The Coming Invasion - SCO

This is a discussion on The Coming Invasion - SCO ; Greg T Hill wrote: > > Why not the old Caldera group: alt.os.linux.caldera? Nothing there but > spam now. I don't see cluttering up the board of the few remaining > unfortunate sods who have to support SCO's crapware. Most ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: The Coming Invasion

  1. Re: The Coming Invasion

    Greg T Hill wrote:
    >
    > Why not the old Caldera group: alt.os.linux.caldera? Nothing there but
    > spam now. I don't see cluttering up the board of the few remaining
    > unfortunate sods who have to support SCO's crapware.



    Most alt groups suck for spam, though I can see your logic. If the
    original denizens of this froup object to our being here, I am not above
    moving my butt over to another froup.

    --
    BMO - with 3 margheritas and 2 jameson+coffees



  2. Re: The Coming Invasion



    On Sun, 16 Jul 2006, Boyle M. Owl wrote:

    > heimdal 31 wrote:
    >
    >> I wonder how good their feedback loop works?
    >>

    >
    > I think their feedback loop is write-only


    and it is forwarded to /dev/null

    >
    > --
    > BMO
    >


  3. Re: The Coming Invasion

    On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 00:05:30 -0400, Greg T Hill
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:34:24 -0700, lumber_cartel wrote:
    >
    >> It's admittedly rude of us to invade and the least we can do is not make
    >> messes for each other in the shared living spaces.

    >
    >Why not the old Caldera group: alt.os.linux.caldera? Nothing there but
    >spam now.


    The propagation and retention of alt groups is generally inferior.
    I was wondering about comp.unix.xenix.sco. The only current on-topic
    post there is an omen :-)

    >I don't see cluttering up the board of the few remaining
    >unfortunate sods who have to support SCO's crapware.


    I do agree it's a bit rude to barge in, but if the remaining denizens
    here want support for their ultra-reliable museum piece, why don't they
    get support from their righteous and oh-so-clueful vendor? Hmmm?


  4. Re: The Coming Invasion

    Anyone using this group for serious work should now add my id to their
    kill-file.

    Any non-guru lurkers worrying about anonymity, if you're running Linux, you
    don't have to do what I did and go to the bother of setting up a spurious
    web email account or using something like spamgourmet. The KNode news
    reader does require you specify an email address, but you can lie.

  5. Re: The Coming Invasion

    rhoncopod wrote:
    > Anyone using this group for serious work should now add my id to their
    > kill-file.
    >
    > Any non-guru lurkers worrying about anonymity, if you're running Linux, you
    > don't have to do what I did and go to the bother of setting up a spurious
    > web email account or using something like spamgourmet. The KNode news
    > reader does require you specify an email address, but you can lie.


    Several newsreaders (including Thunderbird) allow you to set up and manage
    multiple identities within one account.

    Such as, for instance, this one.

    --
    Silly -- There Is No Lumber Cartel

  6. Re: The Coming Invasion

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1


    > Greg T Hill wrote:
    > >
    > > Why not the old Caldera group: alt.os.linux.caldera? Nothing there but
    > > spam now. I don't see cluttering up the board of the few remaining
    > > unfortunate sods who have to support SCO's crapware.

    >
    > Most alt groups suck for spam, though I can see your logic. If the original
    > denizens of this froup object to our being here, I am not above moving my butt
    > over to another froup.


    Please do. Most of us still get these groups via a News email gateway.
    We do still have to support the OS.

    Thanks,

    - --
    Boyd Gerber
    ZENEZ 1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah 84047
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: For info see http://quantumlab.net/pine_privacy_guard/

    iD8DBQFEukdhVtBjDid73eYRAn2zAJ4iyEyP3Ai91hZhTYWpg+ hOOJFQSQCfdCaD
    PI9NYl5SO/J2AJo/QM9oc2M=
    =UIpn
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  7. Re: The Coming Invasion

    Also, there are comp.unix.sco.programmer and comp.unix.sco which may
    anyway be more appropriate for those seeking support?

    To my mind, misc aka miscellaneous implies *anything* of vague relevance
    to SCO Unix. That must surely include the imminent demise of SCO UNIX
    as a consequence of the scam lawsuit.

    Nobbut Laikin wrote:

    > I do agree it's a bit rude to barge in, but if the remaining denizens
    > here want support for their ultra-reliable museum piece, why don't they
    > get support from their righteous and oh-so-clueful vendor? Hmmm?
    >


  8. Re: The Coming Invasion

    Boyle M. Owl wrote:

    > Yahoo's message bases have been totally broken by the "whole new look."
    >
    > Well, people have pondered where to go, and I suggested one of the SCO
    > froups, because, well, they _are_ pretty vacant. And I'm not the only
    > one to suggest it.
    >
    > So be prepared for the invasion.
    >
    > You have been warned.
    >
    > --
    > BMO


    What about comp.unix.xenix.misc? There's only about 10 posts ranging back to
    2004.

    Bruce S.
    --
    Replace the by by blueyonder

  9. Re: The Coming Invasion

    On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 11:01:05 +0100, Nobbut Laikin wrote:

    > On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 00:05:30 -0400, Greg T Hill
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:34:24 -0700, lumber_cartel wrote:
    >>
    >>> It's admittedly rude of us to invade and the least we can do is not make
    >>> messes for each other in the shared living spaces.

    >>
    >>Why not the old Caldera group: alt.os.linux.caldera? Nothing there but
    >>spam now.

    >
    > The propagation and retention of alt groups is generally inferior.
    > I was wondering about comp.unix.xenix.sco. The only current on-topic
    > post there is an omen :-)


    Hi Lucy.
    Retention shouldn't be a problem for your posts, though, as you've got
    your No-Archive flag set. ;^)



  10. Re: The Coming Invasion

    Bruce Stewart wrote:

    > What about comp.unix.xenix.misc? There's only about 10 posts ranging back
    > to 2004.
    >
    > Bruce S.


