System lag on a SCO 5.0.7 system - SCO

This is a discussion on System lag on a SCO 5.0.7 system - SCO ; I have a customer who has reported that they have recently started noticing intermittent hangs while processing - not hard hangs - just hangs for few seconds or whatever and then continues. THe are running 5.0.7 on a Compaq machine. ...

  1. System lag on a SCO 5.0.7 system

    I have a customer who has reported that they have recently started noticing
    intermittent hangs while processing - not hard hangs - just hangs for few
    seconds or whatever and then continues. THe are running 5.0.7 on a Compaq
    machine.

    I noticed in the tmp directory that on Mar 18 a file named PCU_ERR and PNAME
    were created along with a zero length file named deviced and a file called
    prnfile and relink_log - all at the same time except PCU_ERR which was created
    1 minute later:

    -rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 37 Mar 18 09:05 PCU_ERR
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 12 Mar 18 09:04 PNAME
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 0 Mar 18 09:04 devices
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 57 Mar 18 09:04 prnfile
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 2 Mar 18 09:04 relink_log

    I also noticed in the /tmp directory that there are a large number of 2 bytes
    files that begin plmcsco (which is actually the host name of the computer) and
    then have a number and then the letter e like this:

    -rw-rw---- 1 plmc group 2 Mar 23 18:08 plmcsco8424e
    -rw-rw---- 1 plmc group 2 Mar 22 17:56 plmcsco1028e
    -rw-rw---- 1 plmc group 2 Mar 21 18:02 plmcsco23897e
    -rw-rw---- 1 plmc group 2 Mar 20 18:02 plmcsco16923e
    -rw-rw---- 1 plmc group 2 Mar 18 09:15 plmcsco1344e

    They reoot and do a backup daily and it would appear to me that the times on
    these files seem to coincide with when that would normally happen.

    Any idea waht these are and also any idea as to what I might do to determine
    what might be causing there hangups (slow responses) during the day.

    Any insight and help would be greatly appreciated.

    bk

  2. Re: System lag on a SCO 5.0.7 system

    Do they have a lot of print jobs out there? What does
    /usr/adm/messages and /usr/adm/syslog show?

  3. Re: System lag on a SCO 5.0.7 system

    Mmmwtim@gmail.com wrote:
    > Do they have a lot of print jobs out there? What does
    > /usr/adm/messages and /usr/adm/syslog show?

    Not a backlog of printjobs that I could see but I will check the printer stats
    again. I am also not sure where any lost/leftover printjobs are kept that
    might still sitting on disk either because they didn't print or did but never
    got deleted - I know sometime this can be a problem.

    As to /usr/adm/messages and /usr/adm/syslog I scanned both and didn't really
    see anything that jumped out at me. Besides the normal boot messages they have
    an occasionaly message on one of the Cd-ROM's about writing to it and there is
    no media (but they haven't tried to do any writes - they say) but then the
    messages is only visible once or twice. They may have an application that is
    letting the user select an option that it shouldn't when no media is in the
    drive but I haven't checked it yet - the CD acts as an archive and they can
    actually read some archive data off some archive cd's.

    I'll check printer stuff again but any other thoughts (and where it I check for
    spool files on disk that might not show up in lpstat.

    bk