SCO crud sub database dirt - SCO

This is a discussion on SCO crud sub database dirt - SCO ; Hello, The SCO box 5.0.6 had a hard crash today. I think the main application on this box went nuts with a sort or something and filled /tmp Seeing a lot of these in /usr/adm/syslog unable to write terminal control ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. SCO crud sub database dirt

    Hello,

    The SCO box 5.0.6 had a hard crash today. I think the main application
    on this box went nuts with a sort or something and filled /tmp

    Seeing a lot of these in /usr/adm/syslog

    unable to write terminal control database entry for line ttyp*

    It's been a while since I've dealt with this. Found this in the NG -

    cd /etc/auth/system
    mv ttys /tmp/ttys.bad
    (if you just copy it, you need to manually remove ttys)

    touch /etc/auth/system/ttys

    chown auth:auth /etc/auth/system/ttys

    /tcb/bin/ttyupd

    /tcb/bin/ale /etc/auth/system/ttys pttyupd

    Is this what I should do ?

    btb

  2. Re: SCO crud sub database dirt

    B...@gmail.com typed (on Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 08:27:40AM -0800):
    | Hello,
    |
    | The SCO box 5.0.6 had a hard crash today. I think the main application
    | on this box went nuts with a sort or something and filled /tmp
    |
    | Seeing a lot of these in /usr/adm/syslog
    |
    | unable to write terminal control database entry for line ttyp*
    |
    | It's been a while since I've dealt with this. Found this in the NG -
    |
    | cd /etc/auth/system
    | mv ttys /tmp/ttys.bad
    | (if you just copy it, you need to manually remove ttys)
    |
    | touch /etc/auth/system/ttys
    |
    | chown auth:auth /etc/auth/system/ttys
    |
    | /tcb/bin/ttyupd
    |
    | /tcb/bin/ale /etc/auth/system/ttys pttyupd
    |
    | Is this what I should do ?

    I quoted that from a TA, and I could quote it again, but I already did. :-)

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  3. Re: SCO crud sub database dirt

    OK to do multiuser ?

  4. Re: SCO crud sub database dirt

    B...@gmail.com typed (on Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:51:12PM -0800):
    | OK to do multiuser ?

    Since my crystal ball is in the repair shop, I have to ask,

    "OK to do *what*?"

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  5. Re: SCO crud sub database dirt

    Sorry to hear that.

    cd /etc/auth/system
    mv ttys /tmp/ttys.bad
    (if you just copy it, you need to manually remove ttys)

    touch /etc/auth/system/ttys

    chown auth:auth /etc/auth/system/ttys

    /tcb/bin/ttyupd

    /tcb/bin/ale /etc/auth/system/ttys pttyupd

  6. Re: SCO crud sub database dirt

    B...@gmail.com typed (on Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 02:09:28PM -0800):
    | Sorry to hear that.

    Sorry to hear what????

    | cd /etc/auth/system
    | mv ttys /tmp/ttys.bad
    | (if you just copy it, you need to manually remove ttys)
    |
    | touch /etc/auth/system/ttys
    |
    | chown auth:auth /etc/auth/system/ttys
    |
    | /tcb/bin/ttyupd
    |
    | /tcb/bin/ale /etc/auth/system/ttys pttyupd

    Why are you posting those commands?

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  7. Re: SCO crud sub database dirt

    Jean-Pierre

    I have listen to you for years.

    It's time for a new news reader.

    I pulled the trigger. It worked.

    btb

  8. Re: SCO crud sub database dirt

    Brent Bolin wrote:

    > Jean-Pierre
    >
    > I have listen to you for years.
    >
    > It's time for a new news reader.

    If you are responding to JP's oblique requests for some context: JP is
    right. It's downright rude to participate in a USENET technical
    conversation without quoting context. You should not expect any help
    under those conditions.

    >Bela<

  9. Re: SCO crud sub database dirt

    B...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Jean-Pierre
    >
    > I have listen to you for years.
    > It's time for a new news reader.

    I have the feeling you really *really* should read this ...
    http://groups.google.com/googlegroup...html#summarize

    > I pulled the trigger. It worked.

    I think the answer to your original question is yes. I'd have a peek in
    ttys out of interest. Sometimes this is illuminating.

  10. Re: SCO crud sub database dirt

    Ian Wilson wrote:
    > B...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Jean-Pierre
    >>
    >> I have listen to you for years.
    >> It's time for a new news reader.

