No Boot Drive!!! - SCO

This is a discussion on No Boot Drive!!! - SCO ; I think I may be regressing with age, but failed all day to install OSR 5.0.7 on a new P4 system using a brand new drive and an older Adaptec SCSI card. (A Combo card with a video port, disabled). ...

  1. No Boot Drive!!!

    I think I may be regressing with age, but failed all day to install OSR
    5.0.7 on a new P4 system using a brand new drive and an older Adaptec SCSI
    card. (A Combo card with a video port, disabled).

    The objective is to get a brand new drive running in this new system and
    then try to recover data from a corrupted drive.

    The installation goes just fine, most of the time, and generally gets past
    the "alad" init process, actually identifying the drive with it's SCSI
    address (0), and the model number and configuration (cyls=4600, hds=64,
    secs=32, unit=0, FTS=STBD).

    Continuing, I get through the interactive divvy and all the other usual
    setup parameters. OSR 5.0.7 loads as it should from the CD and at the same
    time loads some updates, so far everything is fine.

    When reboot time comes, the system reports "No Boot Drive".

    I couldn't find the card on the Adaptec site.

    I did find what may be an appropriate boot time loader for the chip on the
    Adaptec Combo Card, which has a chip labled AIC-7880P. Although I didn't
    find that specific card on the Adaptec website but I did find some loaders
    for the 7800 series of chips, and some familiar names associated with it,
    i.e. 2940, 2994, and 3940, so I figure I might as well try to link in the
    file it creates on a floppy.

    The file name is fms303d3. When the time comes to load that file, it's not
    found on the floppy where create.bat placed the image. I tried both upper
    and lower case for the link file name, but that file was never found.
    Actually I'm not sure it's necessary because I haven't had to do that
    before.

    In any case, the install runs just fine, (apparently) and OSR 5.0.7 seems
    smart enough to identify the card, at least during installation.

    Topping all this off, during each subsequent re-install, the system
    remembered most of the install settings, such as the time zone, system name,
    divvy settings, etc., so the install must have done something.

    Why doesn't it find it when I reboot?

    Thanks,

    Just call me stupid. Those who know me know my email address if you want to
    call me stupid privately.

    DAW

  2. Re: No Boot Drive!!!

    One thing I omitted from this posting.

    The SCSI Card never presents the SCSISelect option, it's completely
    invisible during boot. It should present itself so that one can define the
    boot drive. I don't know how permenant the SCSI setup is but the old drive
    (to be recovered from) was addressed as device 1 and the new drive which is
    being installed is set to address 0. This might just be the problem.

    DAW

    "SDS" wrote in message
    news:ccvef.1880$s14.32@newsread2.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
    >I think I may be regressing with age, but failed all day to install OSR
    >5.0.7 on a new P4 system using a brand new drive and an older Adaptec SCSI
    >card. (A Combo card with a video port, disabled).
    >
    > The objective is to get a brand new drive running in this new system and
    > then try to recover data from a corrupted drive.
    >
    > The installation goes just fine, most of the time, and generally gets past
    > the "alad" init process, actually identifying the drive with it's SCSI
    > address (0), and the model number and configuration (cyls=4600, hds=64,
    > secs=32, unit=0, FTS=STBD).
    >
    > Continuing, I get through the interactive divvy and all the other usual
    > setup parameters. OSR 5.0.7 loads as it should from the CD and at the
    > same time loads some updates, so far everything is fine.
    >
    > When reboot time comes, the system reports "No Boot Drive".
    >
    > I couldn't find the card on the Adaptec site.
    >
    > I did find what may be an appropriate boot time loader for the chip on the
    > Adaptec Combo Card, which has a chip labled AIC-7880P. Although I didn't
    > find that specific card on the Adaptec website but I did find some loaders
    > for the 7800 series of chips, and some familiar names associated with it,
    > i.e. 2940, 2994, and 3940, so I figure I might as well try to link in the
    > file it creates on a floppy.
    >
    > The file name is fms303d3. When the time comes to load that file, it's
    > not found on the floppy where create.bat placed the image. I tried both
    > upper and lower case for the link file name, but that file was never
    > found. Actually I'm not sure it's necessary because I haven't had to do
    > that before.
    >
    > In any case, the install runs just fine, (apparently) and OSR 5.0.7 seems
    > smart enough to identify the card, at least during installation.
    >
    > Topping all this off, during each subsequent re-install, the system
    > remembered most of the install settings, such as the time zone, system
    > name, divvy settings, etc., so the install must have done something.
    >
    > Why doesn't it find it when I reboot?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Just call me stupid. Those who know me know my email address if you want
    > to call me stupid privately.
    >
    > DAW

  3. Re: No Boot Drive!!!

    Still can't see any sign of any SCSI card intercept when booting. It's an
    old Combo card not found on the Adaptec site, even though it does have an
    AIC-7880P chip on it, which seems to be used a lot in the AHA-2900 series of
    adapters. (More specifically, Adaptec seems to refer to them as using the
    7800 series of chips)

    I can now see that the defective drive was set to address 1 so it's possible
    that the card is looking there for the boot device.

    Would it make sense to change the new drive to address 1 and see if it is
    recognized as a boot device? Maybe the card remembers that.

    If that works I can then re-address the defective drive (the one to be
    recovered from) to some other address, matters not, other than the tape is
    at 2 and the card is at 7.

    DAW

  4. Re: No Boot Drive!!!

    "SDS" wrote in message
    news:qzwef.1912$s14.27@newsread2.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
    > One thing I omitted from this posting.
    >
    > The SCSI Card never presents the SCSISelect option, it's completely
    > invisible during boot. It should present itself so that one can define

    the
    > boot drive. I don't know how permenant the SCSI setup is but the old

    drive
    > (to be recovered from) was addressed as device 1 and the new drive which

    is
    > being installed is set to address 0. This might just be the problem.
    >
    > DAW

    Sounds like a SCSI card that lacks a BIOS. These were useful for
    non-hard disk SCSI devices such as tape drives and scanners. Is
    this a PCI card or something more ancient?

    Before discarding the card, try hitting Ctrl-A (repeatedly) during the boot
    process to see if you can call up the SCSI setup utility on the card
    (there's usually an option to hide the Ctrl-A prompt). And lastly, check
    the card for any jumpers that might be used to enable/disable the BIOS
    (or set its I/O BIOS address).

    If these all fail, go out and buy a "real" SCSI adapter, preferably one
    with a bit more documentation.

    Bob

    > "SDS" wrote in message
    > news:ccvef.1880$s14.32@newsread2.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
    > >I think I may be regressing with age, but failed all day to install OSR
    > >5.0.7 on a new P4 system using a brand new drive and an older Adaptec

    SCSI
    > >card. (A Combo card with a video port, disabled).
    > >
    > > The objective is to get a brand new drive running in this new system and
    > > then try to recover data from a corrupted drive.
    > >
    > > The installation goes just fine, most of the time, and generally gets

    past
    > > the "alad" init process, actually identifying the drive with it's SCSI
    > > address (0), and the model number and configuration (cyls=4600, hds=64,
    > > secs=32, unit=0, FTS=STBD).
    > >
    > > Continuing, I get through the interactive divvy and all the other usual
    > > setup parameters. OSR 5.0.7 loads as it should from the CD and at the
    > > same time loads some updates, so far everything is fine.
    > >
    > > When reboot time comes, the system reports "No Boot Drive".
    > >
    > > I couldn't find the card on the Adaptec site.
    > >
    > > I did find what may be an appropriate boot time loader for the chip on

    the
    > > Adaptec Combo Card, which has a chip labled AIC-7880P. Although I

    didn't
    > > find that specific card on the Adaptec website but I did find some

    loaders
    > > for the 7800 series of chips, and some familiar names associated with

    it,
    > > i.e. 2940, 2994, and 3940, so I figure I might as well try to link in

    the
    > > file it creates on a floppy.
    > >
    > > The file name is fms303d3. When the time comes to load that file, it's
    > > not found on the floppy where create.bat placed the image. I tried both
    > > upper and lower case for the link file name, but that file was never
    > > found. Actually I'm not sure it's necessary because I haven't had to do
    > > that before.
    > >
    > > In any case, the install runs just fine, (apparently) and OSR 5.0.7

    seems
    > > smart enough to identify the card, at least during installation.
    > >
    > > Topping all this off, during each subsequent re-install, the system
    > > remembered most of the install settings, such as the time zone, system
    > > name, divvy settings, etc., so the install must have done something.
    > >
    > > Why doesn't it find it when I reboot?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Just call me stupid. Those who know me know my email address if you

    want
    > > to call me stupid privately.

