TBLNK on osr600 - SCO

This is a discussion on TBLNK on osr600 - SCO ; I have a Dell SC430 with USB keyboard. I loaded 6.0 with MP1 and oss702b. I set the TBLNK to 300 (5 minutes) and it does blank the screen in 5 minutes and then it never comes back when touching ...

  1. TBLNK on osr600

    I have a Dell SC430 with USB keyboard.
    I loaded 6.0 with MP1 and oss702b.

    I set the TBLNK to 300 (5 minutes)
    and it does blank the screen in 5 minutes
    and then it never comes back when touching any key.
    Or banging on the keyboard or anythiong that I have tried.

    If I am logged in before it blanks, I can here beeps if
    I press certain keys but the screen stays blank.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Carl

  2. Re: TBLNK on osr600

    Carl typed (on Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 04:56:05PM -0600):
    | I have a Dell SC430 with USB keyboard.
    | I loaded 6.0 with MP1 and oss702b.
    |
    | I set the TBLNK to 300 (5 minutes)
    | and it does blank the screen in 5 minutes
    | and then it never comes back when touching any key.
    | Or banging on the keyboard or anythiong that I have tried.
    |
    | If I am logged in before it blanks, I can here beeps if
    | I press certain keys but the screen stays blank.
    |
    | Any ideas?

    I don't see such a problem. My screen blanks after the stated delay, and
    any key wakes it up again.

    Perhaps you should describe your hardware?

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  3. Re: TBLNK on osr600

    On 17 Feb 2006 21:19:18 -0500, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:

    >Carl typed (on Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 04:56:05PM -0600):
    >| I have a Dell SC430 with USB keyboard.
    >| I loaded 6.0 with MP1 and oss702b.
    >|
    >| I set the TBLNK to 300 (5 minutes)
    >| and it does blank the screen in 5 minutes
    >| and then it never comes back when touching any key.
    >| Or banging on the keyboard or anythiong that I have tried.
    >|
    >| If I am logged in before it blanks, I can here beeps if
    >| I press certain keys but the screen stays blank.
    >|
    >| Any ideas?
    >
    >I don't see such a problem. My screen blanks after the stated delay, and
    >any key wakes it up again.
    >
    >Perhaps you should describe your hardware?

    A generic PowerEdge SC 430: 1 serial, 1 video (oddball make),
    1 IDE CDROM, 1 Broadcom NIC, 1 sata drive, and USB keyboard and mouse.
    I would get a standard PS2 with IDE drive type server but that is soon
    leaving us as a standard in favor of the above.

    I couldn't load the default with scologin "on" on this machine either.
    First it won't recognize any USB mouse that I have provided. Anyway,
    it would boot up, then change to blank screen at the last moment.
    I used different monitors with no change in video.
    Since there is no select of video at load to some simple mode
    I dropped scologin as I normally don't use it anyway.
    (If I get the urge to point, type, point again, type, etc. I will
    load a Bill Gates special.)
    Seems to work OK in manual/no scologin load though - untill I put
    on the screensaver.

    6.0.0 gave me problems with SC 800 series machines last year. I had
    two machines side by side and one would boot only half the time while
    the other was OK. I loaded 5.0.7 on both eventually (without
    problems) and kicked em out the door as a fall back. I am trying
    again with 6.0.0 out of desperation of not finding time-honored
    hardware.

    Do you have a USB keyboard on your machine? USB tends to be
    unpluggable. Maybe there is some kind of separation between console
    video and keyboard?

    Carl

  4. Re: TBLNK on osr600

    wrote:

    > >| I have a Dell SC430 with USB keyboard.
    > >| I loaded 6.0 with MP1 and oss702b.
    > >|
    > >| I set the TBLNK to 300 (5 minutes)
    > >| and it does blank the screen in 5 minutes
    > >| and then it never comes back when touching any key.
    > >| Or banging on the keyboard or anythiong that I have tried.
    > >|
    > >| If I am logged in before it blanks, I can here beeps if
    > >| I press certain keys but the screen stays blank.

    > A generic PowerEdge SC 430: 1 serial, 1 video (oddball make),
    > 1 IDE CDROM, 1 Broadcom NIC, 1 sata drive, and USB keyboard and mouse.
    > I would get a standard PS2 with IDE drive type server but that is soon
    > leaving us as a standard in favor of the above.
    >
    > I couldn't load the default with scologin "on" on this machine either.
    > First it won't recognize any USB mouse that I have provided. Anyway,
    > it would boot up, then change to blank screen at the last moment.
    > I used different monitors with no change in video.
    > Since there is no select of video at load to some simple mode
    > I dropped scologin as I normally don't use it anyway.

    "video (oddball make)" makes my ears itch. "boot up, then change to
    blank screen at the last moment" increases the itch.

    For test purposes, can you drop in a more typical video board? I bet
    the problem will go away. Then you can divulge the secret make and
    model of the first video card, and maybe someone can do something about
    it. Meanwhile, your system will be working and you can just donate the
    oddball board to charity or something...

    >Bela<

  5. Re: TBLNK on osr600

    The onboard video is a Volari Z7 Video Controller.
    I don't see anywhere on how to turn it off in BIOS.
    However, I will get a PCI video card tomorrow and try it.

    I did put in a PCI IDE subsystem this weekend and temporarily
    loaded 5.0.7. TBLNK works just great on it. . .

    Carl

  6. Re: TBLNK on osr600

    Carl Eaton wrote:

    > The onboard video is a Volari Z7 Video Controller.
    > I don't see anywhere on how to turn it off in BIOS.
    > However, I will get a PCI video card tomorrow and try it.
    >
    > I did put in a PCI IDE subsystem this weekend and temporarily
    > loaded 5.0.7. TBLNK works just great on it. . .

    Good test, but it turns out to be irrelevant in this case. The console
    video drivers in OSR507 and OSR600 have only the slightest ancient genetic
    relationship.

    >Bela<

  7. Re: TBLNK on osr600

    On 20 Feb 2006 15:55:10 -0500, Bela Lubkin wrote:

    >Carl Eaton wrote:
    >
    >> The onboard video is a Volari Z7 Video Controller.
    >> I don't see anywhere on how to turn it off in BIOS.
    >> However, I will get a PCI video card tomorrow and try it.
    >>
    >> I did put in a PCI IDE subsystem this weekend and temporarily
    >> loaded 5.0.7. TBLNK works just great on it. . .

    >Good test, but it turns out to be irrelevant in this case. The console
    >video drivers in OSR507 and OSR600 have only the slightest ancient genetic
    >relationship.
    >
    >>Bela<

    Got a PCI Video card with a "Cirrus Logic" chip that I have used
    before in an older machine and the same thing happened.
    I also reloaded 6.0.0. It does it before loading MP1 and after.

    I guess SC430 can be written off SCOs list of approved machines.
    However:
    Since it is bargain basement cost from Dell, I'll never get the boss
    to not buy them.

    My own pitiful patch: I turned off TBLNK then I wrote a script that
    will send a few of s to tty0x's every other hour if no activity
    noted by "finger".

    Carl

+ Reply to Thread