text2pdf - SCO

This is a discussion on text2pdf - SCO ; Hello, I'm trying to use text2pdf but something is missing: /usr/lib/libpdf.so.2 Can anyone tell me what I need to install and where to find it? I've been looking all over SCO Knowledge base and Skunkware files but not having much ...

  1. text2pdf

    Hello,

    I'm trying to use text2pdf but something is missing:
    /usr/lib/libpdf.so.2
    Can anyone tell me what I need to install and where to find it? I've
    been looking all over SCO Knowledge base and Skunkware files but not
    having much luck.

    Cheers.

    Skot

  2. Re: text2pdf

    Skot typed (on Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 08:06:24PM +0000):
    | Hello,
    |
    | I'm trying to use text2pdf but something is missing:
    | /usr/lib/libpdf.so.2
    | Can anyone tell me what I need to install and where to find it? I've
    | been looking all over SCO Knowledge base and Skunkware files but not
    | having much luck.

    Where did you get text2pdf? The library might be at the same place.

    --
    JP

  3. Re: text2pdf

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:

    > Skot typed (on Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 08:06:24PM +0000):
    > | Hello,
    > |
    > | I'm trying to use text2pdf but something is missing:
    > | /usr/lib/libpdf.so.2
    > | Can anyone tell me what I need to install and where to find it? I've
    > | been looking all over SCO Knowledge base and Skunkware files but not
    > | having much luck.
    >
    > Where did you get text2pdf? The library might be at the same place.

    Hi JP,

    It is already on my system. I thought maybe from an ols Skunkware kit,
    but a little bit of digging around the filesystem and it looks as though
    it might be part of gwxlibs, which has fixes in the MP4, from the looks
    of it.

    here is my onlt clue:
    /opt/K/SCO/gwxlibs/1.2.1/usr/lib/libpdf.la
    and the actual file is
    /opt/K/SCO/gwxlibs/1.2.1/usr/bin/text2pdf

    I wanted to build a psudo-printer to send text reports to PDF and did:
    "whence text2pdf" and said, "yeehaw!" only to groan when I got:
    "dynamic linker : text2pdf : could not open /usr/lib/libpdf.so.2"
    ho hum...

    Hopefully the MP4 will fix it.

  4. Re: text2pdf

    On Mon, Dec 05, 2005, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    >Skot typed (on Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 08:06:24PM +0000):
    >| Hello,
    >|
    >| I'm trying to use text2pdf but something is missing:
    >| /usr/lib/libpdf.so.2
    >| Can anyone tell me what I need to install and where to find it? I've
    >| been looking all over SCO Knowledge base and Skunkware files but not
    >| having much luck.
    >
    >Where did you get text2pdf? The library might be at the same place.

    That would surprise me as libpdf.so is part of the pdflib package.
    See http://www.pdflib.com/ for more info.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    ``Anyone who thinks Microsoft never does anything truly innovative isn't
    paying attention to the part of the company that pushes the state of
    its art: Microsoft's legal department.''
    --Ed Foster, InfoWorld Gripe Line columnist

  5. Re: text2pdf

    Skot wrote:

    > Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    >

    >> Where did you get text2pdf? The library might be at the same place.

    > Hi JP,
    >
    > It is already on my system. I thought maybe from an ols Skunkware kit,
    > but a little bit of digging around the filesystem and it looks as though
    > it might be part of gwxlibs, which has fixes in the MP4, from the looks
    > of it.
    >
    > here is my onlt clue:
    > /opt/K/SCO/gwxlibs/1.2.1/usr/lib/libpdf.la
    > and the actual file is
    > /opt/K/SCO/gwxlibs/1.2.1/usr/bin/text2pdf
    >
    > I wanted to build a psudo-printer to send text reports to PDF and did:
    > "whence text2pdf" and said, "yeehaw!" only to groan when I got:
    > "dynamic linker : text2pdf : could not open /usr/lib/libpdf.so.2"
    > ho hum...
    >
    > Hopefully the MP4 will fix it.

    Nice. It didn't fix it, it just removed it completely!

    Almost sounds like a M$ way of fixing things.

    So, now I have a text file, any way to get it to a PDF format?

    I'm looking at text2post, if I can figure out how to use it, maybe I can
    pipe that output to ps2pdf to get where I want to be. But, so far, all
    I can see is: it is some sort of printer filter? Any idea how I can use
    that?

    If I could build a psudo-printer to output PostScript results to a file
    in the user's $HOME I would be more then happy. Anyone have any
    solutions like that?

    Cheers.

  6. Re: text2pdf

    >>> Where did you get text2pdf? The library might be at the same place.

    >> Hi JP,
    >>
    >> It is already on my system. I thought maybe from an ols Skunkware kit,
    >> but a little bit of digging around the filesystem and it looks as though
    >> it might be part of gwxlibs, which has fixes in the MP4, from the looks
    >> of it.
    >>
    >> here is my onlt clue:
    >> /opt/K/SCO/gwxlibs/1.2.1/usr/lib/libpdf.la
    >> and the actual file is
    >> /opt/K/SCO/gwxlibs/1.2.1/usr/bin/text2pdf
    >>
    >> I wanted to build a psudo-printer to send text reports to PDF and did:
    >> "whence text2pdf" and said, "yeehaw!" only to groan when I got:
    >> "dynamic linker : text2pdf : could not open /usr/lib/libpdf.so.2"
    >> ho hum...
    >>
    >> Hopefully the MP4 will fix it.

    > Nice. It didn't fix it, it just removed it completely!
    >
    > Almost sounds like a M$ way of fixing things.
    >
    > So, now I have a text file, any way to get it to a PDF format?

    ghostpcl will take pcl and make it directly into pdf (one step)
    Hint, plain text counts as valid pcl.
    http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/#ghostpcl

    > I'm looking at text2post, if I can figure out how to use it, maybe I can
    > pipe that output to ps2pdf to get where I want to be. But, so far, all I
    > can see is: it is some sort of printer filter? Any idea how I can use
    > that?
    >
    > If I could build a psudo-printer to output PostScript results to a file in
    > the user's $HOME I would be more then happy. Anyone have any solutions
    > like that?

    There is enscript and a2ps that both take text and make postscript.
    Then ghostscript can make pdf.

  7. Re: text2pdf

    Brian K. White wrote:

    > ghostpcl will take pcl and make it directly into pdf (one step)
    > Hint, plain text counts as valid pcl.
    > http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/#ghostpcl

    Thanks Brian,

    That sounds very promising, as most of my reports are output in PCL.

  8. Re: text2pdf