Unixware 7.1.0 and ide drives over 128gb - SCO

This is a discussion on Unixware 7.1.0 and ide drives over 128gb - SCO ; It seems that SCO have updated the IDE driver in UW7.1.4 so that it will access drives over 128 gb. However, I am stuck with UW7.1.0 and I would like to access 300gb (even if it was split up into ...

  1. Unixware 7.1.0 and ide drives over 128gb

    It seems that SCO have updated the IDE driver in UW7.1.4 so that it will
    access drives over 128 gb. However, I am stuck with UW7.1.0 and I would
    like to access 300gb (even if it was split up into 3 partitions it would be
    OK). I suspect I may never see a new ide hba driver released for 7.1.0 to
    achieve this, so I am looking for other options. One idea was to run vmware
    on the box and then run UW and another OS on top of it, with the other OS
    picking up the rest of the drive space. Regardless of the VMWare site's
    published total lack of support for SCO OSs, has anyone out there tried
    anything like this with any luck, or am I totally wasting my time?

  2. Re: Unixware 7.1.0 and ide drives over 128gb

    philby wrote:
    > It seems that SCO have updated the IDE driver in UW7.1.4 so that it will
    > access drives over 128 gb. However, I am stuck with UW7.1.0 and I would
    > like to access 300gb (even if it was split up into 3 partitions it would be
    > OK). I suspect I may never see a new ide hba driver released for 7.1.0 to
    > achieve this, so I am looking for other options. One idea was to run vmware
    > on the box and then run UW and another OS on top of it, with the other OS
    > picking up the rest of the drive space. Regardless of the VMWare site's
    > published total lack of support for SCO OSs, has anyone out there tried
    > anything like this with any luck, or am I totally wasting my time?

    Well ... This might be better if you could upgrade to at least 7.1.1.

    According to the IDE HBA upgrade TA, 118144, on the SCO Knowledge Base,
    7.1.0 is mentioned in the Keywords section, but it's NOT mentioned in
    the body of the TA itself. I would take that to mean 7.1.0 is not
    officially supported for the latest ide HBA (713b) at:

    ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/unixware7/drivers/storage

    It *might* work OK - YMMV. Be sure to also DL the associated readme
    files and carefully follow their directions.

    Let us know how it goes for future questions like yours.

    SCO Authorized Partner
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

  3. Re: Unixware 7.1.0 and ide drives over 128gb

    Alas, I am already using the upgraded HBA (713b), without it you can't
    access ide drives greater than 8 gb (!).

    "Pat Welch" wrote in message
    news:Af2dndQY49UUWlfZnZ2dnUVZ_vydnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > philby wrote:
    >> It seems that SCO have updated the IDE driver in UW7.1.4 so that it will
    >> access drives over 128 gb. However, I am stuck with UW7.1.0 and I would
    >> like to access 300gb (even if it was split up into 3 partitions it would
    >> be OK). I suspect I may never see a new ide hba driver released for
    >> 7.1.0 to achieve this, so I am looking for other options. One idea was
    >> to run vmware on the box and then run UW and another OS on top of it,
    >> with the other OS picking up the rest of the drive space. Regardless of
    >> the VMWare site's published total lack of support for SCO OSs, has anyone
    >> out there tried anything like this with any luck, or am I totally wasting
    >> my time?

    > Well ... This might be better if you could upgrade to at least 7.1.1.
    >
    > According to the IDE HBA upgrade TA, 118144, on the SCO Knowledge Base,
    > 7.1.0 is mentioned in the Keywords section, but it's NOT mentioned in the
    > body of the TA itself. I would take that to mean 7.1.0 is not officially
    > supported for the latest ide HBA (713b) at:
    >
    > ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/unixware7/drivers/storage
    >
    > It *might* work OK - YMMV. Be sure to also DL the associated readme files
    > and carefully follow their directions.
    >
    > Let us know how it goes for future questions like yours.
    >
    > --
    > Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
    > SCO Authorized Partner
    > Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
    > (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    > E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

  4. Re: Unixware 7.1.0 and ide drives over 128gb

    philby wrote:
    > Alas, I am already using the upgraded HBA (713b), without it you can't
    > access ide drives greater than 8 gb (!).
    >

    > "Pat Welch" wrote in message
    > news:Af2dndQY49UUWlfZnZ2dnUVZ_vydnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> philby wrote:
    >>> It seems that SCO have updated the IDE driver in UW7.1.4 so that it will
    >>> access drives over 128 gb. However, I am stuck with UW7.1.0 and I would
    >>> like to access 300gb (even if it was split up into 3 partitions it would
    >>> be OK). I suspect I may never see a new ide hba driver released for
    >>> 7.1.0 to achieve this, so I am looking for other options. One idea was
    >>> to run vmware on the box and then run UW and another OS on top of it,
    >>> with the other OS picking up the rest of the drive space. Regardless of
    >>> the VMWare site's published total lack of support for SCO OSs, has anyone
    >>> out there tried anything like this with any luck, or am I totally wasting
    >>> my time?

    >> Well ... This might be better if you could upgrade to at least 7.1.1.
    >>
    >> According to the IDE HBA upgrade TA, 118144, on the SCO Knowledge Base,
    >> 7.1.0 is mentioned in the Keywords section, but it's NOT mentioned in the
    >> body of the TA itself. I would take that to mean 7.1.0 is not officially
    >> supported for the latest ide HBA (713b) at:
    >>
    >> ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/unixware7/drivers/storage
    >>
    >> It *might* work OK - YMMV. Be sure to also DL the associated readme files
    >> and carefully follow their directions.
    >>
    >> Let us know how it goes for future questions like yours.

    Well, then you're hosed unless you upgrade to at least 7.1.1, or go to
    OS 6.0. 713b obviously needs the updated libs in the newer versions to
    go beyond 128 GB.

    Perhaps running 4 or more 120 GB drives as a software RAID is an option
    if you need to accommodate very large files > 120 GB.

    SCO Authorized Partner
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

  5. Re: Unixware 7.1.0 and ide drives over 128gb

    OK, looks like there isn't much I can do. I suspected as much, but I just
    thought I'd check with you guys to see if I had missed anything. Thanks.

    "Pat Welch" wrote in message
    news:EuWdnbYpKODuzlHZnZ2dnUVZ_oydnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > philby wrote:
    >> Alas, I am already using the upgraded HBA (713b), without it you can't
    >> access ide drives greater than 8 gb (!).
    >>

    >> "Pat Welch" wrote in message
    >> news:Af2dndQY49UUWlfZnZ2dnUVZ_vydnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >>> Well ... This might be better if you could upgrade to at least 7.1.1.
    >>>
    >>> According to the IDE HBA upgrade TA, 118144, on the SCO Knowledge Base,
    >>> 7.1.0 is mentioned in the Keywords section, but it's NOT mentioned in
    >>> the body of the TA itself. I would take that to mean 7.1.0 is not
    >>> officially supported for the latest ide HBA (713b) at:
    >>>
    >>> ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/unixware7/drivers/storage
    >>>
    >>> It *might* work OK - YMMV. Be sure to also DL the associated readme
    >>> files and carefully follow their directions.
    >>>
    >>> Let us know how it goes for future questions like yours.
    >>>

    > Well, then you're hosed unless you upgrade to at least 7.1.1, or go to OS
    > 6.0. 713b obviously needs the updated libs in the newer versions to go
    > beyond 128 GB.
    >
    > Perhaps running 4 or more 120 GB drives as a software RAID is an option if
    > you need to accommodate very large files > 120 GB.
    >
    > --
    > Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
    > SCO Authorized Partner
    > Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
    > (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    > E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

  6. Re: Unixware 7.1.0 and ide drives over 128gb

    Have you tried the 714a driver? Try it.

    Your best bet is to move to 714 or OSR6.

    -aps