The Coming Invasion - SCO

This is a discussion on The Coming Invasion - SCO ; Yahoo's message bases have been totally broken by the "whole new look." Well, people have pondered where to go, and I suggested one of the SCO froups, because, well, they _are_ pretty vacant. And I'm not the only one to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

  1. The Coming Invasion

    Yahoo's message bases have been totally broken by the "whole new look."

    Well, people have pondered where to go, and I suggested one of the SCO
    froups, because, well, they _are_ pretty vacant. And I'm not the only
    one to suggest it.

    So be prepared for the invasion.

    You have been warned.

    --
    BMO

  2. Re: The Coming Invasion

    On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:58:47 -0400, Boyle M. Owl wrote:

    > Yahoo's message bases have been totally broken by the "whole new
    > look."
    >
    > Well, people have pondered where to go, and I suggested one of the
    > SCO froups, because, well, they _are_ pretty vacant. And I'm not
    > the only one to suggest it.
    >
    > So be prepared for the invasion.
    >
    > You have been warned.

    Not necessarily a bad idea.

    Be interesting to see just how many of the Y! SCOX regulars and/or
    hangers-on can actually cope with a newsgroup, however...

    - i_s_g
    --
    infosegroupie
    http://www.finchhaven.com/TSCOG/

  3. Re: The Coming Invasion

    AKA wrote:

    > Not necessarily a bad idea.
    >
    > Be interesting to see just how many of the Y! SCOX regulars and/or
    > hangers-on can actually cope with a newsgroup, however...
    >

    > - i_s_g

    It's not any _worse_ than the Y! boards, that's for sure.

    One thing that I saw that is useful, probably the only useful thing, is
    the resurrection of "uncomfortable" factual posts about the corporate
    officers of SCO.

    May they always stay right on top.

    BTW, if any of you are doing this through Google, do yourself a favor
    and get a news reader and an nntp host. There are many free hosts that
    carry certain portions of the text-only froups all for the cost of
    entering the server name into your reader.

    --
    BMO

  4. Re: The Coming Invasion

    On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 16:29:11 -0400, Boyle M. Owl wrote:

    > i_s_g wrote:
    >

    >> Not necessarily a bad idea.
    >>
    >> Be interesting to see just how many of the Y! SCOX regulars and/or
    >> hangers-on can actually cope with a newsgroup, however...
    >>

    >> - i_s_g

    > It's not any _worse_ than the Y! boards, that's for sure.
    >
    > One thing that I saw that is useful, probably the only useful thing,
    > is the resurrection of "uncomfortable" factual posts about the
    > corporate officers of SCO.
    >
    > May they always stay right on top.
    >
    > BTW, if any of you are doing this through Google, do yourself a
    > favor and get a news reader and an nntp host. There are many free
    > hosts that carry certain portions of the text-only froups all for
    > the cost of entering the server name into your reader.

    Nah.. I'm using Pan on my userspace Linux box, and newsfeeds.com

    Went to newsfeeds.com some years ago after a succession of little,
    dictatorial ISP's who were too judgemental about what newsgroups
    they'd carry, and too cheap to put on the disk space to do real
    justice to a reasonable retention time...

    - i_s_g
    --
    infosecgroupie
    http://www.finchhaven.com/TSCOG/

  5. Re: The Coming Invasion

    Boyle M. Owl wrote:
    > Yahoo's message bases have been totally broken by the "whole new look."
    >
    > Well, people have pondered where to go, and I suggested one of the SCO
    > froups, because, well, they _are_ pretty vacant. And I'm not the only
    > one to suggest it.
    >
    > So be prepared for the invasion.
    >
    > You have been warned.

    We're HEEEEEERE!

    The nice thing about Usenet is that it's so wonderfully filterable.

  6. Re: The Coming Invasion

    Hey BMO, your sig's b0rken!
    Dash-dash-*space*!
    But you're forgiven ;-)

    At such a time of extremity I am forced to quote the late, great
    Peter Cook: "Is this a way to run a fsking ballroom?"

  7. Re: The Coming Invasion

    In Boyle M. Owl:

    [Snip...]

    > BTW, if any of you are doing this through Google, do yourself a favor
    > and get a news reader and an nntp host.

