Trueport Modems - SCO 5.0.6 rs506a - SCO

This is a discussion on Trueport Modems - SCO 5.0.6 rs506a - SCO ; Hello, We are having issues getting 2 serial modems to work via a perle 8500 Jetstream. Background: We currently use standard com ports (tty1A and tty2A) to attach modems to and connect to other SCO servers for support. We have ...

  1. Trueport Modems - SCO 5.0.6 rs506a

    Hello,

    We are having issues getting 2 serial modems to work via a perle 8500
    Jetstream.

    Background:

    We currently use standard com ports (tty1A and tty2A) to attach modems
    to and connect to other SCO servers for support.

    We have bought a new server but it only has 1 built in serial port and
    as such we have decided to use a serial term server to provide the
    additional ports (Jetstream 8500).

    We have installed Trueport (a utility of the jetstream to provide
    direct tty lines in this case ttyS9 (version 1.0.2)) to connect and we
    are using cu -l /dev/ttyS9 to connect to the serial port. We can then
    issue all at command and connect. We do get a connection, we do get a
    login and we do get a password. It even logs in to the remote server,
    however we then do not get any further on the remote machine i.e. There
    is no response to keystrokes at all. We have to ~. to drop the port
    connection and if I reconnect (cu -l /dev/ttyS9) the modem drops the
    line.

    Anyone seen this before, any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Robert.

  2. Re: Trueport Modems - SCO 5.0.6 rs506a

    Additional info:

    If i use the standard built in com port (tty1A) there is no issue.
    Typical!

    Any help still greatly appreciated.

    Rob.

  3. Re: Trueport Modems - SCO 5.0.6 rs506a

    Rob wrote:

    > Additional info:
    >
    > If i use the standard built in com port (tty1A) there is no issue.
    > Typical!
    >
    > Any help still greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Rob.

    Sounds to me like the ports are too quick to drop if DTR is briefly
    interrupted.

    Try tweaking the modem to force DTR on all the time, or change the ports
    flow control to Xon/off.

    Why can't you do support over the internet using SSH from your SCO server?

    SCO Authorized Partner
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

  4. Re: Trueport Modems - SCO 5.0.6 rs506a

    Thanks for the reply,

    SSH would be a luxury that unfortunately we don't have the time nor the
    commitment to implement.

    So I'm stuck with trying to get 5-6 modems working via a serial term
    server.

    Update (incase anyone happens across this):

    This is what occurs when I log on:
    <---------------------------------------Insert--------------------------->
    cu -l /dev/ttyS9
    Connected
    at
    OK
    ath
    OK
    atdt01xxxxxxxxx
    CONNECT 14400 LAPM COMPRESSED

    SCO OpenServer(TM) Release 5 (xxxx) (tty1A)

    login: abc

    Password:
    Login incorrect

    Wait for login retry: .
    login: def
    Password:
    Login incorrect

    Wait for login retry: .
    login: hij
    Password:
    Login incorrect

    Wait for login retry: .
    login: root
    Password:
    Last successful login for root: Wed Mar 29 11:35:38 2006 on tty1a
    Last unsuccessful login for root: Tue Mar 28 11:30:28 2006 on tty1a

    SCO OpenServer(TM) Release 5

    (C) 1976-2000 The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
    (C) 1980-1994 Microsoft Corporation
    All rights reserved.

    For complete copyright credits,
    enter "copyrights" at the command prompt.

    you have mail
    TERM = (ansi) ~[xxxxx].

    Disconnected
    # cu -l /dev/ttyS9
    Connected
    Remote line gone

    Disconnected
    #
    <-------------------------------------End--Insert--------------------------->

    I'm not sure what is going on here, the connection looks fine, I have
    no issue at all before I log in successfully, it occurs everytime at
    the TERM=(ansi) where normally a return is just accepted.

    Also if I do drop the line with ~. and the reconnect sometimes the
    connection to the site hasn't been dropped and I CAN continue to use it
    without issue????

    This is why I believe the issue to be with the terminal server -
    (X-Stream - JetStream 8500 - Firmware 2.6.1-T13) or the trueport
    software (tpsco102T5.pkg).

    Yet if I plug the modem into the built-in COM port no problem.

    Anyway thanks for your reply.

    Anyone else seen this?

  5. Re: Trueport Modems - SCO 5.0.6 rs506a

    Rob wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply,
    >
    > SSH would be a luxury that unfortunately we don't have the time nor the
    > commitment to implement.
    >
    > So I'm stuck with trying to get 5-6 modems working via a serial term
    > server.
    >
    > Update (incase anyone happens across this):
    >
    > This is what occurs when I log on:
    > <---------------------------------------Insert--------------------------->
    > cu -l /dev/ttyS9
    > Connected
    > at
    > OK
    > ath
    > OK
    > atdt01xxxxxxxxx
    > CONNECT 14400 LAPM COMPRESSED
    >

    > SCO OpenServer(TM) Release 5 (xxxx) (tty1A)
    >
    > login: abc
    >
    > Password:
    > Login incorrect
    >
    > Wait for login retry: .
    > login: def
    > Password:
    > Login incorrect
    >
    > Wait for login retry: .
    > login: hij
    > Password:
    > Login incorrect
    >
    > Wait for login retry: .
    > login: root
    > Password:
    > Last successful login for root: Wed Mar 29 11:35:38 2006 on tty1a
    > Last unsuccessful login for root: Tue Mar 28 11:30:28 2006 on tty1a
    >
    > SCO OpenServer(TM) Release 5
    >
    > (C) 1976-2000 The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
    > (C) 1980-1994 Microsoft Corporation
    > All rights reserved.
    >
    > For complete copyright credits,
    > enter "copyrights" at the command prompt.
    >
    > you have mail
    > TERM = (ansi) ~[xxxxx].
    >
    > Disconnected
    > # cu -l /dev/ttyS9
    > Connected
    > Remote line gone
    >
    > Disconnected
    > #
    > <-------------------------------------End--Insert--------------------------->
    >
    > I'm not sure what is going on here, the connection looks fine, I have
    > no issue at all before I log in successfully, it occurs everytime at
    > the TERM=(ansi) where normally a return is just accepted.
    >
    > Also if I do drop the line with ~. and the reconnect sometimes the
    > connection to the site hasn't been dropped and I CAN continue to use it
    > without issue????
    >
    > This is why I believe the issue to be with the terminal server -
    > (X-Stream - JetStream 8500 - Firmware 2.6.1-T13) or the trueport
    > software (tpsco102T5.pkg).
    >
    > Yet if I plug the modem into the built-in COM port no problem.
    >
    > Anyway thanks for your reply.
    >
    > Anyone else seen this?

    Did you try forcing DTR always on on the modems? It's usually a simple
    dip switch setting or a simple command if the modem is dip less.

    Try switching to Digi - they are very well supported under SCO.

    Do the other servers have any full time access to the internet? Then
    it's trivial from the SCO side to implement SSH. 5.0.7 comes with it,
    5.0.4 to 5.0.6 can download SSH free from the skunkware site. 5.00 and
    5.0.2 forget about it.

    More problematic is picking a port for SSH to use (you don't want to use
    the default 22 - crackers love to look for that port) and opening that
    port on the remote firewalls and forwarding it to the SCO server.

    SCO Authorized Partner
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

  6. Re: Trueport Modems - SCO 5.0.6 rs506a

    Pat,

    Thanks again for your reply, unfortunately we have too many customers
    with dail-in modems, different unix versions and lack of internet
    connectivity to switch to SSH right now.

    I have tried to force DTR on and it made no difference at all. However
    I have now noticed that if I issue a AT$H1 to the modem I get the same
    hang. Under the multitech modem (mt2834zdx) AT$H1 displays the modems
    builtin help screens one at a time with a "hit any key to continue"
    prompt. When I hit any key I get no response and have to ~. to drop the
    line. When I reconnect and press any key it acts like it has just had
    the - "hit any key to continue" it was waiting for and show the next
    screen again hanging, until i have done this process 3 times for all
    the 3 screens it is trying to display.

    Definitely looks like an issue between the modem and the serial termer
    server. Could be cable (although I have checked this ime and time
    again) a config setting on the term server or the serial port emulation
    software. Not sure which though.

  7. Re: Trueport Modems - SCO 5.0.6 rs506a

    Rob wrote:
    > Pat,
    >
    > Thanks again for your reply, unfortunately we have too many customers
    > with dail-in modems, different unix versions and lack of internet
    > connectivity to switch to SSH right now.
    >
    > I have tried to force DTR on and it made no difference at all. However
    > I have now noticed that if I issue a AT$H1 to the modem I get the same
    > hang. Under the multitech modem (mt2834zdx) AT$H1 displays the modems
    > builtin help screens one at a time with a "hit any key to continue"
    > prompt. When I hit any key I get no response and have to ~. to drop the
    > line. When I reconnect and press any key it acts like it has just had
    > the - "hit any key to continue" it was waiting for and show the next
    > screen again hanging, until i have done this process 3 times for all
    > the 3 screens it is trying to display.
    >
    > Definitely looks like an issue between the modem and the serial termer
    > server. Could be cable (although I have checked this ime and time
    > again) a config setting on the term server or the serial port emulation
    > software. Not sure which though.

    What kind of flow control is enabled on the terminal ports?