Telnet Access: Keyboard settings - SCO

This is a discussion on Telnet Access: Keyboard settings - SCO ; Hi All, I access my Sco Unix server (Unixware 7 on Conversant Machine) through telnet on my desktop PC. But fuctions keys are working. Can anybody tell me which terminal settings should I give, so that i can use fuction ...

  1. Telnet Access: Keyboard settings

    Hi All,

    I access my Sco Unix server (Unixware 7 on Conversant Machine) through
    telnet on my desktop PC. But fuctions keys are working. Can anybody
    tell me which terminal settings should I give, so that i can use
    fuction keys.

    Thanks in advance.
    Sushil

  2. Re: Telnet Access: Keyboard settings

    mrsharma1001@gmail.com schrieb:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I access my Sco Unix server (Unixware 7 on Conversant Machine) through
    > telnet on my desktop PC. But fuctions keys are working. Can anybody

    Fine.
    > tell me which terminal settings should I give, so that i can use
    > fuction keys.

    Take a look in your manual shipped with terminal emulation program.
    Which you're using?
    VT100 and Vt100 emulations have no support for function keys.
    The DECVT220 has 14 function keys.

    Andreas Kohl

  3. Re: Telnet Access: Keyboard settings

    mrsharma1001@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I access my Sco Unix server (Unixware 7 on Conversant Machine) through
    > telnet on my desktop PC.

    Which telnet program are you using on the desktop PC?
    Which operating system is on your desktop PC?

    If you are using the telnet.exe included with Windows XP Pro SP2 then
    you should be aware that it is a very poor terminal emulator. I'd
    suggest you try something else. There are plenty of good commercial
    products. Googling this group for "terminal emulator" should find some
    recommendations. If you need something free then I'd use Putty.

    > But fuctions keys are working.

    I guess you really nean *NOT* working?

    Note that Windows XP's telnet.exe emulates (partially) a VT100. The
    genuine VT100 only has four function keys (labelled PF1 to PF4). The
    remaining function keys on A PC keyboard behave a bit like an xterm
    under telnet.exe.

    > Can anybody tell me which terminal settings should I give, so that i can use
    > fuction keys.

    Sorry I don't know which is best on Unixware 7. As I said, I'd use a
    different terminal emulator. I expect Windows XP Pro's telnet.exe works
    least badly with TERM set to xterm. So I'd try that.

    YMMV, caveat emptor.

  4. Re: Telnet Access: Keyboard settings

    > mrsharma1001@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I access my Sco Unix server (Unixware 7 on Conversant Machine) through
    >> telnet on my desktop PC.

    > Which telnet program are you using on the desktop PC?
    > Which operating system is on your desktop PC?
    >
    > If you are using the telnet.exe included with Windows XP Pro SP2 then you
    > should be aware that it is a very poor terminal emulator. I'd suggest you try
    > something else. There are plenty of good commercial products. Googling this
    > group for "terminal emulator" should find some recommendations. If you need
    > something free then I'd use Putty.
    >
    >> But fuctions keys are working.

    > I guess you really nean *NOT* working?
    >
    > Note that Windows XP's telnet.exe emulates (partially) a VT100. The genuine
    > VT100 only has four function keys (labelled PF1 to PF4). The remaining
    > function keys on A PC keyboard behave a bit like an xterm under telnet.exe.
    >
    >> Can anybody tell me which terminal settings should I give, so that i can
    >> use
    >> fuction keys.
    >>

    > Sorry I don't know which is best on Unixware 7. As I said, I'd use a
    > different terminal emulator. I expect Windows XP Pro's telnet.exe works least
    > badly with TERM set to xterm. So I'd try that.
    >
    > YMMV, caveat emptor.

    And Putty can work with ssh.

    Andre Georgel

    Pour répondre et obtenir l'adresse Email :
    http://marreduspam.com/ad897732
    Site : http://materiels.trans.free.fr

    "La perfection n'est pas lorsqu'il n'y a*plus rien à
    ajouter, mais lorsque qu'il n'y a plus rien à enlever."
    "Perfection is not when there is nothing to add, but
    when there is nothing to remove."

    (A. de Saint Exupery)