  5. Re: No Boot Drive!!!

    "SDS" wrote in message
    news:WWxef.1188$jI5.716@newsread1.news.pas.earthli nk.net...
    > Still can't see any sign of any SCSI card intercept when booting. It's an
    > old Combo card not found on the Adaptec site, even though it does have an
    > AIC-7880P chip on it, which seems to be used a lot in the AHA-2900 series

    of
    > adapters. (More specifically, Adaptec seems to refer to them as using the
    > 7800 series of chips)
    >
    > I can now see that the defective drive was set to address 1 so it's

    possible
    > that the card is looking there for the boot device.
    >
    > Would it make sense to change the new drive to address 1 and see if it is
    > recognized as a boot device? Maybe the card remembers that.
    >
    > If that works I can then re-address the defective drive (the one to be
    > recovered from) to some other address, matters not, other than the tape is
    > at 2 and the card is at 7.

    Make sure the system BIOS is set to boot from the SCSI adapter,
    especially if there are any IDE/ATAPI devices present (such as your CD).
    This should happen automatically on many systems if there's a SCSI
    BIOS enabled.

    Bob

  6. Re: No Boot Drive!!!

    This is DAW again, see my comments down in Bob's comments.

    "Bob Bailin" <72027.3605@compuserve.com> wrote in message
    news:4Xxef.188$rq3.139@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com. ..

    > "SDS" wrote in message
    > news:qzwef.1912$s14.27@newsread2.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
    >> One thing I omitted from this posting.
    >>
    >> The SCSI Card never presents the SCSISelect option, it's completely
    >> invisible during boot. It should present itself so that one can define

    > the
    >> boot drive. I don't know how permenant the SCSI setup is but the old

    > drive
    >> (to be recovered from) was addressed as device 1 and the new drive which

    > is
    >> being installed is set to address 0. This might just be the problem.
    >>
    >> DAW

    > Sounds like a SCSI card that lacks a BIOS. These were useful for
    > non-hard disk SCSI devices such as tape drives and scanners. Is
    > this a PCI card or something more ancient?

    It's a PCI card circa 1999 or so. (Has a video port which is disabled, can
    see that from the jumpers) It uses an AIC-7880P chip, which is on a lot of
    current Adaptec products, at least they refer to the 7800 "series" as a
    group.

    > Before discarding the card, try hitting Ctrl-A (repeatedly) during the
    > boot
    > process to see if you can call up the SCSI setup utility on the card
    > (there's usually an option to hide the Ctrl-A prompt). And lastly, check
    > the card for any jumpers that might be used to enable/disable the BIOS
    > (or set its I/O BIOS address).

    Can't find any jumpers but I will look again when I get to the site
    tomorrow. My eyes got sore of tired after a long period of frustration.

    I agree with trying Ctrl-A. I just did that on my own system which runs
    both XP and Open Server, and uses a 2940W/UW. I didn't know the option to
    display that could be hidden but that could well be the case.

    > If these all fail, go out and buy a "real" SCSI adapter, preferably one
    > with a bit more documentation.

    My client did that already but what he got is trash and he needs to return
    it. (Don't you love clients who do things like that?)

    The only thought I had is that (based on some comments from Mr. B) is that
    if I stay with the same card I will have a better chance of getting the same
    LBA setup that's on the bad drive.

    I'll try the Ctrl-A thing tomorrow, and may also change the address of the
    new SCSI drive to 1, which is where the old one is set.

    Thanks,

    DAW

    > Bob
    >

    >> "SDS" wrote in message
    >> news:ccvef.1880$s14.32@newsread2.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
    >> >I think I may be regressing with age, but failed all day to install OSR
    >> >5.0.7 on a new P4 system using a brand new drive and an older Adaptec

    > SCSI
    >> >card. (A Combo card with a video port, disabled).
    >> >
    >> > The objective is to get a brand new drive running in this new system
    >> > and
    >> > then try to recover data from a corrupted drive.
    >> >
    >> > The installation goes just fine, most of the time, and generally gets

    > past
    >> > the "alad" init process, actually identifying the drive with it's SCSI
    >> > address (0), and the model number and configuration (cyls=4600, hds=64,
    >> > secs=32, unit=0, FTS=STBD).
    >> >
    >> > Continuing, I get through the interactive divvy and all the other usual
    >> > setup parameters. OSR 5.0.7 loads as it should from the CD and at the
    >> > same time loads some updates, so far everything is fine.
    >> >
    >> > When reboot time comes, the system reports "No Boot Drive".
    >> >
    >> > I couldn't find the card on the Adaptec site.
    >> >
    >> > I did find what may be an appropriate boot time loader for the chip on

    > the
    >> > Adaptec Combo Card, which has a chip labled AIC-7880P. Although I

    > didn't
    >> > find that specific card on the Adaptec website but I did find some

    > loaders
    >> > for the 7800 series of chips, and some familiar names associated with

    > it,
    >> > i.e. 2940, 2994, and 3940, so I figure I might as well try to link in

    > the
    >> > file it creates on a floppy.
    >> >
    >> > The file name is fms303d3. When the time comes to load that file, it's
    >> > not found on the floppy where create.bat placed the image. I tried
    >> > both
    >> > upper and lower case for the link file name, but that file was never
    >> > found. Actually I'm not sure it's necessary because I haven't had to do
    >> > that before.
    >> >
    >> > In any case, the install runs just fine, (apparently) and OSR 5.0.7

    > seems
    >> > smart enough to identify the card, at least during installation.
    >> >
    >> > Topping all this off, during each subsequent re-install, the system
    >> > remembered most of the install settings, such as the time zone, system
    >> > name, divvy settings, etc., so the install must have done something.
    >> >
    >> > Why doesn't it find it when I reboot?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> >
    >> > Just call me stupid. Those who know me know my email address if you

    > want
    >> > to call me stupid privately.

  7. Re: No Boot Drive!!!

    A final thought- It would appear, from the Adaptec site, that some SCSI
    cards had SCSISelect, or something similar, distributed on a DOS Diskette.
    I can boot into DOS on that system with a floppy, but can't find out what
    software should be downloaded for that card.

    And, when I say DAW that's me. SDS is my other name.

    DAW
    ==================
> [...]

    >> > The file name is fms303d3. When the time comes to load that file, it's
    >> > not found on the floppy where create.bat placed the image. I tried
    >> > both
    >> > upper and lower case for the link file name, but that file was never
    >> > found. Actually I'm not sure it's necessary because I haven't had to do
    >> > that before.
    >> >
    >> > In any case, the install runs just fine, (apparently) and OSR 5.0.7

    > seems
    >> > smart enough to identify the card, at least during installation.
    >> >
    >> > Topping all this off, during each subsequent re-install, the system
    >> > remembered most of the install settings, such as the time zone, system
    >> > name, divvy settings, etc., so the install must have done something.
    >> >
    >> > Why doesn't it find it when I reboot?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> >
    >> > Just call me stupid. Those who know me know my email address if you

  8. Re: No Boot Drive!!!

    Don Williams wrote:

    > I think I may be regressing with age, but failed all day to install OSR
    > 5.0.7 on a new P4 system using a brand new drive and an older Adaptec SCSI
    > card. (A Combo card with a video port, disabled).
    >
    > The objective is to get a brand new drive running in this new system and
    > then try to recover data from a corrupted drive.
    >
    > The installation goes just fine, most of the time, and generally gets past
    > the "alad" init process, actually identifying the drive with it's SCSI
    > address (0), and the model number and configuration (cyls=4600, hds=64,
    > secs=32, unit=0, FTS=STBD).
    >
    > Continuing, I get through the interactive divvy and all the other usual
    > setup parameters. OSR 5.0.7 loads as it should from the CD and at the same
    > time loads some updates, so far everything is fine.
    >
    > When reboot time comes, the system reports "No Boot Drive".
    >
    > I couldn't find the card on the Adaptec site.
    >
    > I did find what may be an appropriate boot time loader for the chip on the
    > Adaptec Combo Card, which has a chip labled AIC-7880P. Although I didn't
    > find that specific card on the Adaptec website but I did find some loaders
    > for the 7800 series of chips, and some familiar names associated with it,
    > i.e. 2940, 2994, and 3940, so I figure I might as well try to link in the
    > file it creates on a floppy.
    >
    > The file name is fms303d3. When the time comes to load that file, it's not
    > found on the floppy where create.bat placed the image. I tried both upper
    > and lower case for the link file name, but that file was never found.
    > Actually I'm not sure it's necessary because I haven't had to do that
    > before.
    >
    > In any case, the install runs just fine, (apparently) and OSR 5.0.7 seems
    > smart enough to identify the card, at least during installation.
    >
    > Topping all this off, during each subsequent re-install, the system
    > remembered most of the install settings, such as the time zone, system name,
    > divvy settings, etc., so the install must have done something.
    >
    > Why doesn't it find it when I reboot?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Just call me stupid. Those who know me know my email address if you want to
    > call me stupid privately.

