OSR507 on Dell 1850 with Perc 4E - SCO

This is a discussion on OSR507 on Dell 1850 with Perc 4E - SCO ; I'm attempting to install OpenServer 5.0.7 on a Dell 1850 which has the Embedded Perc 4E/SI SCI RAID controller (not my choice). There are two 34 GB disks. Booting the OSR507 CD produces this message: "WARNING: hd: no root disk ...

  1. OSR507 on Dell 1850 with Perc 4E

    I'm attempting to install OpenServer 5.0.7 on a Dell 1850 which has the
    Embedded Perc 4E/SI SCI RAID controller (not my choice). There are two
    34 GB disks.

    Booting the OSR507 CD produces this message:
    "WARNING: hd: no root disk controller was found."

    I've tried various things including ...

    - Using Dell's setup (F2 during early boot) to change the Embedded RAID
    controller from "RAID" to "SCSI" (Boot messages then show first disk at
    HBA=0, ID=0, LUN=0).

    - Downloading the amird 2.25 BTLD and using that. I'm not sure my boot
    string is correct: 'defbootstr link=amird Sdsk=amird(0,2,0,0)'. I did
    try (0,0,0,0). Despite reading the README I don't feel confident in
    these numbers.

    The CHWP suggests that this install is possible. Should I revert to RAID
    and set up a mirror?

    Thanks for any clues you can spare.

  2. Re: OSR507 on Dell 1850 with Perc 4E

    This is purely a guess, but might it be a geometry problem? I
    believe there's some information on troubleshooting (and resolving)
    geometry problems in the FAQ at pcunix.com.
    --
    Stephen M. Dunn

  3. Re: OSR507 on Dell 1850 with Perc 4E

    "RedGrittyBrick" wrote:

    > I'm attempting to install OpenServer 5.0.7 on a Dell 1850 which has the
    > Embedded Perc 4E/SI SCI RAID controller (not my choice). There are two
    > 34 GB disks.
    >
    > Booting the OSR507 CD produces this message:
    > "WARNING: hd: no root disk controller was found."
    >
    > I've tried various things including ...
    >
    > - Using Dell's setup (F2 during early boot) to change the Embedded RAID
    > controller from "RAID" to "SCSI" (Boot messages then show first disk at
    > HBA=0, ID=0, LUN=0).
    >
    > - Downloading the amird 2.25 BTLD and using that. I'm not sure my boot
    > string is correct: 'defbootstr link=amird Sdsk=amird(0,2,0,0)'. I did
    > try (0,0,0,0). Despite reading the README I don't feel confident in
    > these numbers.
    >
    > The CHWP suggests that this install is possible. Should I revert to RAID
    > and set up a mirror?
    >
    > Thanks for any clues you can spare.

    Different generations of Dell Perc controllers are completely different
    inside. Are you sure "amird" is the right HBA vendor driver for your
    generation of Perc?

    The bootstrings you're using are too specific. Boot with:

    Boot
    : defbootstr link=amird

    Go through the driver linking rigmarole. When the kernel boots up, look
    for a "%adapter ... type=amird". If it appears, you have the right
    driver; if it doesn't, it's the wrong driver, try again. Once you've
    successfully probed the controller then you can start worrying about
    "Sdsk=" boot arguments (though you shouldn't generally need one at all).

    According to the thread around:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....43c2f38cf9846f

    "SCO are working with LSI to release a new version of the amird driver
    that will include support for the Dell PERC 4e. I dont have an date for
    availability at this time." -- posted 2004-12-15. So it looks like
    "amird" is the right name, but you'll need a version issued within the
    last 11 months. The article also says "Customer will need to contact
    their DELL sales rep. to obtain the required driver for this
    controller." -- you might have to follow that procedure (and good luck
    finding one that can spell "SCO" or even "PERC"...)

