uucp over ssh - SCO

This is a discussion on uucp over ssh - SCO ; Hello, Is it possible to configure UUCP (from OSR5 or Unixware) to connect over a ssh connection? Otherwise should I use stunnel for UUCP over TCP? Regards, Andreas Kohl...

  1. uucp over ssh

    Hello,

    Is it possible to configure UUCP (from OSR5 or Unixware) to connect over
    a ssh connection?
    Otherwise should I use stunnel for UUCP over TCP?

    Regards,
    Andreas Kohl

  2. Re: uucp over ssh

    On Thu, Feb 16, 2006, Andreas Kohl wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >Is it possible to configure UUCP (from OSR5 or Unixware) to connect over
    >a ssh connection?

    Somebody besides me an JP that's still using uucp :-).

    You can certainly use ssh port forwarding to do this. Every time
    I have to do something like this I have to RTFM a bit to remember
    how it's done.

    The easiest way to handle things like this is often to use VPN
    appliances like the LinkSys BEFVP41. These make it easy to
    create IPSec tunnels between systems, independent of the OS of
    the machines on the private network. They're cheap, easy to
    configure, and generally pretty reliable.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

    ``Nobody wants to be called common people, especially common people.''
    Will Rogers

  3. Re: uucp over ssh

    Bill Campbell typed (on Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 10:18:00AM -0800):
    | On Thu, Feb 16, 2006, Andreas Kohl wrote:
    | >Hello,
    | >
    | >Is it possible to configure UUCP (from OSR5 or Unixware) to connect over
    | >a ssh connection?
    |
    | Somebody besides me an JP that's still using uucp :-).
    |
    | You can certainly use ssh port forwarding to do this. Every time
    | I have to do something like this I have to RTFM a bit to remember
    | how it's done.
    |
    | The easiest way to handle things like this is often to use VPN
    | appliances like the LinkSys BEFVP41. These make it easy to
    | create IPSec tunnels between systems, independent of the OS of
    | the machines on the private network. They're cheap, easy to
    | configure, and generally pretty reliable.

    As Bill say, this is totally feasible.

    I install Taylor uucp, which is really a big improvement over HDB uucp.
    For one thing, Taylor's 'i' protocol does bi-directional simultaneous
    transfers, rather than the old "my-turn your-turn" of classic HDB.

    Taylor uucp allows piping the local uucico through the local ssh to the
    remote's sshd to the remote's uucico.

    I've set up one customer so that all of the transfers between the sites
    do not talk directly; instead they each contact a firewall, letting
    uucp's store-and-forward capability really shine. The reduction in
    overseas long-distance charges was dramatic, and the speed increase
    compared to modem connections was also amazing.

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  4. Re: uucp over ssh

    Bill Campbell schrieb:
    > On Thu, Feb 16, 2006, Andreas Kohl wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>Is it possible to configure UUCP (from OSR5 or Unixware) to connect over
    >>a ssh connection?

    > Somebody besides me an JP that's still using uucp :-).
    >
    > You can certainly use ssh port forwarding to do this. Every time
    > I have to do something like this I have to RTFM a bit to remember
    > how it's done.

    The UUCP documentation is not updated in OSR6. There are some changes
    while reading the release notes.

    > The easiest way to handle things like this is often to use VPN
    > appliances like the LinkSys BEFVP41.

    Ok, but I prefer Shiva vpn boxes

    > These make it easy to
    > create IPSec tunnels between systems, independent of the OS of
    > the machines on the private network. They're cheap, easy to
    > configure, and generally pretty reliable.
    >
    > Bill
    > --

    Thanks,
    Andreas
    > INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    > FAX: (206) 232-9186 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
    >
    > ``Nobody wants to be called common people, especially common people.''
    > Will Rogers

  5. Re: uucp over ssh

    Jean-Pierre Radley schrieb:
    > Bill Campbell typed (on Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 10:18:00AM -0800):
    > | On Thu, Feb 16, 2006, Andreas Kohl wrote:
    > | >Hello,
    > | >
    > | >Is it possible to configure UUCP (from OSR5 or Unixware) to connect over
    > | >a ssh connection?
    > |
    > | Somebody besides me an JP that's still using uucp :-).
    > |
    > | You can certainly use ssh port forwarding to do this. Every time
    > | I have to do something like this I have to RTFM a bit to remember
    > | how it's done.
    > |
    > | The easiest way to handle things like this is often to use VPN
    > | appliances like the LinkSys BEFVP41. These make it easy to
    > | create IPSec tunnels between systems, independent of the OS of
    > | the machines on the private network. They're cheap, easy to
    > | configure, and generally pretty reliable.
    > |

    > As Bill say, this is totally feasible.
    >
    > I install Taylor uucp, which is really a big improvement over HDB uucp.
    > For one thing, Taylor's 'i' protocol does bi-directional simultaneous
    > transfers, rather than the old "my-turn your-turn" of classic HDB.
    >
    > Taylor uucp allows piping the local uucico through the local ssh to the
    > remote's sshd to the remote's uucico.

    That's what I wanted to do with HoneyDanBer. But it seems not possible?
    So I will have to compile Taylor UUCP 1.07 on monday - are binaries for
    sco unix available somewhere?

    > I've set up one customer so that all of the transfers between the sites
    > do not talk directly; instead they each contact a firewall, letting
    > uucp's store-and-forward capability really shine. The reduction in
    > overseas long-distance charges was dramatic, and the speed increase
    > compared to modem connections was also amazing.

    interesting. Do you use sendmail or mmdf?

    Regards,
    Andreas Kohl

  6. Re: uucp over ssh

    On Fri, Feb 17, 2006, Andreas Kohl wrote:
    >Bill Campbell schrieb:
    >>On Thu, Feb 16, 2006, Andreas Kohl wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>Is it possible to configure UUCP (from OSR5 or Unixware) to connect over
    >>>a ssh connection?

    >>Somebody besides me an JP that's still using uucp :-).
    >>
    >>You can certainly use ssh port forwarding to do this. Every time
    >>I have to do something like this I have to RTFM a bit to remember
    >>how it's done.
    >>

    >The UUCP documentation is not updated in OSR6. There are some changes
    >while reading the release notes.

    It's been at least 10 year since I used SCO's uucp. As JP said,
    get and install Taylor uucp to replace SCO's (you still need to
    have the Devices file correct to get dial-in/dial-out working
    properly on SCO as the lines in Devices need to agree with the
    lines in the /etc/inittab file).

    >>The easiest way to handle things like this is often to use VPN
    >>appliances like the LinkSys BEFVP41.

    >Ok, but I prefer Shiva vpn boxes

    Whatever works for you. I've never used Shiva, and don't know
    anything about them.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

    ``Are we at last brought to such a humiliating and debasing degradation,
    that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense? Where is the
    difference between having our arms in our own possession and under our own
    direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense
    be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted
    with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?''
    -- Patrick Henry June 9, 1788, in the Virginia Convention on the
    ratification of the Constitution.

  7. Re: uucp over ssh

    On Fri, Feb 17, 2006, Andreas Kohl wrote:
    >Jean-Pierre Radley schrieb:
    >>Bill Campbell typed (on Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 10:18:00AM -0800):

    >>As Bill say, this is totally feasible.
    >>
    >>I install Taylor uucp, which is really a big improvement over HDB uucp.
    >>For one thing, Taylor's 'i' protocol does bi-directional simultaneous
    >>transfers, rather than the old "my-turn your-turn" of classic HDB.
    >>
    >>Taylor uucp allows piping the local uucico through the local ssh to the
    >>remote's sshd to the remote's uucico.

    >That's what I wanted to do with HoneyDanBer. But it seems not possible?
    >So I will have to compile Taylor UUCP 1.07 on monday - are binaries for
    >sco unix available somewhere?
    >>
    >>I've set up one customer so that all of the transfers between the sites
    >>do not talk directly; instead they each contact a firewall, letting
    >>uucp's store-and-forward capability really shine. The reduction in
    >>overseas long-distance charges was dramatic, and the speed increase
    >>compared to modem connections was also amazing.
    >>

    >interesting. Do you use sendmail or mmdf?

    I've *NEVER* used sendmail or mmdf. Sendmail was horribly insecure when we
    first connected to the Internet in 1991. MMDF has always been pretty much
    an SCO-only system.

    I think JP runs smail-3.x which is what we ran when we were running
    OpenServer as our main mail servers.

    We're now using postfix on all our mail servers.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

    Marijuana will be legal some day, because the many law students
    who now smoke pot will someday become congressmen and legalize
    it in order to protect themselves.
    -- Lenny Bruce

+ Reply to Thread