    Sounds like an Acer "SCSI/VGA COMBO CARD" PCI card:

    http://csd.acer.com.tw/acer/URMUL1.NSF/0/17d34192ef1f7b97482567a6000a97a8/$FILE/scsivga-e.pdf

    You might search Acer's site for drivers, but don't expect too much on
    an obscure 7+ year old card.

    The chipset is the same one as used in Adaptec 2940, 2944, 3940, and
    should work with the "alad" driver. OSR507's built-in "alad" should be
    able to drive it. But obviously it doesn't. That means that the way
    the chip is used on this card isn't 100% compatible with Adaptec's own
    cards.

    You can beat your brains out on this, or you can swap in a more normal
    card. Considering that several vendors are selling the AHA-2940UW for
    $15 according to pricewatch.com, how much of your time is this worth
    wasting?

    >Bela<

  9. Re: No Boot Drive!!!

    Comments below:

    "Bela Lubkin" wrote in message
    news:200511152002.aa16119@deepthought.armory.com.. .
    > Don Williams wrote:
    >
    > > I think I may be regressing with age, but failed all day to install OSR
    > > 5.0.7 on a new P4 system using a brand new drive and an older Adaptec

    SCSI
    > > card. (A Combo card with a video port, disabled).
    > >
    > > The objective is to get a brand new drive running in this new system and
    > > then try to recover data from a corrupted drive.
    > >
    > > The installation goes just fine, most of the time, and generally gets

    past
    > > the "alad" init process, actually identifying the drive with it's SCSI
    > > address (0), and the model number and configuration (cyls=4600, hds=64,
    > > secs=32, unit=0, FTS=STBD).
    > >
    > > Continuing, I get through the interactive divvy and all the other usual
    > > setup parameters. OSR 5.0.7 loads as it should from the CD and at the

    same
    > > time loads some updates, so far everything is fine.
    > >
    > > When reboot time comes, the system reports "No Boot Drive".
    > >
    > > I couldn't find the card on the Adaptec site.
    > >
    > > I did find what may be an appropriate boot time loader for the chip on

    the
    > > Adaptec Combo Card, which has a chip labled AIC-7880P. Although I

    didn't
    > > find that specific card on the Adaptec website but I did find some

    loaders
    > > for the 7800 series of chips, and some familiar names associated with

    it,
    > > i.e. 2940, 2994, and 3940, so I figure I might as well try to link in

    the
    > > file it creates on a floppy.
    > >
    > > The file name is fms303d3. When the time comes to load that file, it's

    not
    > > found on the floppy where create.bat placed the image. I tried both

    upper
    > > and lower case for the link file name, but that file was never found.
    > > Actually I'm not sure it's necessary because I haven't had to do that
    > > before.
    > >
    > > In any case, the install runs just fine, (apparently) and OSR 5.0.7

    seems
    > > smart enough to identify the card, at least during installation.
    > >
    > > Topping all this off, during each subsequent re-install, the system
    > > remembered most of the install settings, such as the time zone, system

    name,
    > > divvy settings, etc., so the install must have done something.
    > >
    > > Why doesn't it find it when I reboot?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Just call me stupid. Those who know me know my email address if you

    want to
    > > call me stupid privately.

    > Sounds like an Acer "SCSI/VGA COMBO CARD" PCI card:

    Yes, you nailed it, It's an Acer Box.

    http://csd.acer.com.tw/acer/URMUL1.NSF/0/17d34192ef1f7b97482567a6000a97a8/$FILE/scsivga-e.pdf

    > You might search Acer's site for drivers, but don't expect too much on
    > an obscure 7+ year old card.
    >
    > The chipset is the same one as used in Adaptec 2940, 2944, 3940, and
    > should work with the "alad" driver. OSR507's built-in "alad" should be
    > able to drive it. But obviously it doesn't. That means that the way
    > the chip is used on this card isn't 100% compatible with Adaptec's own
    > cards.
    >
    > You can beat your brains out on this, or you can swap in a more normal
    > card. Considering that several vendors are selling the AHA-2940UW for
    > $15 according to pricewatch.com, how much of your time is this worth
    > wasting?

    Very little. Just concerned about your comment about getting the same LBA.

    I'm going to assume that the card was previously set to boot address 1 and
    if that's not the case I'll go for the 2940, which I've had forever.

    Next task is to find out what to do with the second OSR CD, seems to be an
    update.

    Thanks much,

    DAW

    > >Bela<