Where to find SCO Termlite? - SCO

This is a discussion on Where to find SCO Termlite? - SCO ; We're running openserver 5, and I would like to plunk down an emu on a few windows XP desktops. A contractor set up our systems, and he's not available for a few weeks at least. Can anyone tell me where ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

  1. Where to find SCO Termlite?

    We're running openserver 5, and I would like to plunk down an emu on a
    few windows XP desktops. A contractor set up our systems, and he's not
    available for a few weeks at least. Can anyone tell me where I can
    find a copy of Termlite to download? Pretty please?

    Thanks bajillions!
    Tyler
    tyler (at) healthy habits web [d o t] c o m

  2. Re: Where to find SCO Termlite?

    "Logos" wrote in message
    news:1150244804.444207.256020@u72g2000cwu.googlegr oups.com...
    > We're running openserver 5, and I would like to plunk down an emu on a
    > few windows XP desktops. A contractor set up our systems, and he's not
    > available for a few weeks at least. Can anyone tell me where I can
    > find a copy of Termlite to download? Pretty please?
    >
    > Thanks bajillions!
    > Tyler
    > tyler (at) healthy habits web [d o t] c o m

    Just go get AlphaCom for $25 per seat and/or a free 30 license.

    www.omnicomtech.com

    moncho

  3. Re: Where to find SCO Termlite?

    How totally unhelpful and off topic. Why would I want to pay for
    something I know is available for free with my SCO installation? And I
    have enough licensing headaches as it is without having to keep track
    of any more.

    Also, don't you think it's a teensie bit unethical not to state that
    you're part of the company that sells that AlphaCom? Poor marketing
    technique, that - I wouldn't buy from anyone that shady.

    Tyler

    moncho wrote:
    > "Logos" wrote in message
    > news:1150244804.444207.256020@u72g2000cwu.googlegr oups.com...
    > > We're running openserver 5, and I would like to plunk down an emu on a
    > > few windows XP desktops. A contractor set up our systems, and he's not
    > > available for a few weeks at least. Can anyone tell me where I can
    > > find a copy of Termlite to download? Pretty please?
    > >
    > > Thanks bajillions!
    > > Tyler
    > > tyler (at) healthy habits web [d o t] c o m

    > Just go get AlphaCom for $25 per seat and/or a free 30 license.
    >
    > www.omnicomtech.com
    >
    > moncho

  4. Re: Where to find SCO Termlite?

    >> > We're running openserver 5, and I would like to plunk down an emu on a
    >> > few windows XP desktops. A contractor set up our systems, and he's not
    >> > available for a few weeks at least. Can anyone tell me where I can
    >> > find a copy of Termlite to download? Pretty please?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks bajillions!
    >> > Tyler
    >> > tyler (at) healthy habits web [d o t] c o m

    >> Just go get AlphaCom for $25 per seat and/or a free 30 license.
    >>
    >> www.omnicomtech.com
    >>
    >> moncho

    > How totally unhelpful and off topic. Why would I want to pay for
    > something I know is available for free with my SCO installation? And I
    > have enough licensing headaches as it is without having to keep track
    > of any more.
    >
    > Also, don't you think it's a teensie bit unethical not to state that
    > you're part of the company that sells that AlphaCom? Poor marketing
    > technique, that - I wouldn't buy from anyone that shady.
    >
    > Tyler

    Actually, Termlite sucks and his recommendation was the epitomy of helpful
    and on-topic, along with about 200 other possible good ones.

    Myself, it depends how much effort you want to exert and/or how much clue
    you have or want to be responsible for having.

    PuTTY is completely free and can be made to work perfectly.
    It just takes setting several options in it's config, and then those options
    are stored in the windows registry so it's a little inconvenient copying the
    working setup from one pc to another.
    You can do it though, you can export a registry branch from regedit and then
    import it on a new machine.

    I use putty myself as a developer and admin and only when I don't need
    certain features that my application relies on that various commercial
    emulators have.

    The users all need those certain features all the time. (run-program escape
    code, good passthrough printing, 100% automatic/preloaded configuration
    launchable right from a web page)

    So for them we mostly use FacetWin, which is way more than $25/seat and
    _worth it_, _in that context_. It is really not to handy for an admin or
    developer who needs to log in to lots of random boxes, but it is by far the
    easiest and slickest experience for the end user. Because the seats are
    licenced on the server instead of in the client, the client is free and
    freely downloadable redistributable, You can put a link to the installer
    right on a web page next to a "login" button, and the user never sees
    anything like a license number or serial number or registration. See
    http://www.aljex.com for an example. Log in to the demo. All our customers
    who have their own boxes have login pages of their own that look just like
    that. Try doing that with any other emulator!
    There are a few Java emulators out that that make it possible to be as easy
    as that, but they all suck to some degree just because they are java. There
    are inherent limitations like cut & past usually doesn't work, and of course
    they kill your pc with cpu load which is silly since a terminal emulator
    does very little actual work.

    But FacetWin has things that make it a pain sometimes too. The server
    licenses cramp your style when it comes to changing/moving servers around or
    moving users to different servers etc..
    The proprietary server daemon doesn't allow you to specify a login program,
    which means you can't use ttysnoop for training & support. We absolutely
    need that, and on SCO it wasn't a problem because we have Double-Vision,
    which operates at the kernel level rather than by replacing /bin/login.
    Double-Vision exists for Linux, but it's unuseable because it only works on
    certain specific precompiled kernels from certain specific vendors. In our
    case, we use Suse linux and it doesn't work on any of our boxes. I have not
    yet evaluated "Peek" but it's on my to-do list.
    FacetWin's server daemon also doesn't heartbeat the client. So when the
    clients connection breaks, the server often never knows it which causes all
    kinds of problems from locked database records to processes that race
    consuming all cpu when they go headless like that. (trying to read for input
    I guess, it is usually the filepro "runmenu" command that races like that)
    Then there are other things that only appeared with linux, like, our xinetd
    crashes several times a day. The only funny thing about our xinetd is that
    facetwin was added to it.
    I don't know that facetwin is crashing xinetd, but I can't imagine it
    crashes this often for everyone else and the overall install is a plain suse
    10.0 boxed dvd.

    So we also use AnzioLite or AnzioWin a lot, especially on Linux boxes. Which
    sports all the goodness of FacetWin as far as solid scoansi emulation and
    features like run-program and it's passthrough printing is like no other
    thanks to printwizard.

    In the long run, given how much FacetWin seats cost and how many seats we
    currently use, and the rate at which we are growing, and how we dont want
    the user to have to deal with terminal emulator license codes or serial
    numbers, we have decided to simply pay someone to hack 3 smallish changes
    into PuTTY. For roughly the cost of our current existing FacetWin licences,
    we'll have our own emulator that's free and unlimited forever after that.

    Other terminal emulators we have used in the past for various reasons are
    DejaWin ICE-TCP(telnet) and ICE-TEN(serial), I've used MS-DOS Kermit in a
    prior life with great success, K95 (windows kermit), Ericomm, Anita, and the
    new java version of Anita, One of our developers swears by TinyTerm, I used
    SecureCRT all the time for a while,...

    These are all ones that have proven good scoansi emulation, which is maybe
    not necessary but certainly the most convenient when dealing with SCO boxes
    and apps written on or for SCO boxes.

    Any of these and probably 50 others are etter choices than Termlite.
    The ones that cost almost $200/seat are worth it if you take advantage of
    the features. The ones that cost $25/seat are worth it even though they have
    fewer features. AnzioLite in particular would have been my recommendation as
    it's both cheap and feature rich and very solid. They are really good to
    deal with too for support and requesting features or changes. Changes I've
    expressed a wish for have been implimented not only the way I asked, but a
    few other ways besides that meets the same overall need but by other means.

    Termlite is part of VisionFS (windows file&print sharing server daemon like
    Samba or FacetWin), and neither of those (termlite, visionfs) has been
    maintained in years and neither was the product of choice even when they
    were still alive.

    The installer for Termlite is right on your own sco box in a public share
    provided by (built into) visionfs, and termlite only works when that share
    is up & working, or possibly it's just the installer that needs it, it needs
    to see a licence file on the server and it has to match up with something in
    the client. There are probably 50 ways for file & print sharing to be
    screwed up on a pc even when the server and the network in general are fine.
    Add to that, visionfs being the suckiest of the 3 main choices (visionfs,
    facetwin, samba) is more likely than most to be down for various reasons.

    I don't think I've ever used Alphacom, but given all of the above, I would
    take his recommendation without any hesitation and that's also why I didn't
    feel a need originally to chime in with my own personal recommendation which
    would have been AnzioLite.
    Any recommendation from someone who can say (we use it on sco boxes) is a
    good one and better than futzing with termlite.

    So now you know more than you ever wanted to know about terminal emulators
    and the 101 unsuspected ancillary issues that (should) go into choosing one,
    especially in concert with SCO boxes.
    You did not really need to know all that and I'm sure you don't care, and
    that is fine, you do not need to and not knowing all that doesn't make you
    ignorant, but, since you didn't know all that stuff, that is why you asked
    for help. You got it. What I generally say in that situation is "thank you".

    Try it, then when it doesn't work, _then_ you get to complain it was bad
    advice, and maybe not then depending on the details.

  5. Re: Where to find SCO Termlite?

    Logos wrote:
    > We're running openserver 5, and I would like to plunk down an emu on a
    > few windows XP desktops. A contractor set up our systems, and he's not
    > available for a few weeks at least. Can anyone tell me where I can
    > find a copy of Termlite to download? Pretty please?

    It has been a long time since I used Termlite but Google found this
    statement:

    "TermLite is accessible through the VisionFS visiontools share on the
    Windows client. Run TermLite directly from the visiontools share by
    opening the TermLite folder and double-clicking termlite.exe.

    For more information, run TermLite to see Windows Help.

    Alternatively, TermLite can be installed locally on the Windows client,
    taking up less than 1MB of disk space. To install a pre-licensed version
    of TermLite on the local hard drive of the Windows client, double-click
    setup.exe directly from the TermLite folder. Do not copy the setup
    program to another directory for installation -- if you do, the
    installation will not be licensed properly."

    The above ties in with what I vaguely recall of using TermLite (and with
    what Brian said). TermLite was a licenced product so it isn't available
    anywhere as a free download as far as I know.

