OSR507, VMware, buslogic SCSI, and MP4 kernel relink - SCO

This is a discussion on OSR507, VMware, buslogic SCSI, and MP4 kernel relink - SCO ; Hey Everybody, Just did an install of 507 under VMWare Server using the BusLogic MultiMaster BT-958 BTLD (the BTLD is version 4.01). I basically followed the instructions here: http://aplawrence.com/OSR5/smithosr5vmware.html The problem occurred after installing MP4. The kernel won't relink...here's the ...

  1. OSR507, VMware, buslogic SCSI, and MP4 kernel relink

    Hey Everybody,

    Just did an install of 507 under VMWare Server using the BusLogic
    MultiMaster BT-958 BTLD (the BTLD is version 4.01). I basically
    followed the instructions here:
    http://aplawrence.com/OSR5/smithosr5vmware.html

    The problem occurred after installing MP4. The kernel won't
    relink...here's the error msg:
    Root for this system build is /
    undefined first referenced
    symbol in file
    blc_ccb_max
    /var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/conf/pack.d/blc/Driver.o
    i386ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to unix
    ERROR: Can not link-edit unix

    idbuild: idmkunix had errors.
    System build failed.

    I think the error that the symbols in the error are no longer/not
    defined in the 507 kernel. Any ideas as to a next step? Is there an
    updated blc btld that works?

    Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

  2. Re: OSR507, VMware, buslogic SCSI, and MP4 kernel relink

    "Kevin Fleming" wrote in message
    news:1140562387.639522.138260@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hey Everybody,
    >
    > Just did an install of 507 under VMWare Server using the BusLogic
    > MultiMaster BT-958 BTLD (the BTLD is version 4.01). I basically
    > followed the instructions here:
    > http://aplawrence.com/OSR5/smithosr5vmware.html
    >
    > The problem occurred after installing MP4. The kernel won't
    > relink...here's the error msg:
    > Root for this system build is /
    > undefined first referenced
    > symbol in file
    > blc_ccb_max
    > /var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/conf/pack.d/blc/Driver.o
    > i386ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to unix
    > ERROR: Can not link-edit unix
    >
    > idbuild: idmkunix had errors.
    > System build failed.
    >

    > I think the error that the symbols in the error are no longer/not
    > defined in the 507 kernel. Any ideas as to a next step? Is there an
    > updated blc btld that works?

    The blc driver was one of many drivers that were updated in MP4.
    Try renaming /etc/conf/pack.d/blc/Driver.o to Driver.o.save, and then
    copying the previous version of Driver.o from
    /opt/K/SCO/Blc/rs507c.Blc522.1.0a/patch_backup/etc/conf/pack.d/blc/Driver.o

    You might now be able to relink the kernel without error.

    -OR-

    You can simply add this line to /etc/conf/pack.d/space.c :

    int blc_ccb_max = 32; /* # of ccb's per controller */

    BUT, since the article you referenced stated that the standard blc
    driver included in 507 doesn't work for VMServer, there's a very
    good chance that this updated driver won't work either, even though
    the kernel can be relinked. (You'll get the 'no root controller' msg
    on the next reboot, and will have to boot from unix.old to fix things
    back to the way they were.)

    Bob

  3. Re: OSR507, VMware, buslogic SCSI, and MP4 kernel relink

    Bob Bailin wrote:
    > "Kevin Fleming" wrote in message
    > news:1140562387.639522.138260@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > > Just did an install of 507 under VMWare Server using the BusLogic
    > > MultiMaster BT-958 BTLD (the BTLD is version 4.01). I basically
    > > followed the instructions here:
    > > http://aplawrence.com/OSR5/smithosr5vmware.html
    > >
    > > The problem occurred after installing MP4. The kernel won't
    > > relink...here's the error msg:
    > > Root for this system build is /
    > > undefined first referenced
    > > symbol in file
    > > blc_ccb_max
    > > /var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/conf/pack.d/blc/Driver.o
    > > i386ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to unix
    > > ERROR: Can not link-edit unix
    > >
    > > idbuild: idmkunix had errors.
    > > System build failed.

    > The blc driver was one of many drivers that were updated in MP4.
    > Try renaming /etc/conf/pack.d/blc/Driver.o to Driver.o.save, and then
    > copying the previous version of Driver.o from
    > /opt/K/SCO/Blc/rs507c.Blc522.1.0a/patch_backup/etc/conf/pack.d/blc/Driver.o
    >
    > You might now be able to relink the kernel without error.
    >
    > -OR-
    >
    > You can simply add this line to /etc/conf/pack.d/space.c :
    >
    > int blc_ccb_max = 32; /* # of ccb's per controller */
    >
    > BUT, since the article you referenced stated that the standard blc
    > driver included in 507 doesn't work for VMServer, there's a very
    > good chance that this updated driver won't work either, even though
    > the kernel can be relinked. (You'll get the 'no root controller' msg
    > on the next reboot, and will have to boot from unix.old to fix things
    > back to the way they were.)
    >
    > Bob

    Thanks Bob, you're awesome. The first answer was correct....replace
    the driver from patch_backup, relink, and Bob's your uncle. (No pun
    intended.)
    (I actually tried your second idea first, and found that your "BUT"
    statement ran true....no root controller.

    Thanks again,
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread