Yahoo has sent Biff packing - SCO

This is a discussion on Yahoo has sent Biff packing - SCO ; Yahoo has modded the uber-Troll Biff into oblivion. Is the oh-so-famous and well liked Biff welcome here?...

  1. Yahoo has sent Biff packing

    Yahoo has modded the uber-Troll Biff into oblivion. Is the
    oh-so-famous and well liked Biff welcome here?

  2. Re: Yahoo has sent Biff packing

    biff@backinfullforce.com wrote:

    > Yahoo has modded the uber-Troll Biff into oblivion. Is the
    > oh-so-famous and well liked Biff welcome here?

    Yahoo hasn't moderated anything. Y'all did.

    I was reading at 1 star and unrated, and I didn't see a single post from
    him.

    That's too much, I think.

    There needs to be a certain level of trollation, because without it, you
    get infighting. Believe it or not, DDT and BiFF serve a function.

    An example? Grokwars. Imagine Grokwars without the distraction of the
    trolls. Oy Vey.

    --
    BMO

  3. Re: Yahoo has sent Biff packing

    Boyle M. Owl wrote:
    > biff@backinfullforce.com wrote:
    >
    > > Yahoo has modded the uber-Troll Biff into oblivion. Is the
    > > oh-so-famous and well liked Biff welcome here?

    I need my kick toy!

    -- TWZ

  4. Re: Yahoo has sent Biff packing

    On 15 Jul 2006 15:15:53 -0700, "ColonelZen" wrote:

    << I need my kick toy! >>

    Look! I just did the << quote thing >> for old times' sake!

    He's just ("14 minutes ago") posted one of his most detailed, most
    opaque messages *ever*, with no mention at all of the Y!Pocalypse.

    He probably won't miss us. He's got his goats and his dog for company.

  5. Re: Yahoo has sent Biff packing

    Nobbut Laikin wrote:

    > He probably won't miss us. He's got his goats and his dog for company. <

    Tee hee. I was thinking about his just today.... given his fondness for
    goats, perhaps he really is MO'G's spouse.

    KWL

  6. Re: Yahoo has sent Biff packing

    In article ,
    Nobbut Laikin wrote:

    >On 15 Jul 2006 15:15:53 -0700, "ColonelZen" wrote:

    ><< I need my kick toy! >>

    >LUUK!1! I JUST DID THE << QU0TE TH1NG >> 4 0LD TIMES" 5AKE!!!!!!!!!!1

    >HE"S JU5T ("14 M1NUTE5 AG0") P0STED 1 0F HIS M05T DETA1LED, M05T
    >0PAQUE MES5AGES *EVER*, WITH N0 MENSHUN AT AL 0F THE Y!P0CALYPSE!!

    >HE PR0BABLY W0N"T M15S U5!! HE"5 G0T H15 G0ATS & HIS D0G 4 C0MPANY.

    No one has come close the orignal B1FF that we used to see on the
    'net in 1985 or so. Even my little filter [written in Lex/Yacc and
    posted on alt.sources.?? about 20 years ago] doesn't quite caputure
    him.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  7. Re: Yahoo has sent Biff packing

    Karl.W.Lewis@gmail.com wrote:
    > Nobbut Laikin wrote:
    >
    >> He probably won't miss us. He's got his goats and his dog for company. <

    > Tee hee. I was thinking about his just today.... given his fondness for
    > goats, perhaps he really is MO'G's spouse.

    That, or maybe he was the infamous /. poster

    --
    begin signature.exe
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

  8. Re: Yahoo has sent Biff packing

    Bill Vermillion wrote:

    > No one has come close the orignal B1FF that we used to see on the
    > 'net in 1985 or so.

    The original B1FF, according to the Jargon File is Joe Talmadge

    Back then even the trolls had to have some brain cells to rub together.
    My gawd, I can remember counting the idiots on the local boards on one
    hand.

    And even then, the online idiots were the top 5 percent of computer
    users, and today, they'd probably be the top 1 percent of computer
    gurus. This may be romanticizing, but consider that B1FF was a ground
    breaker/pioneer in trollology.

    Goddamn scary if you ask me.

    --
    BMO

  9. Re: Yahoo has sent Biff packing

    In article <31jug.10379$PO.1688@dukeread03>,
    Boyle M. Owl wrote:
    >Bill Vermillion wrote:

    >> No one has come close the orignal B1FF that we used to see on the
    >> 'net in 1985 or so.

