CDROM woes - SCO

This is a discussion on CDROM woes - SCO ; Hello, Here is the next chapter in my ongoing fight with an IBM X206 Server. I finally got all my software loaded on the server and was able to trick the machine into giving me the IRQs I needed for ...

  1. CDROM woes

    Hello,

    Here is the next chapter in my ongoing fight with an IBM X206 Server. I
    finally got all my software loaded on the server and was able to trick
    the machine into giving me the IRQs I needed for a pair of Dialogic
    Cards (there is absolutly no way to reserve an IRQ or assign one to a
    PCI stol on this model server).

    Now I need to remove and reinstall the package for the dialogic cards
    since that tape I loaded was from a machine where the cards were on IRQ
    10 and the only thing I could get the new server to give me was IRQ 5.

    I removed the package just fine, but when I went to mount the cdrom, I
    got the following error:

    cannot stat '/dev/cd0' : No Such Device or Address
    CONFIG no srom devices configured: unit (0) missing

    I know that our previous Unix guy did "something" to disable the cdroms

    in the production servers so people couldn't load anything on them.

    So far I've:

    Used mkdev cdrom to remove all instances of cd drives.

    Checked /dev/*cd* to make sure all instances were gone.

    Used mkdev cdrom to add the drive

    Checked the /etc/conf/sdevice.d/srom file to verify it is set
    correctly. It is set to:

    Srom Y 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

    Checked the /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi file to verify t is set correctly. It
    is set to:

    wd Srom 0 0 0 0

    I added Srom=wd(0,0,0,0) to my /etc/default/boot file just incase.

    When I do hwconfig, I get:

    name=kernel vec=- dma=- rel=3.2v5.0.6 kid=2000-07-27
    name=cpu vec=- dma=- unit=1 family=15
    name=cpuid vec=- dma=- unit=1 vend=GenuineIntel tfms=0:15:4:1
    name=fpu vec=13 dma=- unit=1 type=80387-compatible
    name=pci base=0xCF8 offset=0x7 vec=- dma=- am=1 sc=0 buses=5
    name=PnP vec=- dma=- nodes=0
    name=clock vec=- dma=- type=TSC/3000488846Hz
    name=serial base=0x2F8 offset=0x7 vec=3 dma=- unit=1 type=Standard
    nports=1 fifo
    =yes
    name=console vec=- dma=- unit=vga type=0 num=12 scoansi=1 scroll=50
    name=adapter base=0x3000 offset=0xFF vec=11 dma=- type=ad160 ha=0 bus=0

    id=7 fts
    =sto
    name=floppy base=0x3F2 offset=0x5 vec=6 dma=2 unit=0 type=135ds18
    name=kbmouse base=0x60 offset=0x4 vec=12 dma=- type=Keyboard|PS/2 mouse

    id=0x00

    name=parallel base=0x378 offset=0x2 vec=7 dma=- unit=0
    name=gncfd vec=- dma=- Dialogic Configuarion Driver
    name=gpio vec=- dma=- Dialogic GPIO Driver
    name=eeG0 base=0x2000 offset=0x1F vec=11 dma=- type=PRO/1000
    00:11:25:ab:70:a2
    name=dlgn vec=5 dma=- Dialogic PCI Driver, bus = 4, slot = 6
    name=dlgn vec=5 dma=- Dialogic PCI Driver, bus = 4, slot = 7
    name=tape vec=- dma=- type=S ha=0 id=14 lun=0 bus=0 ht=ad160
    name=disk vec=- dma=- type=S ha=0 id=12 lun=0 bus=0 ht=ad160
    name=Sdsk vec=- dma=- cyls=8924 hds=255 secs=63 fts=stdb
    name=disk vec=- dma=- type=S ha=0 id=13 lun=0 bus=0 ht=ad160
    name=Sdsk vec=- dma=- cyls=8924 hds=255 secs=63 fts=stdb

    Looking at this, I see no instance of the cdrom.

    When I compare the system I am working with to a lab box that does have

    the drvie working, I see a line in the hwconfig output that states:

    name=cd-rom vec=- dma=- type=IDE ctlr=pri cfg=mst dvr=Srom->wd

    I assume the guy before either deleted a file or commented the drive
    out of a file somewhere.

    Any help would be appreciated. BTW, it is an IDE cdrom, master on the
    primary channel and I am running OpenServer 5.06

    Thanks,

    Kevin

  2. Re: CDROM woes

    Kevin Williams wrote:

    > Here is the next chapter in my ongoing fight with an IBM X206 Server. I
    > finally got all my software loaded on the server and was able to trick
    > the machine into giving me the IRQs I needed for a pair of Dialogic
    > Cards (there is absolutly no way to reserve an IRQ or assign one to a
    > PCI stol on this model server).
    >
    > Now I need to remove and reinstall the package for the dialogic cards
    > since that tape I loaded was from a machine where the cards were on IRQ
    > 10 and the only thing I could get the new server to give me was IRQ 5.

    "remove and reinstall" is a coward's answer. The underlying issue here
    is that the Dialogic software is apparently configured for IRQ 10 when
    you need it on IRQ 5. That configuration information should be limited
    to one or two files in the Dialogic install. Find and fix them.

    >Bela<

  3. Re: CDROM woes

    Bela,

    I have editted the file in question. It is
    /etc/conf/sdevice.d/dialogic.cfg.