    > I have the feeling you really *really* should read this ...
    > http://groups.google.com/googlegroup...html#summarize

    Of course he should. But the real problem is that he doesn't understand
    how Usenet works, so he thinks JP and the rest of us are idiots for
    complaining about his lack of context.

    Google does briefly mention that posts can arrive out of order, but I
    think they should:

    o Automatically position the cursor at the end of included context.

    o Put up a balloon that explains why the context is there and why YOU
    are the moron if you don't include the relevant parts.

    But really: it's hopeless. The new Internet generation thinks Usenet is
    a forum hosted by Google or Aol or whatever. They have no picture of
    how things really work and frankly don't care.

    The barbarians have crossed the river and are sacking the city. I for
    one welcome our new clueless overlords :-)

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

  11. Re: SCO crud sub database dirt

    In <7ZGdnVJiiNwR8W3eRVn-jQ@comcast.com> Tony Lawrence:

    [Snip...]

    > The barbarians have crossed the river and are sacking the city.

    I waited out the looters from AOL/WebTV, and I'll wait out their brethren
    from GoogleGrope. They'll soon tire of grumpy old *nix curmudgeons, going
    on to whatever other mindless raving fads the marketdroids concoct.

    They don't irritate me nearly as much as Google's arrogance ignoring what
    seems to me polite offers from the Usenet community to help fix it. It is
    what Do No Evil means when it comes to the Have No Money interests.

    I'm just dumping the entire lot until this latest infestation abates (see
    my X-spambot-trap header, FWIW).

  12. Re: SCO crud sub database dirt

    As someone who did go through Google and is likely doing things all
    wrong, I apologize ahead of time and appreciate your patience.

    So far I have only posted help for people and not my own submissions,
    but that doesn't mean I am not doing it completely wrong.
    Hmm, hold on, I think I need to post the relevant data in here.... If
    my theory is correct as to the complaint here, then you will see this
    post and have no idea what I am referring to.
    Uh... but if I post the whole previous post, then it will be hard to
    differentiate between that data and mine... uh..., see this is why I
    should read the directions I guess. Done! I will now read the
    directions and my futrue posts will (hopefully) be done in the correct
    way.

  13. Re: SCO crud sub database dirt

    Tonagon wrote:

    > Uh... but if I post the whole previous post, then it will be hard to
    > differentiate between that data and mine... uh..., see this is why I
    > should read the directions I guess. Done! I will now read the
    > directions and my futrue posts will (hopefully) be done in the correct
    > way.

    So do you find it hard to differentiate between your words and mine?

    I'm not being a wise guy - some people just don't "get it". My wife
    can't follow quoting like this - it confuses her.

    I don't know what to say to the people who have that problem - other
    than "stay out of Usenet" (and again, no mean spirit is meant at all -
    just reality).

    A "good" newsreader can help you by offering to hide/unhide quoted text
    (Gmail does that in email and groups.google.com seems to be able to do
    it sometimes) or by coloring quoted text (Thunderbird and many others do
    that).

    The important thing to understand is that posts do not necessarily
    arrive in the order they were made. Someone CAN see my reply to you
    before they get to see your post. *That* is why we get so grumpy about
    including context. The other issue is top posting vs. bottom posting,
    and the custom is to "bottom post"; that is reply under quoted text. It
    is just custom: in spite of attempts to justify it as "less confusing",
    in fact it doesn't really matter - except that it IS custom, and custom
    is important: ignore customs and you will be ignored.

    I find it amusing that for most emails I have to top-post or run the
    risk of people not understanding or not even realizing that I did reply,
    while for Usenet the opposite is true.

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

  14. Re: SCO crud sub database dirt

    >So do you find it hard to differentiate between your words and mine?
    No, but I was thinking that other people would have that problem. I am
    hoping that this post will be done correctly.
    I put the line to which I am referring from the previous post and added
    the > in front of it.

    >A "good" newsreader can help you by offering to hide/unhide quoted text
    >(Gmail does that in email and groups.google.com seems to be able to do
    >it sometimes) or by coloring quoted text (Thunderbird and many others do
    >that).

    Do any of them have spellcheck? My typing is historicaly awful.
    As always you are a wealth of information. From what I can see you are
    greatly appreciated by the UNIX community as a whole as well.
    Seriously, I just used your web site (aplawrence.com is your baby
    right?) as well as some of these usenet/google groups posts to get
    tightvnc working on a new SCO 5.06 install and while I had to fight
    with it for a couple of hours to finally get the service to start (had
    to pound out the password file checking lines in the perl script for
    some reason) I learned a lot and would never had been able to do it
    alone.

