine that
    > the problem was caused by patch 7.1.4d to the IDE
    > driver. As soon as that patch was applied, the
    > driver would disappear from the boot process.
    > However, it was still shown in "pkginfo". I then
    > used "pkgrm" to remove the IDE driver and applied
    > patches 7.1.4c and 7.1.4b (in that order) from the
    > SCO website. Neither one made the DVD drive and
    > the IDE interface usable. Unfortunately, 7.1.4a
    > (which is what comes with the base operating
    > system was not available on the website). Does
    > anyone know if this is a defective patch? Could
    > I have done something wrong to cause this? How
    > can you retrieve the base driver 7.1.4a when a
    > patch is installed using "pkgadd" and doesn't
    > give you a chance to retain the original files as
    > "custom" often did?

    I don't know the answer to this question, but I've looked
    at your motherboard specs and manual and the the driver readmes.

    In the BIOS, you should set: Configure SATA as to AHCI
    The setting for: Onboard IDE operate mode I'm not sure.
    You may be able to set it to Enhanced mode, you may have to play
    with it.

    Try each until everything shows up in the boot list or "sdiconfig -l".

    If your drives weren't in AHCI mode originally, you should re-install
    so that the AHCI driver gets picked up, then install AHCI 1.2 either
    before or after MP2.

    Tom
    D. Thomas Podnar
    Microlite Corporation
    2315 Mill Street
    Aliquippa PA USA 15001-2228
    724-375-6711
    888-257-3343 Sales
    Developers of Microlite BackupEDGE

    > Problem No. 2:
    > We all know that OS6 supports large files. In
    > addition, the SCO website states that certain
    > utilities such as "cdrecord" are supported.
    > However, the problem that I have run into is
    > as follows: I create a large file and burn it to
    > DVD using "mkisofs -r -J -o filename.isoimg"
    > and "cdrecord -gracetime=0 -sao filename.isoimag"
    > However, when I attempt to extract the file from
    > the mounted DVD filesystem, I always get an error
    > near the end of the extraction (where the 2 GB
    > limit would be) that indicates the "value is too
    > large." In researching this on the Internet, it
    > would appear that this is a limitation in
    > mkisofs (possibly due to the RockRidge/Joiet
    > format) and/or cdrecord.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a way to get around this
    > problem? Why doesn't SCO provide large file
    > aware versions of "mkisofs", "cdrecord", and,
    > most importantly, "tar"??? If SCO is going
    > to force us to change scripts to use the
    > "/u95/bin" directory, shouldn't there be
    > versions of all the appropriate utilities in
    > there?
    >
    > I know that most of you will respond by
    > indicating that I should be using a supertar.
    > I'm quite familiar with these products, but
    > they have their own problems. As a dealer
    > and software developer, we don't release our
    > customer names to anyone. Yet, that is
    > exactly what the supertar manufacturer's want
    > you to do. In addition, that media may not
    > always be compatible with Windows systems.
    >
    > I know that this is very long, but I've tried
    > to give you as much information as I have
    > regarding these 2 problems.
    >
    > Please respond if you have any input,
    >
    > C. Coulter
    > wizard2277@hotmail.com (public address)

  5. Re: Problems with OpenServer 6

    Wow, that was fascinating! !

    Chen, can you try the recut:

    http://www.sco.com/support/update/do...se.php?rid=161

    This has the updated IDE driver as well as the newer PCI driver to
    support it. I am going to assume that your controller is in legacy or
    enhanced mode (see your BIOS).

    -aps

    C. Coulter wrote:
> [...]

    > runs by itself and the reports are filtered
    > through our software. Since our software is
    > designed specifically for the escrow/real estate
    > market, I guarantee you that if a customer has
    > a problem with us, they will NEVER call a
    > supertar manufacturer (since they don't know
    > who they are). They will call one of our
    > competitors who provide escrow software. Therefore,
    > the supertar manufacturer will NEVER be a last
    > line of defense in our scenario.
    >
    > Given this business model, the supertar manufacturers
    > should have an option to register without disclosing
    > end user names. However, none of you seem to get
    > that because the vast majority of your customers
    > operate differently.
    >
    > Thanks for your input. I don't intend for this
    > thread to become a discussion of supertars. I'd
    > really like some help with the above SCO problems
    > (particularly the IDE driver defective patch).

  6. Re: Problems with OpenServer 6

    D . Thomas Podnar wrote:
> [...]
    >> system was not available on the website). Does
    >> anyone know if this is a defective patch? Could
    >> I have done something wrong to cause this? How
    >> can you retrieve the base driver 7.1.4a when a
    >> patch is installed using "pkgadd" and doesn't
    >> give you a chance to retain the original files as
    >> "custom" often did?

