error in relinking kernel - SCO

This is a discussion on error in relinking kernel - SCO ; hello all, i'm using a scounix operating system. When i try to change the ip address of the server it will ask me to relink the kernel, when i press yes it will give the following error messages below: i ...

  1. error in relinking kernel

    hello all,
    i'm using a scounix operating system. When i try to change the ip
    address of the server it will ask me to relink the kernel, when i press
    yes it will give the following error messages below:

    i get cannot open /var/opt/k/sco/link/1.1.1.Eb/etc/conf/sdevice.d/stp

    and

    ibuild : the build process had errors

    Can anyone help please, cause i need to add the ip so that the support
    can access the machine remotly.

    Thanks

    Dan

  2. Re: error in relinking kernel

    "dan" ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:1131285451.476304.309290@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > hello all,
    > i'm using a scounix operating system. When i try to change the ip
    > address of the server it will ask me to relink the kernel, when i press
    > yes it will give the following error messages below:
    >
    > i get cannot open /var/opt/k/sco/link/1.1.1.Eb/etc/conf/sdevice.d/stp
    >
    > and
    >
    > ibuild : the build process had errors
    >
    > Can anyone help please, cause i need to add the ip so that the support
    > can access the machine remotly.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dan

    take a look to this SCO Knowledge base article:

    http://wdb1.sco.com/kb/showta?taid=1...389142&pgnum=1

    http://wdb1.sco.com/kb/showta?taid=1...389142&pgnum=1

    Please specify version of "sco unix", run "uname -X"

    Mirko

  3. Re: error in relinking kernel Reply-To: scomsc@xenitec.on.ca

    dan enscribed:
    | hello all,
    | i'm using a scounix operating system. When i try to change the ip
    | address of the server it will ask me to relink the kernel, when i press
    | yes it will give the following error messages below:
    |
    | i get cannot open /var/opt/k/sco/link/1.1.1.Eb/etc/conf/sdevice.d/stp

    I don't think so.

    Always include the OS version (uname -X | grep Release)

    However, I can tell this is OpenServer 5.0.5

    Upper and lower case is significant, you may have seen:
    /var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.1Eb/etc/conf/sdevice.d/Stp

    See if that file exists and has the correct permissions:

    # ls -l /var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.1Eb/etc/conf/sdevice.d/Stp
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 22 Aug 25 1999 /var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.1Eb/etc/conf/sdevice.d/Stp

    That is the second step.

    The first step is WHY does some support person need you to change the ip
    address for them to access the machine remotely?

    The only reason I could think of is they want to access the machine over
    the internet. You should not connect your server to the internet without
    a firewall and hardening of the system. This would be extremely dangerous.

    Tom Parsons tom@tegan.com