    Because this here's a song about SCO and Unix. Remember SCO?

    ("You can get anything you want, at Alice's Restaraunt...")

  11. Re: The Coming Invasion

    >Hi Lucy.

    You want the full list? ;-)

    >Retention shouldn't be a problem for your posts, though, as you've got
    >your No-Archive flag set. ;^)
    >


    Ha, forgotten that, thanks. Didn't want anyone digging up the diabetes
    posts last year... or those mp3z... I'll kill it RSN, or in no less
    than a week.

    ObSCO: If any of the comp.unix.sco.misc regulars are going to SCOForum,
    us Yahooligans would love to make friends with you ;-)


  12. Re: The Coming Invasion


    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Boyle M. Owl"
    Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc
    To:
    Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2006 12:16 AM
    Subject: Re: The Coming Invasion


    > Greg T Hill wrote:
    >>
    >> Why not the old Caldera group: alt.os.linux.caldera? Nothing there but
    >> spam now. I don't see cluttering up the board of the few remaining
    >> unfortunate sods who have to support SCO's crapware.

    >
    >
    > Most alt groups suck for spam, though I can see your logic. If the
    > original denizens of this froup object to our being here, I am not above
    > moving my butt over to another froup.
    >
    > --
    > BMO - with 3 margheritas and 2 jameson+coffees


    I would say that:
    a) if we didn't like you being here it's simply tough tooties for us.
    b) the fact that you'd say something like that makes you welcome anyways.

    Nice to meet ya

    --
    Brian K. White -- brian@aljex.com -- http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx Linux SCO FreeBSD #callahans Satriani Filk!


  13. Re: The Coming Invasion

    Brian K. White wrote:
    >
    > I would say that:
    > a) if we didn't like you being here it's simply tough tooties for us.
    > b) the fact that you'd say something like that makes you welcome anyways.
    >
    > Nice to meet ya


    Nice ta meetcha too.

    Sorry for the interruption, but we all had been on the Y! SCOX board and
    after this weekend, I doubt any of us will seriously go back unless y!
    brings back its old format immediately. Alt.os.linux.caldera seems to
    be working out well, so I think we'll continue discussion over there.

    As a question, what is the overall contingency plan if SCO ceases to
    exist? Will the lot of you move over to Solaris or Linux?

    --
    BMO


  14. Let the festivities begin

    Like I said on Y!SCOX last night, if Yahoo hired Sandeep Gupta to code
    their new message board format, it only proves he is totally worthless
    at coding both message boards AND Unix.


    I'm here, via Google, and I refuse to use a news reader to post; for
    one thing, I'm not letting those SCOX trolls steal MY IP! ;-)


    Good morning, and, like Gary says, greetings to the board.


  15. Re: The Coming Invasion

    Boyle M. Owl wrote:

    > Yahoo's message bases have been totally broken by the "whole new look."
    >
    > Well, people have pondered where to go, and I suggested one of the SCO
    > froups, because, well, they _are_ pretty vacant. And I'm not the only
    > one to suggest it.
    >
    > So be prepared for the invasion.
    >
    > You have been warned.
    >
    > --
    > BMO


    It seems the invasion has been redirected to
    http://www.investorvillage.com .

    Bruce S.

    --
    Replace the by by blueyonder

  16. Re: Let the festivities begin

    On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 07:46:13 -0700, saltydogmn wrote:

    > I'm here, via Google, and I refuse to use a news reader to post; for
    > one thing, I'm not letting those SCOX trolls steal MY IP! ;-)


    If you mean IP address, you are mistaken if you believe posting through
    Google hides it. In addition, unless you've installed user-agent switcher
    or something similar, I see you're using Firefox on XP.


  17. Re: Let the festivities begin

    In f_b:

    [Snip...]

    > If you mean IP address




    In the context of the ongoing Darl and Ralph stock scam...

    Probably means Intellectual Property, a vague term tSCOg is not having
    any success using in its little dustup with IBM.

    Seems the court doesn't recognize what tSCOg calls IP. The court would
    rather look at copyrights, patents, or trade secrets. To date, there's
    been nothing along those lines from tSCOg acceptable to the court.

    That's what this court calls IP; until tSCOg provides legal provenance
    (missing, to date) for copyrights, patents, or trade secrets, they got
    exactly *SQUAT* as far as the law is concerned.

    Ergo, the tSCOg liars and thieves don't understand real IP at all, and
    never did, from gitgo. The IBM Nazgul will put some heads on pikes out
    front of Armonk HQ to be clear this was a very stupid thing to do.



    --
    Regards, Weird (Harold Stevens) * IMPORTANT EMAIL INFO FOLLOWS *
    Pardon any bogus email addresses (wookie) in place for spambots.
    Really, it's (wyrd) at airmail, dotted with net. DO NOT SPAM IT.
    Kids jumping ship? Looking to hire an old-school type? Email me.

  18. Re: Let the festivities begin

    Harold Stevens wrote:

    >


    *-sneck-*

    >



    Then why did you post legal opinions/facts?

    JS

  19. Re: Let the festivities begin

    In message <12bogeml69hjf9e@corp.supernews.com>, John Schmidt wrote:

    > Harold Stevens wrote:
    >
    >>

    >
    > *-sneck-*
    >
    >>

    >
    >
    > Then why did you post legal opinions/facts?


    Hey, it's the USA. We're allowed to have opinions about the law,
    and we're certainly allowed (arguably have a duty) to be informed.

    We just can't give legal advice or lead anyone to think that we
    know what we're talking about.

    --
    Silly -- There Is No Lumber Cartel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2