Adaptec 2940 UW and OSR 5.0.7 - SCO

This is a discussion on Adaptec 2940 UW and OSR 5.0.7 - SCO ; Just took a quick look at the SCO compatibility page for OSR 5.0.7 and my favorite 2940 isn't listed. Does that mean I should get a different SCSI controller before upgrading? I've been running all prior versions on that card ...

  1. Adaptec 2940 UW and OSR 5.0.7

    Just took a quick look at the SCO compatibility page for OSR 5.0.7 and my
    favorite 2940 isn't listed. Does that mean I should get a different SCSI
    controller before upgrading?

    I've been running all prior versions on that card and never saw a problem.

    Thanks,

    DAW

  2. Re: Adaptec 2940 UW and OSR 5.0.7

    SDS typed (on Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 12:18:43AM +0000):
    | Just took a quick look at the SCO compatibility page for OSR 5.0.7 and my
    | favorite 2940 isn't listed. Does that mean I should get a different SCSI
    | controller before upgrading?
    |
    | I've been running all prior versions on that card and never saw a problem.

    Which 2940 do you have that isn't listed?

    --
    JP

  3. Re: Adaptec 2940 UW and OSR 5.0.7

    One more comment. The client has a MSI 865GVM2-LS Motherboard running a 2.8
    GHZ FSB P4. That's not in the SCO list either as far as I can tell.

    "SDS" wrote in message
    news%Pef.87$rM2.20@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    > Just took a quick look at the SCO compatibility page for OSR 5.0.7 and my
    > favorite 2940 isn't listed. Does that mean I should get a different SCSI
    > controller before upgrading?
    >
    > I've been running all prior versions on that card and never saw a problem.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > DAW

  4. Re: Adaptec 2940 UW and OSR 5.0.7

    SDS typed (on Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 12:58:16AM +0000):
    | "SDS" wrote in message
    | news%Pef.87$rM2.20@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    | > Just took a quick look at the SCO compatibility page for OSR 5.0.7 and my
    | > favorite 2940 isn't listed. Does that mean I should get a different SCSI
    | > controller before upgrading?
    | >
    | > I've been running all prior versions on that card and never saw a problem.
    | >
    | One more comment. The client has a MSI 865GVM2-LS Motherboard running a 2.8
    | GHZ FSB P4. That's not in the SCO list either as far as I can tell.

    Ah, then which motherboard(s) do you see on the SCO list(s)?

    --
    JP

  5. Re: Adaptec 2940 UW and OSR 5.0.7

    See comments at bottom.

    "Jean-Pierre Radley" wrote in message
    > SDS typed (on Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 12:58:16AM +0000):
    > | "SDS" wrote in message
    > | news%Pef.87$rM2.20@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    > | > Just took a quick look at the SCO compatibility page for OSR 5.0.7 and
    > my
    > | > favorite 2940 isn't listed. Does that mean I should get a different
    > SCSI
    > | > controller before upgrading?
    > | >
    > | > I've been running all prior versions on that card and never saw a
    > problem.
    > | >
    > | One more comment. The client has a MSI 865GVM2-LS Motherboard running a
    > 2.8
    > | GHZ FSB P4. That's not in the SCO list either as far as I can tell.
    >
    > Ah, then which motherboard(s) do you see on the SCO list(s)?
    >
    > --
    > JP

    Thanks JP,

    When I looked at the SCO list for Adaptec Controllers I didn't find the
    2940W/UW listed for OSR 5.0.7, and I think not even for 5.0.6, although it
    runs well on my system. What I didn't do was make a comparison based on the
    chip used by various controllers. [I think my own controller is technically
    a 2940UW, the pamphlet for it describes two 2940's, I think a W and an UW,
    i.e. AHA2940W/UW.]

    And about the motherboards, I don't think I saw any listed, just complete
    systems. That comment was a slip of the keyboard on my part, sorry. I have
    some recollection of SCO listing motherboards in the distant past but I
    think the numbers are so high they may not do that anymore.

    I can see the reason why, there are probably 10,000 P2,P3, and P4 mother
    boards on the market and they can't test them all, and end users don't
    really have time to send in their recommendations. Maybe some major vendors
    do, I don't know.

    The motherboard described above is one purchased by a client I'm doing a
    data recovery for after a system board crash.

    My own mother board is an Intel D845PEBT2 and it had a serious problem when
    I upgraded from OSR 5.0.5 to 5.0.6. It didn't recognize the video system
    and there was no display. A very nice person wrote a patch to type in
    blind, based on the bootup beeps, and it worked, simply forcing OSR 5.0.6 to
    report a CGA card. I think that patch was incorporated in subsequent
    releases.

    DAW

+ Reply to Thread