    >Bela<

  4. Re: OSR507 on Dell 1850 with Perc 4E

    Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > "RedGrittyBrick" wrote:
    >

    >>I'm attempting to install OpenServer 5.0.7 on a Dell 1850 which has the
    >>Embedded Perc 4E/SI SCI RAID controller (not my choice). There are two
    >>34 GB disks.
    >>
    >>Booting the OSR507 CD produces this message:
    >>"WARNING: hd: no root disk controller was found."
    >>
    >>I've tried various things including ...
    >>
    >>- Using Dell's setup (F2 during early boot) to change the Embedded RAID
    >>controller from "RAID" to "SCSI" (Boot messages then show first disk at
    >>HBA=0, ID=0, LUN=0).
    >>
    >>- Downloading the amird 2.25 BTLD and using that. I'm not sure my boot
    >>string is correct: 'defbootstr link=amird Sdsk=amird(0,2,0,0)'. I did
    >>try (0,0,0,0). Despite reading the README I don't feel confident in
    >>these numbers.
    >>
    >>The CHWP suggests that this install is possible. Should I revert to RAID
    >>and set up a mirror?
    >>
    >>Thanks for any clues you can spare.

    > Different generations of Dell Perc controllers are completely different
    > inside. Are you sure "amird" is the right HBA vendor driver for your
    > generation of Perc?

    I'm pretty sure, based on
    http://wdb1.sco.com/chwp/owa/hch_mod...release_id=378
    which says:

    Certified on Openserver 5.0.6A and 5.0.7 using
    the PERC4E/SI controller. 5.0.7MP3 was installed
    for the certification of Openserver 5.0.7

    Please read the README and Release Notes for the
    2.25 version of the amird driver. Take special no
    te of the bootstring required to load the driver.

    There has been an issue with the Dell provided
    cdrw's on this machine. To make sure you don't have
    a problem with this please make sure your Dell
    server is configured with a stock CD drive for
    installation.

    Peripherals:
    CDROM: - CD3010A
    Network: Intel Pro/1000
    Graphics: ATI Mach64 GT (264GT) aka 3D RAGE internal RAMDAC Radeon
    HBA: AMIRD 2.25

    > The bootstrings you're using are too specific. Boot with:
    >
    > Boot
    > : defbootstr link=amird

    Thanks, I've just tried that (see below).

    > Go through the driver linking rigmarole. When the kernel boots up, look
    > for a "%adapter ... type=amird". If it appears, you have the right
    > driver;

    It doesn't ask for any info but there are messages about the driver.o
    being loaded etc. I guess this is the driver linking rigamarole.

    Amongst the usual boot messages are

    %adapter - 11 - type=amird ha=0 id=7
    %tape - - - type=S ha=0 id=2 lun=0 bus=0 ht=amird unit=0
    %cd-rom - - - type=S ha=0 id=5 lun=0 bus=0 ht=amird unit=0

    This machine doesn't have SCSI tape or CD so I'm assuming these are just
    default values for such devices, which I can ignore.

    (If I ignore the fact it can't see the HD and proceed with the install,
    the installer is able to read the SCO CD in the IDE CD-ROM. Which I take
    to be a good sign concerning CD-ROM drivers. Obviously the install
    doesn't get much beyond that before it complains that there is no HD :-)

    > if it doesn't, it's the wrong driver, try again. Once you've
    > successfully probed the controller then you can start worrying about
    > "Sdsk=" boot arguments (though you shouldn't generally need one at all).

    I'm now getting:

    NOTICE: Sdsk: Spurious interrupt
    WARNING: hd: no root disk controller was found

    Which the amird225 README mentions ...

    New Installation
    ----------------

    Insert a boot disk or installation CD and boot the system.
    At the boot prompt, for a dual channel controller, you MUST type:

    boot
    : defbootstr link="amird" Sdsk=amird(0,2,0,0)

    where Sdsk=amird(HA, BUS, ID, LUN). This is because you are
    installing on the first logical drive, which (as described above)
    is mapped to a (bus, id, lun) value of (2, 0, 0).

    For single channel controller such as a 320-1, you would type:

    boot
    : defbootstr link="amird" Sdsk=amird(0,1,0,0)

    If you fail to type the Sdsk=amird(0,n,0,0), the installation will
    fail and you will get this error message when the hardware
    configuration is listed:

    %adapter - 5 - type=amird ha=0 id=7
    NOTICE: Sdsk: Spurious interrupt
    WARNING: hd: no root disk controller was found
    hd: a Boot-Time Loadable Driver may be required

    It looks like I do need to work out the appropriate Sdsk arguments. I'm
    not sure how to derive the correct values (other than by trial and
    error). The README's "as described above" isn't well enough described
    for me to make any sense of it. This machine has a default setup of two
    ~35 GB drives striped into a ~69 GB logical volume (but see my footnote).