    >The original B1FF, according to the Jargon File is Joe Talmadge

    I saw the orignal post long before any mentions were made in the
    Jargon file.

    >Back then even the trolls had to have some brain cells to rub
    >together. My gawd, I can remember counting the idiots on the
    >local boards on one hand.

    Well there really werne't any trolls as we know them back in
    1985 era when I was running a local news node along with two other
    local machines - where we were feeding at least 75 sites - mostly
    Unix type - in the Orlando metro area.

    I had no problems with the daily total news feed of about 1.5 MB
    on the 2400bps modem. Then it kept growing until I was running
    two Telepbit Trailblazer with an effective througput of
    somehwere around 18,000 BPS. We were all in the .uccp maps in
    those days. WHen the daily feeds hit 100MB we all dropped the
    binaries and that helped. Now it's in excess of 600GB/day.

    I still run a local news server - for my own use - just couldn't
    break the habit.

    To connect in those days you had to have a bit of savy on how to
    setup and receive uucp news feeds. And since everything was at low
    level you did have to have a fair bit of knowledge. That kept
    trolls and others like them away. And this was before the current
    'net when so much was still transmitted on government/university
    machinees so there was virtually no commercial advertising. I
    think I miss that part the most.

    >And even then, the online idiots were the top 5 percent of computer
    >users, and today, they'd probably be the top 1 percent of computer
    >gurus. This may be romanticizing, but consider that B1FF was a ground
    >breaker/pioneer in trollology.

    That figure was not true in the era when B1FF first appeared.
    The 'online idiots' were restricted to bulletin boards from my POV
    - as it didn't take too much skill to set up any machine for serial
    connection. The PC was only 4 years old so there was a wide
    variety of devices connecting to the 'net then.

    I moved from a BBS [I setup the 1st 24/7 BBS in Orlando about 2
    months before the IBM PC] - the 25th anniversary of that event was
    just weeks ago - as it went full time July 1, 1981. I moved
    to usenet in late '84 as a leaf and became a node in 1985, as the
    BBS environment had now degenerated to what we see on most of the
    net today.

    >Goddamn scary if you ask me.

    And it will probably only get worse.

    Now the next question - how did this thread wind up in
    the comp.sco.misc group.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  10. Re: Yahoo has sent Biff packing

    Bill Vermillion wrote:
    > WHen the daily feeds hit 100MB we all dropped the
    > binaries and that helped. Now it's in excess of 600GB/day.

    A full feed is around 2TB/day now.

    JS

  11. Re: Yahoo has sent Biff packing

    In article <12bmr585sn6og99@corp.supernews.com>,
    John Schmidt wrote:
    >Bill Vermillion wrote:
    >> WHen the daily feeds hit 100MB we all dropped the
    >> binaries and that helped. Now it's in excess of 600GB/day.

    >A full feed is around 2TB/day now.
    >
    >JS

    Gawd that's a huge amount. When I last checked on getting a
    full-feed [as one of our clients >thought< they wanted a news feed,
    it was ay 600GB. That was about 18 months ago.

    No problem getting the feed, all I had to do is turn it on locally
    and contact Level 3 to turn it on at their side. [My machines are
    in a Level 3 facility and we contract directly with Level 3], one
    of the smallest, if not the smallest, in their local plant. Of course
    at 2TB a day the bandwidth charges do go up :-)

    Thanks for the the update.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  12. Re: Yahoo has sent Biff packing

    John Schmidt hath wroth:

    >Bill Vermillion wrote:
    >> WHen the daily feeds hit 100MB we all dropped the
    >> binaries and that helped. Now it's in excess of 600GB/day.

    >A full feed is around 2TB/day now.
    >JS

    I gave up when a non-binary feed hit 2GBytes/day. I still have an INN
    server running a few groups for private consumption.

    I haven't looked at the numbers in a long time:
    http://usenetstats.com
    Looks like alt.binaries.dvd is the winner by size.
    http://news.gamma.ru/stats-week.html
    http://news.demos.su/stats-week.html
    http://www.newsadmin.com/usenet.asp
    http://www.newsadmin.com/feedbytes.htm
    Looks more like 800-900GBytes/day, not including the spam.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

+ Reply to Thread