Recovering from a renamed /usr - SCO

This is a discussion on Recovering from a renamed /usr - SCO ; Hey All, We recently had a SCO 5.0.6 system get /usr directory moved to another directory (/usr6/usr to be exact) by accident. Once that happened all commands that were attempted (ls, mv, cp, ln, etc) came back immediately with 'Killed'. ...

  1. Recovering from a renamed /usr

    Hey All, We recently had a SCO 5.0.6 system get /usr directory moved
    to another directory (/usr6/usr to be exact) by accident. Once that
    happened all commands that were attempted (ls, mv, cp, ln, etc) came
    back immediately with 'Killed'. Even though the commads were found,
    they wouldn't run. Perhaps they relied on a file that was in /usr ??
    Question is, can this be recovered?

  2. Re: Recovering from a renamed /usr

    tony@acslhome.com typed (on Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 09:32:29AM -0800):
    | Hey All, We recently had a SCO 5.0.6 system get /usr directory moved
    | to another directory (/usr6/usr to be exact) by accident. Once that
    | happened all commands that were attempted (ls, mv, cp, ln, etc) came
    | back immediately with 'Killed'. Even though the commads were found,
    | they wouldn't run. Perhaps they relied on a file that was in /usr ??
    | Question is, can this be recovered?

    login: root
    # type mv
    mv is tracked alias for /bin/mv
    # mv /usr6/usr /usr

    - Jeff Hyman

  3. Re: Recovering from a renamed /usr

    In article <1131384749.386796.34290@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.c om>,
    wrote:
    >Hey All, We recently had a SCO 5.0.6 system get /usr directory moved
    >to another directory (/usr6/usr to be exact) by accident. Once that
    >happened all commands that were attempted (ls, mv, cp, ln, etc) came
    >back immediately with 'Killed'. Even though the commads were found,
    >they wouldn't run. Perhaps they relied on a file that was in /usr ??
    >Question is, can this be recovered?

    Yes, they rely on libraries under /usr. Try /sbin/mv & friends.

    John