sendmail reply addressing - SCO

This is a discussion on sendmail reply addressing - SCO ; I am setting up sendmail on SCO 5.0.6 . my server's name is msite and the domain is mysite.com My Outlook Express is set to: POP3 mail.mysite.com SMTP mail.airmail.net How do I set up sendmail to show a return address ...

  1. sendmail reply addressing

    I am setting up sendmail on SCO 5.0.6 .

    my server's name is msite
    and the domain is mysite.com

    My Outlook Express is set to:
    POP3 mail.mysite.com
    SMTP mail.airmail.net

    How do I set up sendmail to show
    a return address (from) of
    support@mysite.com ?

    currently the best I can get is:
    support@mysite.com

    The sender line, in recieving the email
    in OE, does show support@mysite.com
    but the opened message shows the above
    of which they cannot "reply" to it
    since it tries to reply to root@airmail.net.

    TIA
    Carl

  2. Re: sendmail reply addressing

    In article ,
    Carl wrote:
    >I am setting up sendmail on SCO 5.0.6 .

    >my server's name is msite
    >and the domain is mysite.com

    >My Outlook Express is set to:
    >POP3 mail.mysite.com
    >SMTP mail.airmail.net

    Where does 'airmail.net' fit into this picture.

    >How do I set up sendmail to show
    >a return address (from) of
    >support@mysite.com ?

    It will be your MUA [Mail User Agent] that supplies the reply to
    and sending address. Sendmail just moves the mail from place to
    place. Run the program/mail from an account called 'support'.

    >currently the best I can get is:
    >support@mysite.com

    That indicates you are running as 'root' in the mailer.

    And - as above - where is 'airmail.net' and what machine has that
    nane in it?

    >The sender line, in recieving the email
    >in OE, does show support@mysite.com
    >but the opened message shows the above
    >of which they cannot "reply" to it
    >since it tries to reply to root@airmail.net.

    And the MUA configuration should let you set a ReplyTo line, which
    can be different from the sender line.

    You really didn't give quite enough information for a truly
    meaningful answer.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  3. Re: sendmail reply addressing

    I want it to reply to support@mysite.com no matter who sends it.
    All those variables in sendamail.src are confusing but I am
    guessing 1 change and it will give a steadfast reply line - always.

    I was logged in as "support".
    If i am "root", it gives a reply line of
    support@mysite.com

    Your saying airmail.net (my ISP and ?MUA?) is putting root@airmail.net
    on the message?

    Looking at my incoming junkmail, there is a lot of mail spoofing
    going on. How can I do it honestly from my system for my business?

    Carl

    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:15:01 GMT, bv@wjv.com (Bill Vermillion) wrote:

    >In article ,
    >Carl wrote:
    >>I am setting up sendmail on SCO 5.0.6 .

    >>my server's name is msite
    >>and the domain is mysite.com

    >>My Outlook Express is set to:
    >>POP3 mail.mysite.com
    >>SMTP mail.airmail.net

    >Where does 'airmail.net' fit into this picture.
    >
    >>How do I set up sendmail to show
    >>a return address (from) of
    >>support@mysite.com ?

    >It will be your MUA [Mail User Agent] that supplies the reply to
    >and sending address. Sendmail just moves the mail from place to
    >place. Run the program/mail from an account called 'support'.
    >
    >>currently the best I can get is:
    >>support@mysite.com

    >That indicates you are running as 'root' in the mailer.
    >
    >And - as above - where is 'airmail.net' and what machine has that
    >nane in it?
    >
    >>The sender line, in recieving the email
    >>in OE, does show support@mysite.com
    >>but the opened message shows the above
    >>of which they cannot "reply" to it
    >>since it tries to reply to root@airmail.net.

    >And the MUA configuration should let you set a ReplyTo line, which
    >can be different from the sender line.
    >
    >You really didn't give quite enough information for a truly
    >meaningful answer.
    >
    >Bill

  4. Re: sendmail reply addressing

    In article <39u522hugc1q4kldtisbfun2c9h5bj85om@4ax.com>,
    Carl wrote:
    >I want it to reply to support@mysite.com no matter who sends it.
    >All those variables in sendamail.src are confusing but I am
    >guessing 1 change and it will give a steadfast reply line - always.

    Sendmail is only supposed to add the header of the machine it came
    from, or the domain. Which is the Dj variable in the .cf file.
    It is not supposed to touch anything else. That is up to whatever
    you use for mail purposes. I use 'mutt'.

    >I was logged in as "support".
    >If i am "root", it gives a reply line of
    >support@mysite.com

    Then your sendmail is not setup right as it should at least
    be coming from root@mysite.com and not airmail.net.

    >Your saying airmail.net (my ISP and ?MUA?) is putting root@airmail.net
    >on the message?

    If that is what you are using as your Mail User Agent and
    transport? Are you using the SmartHost function and not sending
    directly? That would explain that. So you are reading/sending mail
    on your ISP machine and not yours?

    >Looking at my incoming junkmail, there is a lot of mail spoofing
    >going on. How can I do it honestly from my system for my business?

    You only get 'a lot' - I get much more than a lot - but it all gets
    diverted so I don't see it using SpamAssassin. I divert
    questionable to a special folder [and wind up with 200+ a day at
    times, and the worst just gets sent to /dev/null.

    But I run all my mail through my FreeBSD system which is about
    flawless for things like that.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  5. Re: sendmail reply addressing

    Carl wrote:
    > I am setting up sendmail on SCO 5.0.6 .

    I use MMDF, its simpler to configure.

    > my server's name is msite
    > and the domain is mysite.com
    >
    > My Outlook Express is set to:
    > POP3 mail.mysite.com
    > SMTP mail.airmail.net

    I'd set them both to msite.mysite.com. Then you can check the sendmail
    logs to see how its handling the emails send by OE.

    You could also set up a hotmail account and use a web browser to check
    how the mail looks to the recipients and to test the Reply-to settings.

    I'd have clearly and completely separated mail accounts like this to
    simplify diagnosis of any problems.

    > How do I set up sendmail to show
    > a return address (from) of
    > support@mysite.com ?

    The word you need is "Masquerade". Google for `sendmail masquerade` or
    for `sendmail masquerade reply-to` (without the quotes). Personally I
    find sendmail configuration a bit scary :-) I've done it in the past by
    editing the cf file, the M4 method is said to be easier. Unless I needed
    to do something that MMDF can't handle I'd be inclined to stick with MMDF.

    > currently the best I can get is:
    > support@mysite.com

    How are you creating these emails? from Outlook Express or from an
    OSR506 mail client?

    It looks like your Mail User Agent (MUA) is wrongly configured with
    "support@mysite.com" as a name rather than as an address.

    > The sender line, in recieving the email
    > in OE, does show support@mysite.com
    > but the opened message shows the above
    > of which they cannot "reply" to it
    > since it tries to reply to root@airmail.net.

    HTH

  6. Re: sendmail reply addressing

    Carl wrote:
    > I want it to reply to support@mysite.com no matter who sends it.
    > All those variables in sendamail.src are confusing but I am
    > guessing 1 change and it will give a steadfast reply line - always.
    >
    > I was logged in as "support".
    > If i am "root", it gives a reply line of
    > support@mysite.com
    >
    > Your saying airmail.net (my ISP and ?MUA?) is putting root@airmail.net
    > on the message?
    >
    > Looking at my incoming junkmail, there is a lot of mail spoofing
    > going on. How can I do it honestly from my system for my business?

    Hi there.

    I did something in the past for a customer of ours who wanted all
    outgoing messages masqueraded as (eg) coyote@foo.com.

    First, edit the sendmail.cf file and insert the following lines:

    # who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading)
    #
    # Tutte le email in uscita vengono inviate come utente
    # coyote@foo.com al fine di consentire una corretta risposta
    #

    Dmcoyote@foo.com

    Next, locate rules S11 and S31 and amend them so that every outgoing
    message is in the form indicated my the M macro defined above:

    S11
    # Add the following line ######
    R$+$: < $M >
    ###############################

    R$+$: $>51 $1 sender/recipient common
    R$* :;<@> $@ $1 :; list:; special case
    R$*$@ $>61 $1 qualify unqual'ed names

    S31
    # Add the following line ######
    R$+$: < $M >
    ###############################
    R$+$: $>51 $1 sender/recipient common
    R$* :; <@> $@ $1 :; list:; special case

    # do special header rewriting

    Mind you: the above was for an OpenServer 5.0.5 system so be sure to make
    a backup copy of the sendmail.cf file __before__ changing it.

    Best,
    Rob
    --
    Roberto Zini - r.zini<@AT@>strhold.it
    "Has anybody around here seen an aircraft carrier?"

+ Reply to Thread