    I have noticed that Bela has really pulled people out of the fire many
    times and should be acknowleged for that. You guys are awesome!

    I was thrown into an admin role for SCO unix systems about 6 years ago
    with no formal training and barely an idea how to reboot a computer.
    Thanks to your website and others, and lots of trial and error, there
    are those around here that think I am a friggin UNIX guru. I know I
    have barely scratched the surface, but it is all relative of course.

    Thanks again to all of you true GURUs!

  15. Variable Replacement Question

    Hello all,

    COMPANY='JOE'S TRUCKING CO. ' <== Problem (3 hyphens in one line)
    ^=== when using hyphen as part of variable
    COMPANYx='JOES TRUCKING CO. ' <== Not a problem, theres no hyphen in JOES
    ADDRESS='123 MAIN ST. '

    Couple of requirements:
    1. The hyphens enclosing the entire variable MUST be used as displayed above.
    Open/Closed quotation marks cannot be used... single or double.
    2. Objective is to change JOE'S ==> JOES as in COMPANYx above
    WITHOUT modifying the the first and last hyphens.

    I'm hoping there's a simple solution... but my noodle is cooked.

    Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    - Jeff Hyman

  16. Re: Variable Replacement Question

    Jeff Hyman wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > COMPANY='JOE'S TRUCKING CO. ' <== Problem (3 hyphens in one line)
    > ^=== when using hyphen as part of variable
    > COMPANYx='JOES TRUCKING CO. ' <== Not a problem, theres no hyphen in JOES
    > ADDRESS='123 MAIN ST. '
    >
    > Couple of requirements:
    > 1. The hyphens enclosing the entire variable MUST be used as displayed above.
    > Open/Closed quotation marks cannot be used... single or double.
    > 2. Objective is to change JOE'S ==> JOES as in COMPANYx above
    > WITHOUT modifying the the first and last hyphens.
    >
    > I'm hoping there's a simple solution... but my noodle is cooked.
    >
    > Any input would be greatly appreciated.

    I'm just guessing you are wanting this for a shell script?

    I'll leave it to the awk/perl jockeys for a one liner... but
    wouldn't be more worthwile to strip the variable of any and all evil characters
    and then quote that?
    --
    Walter

  17. Re: SCO crud sub database dirt

    "Tonagon" wrote:

    > >So do you find it hard to differentiate between your words and mine?

    > No, but I was thinking that other people would have that problem. I am
    > hoping that this post will be done correctly.
    > I put the line to which I am referring from the previous post and added
    > the > in front of it.
    >
    > >A "good" newsreader can help you by offering to hide/unhide quoted text
    > >(Gmail does that in email and groups.google.com seems to be able to do
    > >it sometimes) or by coloring quoted text (Thunderbird and many others do
    > >that).

    > Do any of them have spellcheck? My typing is historicaly awful.
    > As always you are a wealth of information. From what I can see you are
    > greatly appreciated by the UNIX community as a whole as well.
    > Seriously, I just used your web site (aplawrence.com is your baby
    > right?) as well as some of these usenet/google groups posts to get
    > tightvnc working on a new SCO 5.06 install and while I had to fight
    > with it for a couple of hours to finally get the service to start (had
    > to pound out the password file checking lines in the perl script for
    > some reason) I learned a lot and would never had been able to do it
    > alone.

    You are rapidly coming up to speed on USENET posting. Your quoting
    style is good now, except it's also good form to announce whom you are
    quoting. I can tell by pronoun matching here that you are quoting Tony
    Lawrence...

    > I have noticed that Bela has really pulled people out of the fire many
    > times and should be acknowleged for that. You guys are awesome!

    I worked for SCO in a support & engineering capacity for 15 years, so
    that was natural. Of course I'm a bit crazy still hanging out here
    while working at a new place...

    > I was thrown into an admin role for SCO unix systems about 6 years ago
    > with no formal training and barely an idea how to reboot a computer.
    > Thanks to your website and others, and lots of trial and error, there
    > are those around here that think I am a friggin UNIX guru. I know I
    > have barely scratched the surface, but it is all relative of course.
    >
    > Thanks again to all of you true GURUs!

    "True" gurus don't answer to that label, and they can usually point up
    the mountain to "the _real_ guru, over there"...

    >Bela<

  18. Re: Variable Replacement Question

    Jeff Hyman wrote (on Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 01:23:37PM -0500):

    | Hello all,
    |
    | COMPANY='JOE'S TRUCKING CO. ' <== Problem (3 hyphens in one line)
    | ^=== when using hyphen as part of variable
    | COMPANYx='JOES TRUCKING CO. ' <== Not a problem, theres no hyphen in JOES
    | ADDRESS='123 MAIN ST. '
    |
    | Couple of requirements:
    | 1. The hyphens enclosing the entire variable MUST be used as displayed above.
    | Open/Closed quotation marks cannot be used... single or double.
    | 2. Objective is to change JOE'S ==> JOES as in COMPANYx above
    | WITHOUT modifying the the first and last hyphens.

    Those aren't hyphens, they're single quotes.

    If double quotes are on the outside of the assignment - No Problem.

    | I'm hoping there's a simple solution... but my noodle is cooked.

    That's what happens when you reach Senior Citizen category. (Ask me,
    I KNOW!).

    --
    Bob Stockler +-+ bob@trebor.iglou.com +-+ http://members.iglou.com/trebor
    Author: MENU EDIT II - The BEST Creator/Editor/Manager for filePro User Menus.
    Fully functional (time-limited) demos available by email request (specify OS).

  19. Re: SCO crud sub database dirt

    Tonagon wrote:
    >> So do you find it hard to differentiate between your words and mine?

    > No, but I was thinking that other people would have that problem. I am
    > hoping that this post will be done correctly.
    > I put the line to which I am referring from the previous post and added
    > the > in front of it.

    You don't have to do that. Your newsreader can handle it for you, even
    Google Groups. With GG, hit Reply and then immediately hit Preview
    before typing anything. Then hit Edit and you'll see everything has
    been nicely quoted. Delete the extraneous and make your post.

    It's too bad Google doesn't just do that automatically.

    >> A "good" newsreader can help you by offering to hide/unhide quoted text
    >> (Gmail does that in email and groups.google.com seems to be able to do
    >> it sometimes) or by coloring quoted text (Thunderbird and many others do
    >> that).

    > Do any of them have spellcheck?

    Absolutely. Thunderbird (I'm using that here) does, and so do many others.

    BTW, if I were doing this "right", I would have changed the subject line
    to something like "Posting Etiquette, was SCO crud sub database dirt"

    I haven't done that to avoid confusing you, but when a thread drifts off
    subject like this, the subject should be changed like that.

    > My typing is historicaly awful.
    > As always you are a wealth of information. From what I can see you are
    > greatly appreciated by the UNIX community as a whole as well.
    > Seriously, I just used your web site (aplawrence.com is your baby
    > right?)

    Yes, and like a baby it needs constant care and feeding :-)

    > I have noticed that Bela has really pulled people out of the fire many
    > times and should be acknowleged for that. You guys are awesome!

    Bela is beyond awesome, beyond fantastic.

    > I was thrown into an admin role for SCO unix systems about 6 years ago
    > with no formal training and barely an idea how to reboot a computer.
    > Thanks to your website and others, and lots of trial and error, there
    > are those around here that think I am a friggin UNIX guru. I know I
    > have barely scratched the surface, but it is all relative of course.
    >
    > Thanks again to all of you true GURUs!

    Umm.. I'm no guru. I struggle with this stuff and barely fumble
    through it. The only advantage I have over you is that I've struggled
    longer. See http://aplawrence.com/wiz.html ("No Wizards Here")

    Bela *is* a guru, though he'll surely deny it.

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

  20. Re: Variable Replacement Question

    Jeff Hyman wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > COMPANY='JOE'S TRUCKING CO. ' <== Problem (3 hyphens in one line)
    > ^=== when using hyphen as part of variable
    > COMPANYx='JOES TRUCKING CO. ' <== Not a problem, theres no hyphen in JOES
    > ADDRESS='123 MAIN ST. '
    >
    > Couple of requirements:
    > 1. The hyphens enclosing the entire variable MUST be used as displayed above.
    > Open/Closed quotation marks cannot be used... single or double.
    > 2. Objective is to change JOE'S ==> JOES as in COMPANYx above
    > WITHOUT modifying the the first and last hyphens.
    >
    > I'm hoping there's a simple solution... but my noodle is cooked.
    >
    > Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    > - Jeff Hyman

    A hyphen is "-", but maybe this does what you want?

    sed "s/\([a-zA-Z]\)'\([a-zA-Z]\)/\1\2/"

    ?