xar - SCO

This is a discussion on xar - SCO ; Can someone shot at building Xar on OSR5-any http://www.opendarwin.org/projects/xar/ Looks like it might be a useful archiver / backup tool. ../configure fails on my system with cannot determine the size of uid_t sys/types.h has #ifndef _UID_T #define _UID_T typedef unsigned ...

  1. xar

    Can someone shot at building Xar on OSR5-any
    http://www.opendarwin.org/projects/xar/
    Looks like it might be a useful archiver / backup tool.

    ../configure fails on my system with cannot determine the size of uid_t

    sys/types.h has
    #ifndef _UID_T
    #define _UID_T
    typedef unsigned short uid_t;
    #endif

    ../configure shows:
    [...]
    checking for sys/types.h... yes
    [...]
    checking for uid_t... yes
    checking size of uid_t... 2
    configure: error: can not detect the size of your system's uid_t type

    config.log does not show a failed program for this error like it does for
    the other tests where for example it tries to look for extended attributes.
    config.log just has:

    configure:3916: checking for uid_t
    configure:3940: gcc -c -Wall -g conftest.c >&5
    configure:3946: $? = 0
    configure:3950: test -z
    || test ! -s conftest.err
    configure:3953: $? = 0
    configure:3956: test -s conftest.o
    configure:3959: $? = 0
    configure:3970: result: yes
    configure:3973: checking size of uid_t
    configure:4292: gcc -o conftest -Wall -g conftest.c >&5
    configure:4295: $? = 0
    configure:4297: ./conftest
    configure:4300: $? = 0
    configure:4323: result: 2
    configure:4349: error: can not detect the size of your system's uid_t type

    ## ---------------- ##
    ## Cache variables. ##
    ## ---------------- ##

    There is also no conftest or conftest.c left behind.

    In this case it looks like it's already finding sys/types.h ok so it's not
    for example a case of adding -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H

    This is on a 506 box with the latest gwxlibs & gnutools where in general I
    successfully build lots of things.

    As far as I can see, this should not be failing. It's looking for something
    that is there, and it's looking in the right place.
    I tried to read configure itself and got lost. There is a section where it
    seems to be several almost identical test compiles to check the lower and
    upper bounds of the size of uid_t with more checks for the same but on a 64
    bit platform etc... Or maybe it only does the battery of test compiles if
    the first one with simple sizeof() fails.

    I posted the same question to the xar mail list and got excatly no
    Probably because I sort of had to include my OS & platform as part of the
    question.
    Thank you SCO for alienating free software developers.
    (Try building Bacula or apcupsd sometime for a very unambiguous and tangible
    example)

  2. Re: xar

    Brian K. White wrote:
    > Can someone shot at building Xar on OSR5-any
    > http://www.opendarwin.org/projects/xar/
    > Looks like it might be a useful archiver / backup tool.

    > This is on a 506 box with the latest gwxlibs & gnutools where in general I
    > successfully build lots of things.

    "XAR requires libcurl, libxml2, OpenSSL, and zlib"

    Are your libs current?

    My question is why? You are not going to have access control lists and the like
    on a OSR5.x box. On the other hand I could envision a day when the driving hand
    on the FreeBSD ports system is Darwin instead of the other day, so I guess this
    is just good planning for the future.

    It's been years, but I seem to remember a utility before things went to *ell at
    SCO giving you the ability to run (lxrun?) linux binaries. Why not statically
    build it on a linux box, and run it that way?

    Just an idea...

    --
    Walter

  3. Re: xar

    >> Can someone shot at building Xar on OSR5-any
    >> http://www.opendarwin.org/projects/xar/
    >> Looks like it might be a useful archiver / backup tool.

    > > This is on a 506 box with the latest gwxlibs & gnutools where in general
    > > successfully build lots of things.

    > "XAR requires libcurl, libxml2, OpenSSL, and zlib"
    >
    > Are your libs current?

    Yeah I have all those and recent versions of them too.

    > My question is why? You are not going to have access control lists and the
    > like on a OSR5.x box. On the other hand I could envision a day when the
    > driving hand on the FreeBSD ports system is Darwin instead of the other
    > day, so I guess this is just good planning for the future.
    >
    > It's been years, but I seem to remember a utility before things went to
    > *ell at SCO giving you the ability to run (lxrun?) linux binaries. Why not
    > statically build it on a linux box, and run it that way?

    I played with lxrun a long time ago. Got as far as running StarOffice (well
    before Sun bought it) under it.
    It's too much fuss to use for anything I'd want to use all the time on lots
    of boxes.
    I don't have a big desperate immediate need for xar. Merely it looked
    interesting and wanted to check it out and ifpossible provide sco bins for
    it in case it's more interesting to someone else than me.
    Plus if it becomes even a little popular I like to have the ability to work
    with any type of archive files that may be handed to me even if I wouldn't
    use them myself in most cases like .zip and .arj

    osr5 doesn't have acl's or large files, but the extended xml based index
    still sounds like it may have interesting uses.
    Not sure what exactly yet, but all I can say is my nose itches. It's like
    any new general purpose thing where it's a blank at first, then you think up
    uses for it, and some of them turn out to be huge.