ALT.OS.LINUX.CALDERA - SCO

This is a discussion on ALT.OS.LINUX.CALDERA - SCO ; I received one request in email from one of the denizens here that maybe we should move. Even though I think that this group is apropos (misc!) and filled with stuff that should really be on comp.linux.sco.programmer, I think that ...

  1. ALT.OS.LINUX.CALDERA

    I received one request in email from one of the denizens here that maybe
    we should move.

    Even though I think that this group is apropos (misc!) and filled with
    stuff that should really be on comp.linux.sco.programmer, I think that
    since even one person asked us to move, especially since it was polite,
    we should go.

    alt.os.caldera is nearly vacant. Even the spam level is tolerable.

    crunchie812 is already there.

    Plus we can have fun abusing the random Unixware poster.

    --
    BMO

  2. Re: ALT.OS.LINUX.CALDERA

    Boyle M. Owl wrote:
    > I received one request in email from one of the denizens here that maybe
    > we should move.

    I heartily Agree. I had reservations about us using this board,
    because I did see "real work" going on here. Let's leave them to it!

  3. Re: ALT.OS.LINUX.CALDERA

    On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 11:25:47 -0400, "Boyle M. Owl"
    wrote:

    >alt.os.caldera is nearly vacant. Even the spam level is tolerable.

    alt.os.LINUX.caldera

    Oh all right :-) This is like a pub crawl, you follow your mates
    somewhere you didn't really want to go, then, when you get comfy and
    start enjoying yourself, off we go again, each dive seedier than the one
    before, until we all end up in alt.sex.bondage.sco.unix too exhausted to
    do anything.

    Bye bye cusm, you can give the air freshener a squirt now.

  4. Re: ALT.OS.LINUX.CALDERA

    I like how t-bird truncates the name to "AOL CALDERA" in the list myself.

    -SR

  5. Re: ALT.OS.LINUX.CALDERA

    Nobbut Laikin wrote:

    > Oh all right :-) This is like a pub crawl,

    Yes, but I have not upchucked on your shoes yet.

    --
    BMO

  6. Re: ALT.OS.LINUX.CALDERA

    Then, Boyle M. Owl wrote:
    > Yes, but I have not upchucked on your shoes yet.

    Well, for goodness sakes, let's split before he does. We don't want
    to get hit with the tab for cleaning that mess up, do we?

    KWL

  7. I AM NOT ALT.! I AM MAINSTREAM!

    Boyle M. Owl wrote:

    > I received one request in email from one of the denizens here that maybe
    > we should move.
    >
    > Even though I think that this group is apropos (misc!) and filled with
    > stuff that should really be on comp.linux.sco.programmer, I think that
    > since even one person asked us to move, especially since it was polite,
    > we should go.
    >
    > alt.os.caldera is nearly vacant. Even the spam level is tolerable.
    >
    > crunchie812 is already there.
    >
    > Plus we can have fun abusing the random Unixware poster.
    >
    > --
    > BMO

    Oh, the ignominy!

    Post on an alt. newsgroup? There are some things even *I* won't do.
    Besides, at least one denizen of this place has welcomed us, so it would be
    impolite to go.

    I'd argue that:

    a) comp.unix.sco.misc describes exactly what we do.
    b) anyone disliking our stuff could easily filter us.

    I AM NOT ALT.! I AM MAINSTREAM!

  8. Oh, and alt.os.caldera doesn't exist.

    Subject says it all.

  9. Re: Oh, and alt.os.caldera doesn't exist.

    rhoncopod wrote:

    > Subject says it all.

    So alt.os.*linux*.caldera does exist. OK, so don't you guys ever make a
    mistake? A typo, even?

  10. Re: Oh, and alt.os.caldera doesn't exist.

    In rhoncopod:

    [Snip...]

    > So alt.os.*linux*.caldera does exist.

    Yeah, but my service (Supernews) apparently doesn't carry it (AFAICT).

  11. Re: Oh, and alt.os.caldera doesn't exist.

    On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 01:35:05 -0000, Harold Stevens
    wrote:

    >In rhoncopod:
    >
    >[Snip...]
    >
    >> So alt.os.*linux*.caldera does exist.

    >Yeah, but my service (Supernews) apparently doesn't carry it (AFAICT).

    test

  12. Re: Oh, and alt.os.caldera doesn't exist.

    On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 16:26:12 -1000, NA wrote:

    >On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 01:35:05 -0000, Harold Stevens
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In rhoncopod:
    >>
    >>[Snip...]
    >>
    >>> So alt.os.*linux*.caldera does exist.

    >>Yeah, but my service (Supernews) apparently doesn't carry it (AFAICT).

    >test

    Sorry, previous was mine, been awhile since I posted to a newsgroup
    and had some problems with settings...8-(

    I wanted to mention that the comp.* groups are considered legitimate
    groups as they were setup in the proper manner. The alt.* groups are
    not considered legitimate. News services will host the legitimate
    groups but the other groups will be dependent upon the news services
    whether they will host or not. There are many news service that will
    not host alt.* and the like because they want to trim their bandwidth.

    As for using comp.unix.sco.misc, I believe that the *.misc groups were
    created to capture discussions that didn't belong in the other groups
    that were specifically set up to try to stay on topic. As the
    discussion about the SCO court case is on topic for
    comp.unix.sco.misc, IMHO, this is the proper venue.

    Will bow to the majority though..8-).

  13. Re: Oh, and alt.os.caldera doesn't exist.

    On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:15:44 +0100,
    rhoncopod , in
    wrote:
    >+ rhoncopod wrote:
    >+
    >+ > Subject says it all.
    >+
    >+ So alt.os.*linux*.caldera does exist. OK, so don't you guys ever make a
    >+ mistake? A typo, even?

    Not everyone's favorite NNTP server carries
    alt.os.linux.caldera. Apparently they got a memo that Caldera linux
    was dead, dead as doornail.

    isn't looking good, either.