    > According to the thread around:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....43c2f38cf9846f
    >
    > "SCO are working with LSI to release a new version of the amird driver
    > that will include support for the Dell PERC 4e. I dont have an date for
    > availability at this time." -- posted 2004-12-15. So it looks like
    > "amird" is the right name, but you'll need a version issued within the
    > last 11 months. The article also says "Customer will need to contact
    > their DELL sales rep. to obtain the required driver for this
    > controller." -- you might have to follow that procedure (and good luck
    > finding one that can spell "SCO" or even "PERC"...)

    I saw that (sorry I should have mentioned that), and downloaded amird
    2.25 dated Feb 2005 from
    ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/507/drivers/amird225
    I built a BTLD floppy from that by following the README.

    The README doesn't mention the Perc 4e/Si but the CHWP page does.

    Footnote:

    I'm not especially keen on RAID for this application. I don't really
    like striping either (1/2 the reliability of plain disks, 1/4 the
    reliabity of mirroring?). If I go into the Dell BIOS I can set the RAID
    controller from "RAID" mode to "SCSI" mode, whereupon boot messages
    suggest it emulates a non-RAID SCSI controller "LSILogic 1020/1030".
    Maybe if all else fails I can try finding an "lsil" BTLD?

  5. Re: OSR507 on Dell 1850 with Perc 4E

    Omitted context:
    Installation from CD fizzles out due to

    Stephen M. Dunn wrote:
    > This is purely a guess, but might it be a geometry problem? I
    > believe there's some information on troubleshooting (and resolving)
    > geometry problems in the FAQ at pcunix.com.

    Thanks Stephen, Having read that section, I think my current problem is
    more with getting the driver to address the SCSI controller and logical
    drive.

    Thanks though, I appreciate all the clues I can get. I'll keep it in
    mind whilst I work on this.

  6. Re: OSR507 on Dell 1850 with Perc 4E

    RedGrittyBrick wrote:
    > Bela Lubkin wrote:
    >
    >> "RedGrittyBrick" wrote:
    >>

    >>> I'm attempting to install OpenServer 5.0.7 on a Dell 1850 which has
    >>> the Embedded Perc 4E/SI SCI RAID controller (not my choice). There
    >>> are two 34 GB disks.
    >>>
    >>> Booting the OSR507 CD produces this message:
    >>> "WARNING: hd: no root disk controller was found."

    Having more carefully read the amird 2.25 README, and having discovered
    the PERC 4e/Si is a *single* channel device I tried:
    Boot
    : defbootstr link="amird" Sdsk=amird(0,1,0,0)
    (I thought I'd tried this before but probably had finger trouble)

    Which seems to be working. The boot messages now include:
    %disk - - - type=S ha=0 id=1 lun=0 bus=1 ht=amird unit=0
    %Sdsk - - - cyls=8842 hds=255 secs=63 unit=0 fts=sdb
    %Sdsk-0 - - - Vnd=MEGA 1 Prd=LOGICAL DRIVE 0 Rev=

    The installation is proceeding normally ...
    .... and it eventually booted from the HD OK. Woohoo!

    Many thanks!

  7. Re: OSR507 on Dell 1850 with Perc 4E

    >> I'm attempting to install OpenServer 5.0.7 on a Dell 1850 which has the
    >> Embedded Perc 4E/SI SCI RAID controller (not my choice). There are two
    >> 34 GB disks.
    >>
    >> Booting the OSR507 CD produces this message:
    >> "WARNING: hd: no root disk controller was found."
    >>
    >> I've tried various things including ...
    >>
    >> - Using Dell's setup (F2 during early boot) to change the Embedded RAID
    >> controller from "RAID" to "SCSI" (Boot messages then show first disk at
    >> HBA=0, ID=0, LUN=0).
    >>
    >> - Downloading the amird 2.25 BTLD and using that. I'm not sure my boot
    >> string is correct: 'defbootstr link=amird Sdsk=amird(0,2,0,0)'. I did
    >> try (0,0,0,0). Despite reading the README I don't feel confident in
    >> these numbers.
    >>
    >> The CHWP suggests that this install is possible. Should I revert to RAID
    >> and set up a mirror?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any clues you can spare.

