How to mount and recover a storage array - SCO

This is a discussion on How to mount and recover a storage array - SCO ; Hi, I have an old Compaq Storage array connected via Wide SCSI to an EISA card in a Compaq 1500. The box will only boot from the rescue boot and root floppies. Once at a prompt I can see hd00 ...

  1. How to mount and recover a storage array

    Hi,

    I have an old Compaq Storage array connected via Wide SCSI to an EISA card
    in a Compaq 1500. The box will only boot from the rescue boot and root
    floppies. Once at a prompt I can see hd00 and verified it via

    dd if=/dev/hd00 of = /dev/null (lights up led)

    There is an HD01, but nothing there.

    Also divvy is showing one of my drives, but this array has 8 drives in it,
    and I cannot figure out where to find them. The show up in the BIOS fine.
    The fustration thing is that the boot/root floppies do not have any
    commands like: more, less, sconf, hwconf, etc...

    Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to get to my data?

  2. Re: How to mount and recover a storage array

    Unixcat wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an old Compaq Storage array connected via Wide SCSI to an EISA card
    > in a Compaq 1500. The box will only boot from the rescue boot and root
    > floppies. Once at a prompt I can see hd00 and verified it via
    >
    > dd if=/dev/hd00 of = /dev/null (lights up led)
    >
    > There is an HD01, but nothing there.
    >
    > Also divvy is showing one of my drives, but this array has 8 drives in it,
    > and I cannot figure out where to find them. The show up in the BIOS fine.
    > The fustration thing is that the boot/root floppies do not have any
    > commands like: more, less, sconf, hwconf, etc...
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to get to my data?

    What version of SCO? Once you have that, check Tony Lawrence's web site
    for recovery tips specific to that version:

    http://www.aplawrence.com/

    This is an External or Internal array? If external, is there one or two
    HD's located inside the computer?

    What's the total MB/GB indicated by the divvy? If it's about the same as
    the array size then SCO is seeing the logical partitions presented by
    the physical array hardware. Do the usual fsck etc. stuff in that case.
    SCO does not realize it's an array.

    Have you looked at the SCO knowledge base for hits for your problem?

    SCO Authorized Partner
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com