OSR 5.0.7 MP4 Link Failure - SCO

This is a discussion on OSR 5.0.7 MP4 Link Failure - SCO ; I'm attempting to install MP4 on a 5.0.7 system with MP3/UP3 installed, but get the following error when it attempts to re-link: undefined first referenced symbol in file stack_growth_threshold /var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/conf/pack.d/kernel/os.a i386ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to unix ...

  1. OSR 5.0.7 MP4 Link Failure

    I'm attempting to install MP4 on a 5.0.7 system with MP3/UP3 installed, but
    get the following error when it attempts to re-link:

    undefined first referenced
    symbol in file
    stack_growth_threshold
    /var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/conf/pack.d/kernel/os.a
    i386ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to unix
    ERROR: Can not link-edit unix

    Any ideas?

    --
    Richard Seeder

  2. Re: OSR 5.0.7 MP4 Link Failure

    "Richard" wrote in message
    > I'm attempting to install MP4 on a 5.0.7 system with MP3/UP3 installed, but get the
    > following error when it attempts to re-link:
    >
    > undefined first referenced
    > symbol in file
    > stack_growth_threshold /var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/conf/pack.d/kernel/os.a
    > i386ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to unix
    > ERROR: Can not link-edit unix
    >
    > Any ideas?

    The only references I can find to stack_growth_threshold are in
    /etc/conf/pack.d/kernel/space.c and os.a

    grep -n stack_growth space.c

    901:* If stack_growth_threshold is 0, references to stack addresses more
    906:* Setting stack_growth_threshold to a value greater than zero will
    907:* result in references to at least stack_growth_threshold bytes below
    914:int stack_growth_threshold = 0x4000;

    What do you get?

    Bob

  3. Re: OSR 5.0.7 MP4 Link Failure

    "Bob Bailin" <72027.3605@compuserve.com> wrote in message
    news:aIqgf.1043$Ba6.530@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com ...

    > "Richard" wrote in message
    >> I'm attempting to install MP4 on a 5.0.7 system with MP3/UP3 installed,
    >> but get the following error when it attempts to re-link:
    >>
    >> undefined first referenced
    >> symbol in file
    >> stack_growth_threshold
    >> /var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/conf/pack.d/kernel/os.a
    >> i386ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to unix
    >> ERROR: Can not link-edit unix
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > The only references I can find to stack_growth_threshold are in
    > /etc/conf/pack.d/kernel/space.c and os.a
    >
    > grep -n stack_growth space.c
    >
    > 901:* If stack_growth_threshold is 0, references to stack addresses more
    > 906:* Setting stack_growth_threshold to a value greater than zero will
    > 907:* result in references to at least stack_growth_threshold bytes below
    > 914:int stack_growth_threshold = 0x4000;
    >
    > What do you get?
    >
    > Bob

    It didn't appear in space.c, which, of course, was the problem. The real
    questions is, I guess, why not? The space.c file appeared to have been
    updated by the mp4 install. Did you download mp4, or get it through update?

    --
    Richard Seeder

  4. Re: OSR 5.0.7 MP4 Link Failure

    "Richard" wrote in message
    > "Bob Bailin" <72027.3605@compuserve.com> wrote in message
    > news:aIqgf.1043$Ba6.530@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com ...
    > >
    > > "Richard" wrote in message
    > >> I'm attempting to install MP4 on a 5.0.7 system with MP3/UP3 installed,
    > >> but get the following error when it attempts to re-link:
    > >>
    > >> undefined first referenced
    > >> symbol in file
    > >> stack_growth_threshold
    > >> /var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/conf/pack.d/kernel/os.a
    > >> i386ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to unix
    > >> ERROR: Can not link-edit unix
    > >>
    > >> Any ideas?

    > > The only references I can find to stack_growth_threshold are in
    > > /etc/conf/pack.d/kernel/space.c and os.a
    > >
    > > grep -n stack_growth space.c
    > >
    > > 901:* If stack_growth_threshold is 0, references to stack addresses more
    > > 906:* Setting stack_growth_threshold to a value greater than zero will
    > > 907:* result in references to at least stack_growth_threshold bytes

    below
    > > 914:int stack_growth_threshold = 0x4000;
    > >
    > > What do you get?
    > >
    > > Bob
    > >

    > It didn't appear in space.c, which, of course, was the problem. The real
    > questions is, I guess, why not? The space.c file appeared to have been
    > updated by the mp4 install. Did you download mp4, or get it through

    update?

    I downloaded it as a tar archive from ftp.sco.com, for what it's worth.
    I would try uninstalling MP4, and then reinstalling it immediately. Perhaps
    it will "take" better on the 2nd try.

    Bob

  5. Re: OSR 5.0.7 MP4 Link Failure

    "Bob Bailin" <72027.3605@compuserve.com> wrote in message
    news:Jmxgf.886$Zb2.696@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net. ..

    > "Richard" wrote in message
    >> "Bob Bailin" <72027.3605@compuserve.com> wrote in message
    >> news:aIqgf.1043$Ba6.530@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com ...
    >> >
    >> > "Richard" wrote in message

    >> > The only references I can find to stack_growth_threshold are in
    >> > /etc/conf/pack.d/kernel/space.c and os.a
    >> >
    >> > grep -n stack_growth space.c
    >> >
    >> > 901:* If stack_growth_threshold is 0, references to stack addresses
    >> > more
    >> > 906:* Setting stack_growth_threshold to a value greater than zero will
    >> > 907:* result in references to at least stack_growth_threshold bytes

    > below
    >> > 914:int stack_growth_threshold = 0x4000;
    >> >
    >> > What do you get?
    >> >
    >> > Bob
    >> >

    >> It didn't appear in space.c, which, of course, was the problem. The real
    >> questions is, I guess, why not? The space.c file appeared to have been
    >> updated by the mp4 install. Did you download mp4, or get it through

    > update?
    >
    > I downloaded it as a tar archive from ftp.sco.com, for what it's worth.
    > I would try uninstalling MP4, and then reinstalling it immediately.
    > Perhaps
    > it will "take" better on the 2nd try.
    >
    > Bob

    Apparently "stack_growth" was a previous patch to the space.c file that
    somehow got lost prior to applying MP4. I compared it to another 5.0.7 MP3
    system, added it back in manually, and then linked without incident. Very
    strange, but all is well now. Thanks, Bob.

    --
    Richard Seeder

  6. Re: OSR 5.0.7 MP4 Link Failure

    See SCO TA# 126252. It fixes the problem. The remove and reinstall does not work.

+ Reply to Thread