OpenServer 5.0.7 on Virtual Server or Virtual PC - SCO

This is a discussion on OpenServer 5.0.7 on Virtual Server or Virtual PC - SCO ; I saw some discussions last year about people trying to install OpenServer on VPC without success. I was wondering if things have changed and whether anyone had success with Virtual PC or Virtual Server. I am using Virtual Server 2005 ...

  1. OpenServer 5.0.7 on Virtual Server or Virtual PC

    I saw some discussions last year about people trying to install OpenServer
    on VPC without success. I was wondering if things have changed and whether
    anyone had success with Virtual PC or Virtual Server. I am using Virtual
    Server 2005 R2.

    Basically it is saying it cannot find a root volume.

    Thanks for any tips.

  2. Re: OpenServer 5.0.7 on Virtual Server or Virtual PC

    Here's the answer Bela gave me when I posted a few days ago...

    Josh Assing wrote:

    > I am attempting to install SCO OpenServer within Virtual Server 2005 R2.
    >
    > When it goes into the text mode boot screen all the text is just blocks of
    > blue on black. No letters are distinguishable.
    >
    > Any ideas what settings I can tweak?

    Look for the "ivga" and/or "invd" BTLDs (google "ivga btld", "invd
    btld"). You may need one or both of those.

    OSR507 boots and installs successfully in VMware WorkStation (tested
    5.50) and I expect in VMware Server as well (haven't tried it yet).

    Next time, state your OSR5 version number as well as your virtual
    machine software version...

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 21:32:35 -0500, "Neil W" wrote:

    >I saw some discussions last year about people trying to install OpenServer
    >on VPC without success. I was wondering if things have changed and whether
    >anyone had success with Virtual PC or Virtual Server. I am using Virtual
    >Server 2005 R2.
    >
    >Basically it is saying it cannot find a root volume.
    >
    >Thanks for any tips.

    --- AntiSpam/harvest ---
    Remove X's to send email to me.

  3. Re: OpenServer 5.0.7 on Virtual Server or Virtual PC

    Neil W wrote:
    > I saw some discussions last year about people trying to install OpenServer
    > on VPC without success. I was wondering if things have changed and whether
    > anyone had success with Virtual PC or Virtual Server. I am using Virtual
    > Server 2005 R2.
    >
    > Basically it is saying it cannot find a root volume.
    >
    > Thanks for any tips.

    Sorry if this sound off topic (well, probably it is) but I found the
    same problems with Qemu 0.8.0. With the help of a patch a was able to
    bypass a display problem but ended up having the same HD recognition
    problems you described.

    Just my 2 Eurocents,
    Rob

    --
    Roberto Zini - r.zini<@AT@>strhold.it
    "Has anybody around here seen an aircraft carrier?"

  4. Re: OpenServer 5.0.7 on Virtual Server or Virtual PC

    > Neil W wrote:
    > > I saw some discussions last year about people trying to install OpenServer
    > > on VPC without success. I was wondering if things have changed and whether
    > > anyone had success with Virtual PC or Virtual Server. I am using Virtual
    > > Server 2005 R2.

    Not sure if you're aware of some of the other options, but VMWare
    Server is now available for free. I'd been using the Workstation for a
    couple of years, but the Server version has a neat web interface.
    Installation of 5.0.6 and 5.0.7 was essentially flawless.
    http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

    Kevin

  5. Re: OpenServer 5.0.7 on Virtual Server or Virtual PC

    I think that will be the next step. Thanks for the tip.
    ______________________

    "Kevin Fleming" wrote in message
    >> Neil W wrote:
    >> > I saw some discussions last year about people trying to install
    >> > OpenServer
    >> > on VPC without success. I was wondering if things have changed and
    >> > whether
    >> > anyone had success with Virtual PC or Virtual Server. I am using
    >> > Virtual
    >> > Server 2005 R2.
    >> >

    > Not sure if you're aware of some of the other options, but VMWare
    > Server is now available for free. I'd been using the Workstation for a
    > couple of years, but the Server version has a neat web interface.
    > Installation of 5.0.6 and 5.0.7 was essentially flawless.
    > http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
    >
    > Kevin

  6. Re: OpenServer 5.0.7 on Virtual Server or Virtual PC

    Kevin Fleming wrote:

    > > Neil W wrote:
    > > > I saw some discussions last year about people trying to install OpenServer
    > > > on VPC without success. I was wondering if things have changed and whether
    > > > anyone had success with Virtual PC or Virtual Server. I am using Virtual
    > > > Server 2005 R2.

    > Not sure if you're aware of some of the other options, but VMWare
    > Server is now available for free. I'd been using the Workstation for a
    > couple of years, but the Server version has a neat web interface.
    > Installation of 5.0.6 and 5.0.7 was essentially flawless.
    > http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

    Since I am now working at VMware in an engineering capacity, one of my
    side-projects (nothing official) is to bring up all the SCO OSes on my
    desktop hardware and make sure everything works.

    I already know that OSR507, OSR6 (but it was an early pre-beta), and
    UW714, all work on VMware WorkStation. This bodes well for the other
    VMware virtualization products (VMware Server nee GSX, and VMware
    ESX Server). The different products do have some major emulation
    differences, though, so no guarantees...

    One significant difference with ESX is that it does not offer IDE disk
    emulation. So one "easy way out" path to success is cut off.

    I should have a trickle of more information over the next few weeks or
    months.

    >Bela<

  7. Re: OpenServer 5.0.7 on Virtual Server or Virtual PC

    >Installation of 5.0.6 and 5.0.7 was essentially flawless.
    >http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

    Essentially? what problems did you run into? And if I may ask; what were the
    solutions?

    Thanks
    -josh

    --- AntiSpam/harvest ---
    Remove X's to send email to me.

  8. Re: OpenServer 5.0.7 on Virtual Server or Virtual PC

    Josh Assing wrote:
    > >Installation of 5.0.6 and 5.0.7 was essentially flawless.
    > >http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

    > Essentially? what problems did you run into? And if I may ask; what were the
    > solutions?
    >
    > Thanks
    > -josh

    The only thing that is hit or miss is the X video....sometimes it works
    great, and sometimes it doesn't work at all. Since I don't really use
    it I never spent any time trying to get it working. I don't know
    whether it's a problem that everyone has or just some glitch on my
    system with my video drivers. You can always CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to the
    other screens. One tip is to change the VMWare keystroke to release
    the cursor from its default CTRL-ALT to CTRL-ALT-SHIFT.
    I installed them under Workstation 4, then upgraded them to 5.5, and
    now running the same machines in Server.
    As far as I remember, though, the install process was a piece of cake
    otherwise.

    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread