Open Server 3.0 printer problem Part II - SCO

This is a discussion on Open Server 3.0 printer problem Part II - SCO ; Thanks to everyone who tried to help with my remote printing problem on Open Server 3.0. I also enjoyed the walk down memory lane. I am however still unable to print. Heres where I am. I first tried the built ...

  1. Open Server 3.0 printer problem Part II

    Thanks to everyone who tried to help with my remote printing problem on
    Open Server 3.0. I also enjoyed the walk down memory lane.

    I am however still unable to print. Heres where I am.

    I first tried the built in lpd and although as far as I can tell it
    appears to be set up correctly. Here is the response to every print request.

    > # lp -d RAW /etc/hosts
    > request id is RAW-12
    > lp: connect: Connection refused
    > jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

    The lpd daemon is running, so I'm stumped. Does anyone know if the ever
    actually worked? I think it might be a permission problem but I'm not
    sure where.

    I decided to try another approach.

    I next tried Brian White's universal printer script, which uses netcat.
    I have obtained a coff version of net cat from Tony Lawrence's site and
    it appears to run on this version of Open Server, at least I get the
    usage message when I run netcat.

    I installed everything and it all appears correct. However when I go
    into the sysadmsh to set up a new printer it fails when I get to the
    point of specifying the interface script. I can browse the list
    interfaces in models/ but if I select one from the menu or type in the
    name I get this error;

    > ERROR: You must specify the name of an existing file.

    I apparently have some additional permission problems somewhere. Any
    help would be appreciated.

    --
    Rob Steinmetz

  2. Re: Open Server 3.0 printer problem Part II

    Rob wrote (on Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 02:08:21PM -0500):
    > >lp: connect: Connection refused
    > >jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

    > The lpd daemon is running, so I'm stumped. Does anyone know if the ever
    > actually worked? I think it might be a permission problem but I'm not
    > sure where.

    Google gave me this in a FreeBSD group:

    "Another possibility is that the lpr program is not set-user-id to root,
    set-group-id to group daemon. This can be checked with

    % ls -lg /usr/ucb/lpr"

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM awacs@ziskind.us
    Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us
    Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com

  3. Re: Open Server 3.0 printer problem Part II

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind wrote:
    > Rob wrote (on Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 02:08:21PM -0500):
    >>> lp: connect: Connection refused
    >>> jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

    >> The lpd daemon is running, so I'm stumped. Does anyone know if the ever
    >> actually worked? I think it might be a permission problem but I'm not
    >> sure where.

    > Google gave me this in a FreeBSD group:
    >
    > "Another possibility is that the lpr program is not set-user-id to root,
    > set-group-id to group daemon. This can be checked with
    >
    > % ls -lg /usr/ucb/lpr"

    Thanks for the thought.

    Open Server is a Sys V based Unix. lp and lpr are the same binary and
    are located in /usr/bin

    # ls -ld lp lpr
    ---x--s--x 2 bin lp 67618 Jul 21 22:52 lp
    ---x--s--x 2 bin lp 67618 Jul 21 22:52 lpr

    --
    Rob

  4. Re: Open Server 3.0 printer problem Part II

    Rob wrote:
    > Thanks to everyone who tried to help with my remote printing problem on
    > Open Server 3.0. I also enjoyed the walk down memory lane.
    >
    > I am however still unable to print. Heres where I am.
    >
    > I first tried the built in lpd and although as far as I can tell it
    > appears to be set up correctly. Here is the response to every print
    > request.
    >
    >> # lp -d RAW /etc/hosts
    >> request id is RAW-12
    >> lp: connect: Connection refused
    >> jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

    > The lpd daemon is running, so I'm stumped. Does anyone know if the ever
    > actually worked? I think it might be a permission problem but I'm not
    > sure where.

    Still banging away on this. I'm pretty sure it can be made to work, if I
    only had a brain.

    > I decided to try another approach.
    >
    > I next tried Brian White's universal printer script, which uses netcat.
    > I have obtained a coff version of net cat from Tony Lawrence's site and
    > it appears to run on this version of Open Server, at least I get the
    > usage message when I run netcat.
    >
    > I installed everything and it all appears correct. However when I go
    > into the sysadmsh to set up a new printer it fails when I get to the
    > point of specifying the interface script. I can browse the list
    > interfaces in models/ but if I select one from the menu or type in the
    > name I get this error;
    >
    >> ERROR: You must specify the name of an existing file.

    > I apparently have some additional permission problems somewhere. Any
    > help would be appreciated.

    I solved the add printer problem. the sysadmsh add printer script
    requires the absolute pathname for the model, even though it lists the
    existing models in /usr/spool/lp/model in a help menu and allows you to
    select form the list.

    The joys of old SCO products.

+ Reply to Thread