    I think Moncho's suggestion was a good one. Brian has laid out the
    options pretty comprehensively. In terms of free emulators, my vote goes
    for Putty, though I sometimes use TeraTerm for its zmodem support.

  6. Re: Where to find SCO Termlite?

    Brian K. White wrote:
> [...]

    Hi, Brian.

    FYI peek is a good alternative to DV on the, now, many systems DV no
    longer works on.

    I have it running on several Unixware and SuSE Linux sites.

    It lacks the menu interface that DV has and can't be used to, for
    example, remotely login on a console session (it is not kernel resident
    like DV, but runs a special shell after you login).

    But it's pretty trivial to script a simple menu front end and it works
    well as a support tool. Licensing is per user.

    SCO Authorized Partner
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

  7. Re: Where to find SCO Termlite?

    Logos,

    I agree with everything Brian said, and then some. If you've got
    VisionFS correctly installed, and if you're an administrator, you can
    browse to the Termlite installation share and install on a PC.
    Termlite sucks, but you get what you pay for.

    AlphaCom is a great product. For the price it's a phenomenal bargain.
    If you've got a lot of seats the price comes down. He probably should
    have mentioned if he worked there (how did you deduce that BTW?) but
    that doesn't detract from the vastly superior qualities of the program
    esp. when compared to a dog like Termlite.

    Termlite has no security (no SSH), won't size the screen properly on an
    XP system or allow much formatting control with fonts, won't easily
    transparent print, won't dial a modem, won't automatically connect to a
    host, etc. etc. etc. But it is free. AlphaCom, among many others,
    will do all of those things plus more.

    I use AlphaCom daily, and have recommended and installed it for
    clients. Not to detract from Anzio and many of the other excellent
    programs Brian mentioned, it's just the one I prefer today. If money
    were no object I would use Reflections from WRQ, but alas.

    Mark

    Logos wrote:
    > How totally unhelpful and off topic. Why would I want to pay for
    > something I know is available for free with my SCO installation? And I
    > have enough licensing headaches as it is without having to keep track
    > of any more.
    >
    > Also, don't you think it's a teensie bit unethical not to state that
    > you're part of the company that sells that AlphaCom? Poor marketing
    > technique, that - I wouldn't buy from anyone that shady.
    >
    > Tyler
    >
    > moncho wrote:
    > > "Logos" wrote in message
    > > news:1150244804.444207.256020@u72g2000cwu.googlegr oups.com...
    > > > We're running openserver 5, and I would like to plunk down an emu on a
    > > > few windows XP desktops. A contractor set up our systems, and he's not
    > > > available for a few weeks at least. Can anyone tell me where I can
    > > > find a copy of Termlite to download? Pretty please?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks bajillions!
    > > > Tyler
    > > > tyler (at) healthy habits web [d o t] c o m

    > > Just go get AlphaCom for $25 per seat and/or a free 30 license.
    > >
    > > www.omnicomtech.com
    > >
    > > moncho

  8. Re: Where to find SCO Termlite?

    > I agree with everything Brian said, and then some. If you've got
    > VisionFS correctly installed, and if you're an administrator, you can
    > browse to the Termlite installation share and install on a PC.
    > Termlite sucks, but you get what you pay for.
    >
    > AlphaCom is a great product. For the price it's a phenomenal bargain.
    > If you've got a lot of seats the price comes down. He probably should
    > have mentioned if he worked there (how did you deduce that BTW?) but
    > that doesn't detract from the vastly superior qualities of the program
    > esp. when compared to a dog like Termlite.
    >
    > Termlite has no security (no SSH), won't size the screen properly on an
    > XP system or allow much formatting control with fonts, won't easily
    > transparent print, won't dial a modem, won't automatically connect to a
    > host, etc. etc. etc. But it is free. AlphaCom, among many others,
    > will do all of those things plus more.
    >
    > I use AlphaCom daily, and have recommended and installed it for
    > clients. Not to detract from Anzio and many of the other excellent
    > programs Brian mentioned, it's just the one I prefer today. If money
    > were no object I would use Reflections from WRQ, but alas.
    >
    > Mark

    I forgot to say if you want free and don't care how bad it sucks, then
    termlite is *still* a bad choice. Just use windows telnet and skip the self
    flaggelation.
    At least it's already installed and licensed.
    Windows telnet ever since xp, possibly 2k, actually is almost useful I hate
    to admit it.

    My favorite useless terminal emulator is pssh.
    PalmOS ssh client running on a treo (600, then 650, now 700p). The "useless"
    is just because the letters are microscopic, but there are actually enough
    pixels to squease 80x25 distinguishable characters on the 650 & 700p without
    scroll bars or wrapping the lines. It's actually highly functional, has full
    color ansi and graphics characters and F-keys, the 5-way nav pad becomes
    arrow keys, allows cut & paste, even does the xterm mouse codes that things
    lke midnight commander know how to read, etc.. I've actually used it to do a
    necessary admin task that I couldn't do any other way faster two times in
    three years. Once I used it to look up a phone number in our filePro
    application where I couldn't read the numbers at all (this was back on the
    treo600 that only has 160x160 pixels), but I knew where the phone number
    field is on the screen and could cut & past the line into the contacts app.

  9. Re: Where to find SCO Termlite?

    "Logos" wrote in message
    news:1150327730.638275.270460@p79g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
    > How totally unhelpful and off topic. Why would I want to pay for
    > something I know is available for free with my SCO installation? And I
    > have enough licensing headaches as it is without having to keep track
    > of any more.
    >
    > Also, don't you think it's a teensie bit unethical not to state that
    > you're part of the company that sells that AlphaCom? Poor marketing
    > technique, that - I wouldn't buy from anyone that shady.
    >
    > Tyler
    >
    > moncho wrote:
    >> "Logos" wrote in message
    >> news:1150244804.444207.256020@u72g2000cwu.googlegr oups.com...
    >> > We're running openserver 5, and I would like to plunk down an emu on a
    >> > few windows XP desktops. A contractor set up our systems, and he's not
    >> > available for a few weeks at least. Can anyone tell me where I can
    >> > find a copy of Termlite to download? Pretty please?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks bajillions!
    >> > Tyler
    >> > tyler (at) healthy habits web [d o t] c o m

    >> Just go get AlphaCom for $25 per seat and/or a free 30 license.
    >>
    >> www.omnicomtech.com
    >>
    >> moncho

    Just where did I state that I worked for the company? I do not believe
    I said I work for them anywhere. I gave you a link to the site and that
    was it.

    Also, does that mean I work for Anzio if I mention AnzioLite, which
    by the way is good for printing?

    Why did I mention AlphaCom? Because I have been EXACTLY
    where you are and it is NOT worth it to even use Termlite even if
    it is free.

    I did away with Termlite 5 years ago, went to AlphaCom and
    never looked back.

    moncho

  10. Re: Where to find SCO Termlite?

    "Ian Wilson" wrote in message
    > Logos wrote:
    > > We're running openserver 5, and I would like to plunk down an emu on a
    > > few windows XP desktops. A contractor set up our systems, and he's not
    > > available for a few weeks at least. Can anyone tell me where I can
    > > find a copy of Termlite to download? Pretty please?
    > >

    > It has been a long time since I used Termlite but Google found this
    > statement:
    >
    > "TermLite is accessible through the VisionFS visiontools share on the
    > Windows client. Run TermLite directly from the visiontools share by
    > opening the TermLite folder and double-clicking termlite.exe.
    >
    > For more information, run TermLite to see Windows Help.
    >
    > Alternatively, TermLite can be installed locally on the Windows client,
    > taking up less than 1MB of disk space. To install a pre-licensed version
    > of TermLite on the local hard drive of the Windows client, double-click
    > setup.exe directly from the TermLite folder. Do not copy the setup
    > program to another directory for installation -- if you do, the
    > installation will not be licensed properly."
    >
    > The above ties in with what I vaguely recall of using TermLite (and with
    > what Brian said). TermLite was a licenced product so it isn't available
    > anywhere as a free download as far as I know.
    >
    > I think Moncho's suggestion was a good one. Brian has laid out the
    > options pretty comprehensively. In terms of free emulators, my vote goes
    > for Putty, though I sometimes use TeraTerm for its zmodem support.

    Another app that's free is the amazing, worthless, almost usable HyperTerm.
    If you want free, that's the one, and it's already on your Windows machine.
    But I've got to agree with everyone else - if you're just going to do a few
    simple commands, use the free stuff. If you really need to do terminal
    emulation, get something that makes you feel like your on the console.
    Choose the solution that works best. And TermLite certainly isn't free as
    far as I know. They may have an evaluation copy with limited use or time
    constraints, but in the end, they expect $$.

    J P

  11. Re: Where to find SCO Termlite?

    Question: What fonts have any of you found that you like to use in terminal
    emulators?
    I've been using facetwin mono inside putty for myself, but I need to find a
    font to use with putty that I'm not stealing from some other terminal
    emulator unless it's officially ok.
    Ideally something that comes in Windows, or is freely downloadable somewhere
    or allows you the right to embed/include & redistribute for a one time fee
    like buying a programming library.

    This is also more "etc, etc,..." about why a given terminal emulator might
    be worth a couple bucks.
    The only font I've ever seen so far that I actually like looking at all day,
    and don't feel embarassed making a customer look at all day is "FacetWin
    Mono"
    Seconded by "Facetwin Letter Gothic"
    Which of course you will only ever see by installing the FacetWin client
    since it comes with it.
    Once installed other emulators can use it though.
    This is why recommendations are good. A lot of people would probably never
    even realize that "gee it doesn't necessarily have to look this ugly" until
    someone else told them.
    And facetwin mono doesn't fail at functionality for the sake of looks. It
    has dots in the zero's and you can tell a one from an ell from an eye,
    etc... And supports western and oem/dos character sets.
    Several other emulators come with fonts of their own. (I beleive even
    termlite does)

    This guy evaluated a bunch but none of the ones that can do oem/dos look
    nice to me.
    http://www.lowing.org/fonts/
    http://www.lowing.org/fonts/images/showPreview.php

    A few of those do look nice while still being clear, but I'd have to change
    things to get my apps and termcaps & terminfos to assume UCS instead of
    CP437
    Maybe that's not such a bad thing in the end.
    Monaco
    Andale Mono
    Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
    Anonymous
    ter-*20n (* = 2,5,f,g, etc all look the same to me) is the style I generally
    don't think is nice for a user, but somehow that particular one seems not so
    bad. The lines are thinner than I'd like.

    The above run-down was looking specifically for good fonts to look at
    programming code in, and for that many of those are good, but I'm looking
    for something that is clear and unambiguous and fixed-width of course, but
    also not so strictly machanical and utilitarian. Several things go into what
    I call clear:
    * Unambiguous, iIl1 oO0 `'" 2Z 5S 6890Q ({)} ., :; easy to tell apart.
    * Not too thick/bold like "Terminal". Makes everything kind of blend
    together and looks crowded
    * Not to thin. Needs to be at least slightly bold so that it stands out from
    the background.
    * Few or no serifs. Too cluttered and crowded. But if iI1l needs them for
    clarity ok.
    Sometimes peoples monitors really suck too and too thick or too thin fonts
    fuzz together or fuzz out. And that's not even just really old crts but
    brand new expensive lcd's that are being driven by an analog vga signal at
    some non-native resolution because the user just isn't aware if the techy
    issues or isn't an ergonomics expert. So you can't just dismiss that case.

    Remember this is for applications that end users stare at all day every day
    as the main part of their job. Anything to help them not feel like they live
    inside a computer y'know?
    And they usually won't tell you. They'll sit there and squint all day every
    day and think that's just life with computers when really it's not.

    Oh, heres a sample of Facetwin Mono:
    http://www.aljex.com/bkw/tmp/FacetWinMono.png
    The thickness of the lines scales with the overall size of the window, this
    is kind of medium at 12 or 14 pt.
    When you snap it to full-screen it gets thicker but never gets crowded like
    Terminal or FixedSys.
    It's really ideal and only FacetWin has it and it's just one of those things
    you don't even know you're missing.

  12. Re: Where to find SCO Termlite?

    > Actually, Termlite sucks and his recommendation was the epitomy of helpful
    > and on-topic, along with about 200 other possible good ones.

    Termlite may well suck, but how do I know that based on a pitch for
    another product? It would only have been on topic if he could have
    pointed me to a download site for Termlite as well. It didn't address
    THAT question at all. If he had pointed me in the right direction, and
    then added some comments about another emu, tha would have been fine.
    But I get quite enough ads in a day via email and browsing already! To
    me, a one line pitch for another product without addressing the
    original question falls into the spam category, not advice...

    > Myself, it depends how much effort you want to exert and/or how much clue
    > you have or want to be responsible for having.

    I want to exert pretty much zero effot, and I don't really need much of
    a clue (luckily for me, as I am obviously not a SCO UNIX adept).
    Actually I would like to telnet in via a DOS command prompt, but the
    termcap doesn't work for some needed function keys that are required by
    the app. (for everyone who is about to jump on me for using telnet: I
    don't need ssh, as this is on a purely internal network)

    > PuTTY is completely free and can be made to work perfectly.
    > It just takes setting several options in it's config, and then those options
    > are stored in the windows registry so it's a little inconvenient copying the
    > working setup from one pc to another.
    > You can do it though, you can export a registry branch from regedit and then
    > import it on a new machine.

    Really? That would be ideal. My quick experiments with putty showed
    that the termcap problem persisted. The apps require the delete and
    function keys to work in a certain way. What registry hacks does one
    use to emu SCO ANSI in putty?

    > The users all need those certain features all the time. (run-program escape
    > code, good passthrough printing, 100% automatic/preloaded configuration
    > launchable right from a web page)

    Most of our emus are for straight data entry. Period. All the extra
    features go to waste. We already have a bunch of Facetwin licenses
    (from said contractor), and they are way too pricey for my tastes. We
    have 30 liceneses. We need 5 five licenses now, and I want 5 more for
    future growth - that's $1450. So why not just use something crappy and
    limited that still gets the job done? I don't need flexible or nifty
    in this instance, I just need text input and screen display. My only
    problem is the SCO ANSI thing.

    > FacetWin's server daemon also doesn't heartbeat the client. So when the
    > clients connection breaks, the server often never knows it which causes all
    > kinds of problems from locked database records to processes that race
    > consuming all cpu when they go headless like that. (trying to read for input
    > I guess, it is usually the filepro "runmenu" command that races like that)

    Good god. You know what filePro is??? It's what we're using here. The
    other reason that I want something crappy/free is that we are moving to
    a web interface, and I don't want to shell out cash when we're
    migrating in a few months anyway.

    > So we also use AnzioLite or AnzioWin a lot, especially on Linux boxes. Which

    We already have some AnzioLite, and I'll take those over Facetwin (ten
    for $400) - but as I said it's only for a few months so I don't really
    want to buy any licenses.

    > In the long run, given how much FacetWin seats cost and how many seats we
    > currently use, and the rate at which we are growing, and how we dont want
    > the user to have to deal with terminal emulator license codes or serial
    > numbers, we have decided to simply pay someone to hack 3 smallish changes
    > into PuTTY. For roughly the cost of our current existing FacetWin licences,
    > we'll have our own emulator that's free and unlimited forever after that.

    Oh. Damn. Well, I guess that means I won't be finding out what those
    registry hacks were after all.

    > The installer for Termlite is right on your own sco box in a public share
    > provided by (built into) visionfs, and termlite only works when that share
    > is up & working, or possibly it's just the installer that needs it, it needs
    > to see a licence file on the server and it has to match up with something in
    > the client. There are probably 50 ways for file & print sharing to be
    > screwed up on a pc even when the server and the network in general are fine.
    > Add to that, visionfs being the suckiest of the 3 main choices (visionfs,
    > facetwin, samba) is more likely than most to be down for various reasons.

    I don't want it for SMB, just for emu. Another person said that we
    should be able to install the emu w/o visionfs if that's all we wanted
    it for, but they certainly weren't an expert. I would have gone with
    Samba over FacetWin for SMB myself, but that wasn't a decision I was
    involved in. (I wouldn't have gone for SCO to begin with; I would
    have found some nice simple Linux distro to use that I could google for
    help without turning up 2.7 million hits on lawsuits and bitter rants)

    > I don't think I've ever used Alphacom, but given all of the above, I would
    > take his recommendation without any hesitation and that's also why I didn't
    > feel a need originally to chime in with my own personal recommendation which
    > would have been AnzioLite.
    > Any recommendation from someone who can say (we use it on sco boxes) is a
    > good one and better than futzing with termlite.

    It still didn't address my question. I didn't give much backstory, I
    admit, but then all I wanted to know (and still want to know) is where
    I could snag a copy of Termlite so I can try it and see if it meets our
    needs.

    > So now you know more than you ever wanted to know about terminal emulators
    > and the 101 unsuspected ancillary issues that (should) go into choosing one,
    > especially in concert with SCO boxes.
    >
    > You did not really need to know all that and I'm sure you don't care, and
    > that is fine, you do not need to and not knowing all that doesn't make you
    > ignorant, but, since you didn't know all that stuff, that is why you asked
    > for help. You got it. What I generally say in that situation is "thank you".

    Thanks, actually. There was some interesting new info and suggestions
    in your post - unlike that of moncho, who just pitched some product
    without any other content. To me, that's spam - how can I tell the
    difference if all there is 1 sentence response saying 'buy this'?
    Rather like someone posting to a Linux forum and having someone just
    post back "Your problem is that you need to run Windows."

    And I DO appreciate the time you took to respond and the breadth of
    your explanation, as I rather like learning such things. Tho I still
    don't know where I can snag a copy of Termlite. It may very well
    be in a share somewhere on our server, but I'm no closer to knowing
    where than before! All I can tell is that our Skunkware CD isn't
    Windows readable. In case it's not obvious, I have little to do with
    our SCO server; I use it like a person uses a car. And there is no
    good way to learn about it, as I am not about to use a production
    server creatively customized by a contractor to experiment and learn
    on!

    > Try it, then when it doesn't work, _then_ you get to complain it was bad
    > advice, and maybe not then depending on the details.

    There was nothing to try... I didn't receive any advice on my actual
    question: "where I can find a copy of Termlite to download?" I
    suspect that there isn't anywhere, since googling didn't turn up much,
    which is why I posted here hoping someone would know. Alas, I am
    likely hooped and will probably have to get those AnzioLite licenses
    instead.

    Tyler

  13. Re: Where to find SCO Termlite?

    > I agree with everything Brian said, and then some. If you've got
    > VisionFS correctly installed, and if you're an administrator, you can
    > browse to the Termlite installation share and install on a PC.
    > Termlite sucks, but you get what you pay for.

    Hm. I suspect we don't have it then, as we use FacetWin for SMB. I
    suspected as much from Brian's post and from what little I gleaned via
    google. It's one reason I posted on here in the first place looking
    for where I might download it. But if it won't run with VFS
    installed, as Brian suggested, than I am SOL anyway.

    > AlphaCom is a great product. For the price it's a phenomenal bargain.
    > If you've got a lot of seats the price comes down. He probably should
    > have mentioned if he worked there (how did you deduce that BTW?) but
    > that doesn't detract from the vastly superior qualities of the program
    > esp. when compared to a dog like Termlite.

    Actually, I don't KNOW that he works there, but in googling newsgroups
    I found a slew of posts on the topic of free SCO ANSI emus that had
    various people pitching a product instead of addressing the question of
    'where can I find a free SCO ANSI emu?' I just assumed it was more or
    less the same case here. Even if it wasn't, I have no way to tell
    otherwise anyway, so he might as well be working for them. It was
    those same posts that led me to make my own post on where to find a
    copy of Termlite, actually, as that was what someone suggested to use
    for free. SCO's site was certainly unhelpful on that score, tho.

    > Termlite has no security (no SSH)

    Local network, so no matter.

    won't size the screen properly on an XP system or allow much formatting
    control with fonts
    Fine so long as it's legible.

    won't easily transparent print
    Don't need to print locally.

    won't dial a modem
    Don't need to dial, it's a local network.

    won't automatically connect to a host, etc. etc. etc.
    We don't do that anyway; it always requries user initiation plus a
    un/pw.

    All I want is to be able to type characters, use function keys and
    display data. Which is why Termlite would probably do just fine,
    especially being $25 cheaper than AlphaCom.

    Tyler

  14. Re: Where to find SCO Termlite?

    > I forgot to say if you want free and don't care how bad it sucks, then
    > termlite is *still* a bad choice. Just use windows telnet and skip the self
    > flaggelation.
    > At least it's already installed and licensed.
    > Windows telnet ever since xp, possibly 2k, actually is almost useful I hate
    > to admit it.

    It doesn't handle Delete or function keys properly, SCO ANSI emulation
    problem.

    Tyler

  15. Re: Where to find SCO Termlite?

    moncho wrote:
    > "Logos" wrote in message
    > news:1150327730.638275.270460@p79g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
    > > How totally unhelpful and off topic. Why would I want to pay for
    > > something I know is available for free with my SCO installation? And I
    > > have enough licensing headaches as it is without having to keep track
    > > of any more.
    > >
    > > Also, don't you think it's a teensie bit unethical not to state that
    > > you're part of the company that sells that AlphaCom? Poor marketing
    > > technique, that - I wouldn't buy from anyone that shady.
    > >
    > > Tyler
    > >
    > > moncho wrote:
    > >> "Logos" wrote in message
    > >> news:1150244804.444207.256020@u72g2000cwu.googlegr oups.com...

    > >> Just go get AlphaCom for $25 per seat and/or a free 30 license.
    > >>
    > >> www.omnicomtech.com
    > >>
    > >> moncho

    > Just where did I state that I worked for the company? I do not believe
    > I said I work for them anywhere. I gave you a link to the site and that
    > was it.
    >
    > Also, does that mean I work for Anzio if I mention AnzioLite, which
    > by the way is good for printing?
    >
    > Why did I mention AlphaCom? Because I have been EXACTLY
    > where you are and it is NOT worth it to even use Termlite even if
    > it is free.
    >
    > I did away with Termlite 5 years ago, went to AlphaCom and
    > never looked back.
    >
    > moncho

    You didn't state it anywhere. But since all it was was a pitch for a
    different product than the one I asked about, and given the huge number
    of posts that I had read that did exactly the same thing, it seemed
    reasonable to assume. If you don't work for them, you might want to
    tailor your response to look less like spam and more to the point of
    the post...

    Tyler

  16. Re: Where to find SCO Termlite?

    > Another app that's free is the amazing, worthless, almost usable HyperTerm.
    > If you want free, that's the one, and it's already on your Windows machine.
    > But I've got to agree with everyone else - if you're just going to do a few
    > simple commands, use the free stuff. If you really need to do terminal
    > emulation, get something that makes you feel like your on the console.
    > Choose the solution that works best. And TermLite certainly isn't free as
    > far as I know. They may have an evaluation copy with limited use or time
    > constraints, but in the end, they expect $$.
    >
    > J P

    I tried Hyperterm, but same problem with delete and fcn keys not
    working, which are vital to the app in question (filePro). My problem
    is I can't find anything free that does SCO ANSI.

    Since we already had SCO OS5, and since I *think* it came with it, I
    thought termlite would be an easy way to go. Alas, it seems not.
    Drat.

    With that in mind, can anyone suggest a good free SCO ANSI emu, or
    failing that a method to get a Windows telnet session or another emu to
    work with SCO ANSI?

    Tyler

  17. Re: Where to find SCO Termlite?

    In article <2Yzkg.45057$fb2.19656@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net>,
    JP wrote:

    >"Ian Wilson" wrote in message
    >> Logos wrote:
    >> > We're running openserver 5, and I would like to plunk down an emu on a
    >> > few windows XP desktops. A contractor set up our systems, and he's not
    >> > available for a few weeks at least. Can anyone tell me where I can
    >> > find a copy of Termlite to download? Pretty please?
    >> >

    >> It has been a long time since I used Termlite but Google found this
    >> statement:
    >>
    >> "TermLite is accessible through the VisionFS visiontools share on the
    >> Windows client. Run TermLite directly from the visiontools share by
    >> opening the TermLite folder and double-clicking termlite.exe.
    >>
    >> For more information, run TermLite to see Windows Help.
    >>
    >> Alternatively, TermLite can be installed locally on the Windows client,
    >> taking up less than 1MB of disk space. To install a pre-licensed version
    >> of TermLite on the local hard drive of the Windows client, double-click
    >> setup.exe directly from the TermLite folder. Do not copy the setup
    >> program to another directory for installation -- if you do, the
    >> installation will not be licensed properly."
    >>
    >> The above ties in with what I vaguely recall of using TermLite (and with
    >> what Brian said). TermLite was a licenced product so it isn't available
    >> anywhere as a free download as far as I know.
    >>
    >> I think Moncho's suggestion was a good one. Brian has laid out the
    >> options pretty comprehensively. In terms of free emulators, my vote goes
    >> for Putty, though I sometimes use TeraTerm for its zmodem support.

    >Another app that's free is the amazing, worthless, almost usable HyperTerm.
    >If you want free, that's the one, and it's already on your Windows machine.
    >But I've got to agree with everyone else - if you're just going to do a few
    >simple commands, use the free stuff. If you really need to do terminal
    >emulation, get something that makes you feel like your on the console.
    >Choose the solution that works best. And TermLite certainly isn't free as
    >far as I know. They may have an evaluation copy with limited use or time
    >constraints, but in the end, they expect $$.

    And you can update to a decent version of HyperTerm just by going
    to the info on the HyperTerm setup. The real HyperTerm far exceeds
    the one that ships with the MS products. If it's non-commercial
    use it's free.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  18. Re: Where to find SCO Termlite?

    In article <1150499855.724391.241370@h76g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    Logos wrote:
    >> Another app that's free is the amazing, worthless, almost usable HyperTerm.
    >> If you want free, that's the one, and it's already on your Windows machine.
    >> But I've got to agree with everyone else - if you're just going to do a few
    >> simple commands, use the free stuff. If you really need to do terminal
    >> emulation, get something that makes you feel like your on the console.
    >> Choose the solution that works best. And TermLite certainly isn't free as
    >> far as I know. They may have an evaluation copy with limited use or time
    >> constraints, but in the end, they expect $$.
    >>
    >> J P

    >I tried Hyperterm, but same problem with delete and fcn keys not
    >working, which are vital to the app in question (filePro). My problem
    >is I can't find anything free that does SCO ANSI.

    As to my other post, try the version directly from Hilgreave. [sp?]
    You can get the address on the bootup screen of the MS distributed
    version.

    >Since we already had SCO OS5, and since I *think* it came with it, I
    >thought termlite would be an easy way to go. Alas, it seems not.
    >Drat.

    >With that in mind, can anyone suggest a good free SCO ANSI emu, or
    >failing that a method to get a Windows telnet session or another emu to
    >work with SCO ANSI?

    This may sound like a strange question/answer.

    Why not find out exactly what sequence the emulator you are using
    is transmitting for the keys you have problems with.

    And finding that you could go in an modify the termcap on the SCO
    machine to work with those keycodes.

    Since you are running FP that shouldn't be that hard to figure out.
    FP also has some dedicated entries in it's termcap file which
    takes the orginal termcap entry and then just changes the entries
    that are in the FP distributed termcap.

    I'd suggest duplicating the existing entry by coping the exiting
    termcap to just below it's end point.

    Then take the identity and change it from scoansi to scomod [as an
    example] and make the changes.

    From what you have indicated of your experience it shouldn't be
    that hard.

    And the FP entries are documented in the manual/documenation that
    comes with FP.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  19. Re: Where to find SCO Termlite?

    Logos wrote:
    ( BKW wrote )
    >>PuTTY is completely free and can be made to work perfectly.
    >>It just takes setting several options in it's config, and then those options
    >>are stored in the windows registry so it's a little inconvenient copying the
    >>working setup from one pc to another.
    >>You can do it though, you can export a registry branch from regedit and then
    >>import it on a new machine.

    > Really? That would be ideal. My quick experiments with putty showed
    > that the termcap problem persisted. The apps require the delete and
    > function keys to work in a certain way. What registry hacks does one
    > use to emu SCO ANSI in putty?

    You can configure Putty to be SCO friendly, use its config menu and save
    the modified settings.

    Use Putty to connect,
    Click the top left widget, this shows a drop-down menu
    Choose "Change Settings"
    Go to "Terminal", "Keyboard"
    Set the backspace and Home keys to your preferences
    Set "The Function keys and Keypad" to "SCO"
    etc
    Click "Apply"

    I find saving the modified settings is a bit quirky and unintuitive, you
    may have to create a new session first, configure it and save it. Then
    add "-load sessionname" to the properties of a desktop shortcut.

    The registry entries appear under
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SimonTatham\PuTTY\Sessi ons
    but I haven't tried copying settings by exporting & importing registry keys.

  20. Re: Where to find SCO Termlite?

    "Logos" wrote in message
    news:1150499198.985637.45680@i40g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...

    > moncho wrote:
    >> "Logos" wrote in message
    >> news:1150327730.638275.270460@p79g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
    >> > How totally unhelpful and off topic. Why would I want to pay for
    >> > something I know is available for free with my SCO installation? And I
    >> > have enough licensing headaches as it is without having to keep track
    >> > of any more.
    >> >
    >> > Also, don't you think it's a teensie bit unethical not to state that
    >> > you're part of the company that sells that AlphaCom? Poor marketing
    >> > technique, that - I wouldn't buy from anyone that shady.
    >> >
    >> > Tyler

    >> Just where did I state that I worked for the company? I do not believe
    >> I said I work for them anywhere. I gave you a link to the site and that
    >> was it.
    >>
    >> Also, does that mean I work for Anzio if I mention AnzioLite, which
    >> by the way is good for printing?
    >>
    >> Why did I mention AlphaCom? Because I have been EXACTLY
    >> where you are and it is NOT worth it to even use Termlite even if
    >> it is free.
    >>
    >> I did away with Termlite 5 years ago, went to AlphaCom and
    >> never looked back.
    >>
    >> moncho

    > You didn't state it anywhere. But since all it was was a pitch for a
    > different product than the one I asked about, and given the huge number
    > of posts that I had read that did exactly the same thing, it seemed
    > reasonable to assume. If you don't work for them, you might want to
    > tailor your response to look less like spam and more to the point of
    > the post...

    It was not a pitch for another product, it was a suggestion, and a good
    one if I say so myself.

    You want good SCO ANSI emulation, then get AlphaCom. That just
    makes sense to me, especially "given the huge number of posts that
    I [you] had read that did exactly the same thing."

    Let's see, your hourly wage * (the hours you spent looking for a free
    emulator that does good SCO ANSI emulation + hours spent trying
    other FREE emulators) = one expensive free emulator. To top it
    all off, I do not think you found one yet.

    Boy, $25 looks awfully cheap to me.

    moncho

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast