OpenServer 5.0.5 install says no hd - SCO

This is a discussion on OpenServer 5.0.5 install says no hd - SCO ; Hello, I tried to reinstall OSR 5.0.5 on a SCSI system Configuration: ID7 - Adaptec 2940 ID6 - Hard Disk (should be used) ID4 - CD-ROM the system boots from cd-rom and recognizes hba (alad) Strange - after some screens ...

  1. OpenServer 5.0.5 install says no hd

    Hello,

    I tried to reinstall OSR 5.0.5 on a SCSI system

    Configuration:
    ID7 - Adaptec 2940
    ID6 - Hard Disk (should be used)
    ID4 - CD-ROM

    the system boots from cd-rom and recognizes hba (alad)
    Strange - after some screens the procedure stops with no hd found.

    Andreas Kohl

  2. Re: OpenServer 5.0.5 install says no hd

    "Andreas Kohl" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I tried to reinstall OSR 5.0.5 on a SCSI system
    >
    > Configuration:
    > ID7 - Adaptec 2940
    > ID6 - Hard Disk (should be used)

    Why? Change it to the more common ID0 and try again.
    (Is this an IBM system?)

    > ID4 - CD-ROM
    >
    > the system boots from cd-rom and recognizes hba (alad)
    > Strange - after some screens the procedure stops with no hd found.

    Bob

  3. Re: OpenServer 5.0.5 install says no hd

    Hi,

    boot: defbootstr Sdsk=alad(0,0,6,0) Srom=alad(0,0,4,0)

    It would be better change hd's scsi id to zero, but if you can't (why
    not ?) I guess that boot command line above you do it.

    Best Regards, Helio.

  4. Re: OpenServer 5.0.5 install says no hd

    denovo@bignet.com.br schrieb:
    > Hi,
    >
    > boot: defbootstr Sdsk=alad(0,0,6,0) Srom=alad(0,0,4,0)

    Thanks, that works.

    > It would be better change hd's scsi id to zero, but if you can't (why
    > not ?) I guess that boot command line above you do it.

    Why should I change? In IBM machines usually ID6 should be the first
    hard disk conforming to the scsi standards. I know that Adaptec & co.
    could handle things some different.

    Andreas Kohl

  5. Re: OpenServer 5.0.5 install says no hd

    In article <1132153057.336840.194150@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >Hi,

    >boot: defbootstr Sdsk=alad(0,0,6,0) Srom=alad(0,0,4,0)

    >It would be better change hd's scsi id to zero, but if you can't (why
    >not ?) I guess that boot command line above you do it.

    >Best Regards, Helio.

    No reason to change the ID to 0 if you use the boot string.

    I used to run at ID1 on a system where I'd disable the first drive by a
    switch on the SCSI tray. That way I could dual boot. With the SCO
    on ID1.

    You just have to remember to set up a bootstring properly, and
    since the OS knows that bootstring you can't change the ID once you
    set it.

    By that I mean if you ever move the ID to 0 you will get part way
    through the boot and then it won't be able to find the drive.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  6. Re: OpenServer 5.0.5 install says no hd

    In article ,
    Andreas Kohl wrote:
    >denovo@bignet.com.br schrieb:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> boot: defbootstr Sdsk=alad(0,0,6,0) Srom=alad(0,0,4,0)
    >>

    >Thanks, that works.
    >
    >> It would be better change hd's scsi id to zero, but if you can't (why
    >> not ?) I guess that boot command line above you do it.
    >>

    >Why should I change? In IBM machines usually ID6 should be the first
    >hard disk conforming to the scsi standards. I know that Adaptec & co.
    >could handle things some different.

    >Andreas Kohl

    The original SCSI specs assume that the first HD would be at ID 6
    since it's second in priority only to ID 7, the adapter ID.

    The HD at 0 came from the days of the PC so manufacturers continued
    with the method. The IBM is the only company I've noticed that
    rigily adheres to specifications. It may make some things seem
    strange when compared to other systems - but they do it the right
    way.

    You'll notice the difference in the serial connectors depending on
    the fucntion. Training manuals such as those old Novell Netware
    manuals indicated that IBM did it wrong. I always thought it was
    bad to have to give a wrong answer to pass a test. But that seems
    to be the way of the world in this day and age.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  7. Re: OpenServer 5.0.5 install says no hd Reply-To: scomsc@xenitec.on.ca

    Andreas Kohl enscribed:
    | denovo@bignet.com.br schrieb:
    | > Hi,
    | >
    | > boot: defbootstr Sdsk=alad(0,0,6,0) Srom=alad(0,0,4,0)
    | >

    | Thanks, that works.
    |
    | > It would be better change hd's scsi id to zero, but if you can't (why
    | > not ?) I guess that boot command line above you do it.
    | >
    | Why should I change? In IBM machines usually ID6 should be the first
    | hard disk conforming to the scsi standards. I know that Adaptec & co.
    | could handle things some different.

    Why such a definitive statement? I've a number of IBM servers installed
    and all of the default to SCSI ID 0.

    Tom Parsons tom@tegan.com