OpenServer 5.07 mp4 - SCO

This is a discussion on OpenServer 5.07 mp4 - SCO ; I have just noted the existance of mp4 for OS 5.07, have read the release notes and recent postings here. Two questions: 1. We are using BackupEDGE 1.02.04. Does mp4 break this earlier version? 2. I'm confused about changes to ...

  1. OpenServer 5.07 mp4

    I have just noted the existance of mp4 for OS 5.07, have read the release
    notes and recent postings here. Two questions:

    1. We are using BackupEDGE 1.02.04. Does mp4 break this earlier version?

    2. I'm confused about changes to the printer subsystem (CUPS and SYSV
    printers). We are not using rlp. There are printers configured using HP
    Jetadmin utility from scoadmin with /dev/null as their listed devices.
    There are printers the are configured using facetwin where the devices are
    pipes in the facetwin directory tree. There are dot matrix printers
    connected to Digi serial ports. What happens to the printers and their
    interface files when CUPS is installed as part of mp4? should I not install
    CUPS?

    Thanks.

    Marty Rubenstein
    marty@sbohp.com

  2. Re: OpenServer 5.07 mp4

    Martin Rubenstein typed (on Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 03:18:46PM -0800):
    | I have just noted the existance of mp4 for OS 5.07, have read the release
    | notes and recent postings here. Two questions:
    |
    | 1. We are using BackupEDGE 1.02.04. Does mp4 break this earlier version?

    No one has said so (yet). But as it has to do with the use of a
    Microlite-supplied encryption library, and B/E 01.02.04 didn't have
    encryption capabilities, I'll wager the answer is, "no problem".

    | 2. I'm confused about changes to the printer subsystem (CUPS and SYSV
    | printers). We are not using rlp. There are printers configured using HP
    | Jetadmin utility from scoadmin with /dev/null as their listed devices.
    | There are printers the are configured using facetwin where the devices are
    | pipes in the facetwin directory tree. There are dot matrix printers
    | connected to Digi serial ports. What happens to the printers and their
    | interface files when CUPS is installed as part of mp4? should I not install
    | CUPS?

    Nothing happens to what you're successfully doing. SYSV printing
    remains the default setting in /etc/default/lpd, unless one day you
    decide to set it to CUPS. In the meantime you can use CUPS printing
    facilities by adding the '--cups' option to various commands such as
    lp or lpstat or cancel or accept. IOW, you can explore CUPS printing
    without having to demolish your already-working printer setups.

    --
    JP

+ Reply to Thread