    I changed the values to reflect the correct IRQ. I did this and rebuilt
    the kernel. After that, the system only sees 1 dialogic card, not 2. If
    I run the dialogic setup program over, and tell it there are two cards
    in the system, it updates the dialogic.cfg file, but still the system
    only flashes one card when it boots up. If i write over dialogic.cfg
    with dialogic.old (backup I made), and rebuild, the system flashes both
    cards, but they still have an issue. When I can in and the cards answer
    the phone, there is a stutter of the automated voice (program that is
    downloaded to the cards on bootup). Half way through the message the
    call ends and the card does not let go of the line (busy tone if I try
    to call back). If I try to use my utility to stop and start the
    software it says it can no longer find either card.

    If I boot the system with a single card, the system works fine. I
    talked with the vendor that provides the software that runs on these
    cards. He said that part of the package install creates several files
    that reference the IRQs. These files are what lets the cards run
    together (like a single card with twice as many ports). His suggestion
    was to remove and reinstall the package. The package came from Intel
    (owner of Dialogic now) and they provide little information outside
    reinstalling the package. The card has been out of production for a few
    years.

    I'm sorry if there is a easy solution I am not seeing or I am making
    this much harder that neccessary. I'm pretty new to the unix end of the
    world.

    Thanks,

    Kevin

  4. Re: CDROM woes

    "Kevin" wrote in message
    news:1131406808.891638.7010@g47g2000cwa.googlegrou ps.com...
> [...]
    > name=dlgn vec=5 dma=- Dialogic PCI Driver, bus = 4, slot = 7
    > name=tape vec=- dma=- type=S ha=0 id=14 lun=0 bus=0 ht=ad160
    > name=disk vec=- dma=- type=S ha=0 id=12 lun=0 bus=0 ht=ad160
    > name=Sdsk vec=- dma=- cyls=8924 hds=255 secs=63 fts=stdb
    > name=disk vec=- dma=- type=S ha=0 id=13 lun=0 bus=0 ht=ad160
    > name=Sdsk vec=- dma=- cyls=8924 hds=255 secs=63 fts=stdb
    >

    > Looking at this, I see no instance of the cdrom.
    >

    > When I compare the system I am working with to a lab box that does have
    >
    > the drvie working, I see a line in the hwconfig output that states:
    >

    > name=cd-rom vec=- dma=- type=IDE ctlr=pri cfg=mst dvr=Srom->wd
    >

    > I assume the guy before either deleted a file or commented the drive
    > out of a file somewhere.
    >

    > Any help would be appreciated. BTW, it is an IDE cdrom, master on the
    > primary channel and I am running OpenServer 5.06

    There's no evidence of the wd driver being loaded either. Check the
    cabling & power to the drive, make sure it's jumpered for master and
    plugged into the primary ide port. Go into the BIOS and make sure both
    ide ports are enabled and the CD is recognized by the BIOS IDE
    auto-detect.

    If you have a 5.0.6 installation CD, try booting from it. You can exit
    the installation once you've read in the installation files from the CD
    to ensure that it's recognized and working reasonably well.

    If the CD is proved to be working, you might need a newer version of
    the wd driver from the SCO ftp website. You might also want to check
    first that the /etc/conf/sdevice.d/wd file has the driver enabled.

    Bob

  5. Re: CDROM woes

    Kevin Williams wrote:

    > I have editted the file in question. It is
    > /etc/conf/sdevice.d/dialogic.cfg.
    >
    > I changed the values to reflect the correct IRQ. I did this and rebuilt
    > the kernel. After that, the system only sees 1 dialogic card, not 2. If
    > I run the dialogic setup program over, and tell it there are two cards
    > in the system, it updates the dialogic.cfg file, but still the system
    > only flashes one card when it boots up. If i write over dialogic.cfg
    > with dialogic.old (backup I made), and rebuild, the system flashes both
    > cards, but they still have an issue. When I can in and the cards answer
    > the phone, there is a stutter of the automated voice (program that is
    > downloaded to the cards on bootup). Half way through the message the
    > call ends and the card does not let go of the line (busy tone if I try
    > to call back). If I try to use my utility to stop and start the
    > software it says it can no longer find either card.
    >
    > If I boot the system with a single card, the system works fine. I
    > talked with the vendor that provides the software that runs on these
    > cards. He said that part of the package install creates several files
    > that reference the IRQs. These files are what lets the cards run
    > together (like a single card with twice as many ports). His suggestion
    > was to remove and reinstall the package. The package came from Intel
    > (owner of Dialogic now) and they provide little information outside
    > reinstalling the package. The card has been out of production for a few
    > years.
    >
    > I'm sorry if there is a easy solution I am not seeing or I am making
    > this much harder that neccessary. I'm pretty new to the unix end of the
    > world.

    Well, if there are important references to the IRQs in various files
    scattered around the install, it isn't _you_ that have made this harder
    than necessary...

    One thing you could do is to do an install on another (clean) system,
    using one IRQ; back that up; then wipe it clean, install again using a
    2nd IRQ; back that up. Then compare the Dialogic files from the two
    installs. That should give you enough ammo to be able to edit your live
    Dialogic install on the system you're trying to bring up.

    But since you say you've already removed the first install, you might as
    well proceed down the path and reinstall...

    >Bela<

+ Reply to Thread