OSR507 Calendar Service - removable? - SCO

This is a discussion on OSR507 Calendar Service - removable? - SCO ; I'm being told to remove the calendar service from our OSR507 software baseline unless there is a compelling reason not to do so. On the surface there does not appear to be a valid reason to keep it as none ...

  1. OSR507 Calendar Service - removable?

    I'm being told to remove the calendar service from our OSR507 software
    baseline unless there is a compelling reason not to do so. On the
    surface there does not appear to be a valid reason to keep it as none
    of our operators use it.

    Does some other service in the OS use it? I have a dim recollection
    that back in the mid-90's that removing the calendar did something
    undesirable but I don't remember what, perhaps affecting the license
    manager or some such?

    Can anyone give me a reason why the calendar needs to stay active
    other than for convenience?

    TIA,

    DDinAZ

  2. Re: OSR507 Calendar Service - removable?

    Dave Dickerson typed (on Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 01:24:15PM +0000):
    | I'm being told to remove the calendar service from our OSR507 software
    | baseline unless there is a compelling reason not to do so. On the
    | surface there does not appear to be a valid reason to keep it as none
    | of our operators use it.
    |
    | Does some other service in the OS use it? I have a dim recollection
    | that back in the mid-90's that removing the calendar did something
    | undesirable but I don't remember what, perhaps affecting the license
    | manager or some such?
    |
    | Can anyone give me a reason why the calendar needs to stay active
    | other than for convenience?
    |
    | TIA,
    |
    | DDinAZ

    # grep calendar /var/spool/cron/crontabs/*
    root:15 02 * * * /usr/bin/calendar -

    # man calendar

    I see nothing except a reminder service happening.
    Any $HOME/calendar files exist anywhere?
    # find / -name calendar -print

    - Jeff Hyman

  3. Re: OSR507 Calendar Service - removable?

    On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 12:47:07 -0400, Jeff Hyman
    wrote:

    >Dave Dickerson typed (on Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 01:24:15PM +0000):
    >| I'm being told to remove the calendar service from our OSR507 software
    >| baseline unless there is a compelling reason not to do so. On the
    >| surface there does not appear to be a valid reason to keep it as none
    >| of our operators use it.
    >|
    >| Does some other service in the OS use it? I have a dim recollection
    >| that back in the mid-90's that removing the calendar did something
    >| undesirable but I don't remember what, perhaps affecting the license
    >| manager or some such?
    >|
    >| Can anyone give me a reason why the calendar needs to stay active
    >| other than for convenience?
    >|
    >| TIA,
    >|
    >| DDinAZ
    >
    ># grep calendar /var/spool/cron/crontabs/*
    >root:15 02 * * * /usr/bin/calendar -
    >
    ># man calendar
    >
    >I see nothing except a reminder service happening.
    >Any $HOME/calendar files exist anywhere?
    ># find / -name calendar -print
    >
    >- Jeff Hyman

    Nope. So, I guess it's okay to deactivate.

    Thanks, Jeff.

    DDinAZ

+ Reply to Thread