VisionFS and 505 - SCO

This is a discussion on VisionFS and 505 - SCO ; .... I have a client who's running 505/rs505a/oss497c/oss600a with the latest (probably) visionfs. Ever since I hooked their network up to internet (there is NO direct access to this box, though other machines with direct access do talk to it), ...

  1. VisionFS and 505

    .... I have a client who's running 505/rs505a/oss497c/oss600a with the
    latest (probably) visionfs. Ever since I hooked their network up to
    internet (there is NO direct access to this box, though other machines
    with direct access do talk to it), vision breaks down "every so often".

    The usual sympton is a zillion defunct processes all children of a vfsd
    parent process (a particular one) and helpful error messages like:

    Jul 12 13:38:48 prs WARNING: table_grow - proc table page limit of 1304
    pages (MAX_PROC) exceeded by 1 pages
    Jul 12 13:38:48 prs CONFIG: newproc - Process table overflow (MAX_PROC =
    15514 exceeded)

    and, finally, fork() fails - too many processes.

    Looking for a solution (or at least a workaround) for all this. Last
    time it happened, killing the parent process solved things nicely.

    Any suggestions? (How hard is it to load Samba on 505, anyhow?)

    Thanks!

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM awacs@ziskind.us
    Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us
    Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com

  2. Re: VisionFS and 505

    On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:24:40 -0400, Nachman Yaakov Ziskind
    wrote:

    >... I have a client who's running 505/rs505a/oss497c/oss600a with the
    >latest (probably) visionfs. Ever since I hooked their network up to
    >internet (there is NO direct access to this box, though other machines
    >with direct access do talk to it), vision breaks down "every so often".
    >
    >The usual sympton is a zillion defunct processes all children of a vfsd
    >parent process (a particular one) and helpful error messages like:
    >
    >Jul 12 13:38:48 prs WARNING: table_grow - proc table page limit of 1304
    >pages (MAX_PROC) exceeded by 1 pages
    >Jul 12 13:38:48 prs CONFIG: newproc - Process table overflow (MAX_PROC =
    >15514 exceeded)
    >
    >and, finally, fork() fails - too many processes.
    >
    >Looking for a solution (or at least a workaround) for all this. Last
    >time it happened, killing the parent process solved things nicely.
    >
    >Any suggestions? (How hard is it to load Samba on 505, anyhow?)
    >
    >Thanks!

    I don't have any suggestions for your VisionFS troubles, but I
    installed Samba 2.2.6 on OSR 5.0.5 many moons ago and don't recall any
    trouble. You can get the 2.2.6 VOLS at

    ftp://ftp2.sco.com/skunkware/osr5/vo...2.2.6-VOLS.tar

    I believe I followed (some of) the steps as outlined in TA 119726 to
    get Samba up and running.

    HTH

    Scott McMillan

  3. Re: VisionFS and 505

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind wrote:
    > ... I have a client who's running 505/rs505a/oss497c/oss600a with the
    > latest (probably) visionfs. Ever since I hooked their network up to
    > internet (there is NO direct access to this box, though other machines
    > with direct access do talk to it), vision breaks down "every so often".
    >
    > The usual sympton is a zillion defunct processes all children of a vfsd
    > parent process (a particular one) and helpful error messages like:
    >
    > Jul 12 13:38:48 prs WARNING: table_grow - proc table page limit of 1304
    > pages (MAX_PROC) exceeded by 1 pages
    > Jul 12 13:38:48 prs CONFIG: newproc - Process table overflow (MAX_PROC =
    > 15514 exceeded)
    >
    > and, finally, fork() fails - too many processes.
    >
    > Looking for a solution (or at least a workaround) for all this. Last
    > time it happened, killing the parent process solved things nicely.
    >
    > Any suggestions? (How hard is it to load Samba on 505, anyhow?)
    >
    > Thanks!

    I had a similar type of problem, with an application that was being
    accessed with Termlite, several years ago on, probably, 5.04 and
    Visionfs with the network hooked to the internet through a Cisco router
    and NO FIREWALL(a long time ago). Sometimes the child processes simply
    continued, after the parent was dead, to run with no way to kill them
    off except restart the server. When the firewall was put in place, the
    problem simply disappeared. A lot of things happened since then so I
    can't be more specific.

    --
    William P. Akers E-Mail: billa@mgmindustries.com
    MGM Industries, Inc. Web Site: http://www.mgmindustries.com

  4. Re: VisionFS and 505

    Scott McMillan wrote (on Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 07:28:48PM +0000):
    > >Any suggestions? (How hard is it to load Samba on 505, anyhow?)
    > >
    > >Thanks!

    > I don't have any suggestions for your VisionFS troubles, but I
    > installed Samba 2.2.6 on OSR 5.0.5 many moons ago and don't recall any
    > trouble. You can get the 2.2.6 VOLS at
    >
    > ftp://ftp2.sco.com/skunkware/osr5/vo...2.2.6-VOLS.tar
    >
    > I believe I followed (some of) the steps as outlined in TA 119726 to
    > get Samba up and running.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Scott McMillan

    Thanks for the pointer on the VOLS. I would have been lost trying to do
    make on this particular machine.

    I am *cautiously* dipping a toe in the Samba water ...

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM awacs@ziskind.us
    Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us
    Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com

  5. Re: VisionFS and 505

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind je napisao:
    > ... I have a client who's running 505/rs505a/oss497c/oss600a with the
    > latest (probably) visionfs. Ever since I hooked their network up to
    > internet (there is NO direct access to this box, though other machines
    > with direct access do talk to it), vision breaks down "every so often".
    >
    > The usual sympton is a zillion defunct processes all children of a vfsd
    > parent process (a particular one) and helpful error messages like:
    >
    > Jul 12 13:38:48 prs WARNING: table_grow - proc table page limit of 1304
    > pages (MAX_PROC) exceeded by 1 pages
    > Jul 12 13:38:48 prs CONFIG: newproc - Process table overflow (MAX_PROC =
    > 15514 exceeded)
    >
    > and, finally, fork() fails - too many processes.
    >
    > Looking for a solution (or at least a workaround) for all this. Last
    > time it happened, killing the parent process solved things nicely.
    >
    > Any suggestions? (How hard is it to load Samba on 505, anyhow?)
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > --
    > Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM awacs@ziskind.us
    > Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us
    > Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com
    > Actuaries and Employee Benefit Consultants

    It is not hard to setup Samba on OSR. I've installed it (version 2.2.5)
    over 2 years ago (instead of VisionFS) on a 5.0.6 SCO OSR server that
    is fairly heavily used to provide files to Windows clients, and we have
    never had problems with it. If I remember well, I had to install a few
    packages as prerequisites (ncurses is one of them, fore sure). Samba is
    easier to administer than VisionFS.

    Good luck,
    Darko Krstic

+ Reply to Thread