Re: Openserver 6 HP DAT72 Problems tar: tape read error TaA RESERVED - SCO

This is a discussion on Re: Openserver 6 HP DAT72 Problems tar: tape read error TaA RESERVED - SCO ; Top Posted for brevity. We've seen this before, and passed it along to HP. I've also forwarded a copy of this posting to my contact at HP tape storage engineering. The symptom is: All programs, i.e. dd, tar, cpio, edge, ...

  1. Re: Openserver 6 HP DAT72 Problems tar: tape read error TaA RESERVED

    Top Posted for brevity.

    We've seen this before, and passed it along to HP. I've also forwarded
    a copy of this posting to my contact at HP tape storage engineering.

    The symptom is:

    All programs, i.e. dd, tar, cpio, edge, etc. appear to write successfully.
    However, on read, the drive returns a message indicating the media is
    blank.

    I'm pretty sure, but not positive, that we've only seen it occur on the
    newer DAT 40 and DAT 72 drives that are RoHS compliant.

    Tom
    D. Thomas Podnar
    Microlite Corporation
    2315 Mill Street
    Aliquippa PA USA 15001-2228
    724-375-6711
    888-257-3343 Sales
    Developers of Microlite BackupEDGE

> [...]
    | tar: tape read error
    | read: I/O error
    | #
    |
    | Microlite BackupEdge backs up, but fails verify, citing next volume and
    | no media detected errors.
    |
    | >From /var/adm/syslog
    |
    | Jul 28 10:57:48 powgrp WARNING: Tape Driver: HA 3 TC 3 LU 0 - CHECK
    | CONDITION:
    | Jul 28 10:57:48 powgrp
    | Jul 28 10:57:48 powgrp WARNING: TaA "RESERVED" condition has been
    | detected.
    | Jul 28 10:57:48 powgrp
    | Jul 28 11:00:27 powgrp
    | Jul 28 11:00:27 powgrp WARNING: Tape Driver: HA 3 TC 3 LU 0 - CHECK
    | CONDITION:
    | Jul 28 11:00:27 powgrp
    | Jul 28 11:00:27 powgrp WARNING: TaA "RESERVED" condition has been
    | detected.
    | Jul 28 11:00:27 powgrp
    |
    | Output from mkdev tape:
    |
    | # mkdev tape
    | Mass storage devices are configured automatically
    | when the system is booted with a new device present.
    |
    | Current tape drive configuration:
    |
    | Alias - Address - Inquiry String
    | -------- -------- --------------
    | hba6 - c3b0t7 - (mpt,2) LSI Logic 1030 10329
    | ctape1 - c3b0t3l0 - HP C7438A V312
    |
    | See st01(7) for information about tape drive device nodes.
    | #
    |
    | Listing of /dev/rmt:
    |
    | # ls -l /dev/rmt
    | total 0
    | crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 295, 41 Mar 27 17:00 c0s0
    | crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 295, 42 Mar 27 17:00 c0s0n
    | crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 295, 44 Mar 27 17:00 c0s0nr
    | crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 295, 43 Mar 27 17:00 c0s0r
    | crw-rw-rw- 2 root sys 295, 41 Jul 27 12:45 c3b0t3l0
    | crw-rw-rw- 2 root sys 295, 42 Jul 28 10:57 c3b0t3l0n
    | crw-rw-rw- 2 root sys 295, 44 Mar 27 17:00 c3b0t3l0nr
    | crw-rw-rw- 2 root sys 295, 43 Mar 27 17:00 c3b0t3l0r
    | crw-rw-rw- 2 root sys 295, 45 Mar 27 17:00 c3b0t3l0u
    | crw-rw-rw- 2 root sys 295, 41 Jul 27 12:45 ctape0
    | crw-rw-rw- 2 root sys 295, 44 Mar 27 17:00 nrtape0
    | crw-rw-rw- 2 root sys 295, 42 Jul 28 10:57 ntape0
    | crw-rw-rw- 2 root sys 295, 43 Mar 27 17:00 rtape0
    | crw-rw-rw- 2 root sys 295, 45 Mar 27 17:00 utape0
    | #
    |
    | I have tried Microlite's BackupEdge and it seems to write the backup to
    | tape, but when it tries to verify it keeps asking for the next volume
    | or says no media detected. Microlite wasn't much help except to say
    | they had heard similar problems about HPDAT72 drives.
    |
    | I have tried this on 2 different HP Proliant Servers, the ML370 G4 and
    | an older ML350 with an external DAT 72 (I have 2 of these drives) same
    | or similar problem on both machines.
    |
    | I remember seeing some kind of Sense Data error or something on the
    | ML350 in syslog too.
    |
    | I really doubt that both of these tape drives are bad, they are both
    | new, bought at totally different times, both from Tech Data.
    |
    | Any suggestions? I couldn't find anything on sco.com or hp.com to help

  2. Re: Openserver 6 HP DAT72 Problems tar: tape read error TaA RESERVED

    Thanks Tom. So I should go buy a different tape drive? Like a DAT24?
    Never had problems with those.

    We need to get this backup working ASAP, we can always sell the DAT72
    on ebay I guess. I can't believe that HP hasn't done something about
    this yet.

    Chris

    D. Thomas Podnar wrote:
    > Top Posted for brevity.
    >
    > We've seen this before, and passed it along to HP. I've also forwarded
    > a copy of this posting to my contact at HP tape storage engineering.
    >
    > The symptom is:
    >
    > All programs, i.e. dd, tar, cpio, edge, etc. appear to write successfully.
    > However, on read, the drive returns a message indicating the media is
    > blank.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure, but not positive, that we've only seen it occur on the
    > newer DAT 40 and DAT 72 drives that are RoHS compliant.
    >

    > Tom
    > D. Thomas Podnar
    > Microlite Corporation
    > 2315 Mill Street
    > Aliquippa PA USA 15001-2228
    > 724-375-6711
    > 888-257-3343 Sales
    > Developers of Microlite BackupEDGE

  3. Re: Openserver 6 HP DAT72 Problems tar: tape read error TaA RESERVED

    On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 11:27:39AM -0700, Chris Schmidt wrote:
    > Thanks Tom. So I should go buy a different tape drive? Like a DAT24?
    > Never had problems with those.
    >
    > We need to get this backup working ASAP, we can always sell the DAT72
    > on ebay I guess. I can't believe that HP hasn't done something about
    > this yet.
    >
    > Chris

    Let's see what HP engineering has to say. We sent them info over a weekend.
    Tom Podnar

    > D. Thomas Podnar wrote:
    > > Top Posted for brevity.
    > >
    > > We've seen this before, and passed it along to HP. I've also forwarded
    > > a copy of this posting to my contact at HP tape storage engineering.
    > >
    > > The symptom is:
    > >
    > > All programs, i.e. dd, tar, cpio, edge, etc. appear to write successfully.
    > > However, on read, the drive returns a message indicating the media is
    > > blank.
    > >
    > > I'm pretty sure, but not positive, that we've only seen it occur on the
    > > newer DAT 40 and DAT 72 drives that are RoHS compliant.
    > >

    > > Tom
    > > D. Thomas Podnar
    > > Microlite Corporation
    > > 2315 Mill Street