SCO Office mail server--feedback? - SCO

This is a discussion on SCO Office mail server--feedback? - SCO ; Can anyone offer feedback on SCO Office mail server? Would you recommend as a recplacement for MS Exchange, with less than 100 users? Best Regards, Dan...

  1. SCO Office mail server--feedback?

    Can anyone offer feedback on SCO Office mail server?

    Would you recommend as a recplacement for MS Exchange,
    with less than 100 users?

    Best Regards,
    Dan

  2. Re: SCO Office mail server--feedback?

    No. And this is coming from a hardcore anti-Microsoft person.

    If you want a replacement for MS Exchange, use Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD,
    NetBSD, Solaris...etc... Anything but SCO...

  3. Re: SCO Office mail server--feedback?

    Actually it's ok nothing special , it is easier the Exchange to
    maintain.

    However I don't think it's supported on OSR 6.0 yet

    http://www.sco.com/products/officese...uirements.html

    Rob

    "Dan Martin" wrote in message
    news:1131564110.897747.13850@g47g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > Can anyone offer feedback on SCO Office mail server?
    >
    > Would you recommend as a recplacement for MS Exchange,
    > with less than 100 users?
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Dan

  4. Re: SCO Office mail server--feedback?

    Dan Martin wrote:

    > Can anyone offer feedback on SCO Office mail server?
    >
    > Would you recommend as a recplacement for MS Exchange,
    > with less than 100 users?
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Dan

    We are running it, and have sold it to customers.
    At this point not a full exchange replacement, make sure
    it has the required features.

    As a web mail, pop/imap server it works great even on
    low end hardware. Stable, has lots of advanced features
    that are relatively easy to configure, clamav, spamassassin
    and postfix.

    The admin web interface allows normal skilled end users
    to run multiple domains and configure per user defaults,
    and modify basic traits of the various server daemons.

    Microlite has added in specific backup features for the
    mail store, so simple disaster recovery is possible.

    At the price point I think SCO has a competitive product.

    Mike
    --
    Michael Brown

    The Kingsway Group

  5. Re: SCO Office mail server--feedback?

    In article <1131564110.897747.13850@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    Dan Martin wrote:
    >Can anyone offer feedback on SCO Office mail server?
    >
    >Would you recommend as a recplacement for MS Exchange,
    >with less than 100 users?

    I'd recommend FreeBSD. Currently the 4.x as 5.x has been
    problematic for some and 6.0 is only a week old.

    I moved to a FreeBSD platform from SGI's IRIX for an ISP in 1996.
    I've used it there and at a followup ISP ever since.

    100 users is child's play on the 4.x, with sendmail, and
    with a 400MHz PII. If there is a lot of mail and IF all users
    are using SpamAssassin - you will require more horsepower as
    Perl will chew up a bit of CPU power doing it's filtering.

    And if you are not doing filtering you can handle a LOT of email.
    Until I finally removed all MX records for one site, it was
    getting up to 300,000 spam messages/day. I'd see 60 instances of
    sendmail running, but the loads never got high. Truly efficient.

    I've just taken our mailserver down after 609 days of uptime [there
    were no security patches which required reboots] because I moved it
    to a newer platform with more CPU power.

    Now one comment on why you may want to stay on an MS based platform
    - but NOT with the MS mail.

    If you are really confortable with admining MS systems, and Unix
    systems are new to you and somewhat daunting - you may want to
    look into sendmail for MS. It's called Mailstream in that
    environment - but it's basically a commercial and supported
    sendmail product.

    You can check it out at http://www.sendmail.com.

    The free sendmail is www.sendmail.org - so don't get there
    and expect to find the commercial version.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  6. Re: SCO Office mail server--feedback?

    Dan Martin wrote:
    > Can anyone offer feedback on SCO Office mail server?
    >
    > Would you recommend as a recplacement for MS Exchange,
    > with less than 100 users?
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Dan

    Pointless product. If you really want this, buy the Bynari product and
    run it on Linux. See http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/scoofficemail.html

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com