    > I don't know the answer to this question, but I've looked
    > at your motherboard specs and manual and the the driver readmes.
    >
    > In the BIOS, you should set: Configure SATA as to AHCI
    > The setting for: Onboard IDE operate mode I'm not sure.
    > You may be able to set it to Enhanced mode, you may have to play
    > with it.
    >
    > Try each until everything shows up in the boot list or "sdiconfig -l".
    >
    > If your drives weren't in AHCI mode originally, you should re-install
    > so that the AHCI driver gets picked up, then install AHCI 1.2 either

    APS and Thomas:

    I'd like to thank you both for taking the time to look
    at my problem. Thank you both for your suggestions,
    but, unfortunately, they did not work.

    First, APS, I tried the recut CD on a spare drive as
    you suggested. However, the install program would not
    go past the driver recognition stage because it could
    not find the CD/DVD drive (even though that was the
    drive it was booted from). I suspect that the recut
    CD is probably using the 7.1.4b, 7.1.4c, or 7.1.4d
    driver that wiped out the IDE/DVD driver and was the
    original cause of my Problem No. 1. I tried installing
    with the BIOS set to AHCI and all the variations of
    "Standard IDE", but nothing worked.

    Thomas, I had the disk drive setting in the BIOS set
    to AHCI all along as I wanted to take advantage of
    the speed increase in the SATA II drives. When you
    have AHCI set in the BIOS, the setting for "compatible/
    enhanced" (for IDE devices) is not shown as an option.
    Using this setting and the original, logoed, SCO
    install disk allowed me to install the system. I
    have subsequently installed AHCI 1.2 after MP2.
    At this point, I have not installed any of the new
    IDE driver versions. When I have the BIOS set to
    AHCI, the install program always picks up the AHCI
    driver. Previously, when I had installed the bad
    patches, the AHCI driver was still there and the
    hard drives continued to work. Therefore, I don't
    think that the AHCI driver had anything to do with
    the problem. BTW, the P5WD2 manual (on page 4-17)
    says the the "Onboard IDE Operate Mode ... appear
    only when the Configure SATA As item is set to
    [Standard IDE].

    Does anyone have any other ideas about this problem
    and/or the 2 GB limit problem?

    Thanks for your valuable time,

    Chen Coulter
    wizard2277@hotmail.com

  7. Re: Problems with OpenServer 6

    Chen, how is your box setup? i.e. is your CD/DVD drive primary master,
    secondary slave, what?

    You should DEFINITELY turn on AHCI so you can use the AHCI driver. You
    will get NCQ, hot-plug, a bunch of things and it should work with no
    problems. That should cover your two SATA II disks.

    As for IDE, I've tested the 714d driver with ICH7R on several boxes and
    it works fine. I don't quite understand the issue. HAve you jumpered
    for cable select? If so jumper it for master. Your CD/DVD driver,
    provided its the only PATA device, should be primary master since you
    don't have any other devices.

    Btw, during install, you can see error messages if you switch to the
    console during install (especially during the DCU screen where it
    think) or ALT-SYSREQ-H, either way.

    In fact, please do the above if the DCU completes and post what you see
    (sdiconfig -l output).

    Finally, 714a, 714b are not patches. They are separate drivers, i.e.
    you don't have to install them in any particular order. 714d is the
    latest driver and should work on most boxes. The only issue with 714d
    is it requires a new PCI driver to deal with Enhanced and Compatible
    Intel based IDE controllers (found on ICH chipsets), hence, the recut
    CD.

    -aps

    C. Coulter wrote:
> [...]

    > have AHCI set in the BIOS, the setting for "compatible/
    > enhanced" (for IDE devices) is not shown as an option.
    > Using this setting and the original, logoed, SCO
    > install disk allowed me to install the system. I
    > have subsequently installed AHCI 1.2 after MP2.
    > At this point, I have not installed any of the new
    > IDE driver versions. When I have the BIOS set to
    > AHCI, the install program always picks up the AHCI
    > driver. Previously, when I had installed the bad
    > patches, the AHCI driver was still there and the
    > hard drives continued to work. Therefore, I don't
    > think that the AHCI driver had anything to do with
    > the problem. BTW, the P5WD2 manual (on page 4-17)
    > says the the "Onboard IDE Operate Mode ... appear
    > only when the Configure SATA As item is set to
    > [Standard IDE].
    >
    > Does anyone have any other ideas about this problem

  8. Re: Problems with OpenServer 6

    On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 07:16:32PM -0700, C. Coulter wrote:
> [...]

    > have AHCI set in the BIOS, the setting for "compatible/
    > enhanced" (for IDE devices) is not shown as an option.
    > Using this setting and the original, logoed, SCO
    > install disk allowed me to install the system. I
    > have subsequently installed AHCI 1.2 after MP2.
    > At this point, I have not installed any of the new
    > IDE driver versions. When I have the BIOS set to
    > AHCI, the install program always picks up the AHCI
    > driver. Previously, when I had installed the bad
    > patches, the AHCI driver was still there and the
    > hard drives continued to work. Therefore, I don't
    > think that the AHCI driver had anything to do with
    > the problem. BTW, the P5WD2 manual (on page 4-17)
    > says the the "Onboard IDE Operate Mode ... appear
    > only when the Configure SATA As item is set to
    > [Standard IDE].
    >
    > Does anyone have any other ideas about this problem

    Mixing SATA and PATA can be a little squirrely.
    There's another thing you can try. You have four SATA ports.
    Use a SATA DVD drive, like the Plextor PX-755SA.

    Our SATA (AHCI) show system has four ports and four SATA devices.
    - SATA hard drive
    - SATA DVD (PX-755SA)
    - SATA Iomega REV
    - SATA Tape (Sony AIT-2 Turbo)

    You may need the recut CD to install from the SATA DVD drive, as the
    1.1 AHCI driver was built to fix a potential issue with SATA DVD.
    It also adds the SATA tape support, if you ever want to go that route.

    We sent SCO our own hardware to help validate these changes.

    If anyone going to Forum wants to see a very small, all SATA system,
    drop by our exhibit.

    --
    Tom
    D. Thomas Podnar
    Microlite Corporation
    2315 Mill Street
    Aliquippa PA USA 15001-2228
    724-375-6711
    888-257-3343 Sales
    Developers of Microlite BackupEDGE

  9. Re: Problems with OpenServer 6

    APS/Tom:

    APS, YOU 'DA MAN (at least I think you might be a
    man)!!! Your post got me to thinking. I had tried
    everything as outlined in my previous posts, but
    nothing had worked. After I read your post, I
    took the DVD drive out of the system and changed
    the jumpering from slave to master.

    Some years ago, we had gotten in the habit of
    setting up our optical drives as secondary slaves
    because there were certain motherboards that wouldn't
    run SCO in any other configuration. As soon as I
    changed the jumper to master, everything started to
    work. I could install the recut CD if I wanted and
    I was able to install the 7.1.4d IDE driver on my
    existing system!!! YAAAAY!

    It seems odd that the original OS6 CD would allow
    you to install from a slave DVD, but 7.1.4b-7.1.4d
    would not. That may be a subtle bug that SCO could
    look at. Or, maybe they could change the documentation
    to reflect the need for a master device.

    Now that we've resolved that problem, does anyone
    have any input on Problem No. 2, the 2 GB limit in
    "cdrecord" and/or mkisofs?

    Tom, I would like to take a look at your teeny, tiny
    system, bo I will stop by your booth at Forum next
    week. I'll be there all 4 days.

    Thanks, guys,

    Chen Coulter
    wizard2277@hotmail.com

    D . Thomas Podnar wrote:
> [...]

    >> and/or the 2 GB limit problem?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your valuable time,
    >>
    >> Chen Coulter
    >> wizard2277@hotmail.com

    > Mixing SATA and PATA can be a little squirrely.
    > There's another thing you can try. You have four SATA ports.
    > Use a SATA DVD drive, like the Plextor PX-755SA.
    >
    > Our SATA (AHCI) show system has four ports and four SATA devices.
    > - SATA hard drive
    > - SATA DVD (PX-755SA)
    > - SATA Iomega REV
    > - SATA Tape (Sony AIT-2 Turbo)
    >
    > You may need the recut CD to install from the SATA DVD drive, as the
    > 1.1 AHCI driver was built to fix a potential issue with SATA DVD.
    > It also adds the SATA tape support, if you ever want to go that route.
    >
    > We sent SCO our own hardware to help validate these changes.
    >
    > If anyone going to Forum wants to see a very small, all SATA system,

  10. Re: Problems with OpenServer 6

    Glad it worked for ya Chen!

    Slave only configurations are weird. I'm not sure what is the secret
    to them exactly and there is nothing that prevents the IDE driver from
    enumerating a slave only config in the driver (though 714d is very
    much updated to handle Enhanced mode and other versions properly and it
    wouldn't surprise me if slave only configuration is broke - btw,
    because of a historical artifact you don't want slave only anyway on
    SVR5 since you won't get DMA enabled).

    Ah well...flip to Master....use the 714d IDE and latest AHCI driver and
    you should be good as gold! !

    As for 2GB, this is either you didn't turn on LFS (see doc/TAs) or
    there is something that limits mkisofs. From what I remember from the
    iso spec, I thought the limit of an ISO image is around 2GB since it
    uses 32 bit offsets. I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but I've
    never heard of ISO's bigger than 2GB (and I'm positive CDFS won't
    support it since its using an older fski interface anyway).

    My advice is keep your ISOs lower than 2GB if you are burning them to
    DVD.

    -aps

+ Reply to Thread