VNC on OSR 5 / OSR 6 / UW 7 - SCO

This is a discussion on VNC on OSR 5 / OSR 6 / UW 7 - SCO ; I'm looking for s step by step method of getting a VNC (tightvnc???) installed and working on: SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 (or 5.0.6) SCO OpenServer 6.0.0 UnixWare 7.1.4 So far, I have located and downloaded the install files from the SkunkWare ...

  1. VNC on OSR 5 / OSR 6 / UW 7

    I'm looking for s step by step method of getting a VNC (tightvnc???) installed
    and working on:

    SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 (or 5.0.6)

    SCO OpenServer 6.0.0

    UnixWare 7.1.4

    So far, I have located and downloaded the install files from the SkunkWare
    FTP site but

    1) On 5.0.6, vnc server will not accept a request from any vncviewer

    2) On UnixWare, tightvnc will not start.

    and

    3) I have yet to try on 6.0.0.

    Can your point me to a step by step guide?

    Y.

    --
    ---

    Y.

  2. Re: VNC on OSR 5 / OSR 6 / UW 7

    Yves Leclerc wrote (on Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 02:58:29PM -0500):

    | I'm looking for s step by step method of getting a VNC (tightvnc???)
    | installed and working on:
    |
    | SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 (or 5.0.6)
    |
    | SCO OpenServer 6.0.0
    |
    | UnixWare 7.1.4
    |
    | So far, I have located and downloaded the install files from the SkunkWare
    | FTP site but
    |
    | 1) On 5.0.6, vnc server will not accept a request from any vncviewer
    |
    | 2) On UnixWare, tightvnc will not start.
    |
    | and
    |
    | 3) I have yet to try on 6.0.0.
    |
    | Can your point me to a step by step guide?

    I used the SkunkWare VNC, that's located in the "osr5" directory
    on the SCO SkunkWare site, for some time, with no problems when
    I was on OSR 5.0.x.

    I'm now using the TightVNC that's in the "osr6" directory on that
    site. In fact I'm using it right now, sitting in my family room,
    typing on the ThinkPad before me on the coffee table, writing in
    "mutt" on my SCO OSR6 system upstairs (and enjoying a Martini).

    I have a few issues with it, but with perservance I can get it to
    work sufficiently well to fit my needs.

    It's tempermental to the extent that sometimes it doesn't like to
    start if another X session is already running; sometimes after it
    starts, and another X session is initiated, it doesn't quit, but
    becomes useless (the UNIX desktop can be brought up, but nothing
    can be done on it).

    On OSR6, I start it from a root login by simply typing "vncserver".
    the VNC desktop (when it works), when I access it from my ThinkPad,
    will have an xterm window on it. I prefer ScoTerm windows, so I
    cancel that window, By clicking on the desktop I get a menu that
    lets me get an ScoTerm window (which I prefer, but has a disadvantage
    .... the Caps-Lock Key works in reverse - not so in an xterm window).

    I start it from a root login so I can behave as root from the VNC
    desktop. I like two ScoTerm windows on my VNC desktop, one as user
    "root" and one as user "bob", plus I can get the root desktop stuff
    and DocView.

    I don't know anything about UnixWare, but the TightVNC for OSR6
    might work on it.

    Bob

    --
    Bob Stockler +-+ bob@trebor.iglou.com +-+ http://members.iglou.com/trebor
    Author: MENU EDIT II - The BEST Creator/Editor/Manager for filePro User Menus.
    Fully functional (time-limited) demos available by email request (specify OS).

+ Reply to Thread