    > Different generations of Dell Perc controllers are completely different
    > inside. Are you sure "amird" is the right HBA vendor driver for your
    > generation of Perc?
    >
    > The bootstrings you're using are too specific. Boot with:
    >
    > Boot
    > : defbootstr link=amird
    >
    > Go through the driver linking rigmarole. When the kernel boots up, look
    > for a "%adapter ... type=amird". If it appears, you have the right
    > driver; if it doesn't, it's the wrong driver, try again. Once you've
    > successfully probed the controller then you can start worrying about
    > "Sdsk=" boot arguments (though you shouldn't generally need one at all).
    >
    > According to the thread around:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....43c2f38cf9846f
    >
    > "SCO are working with LSI to release a new version of the amird driver
    > that will include support for the Dell PERC 4e. I dont have an date for
    > availability at this time." -- posted 2004-12-15. So it looks like
    > "amird" is the right name, but you'll need a version issued within the
    > last 11 months. The article also says "Customer will need to contact
    > their DELL sales rep. to obtain the required driver for this
    > controller." -- you might have to follow that procedure (and good luck
    > finding one that can spell "SCO" or even "PERC"...)
    >
    >>Bela<

    I have installed several boxes with LSI megaraid 320-* raid cards that use
    the amird driver, including just the other day.
    And the directions for 2.25 version of that driver are clear and correct,
    that even for ISL you need link=amird Sdsk=amird(0,2,0,0)
    Tht's IF you have a two-channel card with one logical drive at scsi id 0.

    The 2 isn't really "the number of channels", it's a virtual channel that's N
    higher than the number of real channels.
    The virtual channel starts at real_channels+1, and for every 16 logical
    drives the virtual channel bumps up by one and the target id resets to 0.
    Note that the target id's and the channels count from 0. So a 2 channl card
    has real busses 0 & 1, so the first logical drive is target id 0 on bus 2.
    I guess it could be expressed like this:
    id = logical_drive % 16
    bus = real_busses + (logical_drive - id) / 16

    And you plug the resulting id and bus into Sdsk=amird(ha,bus,id,lun)
    ISL doesn't figure this out on it's own.

    The readme
    ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/50....25_readme.txt
    explains it all pretty clearly and has a full table of all possibilities for
    a 2-channel card and some more examples for cards with fewer/more chsnnels.

    Note that the manufacturers web site is out of date. They only list the 2.24
    driver and there were some changes to the driver where you really want to
    make sure you have 2.25
    The sco ftp site has the current version and the readme attached to that is
    correct.
    ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/507/drivers/amird225/
    2.24 or possibly the version before that had incomplete implimentations of
    the virtual bus scheme and incorrect directions that didn't mention anything
    unusual, and the driver didn't work like any other driver nor did it work
    like they intended. Before that (2.14) the driver worked like other drivers
    where the first array on the first channel was 0,0,0,0 and isl found it
    itself.

  8. Re: OSR507 on Dell 1850 with Perc 4E

    Brian K. White wrote:
> [...]

    Just to recap: I agree I could have avoided problems by
    * Not worrying so much about problems thrown up by googling for Perc.
    * Reading the amird 2.25 README *thoroughly* before ploughing ahead.
    * Finding out the Perc 4E/SI is a *single* channel controller.
    * More careful typing of boot strings.

    Since I detect an LSI megaraid expert, would you mind a few
    supplementary Q's?
    Do you use mirroring on any of your LSI megaraid 320-* systems?
    If so does amirdmon make it really really clear when a drive has failed?
    Does it continue to do so until the drive is fixed?
    Can I test this by hot-unplugging? (must check Dell spec first).
    Are the reports of amirdmon possibly slowing down servers now baseless?

    Many thanks for the helpful advice Brian.

+ Reply to Thread