SCO vs. Fedora Core - SCO

This is a discussion on SCO vs. Fedora Core - SCO ; A friend of mine needs a Linux for an Intel platform. He is thinking of SCO. I suggested Fedora Core, which I use. Any arguments on either side of this? Thanks, Mike....

  1. SCO vs. Fedora Core

    A friend of mine needs a Linux for an Intel
    platform. He is thinking of SCO. I suggested
    Fedora Core, which I use. Any arguments on
    either side of this?

    Thanks,
    Mike.

  2. Re: SCO vs. Fedora Core

    On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:49:00 -0500, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:

    > A friend of mine needs a Linux for an Intel
    > platform. He is thinking of SCO. I suggested
    > Fedora Core, which I use. Any arguments on
    > either side of this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mike.

    I see that I misspoke. He needs a Unix that need
    not be Linux.

    Mike.

  3. Re: SCO vs. Fedora Core

    On 2006-03-29, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:49:00 -0500, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
    >
    >> A friend of mine needs a Linux for an Intel
    >> platform. He is thinking of SCO. I suggested
    >> Fedora Core, which I use. Any arguments on
    >> either side of this?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Mike.

    > I see that I misspoke. He needs a Unix that need
    > not be Linux.
    >
    > Mike.

    What about OpenBSD, FreeBSD, or even Open Solaris?

    Mike

  4. Re: SCO vs. Fedora Core

    In article <90xWf.17$af4.4@fe07.lga>, Mike wrote:
    >On 2006-03-29, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
    >> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:49:00 -0500, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
    >>
    >>> A friend of mine needs a Linux for an Intel
    >>> platform. He is thinking of SCO. I suggested
    >>> Fedora Core, which I use. Any arguments on
    >>> either side of this?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Mike.

    >> I see that I misspoke. He needs a Unix that need
    >> not be Linux.

    >> Mike.

    >What about OpenBSD, FreeBSD, or even Open Solaris?

    You need to specify the applications he will be running.

    When selecting computers and OSes the first thing you should always
    do is select the platform which best supports the applications you
    are going to use. Any other criterion is apt to lead you down a
    path you really don't want to travel.

    As to OpenBSD be aware that it is primarily a one-man operation and
    Theo does things his own way. His insistance on 'his way' cost him
    a large government contract.

    FreeBSD is supported globally with mirrored distribution in about
    70 countries.

    I've not used Open Solaris.

    FreeBSD is a descendant of the original BSD. The current release
    has some of the most major changes made to any Unix type system in
    the last 25 years when it comes to file system structure. Their
    UFS2 differs from most others with such things as inode structure
    information being doulbe in size from all others - so if you have
    an application that needs intimate knowledge of the inodes [some
    programmers still do that] you could have problems.

    Solaris is pretty much a decendant of the System V Unix - but Sun
    does things a bit differently so it may take a bit to get your head
    around their way of doing tings.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com