    Seconded. I've been tossing Google Grope and M$ posts into the bozobin for
    months now, because the stench from that sewage overwhelms me--YMMV.

    But I whitelist anybody who asks politely (please see sig for email).

  8. Re: The Coming Invasion

    infosecgroupie wrote:

    > Went to newsfeeds.com some years ago after a succession of little,
    > dictatorial ISP's who were too judgemental about what newsgroups
    > they'd carry, and too cheap to put on the disk space to do real
    > justice to a reasonable retention time...

    leafnode is your friend.

    --
    begin signature.exe
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

  9. Re: The Coming Invasion

    Nobbut Laikin wrote:
    > Hey BMO, your sig's b0rken!
    > Dash-dash-*space*!
    > But you're forgiven ;-)

    I have been signing my posts that way for ever and ever, since the
    line-eater days. Even since the days of the BlueWave bbs reader. 1200
    baud. Uphill. Both ways.

    I'm _not_ going to change _now_. It's not a .signature anyway, it's
    manually typed.

    > At such a time of extremity I am forced to quote the late, great
    > Peter Cook: "Is this a way to run a fsking ballroom?"

    Toadal freakin' tangent:

    Music for the day.

    Put this into a .pls file and load with your music player.

    [playlist]
    File1=http://www.live365.com/play/wumb919fast
    Title1=wumb
    Length1=-1
    NumberOfEntries=1
    Version=2

    You can thank me later.

    --
    BMO

  10. Re: The Coming Invasion

    On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 13:23:31 -0700, AKA wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:58:47 -0400, Boyle M. Owl wrote:
    >> So be prepared for the invasion.
    >>
    >> You have been warned.

    > Not necessarily a bad idea.
    >
    > Be interesting to see just how many of the Y! SCOX regulars and/or
    > hangers-on can actually cope with a newsgroup, however...

    Oh, I'm here. Usenet's been a home since the mid 80's.

    And Jeff is *still* a worthless turd.

    --
    Jerry Gaiser in North Plains, Oregon USA (Zone8a) - 45.6933N 123.0418W
    Inritum est qua legibus prohibitum est

  11. Re: The Coming Invasion

    Harold Stevens wrote:
    > In Boyle M. Owl:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> BTW, if any of you are doing this through Google, do yourself a favor
    >> and get a news reader and an nntp host.

    > Seconded. I've been tossing Google Grope and M$ posts into the bozobin for
    > months now, because the stench from that sewage overwhelms me--YMMV.
    >
    > But I whitelist anybody who asks politely (please see sig for email).

    Actually, the best thing to do might be for the cusm old-timers to blackhole
    the Y! refugees (self included, by all means) and maybe we should filter out
    yours.

    It's admittedly rude of us to invade and the least we can do is not make
    messes for each other in the shared living spaces.

    --
    Silly -- There Is No Lumber Cartel

  12. Re: The Coming Invasion

    I'm here.. Haven't used newsgroups in a while and had to dust off my
    old friend Free Agent and get it fired up. Still works great.

    Some of the folks have dropped in over at my forums at
    http://scoxq.com but it's threaded, too, so don't know what will
    happen in that venue.

    There's an ancient Chinese curs that says, "May you live in
    Interesting times." Here we are.. :-)

    rajah_office

  13. Re: The Coming Invasion

    On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 23:29:42 GMT, rajah@racoon.net wrote:

    >I'm here.. Haven't used newsgroups in a while and had to dust off my
    >old friend Free Agent and get it fired up. Still works great.

    Works great under Wine :-)

    >Some of the folks have dropped in over at my forums at
    >http://scoxq.com but it's threaded, too, so don't know what will
    >happen in that venue.

    Your place is the logical rallying point, though the imprecation to "be
    ladies and gentlemen" is a bit off-putting. If I wanted to be all miss
    prim and proper, I'd have my arsehole sewn up and go to ****ing Groklaw
    with all the other Lady Never****s.

    Anyway, it is sufficient for your threads to suck less than Y!'s
    threads; that's not a high bar, I'm sure everyone will agree.

    >There's an ancient Chinese curs that says, "May you live in
    >Interesting times." Here we are.. :-)

    Long prepared for. Thanks!

  14. Re: The Coming Invasion

    Add one more to the disenfranchised from the Y! finance group.

    Someone further up mentioned dusting off Free Agent. Ah the memories.
    Used to be the only decent non-spam don't-hafta-watch-what-you-click
    methods for getting pr0n. Yessirree bob.

    Gonna miss BIFF. Just a little bit. He's just so dang twisted it's
    funny.

  15. Re: The Coming Invasion

    >>I'm here.. Haven't used newsgroups in a while and had to dust off my
    >>old friend Free Agent and get it fired up. Still works great.

    >Works great under Wine :-)

    Yes, it should. I'll have to give that a try.

    >Your place is the logical rallying point, though the imprecation to "be
    >ladies and gentlemen" is a bit off-putting. If I wanted to be all miss
    >prim and proper, I'd have my arsehole sewn up and go to ****ing Groklaw
    >with all the other Lady Never****s.

    I'm pretty laid- back. I just grabbed a TOS from my health related
    site and am sure it needs a rewrite to apply to this situation.

    >Anyway, it is sufficient for your threads to suck less than Y!'s
    >threads; that's not a high bar, I'm sure everyone will agree.

    LOL.. I'm used to the threaded approach in general, but had gotten
    used to the Yahoo format after being on there from the start of the
    legal proceedings. I miss it, too, already.

  16. Re: The Coming Invasion

    On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 00:09:08 GMT, rajah@racoon.net wrote:

    >I'm pretty laid- back. I just grabbed a TOS from my health related
    >site and am sure it needs a rewrite to apply to this situation.

    Thanks, though, thinking a bit, we do need to respect that you're
    putting yourself on the line for us. Hmmm. Yeah, some restraint is
    appropriate. Didn't take me long to flip-flop, did it!

    The only current problem at scoxq is finding something to talk about - I
    mean, apart from the obvious rant about Yahoo. If all people see when
    they turn up is the same wailing they just left...

    Anyway, it's fun to see we can manage a near realtime chat on Usenet,
    but I'll be over at scoxq tomorrow. Probably here as well. And Y!TTLA.
    Maybe not Y!SCOX though.

  17. Re: The Coming Invasion

    On Sat, 15 Jul 2006, rajah@racoon.net wrote:

    > I'm here.. Haven't used newsgroups in a while and had to dust off my
    > old friend Free Agent and get it fired up. Still works great.
    >
    > Some of the folks have dropped in over at my forums at
    > http://scoxq.com but it's threaded, too, so don't know what will
    > happen in that venue.

    I can't imagine that we are the only ones fleeing Yahoo, particularly
    those that are actually using it to influence investment decisions.

    I wonder how good their feedback loop works?

  18. Re: The Coming Invasion

    Nobbut Laikin wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 23:29:42 GMT, rajah@racoon.net wrote:
    >
    >> I'm here.. Haven't used newsgroups in a while and had to dust off my
    >> old friend Free Agent and get it fired up. Still works great.

    > Works great under Wine :-)

    If you like Free Agent, you might want to try PAN.

    BTW, if you don't know the history of PAN, PAN stands for "pimp-ass
    newsreader"

    > Your place is the logical rallying point, though the imprecation to "be
    > ladies and gentlemen" is a bit off-putting. If I wanted to be all miss
    > prim and proper, I'd have my arsehole sewn up and go to ****ing Groklaw
    > with all the other Lady Never****s.

    The mental imagery rendered in my head is far, FAR too 'orrifying.

    --
    BMO

  19. Re: The Coming Invasion

    heimdal 31 wrote:

    > I wonder how good their feedback loop works?

    I think their feedback loop is write-only

    --
    BMO

  20. Re: The Coming Invasion

    On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:34:24 -0700, lumber_cartel wrote:

    > It's admittedly rude of us to invade and the least we can do is not make
    > messes for each other in the shared living spaces.

    Why not the old Caldera group: alt.os.linux.caldera? Nothing there but
    spam now. I don't see cluttering up the board of the few remaining
    unfortunate sods who have to support SCO's crapware.

    --
    Today is Sweetmorn, the 50th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3172
    Celebrate Confuflux

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast