Modem disconnects immediately after answering - SCO

This is a discussion on Modem disconnects immediately after answering - SCO ; I know this has been answered in the past, but I didn't find the answer on Tony's site nor on Google. Overwhelmed with responses on the latter. It's an OSR 5.0.5 site that I upgraded from the old 3.x prior ...

  1. Modem disconnects immediately after answering

    I know this has been answered in the past, but I didn't find the
    answer on Tony's site nor on Google. Overwhelmed with responses
    on the latter.

    It's an OSR 5.0.5 site that I upgraded from the old 3.x prior
    to Y2K as the client needed it running just a while long while they
    moved to a new software package.

    5.5 years later - and now with a different vendor - they stil
    haven't made the conversion.

    They moved the system to another site and when they connected the
    8 port device to the system they did not have things in place
    firmly so things weren't working. I didn't catch that part at
    first so I started seeing what to do in the EasyAdm utility.

    Long and short of it is their outbound modem is working fine.

    But the inbound modem for the data conversion house is not.

    Modem is a USR 56K. Both are the same but differ only in
    manufacture date.

    When a call is made incoming the modem will pickup, the two modems
    will handshake, and you can see the TX and RX flicker a bit, then
    DTR is dropped and the call is disconnected.

    I know I've seen that symptom here in the far past. This is the
    first time I've touched a modem in about 5 years after living with
    them on a daily basis. It's the old use-it-or-lose it routine I
    guess.

    I did a verify on all the SW and it came up clean. I did this
    after I went out Sunday when I got a call about no space, and he
    had to turn power off to get in. 10 blocks were free, and I
    cleaned up some log files - but I checked the OS thinking something
    could have gone away when the system was forcibly repowered.

    I can talk to one modem with CU, but the one that hangs up
    gets me 'no device' even though it is in the Devices file.

    If you can help, or provide a link that will get me going I'd
    really appreciate it.

    I've been so spoiled by working with networks and routers I've
    forgotten how primitive these beasts could be at times.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  2. Re: Modem disconnects immediately after answering

    Bill Vermillion wrote:
    > I know this has been answered in the past, but I didn't find the
    > answer on Tony's site nor on Google. Overwhelmed with responses
    > on the latter.
    >
    > It's an OSR 5.0.5 site that I upgraded from the old 3.x prior
    > to Y2K as the client needed it running just a while long while they
    > moved to a new software package.
    >
    > 5.5 years later - and now with a different vendor - they stil
    > haven't made the conversion.
    >
    > They moved the system to another site and when they connected the
    > 8 port device to the system they did not have things in place
    > firmly so things weren't working. I didn't catch that part at
    > first so I started seeing what to do in the EasyAdm utility.
    >
    > Long and short of it is their outbound modem is working fine.
    >
    > But the inbound modem for the data conversion house is not.
    >
    > Modem is a USR 56K. Both are the same but differ only in
    > manufacture date.
    >
    > When a call is made incoming the modem will pickup, the two modems
    > will handshake, and you can see the TX and RX flicker a bit, then
    > DTR is dropped and the call is disconnected.
    >
    > I know I've seen that symptom here in the far past. This is the
    > first time I've touched a modem in about 5 years after living with
    > them on a daily basis. It's the old use-it-or-lose it routine I
    > guess.
    >
    > I did a verify on all the SW and it came up clean. I did this
    > after I went out Sunday when I got a call about no space, and he
    > had to turn power off to get in. 10 blocks were free, and I
    > cleaned up some log files - but I checked the OS thinking something
    > could have gone away when the system was forcibly repowered.
    >
    > I can talk to one modem with CU, but the one that hangs up
    > gets me 'no device' even though it is in the Devices file.
    >
    > If you can help, or provide a link that will get me going I'd
    > really appreciate it.
    >
    > I've been so spoiled by working with networks and routers I've
    > forgotten how primitive these beasts could be at times.
    >
    > Bill

    Bill,

    I happened to get my hands over a modem here a couple of weeks ago while
    helping a friend taking his first steps with modem and OS5 (he's a young
    guy, you see :-).

    And yes, I agree about HOW those primitive beasts can be (at times).

    I know JP will jump in and give the exact solution to your problem in a
    single English line but here I go.

    What does /usr/lib/uucp/Devices reports on your system ? Does it report
    a line similar to the following one:

    Direct - direct

    What if you "cu -x9 -l" ?

    I suppose the system is instructed to let incoming calls get to the
    login prompt so I also suppose ("suppose: the mother of all screwups"
    [TM]) that /etc/inittab has been modified to start a "getty" on the
    node.

    What if you add the "-x9" switch to the getty line such as in the
    following example ?

    Se2A:234:respawn:/etc/getty -x 9 -t60 tty2A o

    Again, I'm supposing the device being controlled is "tty2A" and the
    speed is "o" (38400bps from /etc/gettydefs); please change it accordingly.

    Once done, a "telinit q" should print to the console the output of the
    dialer program being used to "drive" that port - that should be also
    mantioned in /usr/lib/uucp/Devices as follows:

    gavi336 tty2A - 38400 gavi336 \D

    here, "gavi336" is both the label and the name of the dialer in
    /usr/lib/uucp/default.

    I think it'll end up sending a lot of "AT" command and waiting for an
    incoming connection to come.

    When the remote site dials in, you should see some info depicted on the
    console so perhaps you'll have a clue about what's going wrong.

    My "guts instinct" is that perhaps the modem is not allowing the remote
    site to connect due to a bad value in one of the registers; from
    __MEMORY__ I recall there's a setting with which you can tell the modem
    only to accept incoming calls at a defined speed and refuses them otherwise.

    Perhaps, if you could "cu" to the modem, a quick "AT&V" might reveal
    something interesting.

    And now, to JP...

    Best,
    Roberto

    --
    Roberto Zini - r.zini<@AT@>strhold.it
    "Has anybody around here seen an aircraft carrier?"

  3. Re: Modem disconnects immediately after answering

    On Wed, Nov 02, 2005, Bill Vermillion wrote:
    >Long and short of it is their outbound modem is working fine.
    >
    >But the inbound modem for the data conversion house is not.
    >
    >Modem is a USR 56K. Both are the same but differ only in
    >manufacture date.
    >
    >When a call is made incoming the modem will pickup, the two modems
    >will handshake, and you can see the TX and RX flicker a bit, then
    >DTR is dropped and the call is disconnected.

    It's been years since I last looked at this problem, but going to
    my HylaFAX configuration files, I think my solution was to set
    register 25 to 2. I have this in the configuration to tell the
    modem to reset on loss of DTR, and I'm pretty sure that S25 sets
    a timeout interval that DTR has to stay down (at least on the
    MultiTech modems we use.

    AT&D3S25=2

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    DOS: n., A small annoying boot virus that causes random spontaneous system
    crashes, usually just before saving a massive project. Easily cured by
    UNIX. See also MS-DOS, IBM-DOS, DR-DOS.

  4. Re: Modem disconnects immediately after answering

    In article ,
    Rob wrote:
    >Bill Vermillion wrote:
    >> I know this has been answered in the past, but I didn't find the
    >> answer on Tony's site nor on Google. Overwhelmed with responses
    >> on the latter.
    >>
    >> It's an OSR 5.0.5 site that I upgraded from the old 3.x prior
    >> to Y2K as the client needed it running just a while long while they
    >> moved to a new software package.
    >>
    >> 5.5 years later - and now with a different vendor - they stil
    >> haven't made the conversion.
    >>
    >> They moved the system to another site and when they connected the
    >> 8 port device to the system they did not have things in place
    >> firmly so things weren't working. I didn't catch that part at
    >> first so I started seeing what to do in the EasyAdm utility.
    >>
    >> Long and short of it is their outbound modem is working fine.
    >>
    >> But the inbound modem for the data conversion house is not.
    >>
    >> Modem is a USR 56K. Both are the same but differ only in
    >> manufacture date.
    >>
    >> When a call is made incoming the modem will pickup, the two modems
    >> will handshake, and you can see the TX and RX flicker a bit, then
    >> DTR is dropped and the call is disconnected.
    >>
    >> I know I've seen that symptom here in the far past. This is the
    >> first time I've touched a modem in about 5 years after living with
    >> them on a daily basis. It's the old use-it-or-lose it routine I
    >> guess.
    >>
    >> I did a verify on all the SW and it came up clean. I did this
    >> after I went out Sunday when I got a call about no space, and he
    >> had to turn power off to get in. 10 blocks were free, and I
    >> cleaned up some log files - but I checked the OS thinking something
    >> could have gone away when the system was forcibly repowered.
    >>
    >> I can talk to one modem with CU, but the one that hangs up
    >> gets me 'no device' even though it is in the Devices file.
    >>
    >> If you can help, or provide a link that will get me going I'd
    >> really appreciate it.
    >>
    >> I've been so spoiled by working with networks and routers I've
    >> forgotten how primitive these beasts could be at times.
    >>
    >> Bill
    >>

    >Bill,

    >I happened to get my hands over a modem here a couple of weeks
    >ago while helping a friend taking his first steps with modem and
    >OS5 (he's a young guy, you see :-).

    >And yes, I agree about HOW those primitive beasts can be (at times).

    >I know JP will jump in and give the exact solution to your problem in a
    >single English line but here I go.

    >What does /usr/lib/uucp/Devices reports on your system ? Does it report
    >a line similar to the following one:

    > Direct - direct

    >What if you "cu -x9 -l" ?

    I can connect via cu to the outgoing device, but no matter what I
    do to the other modem - the problem child - I can not login to it.

    Tomorrow I'll swap the modems so that if I can get into the one
    on tty0A04 I'll move it's cable to the modem that is normally
    on tty 0A06. It could be a modem problem.

    I'll double check the Direct line, and I've added it to be the
    tty0A06 and still nothing. Thinking about this now that I've
    gotten away from it makes me thing it could be a modem problem.

    >I suppose the system is instructed to let incoming calls get to the
    >login prompt so I also suppose ("suppose: the mother of all screwups"
    >[TM]) that /etc/inittab has been modified to start a "getty" on the
    > node.

    Well it did have /usr/lib/uucp/uugetty [I think that's the correct
    path] but I also decided to try a play getty. Nothing.

    >What if you add the "-x9" switch to the getty line such as in the
    >following example ?

    >Se2A:234:respawn:/etc/getty -x 9 -t60 tty2A o

    I'll try this.

    >Again, I'm supposing the device being controlled is "tty2A" and
    >the speed is "o" (38400bps from /etc/gettydefs); please change it
    >accordingly.

    I'm not sure what system serial ports ara availabe. One has a
    dedicated dongle for a SW program they have. At one time this
    board - Stallion I believe - had 2 modems and 3 serial printers -
    and the system serial ports were in use also.

    >Once done, a "telinit q" should print to the console the output of the
    >dialer program being used to "drive" that port - that should be also
    >mantioned in /usr/lib/uucp/Devices as follows:
    >
    > gavi336 tty2A - 38400 gavi336 \D
    >
    >here, "gavi336" is both the label and the name of the dialer in
    >/usr/lib/uucp/default.

    >I think it'll end up sending a lot of "AT" command and waiting for an
    >incoming connection to come.

    >When the remote site dials in, you should see some info depicted on the
    >console so perhaps you'll have a clue about what's going wrong.

    I've not seen anything yet - but in the EasyAdm I do have the
    monitor facility so when a call somes in I can see the responses,
    and the correct lights go on, I also see some bytes received and
    xmittec according to that display.

    But I also had a thought about an old Trailblazer I had at one
    time. It would answer but it would not connect. The Telebit tech
    didn't believe me so he dialed in and I had him listen to the moose
    calls the TBs exchange - and he could hear the interaction - see
    his side show a connection. It turned out a relay inside got fried
    so it worked up through and to the point where the relay was
    supposed to get the data through. That one was weird.

    >My "guts instinct" is that perhaps the modem is not allowing
    >the remote site to connect due to a bad value in one of the
    >registers; from __MEMORY__ I recall there's a setting with which
    >you can tell the modem only to accept incoming calls at a defined
    >speed and refuses them otherwise.

    >Perhaps, if you could "cu" to the modem, a quick "AT&V" might reveal
    >something interesting.

    I'll try all this - and double check all. I'm also beginning to
    think some lightning may have gotten to this one. But we'll see.

    Thansk for the hints. I think I have my old USR here somewhere so
    I might take that to the site.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  5. Re: Modem disconnects immediately after answering

    In article ,
    Bill Campbell wrote:
    >On Wed, Nov 02, 2005, Bill Vermillion wrote:
    >>Long and short of it is their outbound modem is working fine.
    >>
    >>But the inbound modem for the data conversion house is not.
    >>
    >>Modem is a USR 56K. Both are the same but differ only in
    >>manufacture date.
    >>
    >>When a call is made incoming the modem will pickup, the two modems
    >>will handshake, and you can see the TX and RX flicker a bit, then
    >>DTR is dropped and the call is disconnected.

    >It's been years since I last looked at this problem, but going to
    >my HylaFAX configuration files, I think my solution was to set
    >register 25 to 2. I have this in the configuration to tell the
    >modem to reset on loss of DTR, and I'm pretty sure that S25 sets
    >a timeout interval that DTR has to stay down (at least on the
    >MultiTech modems we use.
    >
    > AT&D3S25=2

    And as I recall from using the USR on my system here - back when I
    had modems in service - the USR didn't have a command to reset.

    That was a great feature that I also used on the Trailblazers.

    I'll let all know after I get there tomorrow.

    Since I had made changes with EasyAdm [or is it EasyAdmin] trying
    to get the modems connecting when it turns out the 8-port device
    was not making full connections, I've called the client and had him
    save last weeks bacukp that was made before I did any changes, so I
    just may reload the uucp directories from tape.

    It's been one of those weeks. Sprint reset the DNS for a site I do
    support for through a HW house.

    The owner of the HW house called Sprint Thursday to get it fixed
    as mail and web server were down. There is usually a 12 hour wait.

    They got the web server up on Friday. BUT the mail was not being
    seen. The person at Earthlink/Sprint said there MUST be a machine
    called 'mail' for them to send mail to it.

    Saturday the raw net name was up, the www was up, you could see an
    IP for the machine called mail BUT all the MX records were round
    robinged to a flock of Earthlink machines. So a call Saturday
    promised to get that fixed. About midnight Saturday the mail
    started working as the MX records were fixed.

    BUT - they put EVERYTHING ELSE back to the round robin servers for
    web-hosting so I called an talked to the tech on Monday. And
    finally at the 11PM reload Monday night everything was working.

    They do have a mistake as the MX record is pointing to an IP number
    instead of an FQDN - but since it's working now - we aren't going
    to complain further.

    I think it's disgusting for someone like Earthlink/Sprint to
    totally screw up a business account with static DSL and have it not
    working for 6 days - Wednesday thru Monday.

    I mentioned to a tech at the HW shop that [given some other things
    we'd seen that week] that these people should get out of the
    computer business and start driving trucks.

    He said we didn't want that because then they'd be on the road
    with us.

    Somedays you can't win.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  6. Re: Modem disconnects immediately after answering

    On Wed, Nov 02, 2005, Bill Vermillion wrote:
    >In article ,
    >Bill Campbell wrote:
    >>On Wed, Nov 02, 2005, Bill Vermillion wrote:
    >>>Long and short of it is their outbound modem is working fine.
    >>>
    >>>But the inbound modem for the data conversion house is not.
    >>>
    >>>Modem is a USR 56K. Both are the same but differ only in
    >>>manufacture date.
    >>>
    >>>When a call is made incoming the modem will pickup, the two modems
    >>>will handshake, and you can see the TX and RX flicker a bit, then
    >>>DTR is dropped and the call is disconnected.

    >>It's been years since I last looked at this problem, but going to
    >>my HylaFAX configuration files, I think my solution was to set
    >>register 25 to 2. I have this in the configuration to tell the
    >>modem to reset on loss of DTR, and I'm pretty sure that S25 sets
    >>a timeout interval that DTR has to stay down (at least on the
    >>MultiTech modems we use.
    >>
    >> AT&D3S25=2

    >And as I recall from using the USR on my system here - back when I
    >had modems in service - the USR didn't have a command to reset.

    I gave up on USR when I got a pair of their HSX (or whatever they called
    their original asymmetric ``high speed'' modems) for evaluation. They
    wouldn't talk to each other in their default settings, and USR's tech
    ``support'' wouldn't talk to me even though they had provided the modems
    free for the evaluation.

    >That was a great feature that I also used on the Trailblazers.

    If you need Telebit modems, I have three WorldBlazers and a TrailBlazer
    sitting on the shelf in my server room (I could buy a top-end Apple G5 and
    a 30in display for their equivalent cost in inflated US Dollars today).

    >They got the web server up on Friday. BUT the mail was not being
    >seen. The person at Earthlink/Sprint said there MUST be a machine
    >called 'mail' for them to send mail to it.

    Given Sprint's history on DNS configuration, they may well not understand
    MX records.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    Once at a social gathering, Gladstone said to Disraeli, ``I predict,
    Sir, that you will die either by hanging or of some vile disease''.
    Disraeli replied, "That all depends upon whether I embrace your
    principles or your mistress".

  7. Re: Modem disconnects immediately after answering

    is DTR doing momentary change in status?

    If you have @d2 and @c1 in your modem settings, a transition in DTR will
    drop Carrier.

    Perhaps as a test change your modem DTR setting to @d0 which keeps DTR
    permanently up and see what happens

    Dave
    "Bill Vermillion" wrote in message news:IpBrMr.CFs@wjv.com...
    > I know this has been answered in the past, but I didn't find the
    > answer on Tony's site nor on Google. Overwhelmed with responses
    > on the latter.
    >
    > It's an OSR 5.0.5 site that I upgraded from the old 3.x prior
    > to Y2K as the client needed it running just a while long while they
    > moved to a new software package.
    >
    > 5.5 years later - and now with a different vendor - they stil
    > haven't made the conversion.
    >
    > They moved the system to another site and when they connected the
    > 8 port device to the system they did not have things in place
    > firmly so things weren't working. I didn't catch that part at
    > first so I started seeing what to do in the EasyAdm utility.
    >
    > Long and short of it is their outbound modem is working fine.
    >
    > But the inbound modem for the data conversion house is not.
    >
    > Modem is a USR 56K. Both are the same but differ only in
    > manufacture date.
    >
    > When a call is made incoming the modem will pickup, the two modems
    > will handshake, and you can see the TX and RX flicker a bit, then
    > DTR is dropped and the call is disconnected.
    >
    > I know I've seen that symptom here in the far past. This is the
    > first time I've touched a modem in about 5 years after living with
    > them on a daily basis. It's the old use-it-or-lose it routine I
    > guess.
    >
    > I did a verify on all the SW and it came up clean. I did this
    > after I went out Sunday when I got a call about no space, and he
    > had to turn power off to get in. 10 blocks were free, and I
    > cleaned up some log files - but I checked the OS thinking something
    > could have gone away when the system was forcibly repowered.
    >
    > I can talk to one modem with CU, but the one that hangs up
    > gets me 'no device' even though it is in the Devices file.
    >
    > If you can help, or provide a link that will get me going I'd
    > really appreciate it.
    >
    > I've been so spoiled by working with networks and routers I've
    > forgotten how primitive these beasts could be at times.
    >
    > Bill
    >

    > --
    > Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  8. Re: Modem disconnects immediately after answering

    Bill Vermillion wrote:
    ..
    ..
    ..

    > Since I had made changes with EasyAdm [or is it EasyAdmin] trying
    > to get the modems connecting when it turns out the 8-port device
    > was not making full connections, I've called the client and had him
    > save last weeks bacukp that was made before I did any changes, so I
    > just may reload the uucp directories from tape.

    Bill,

    If you restore the uucp directories from tape, be mindful of the sym
    links.

    /usr/lib/uucp links to something like
    /opt/K/SCO/Unix/5.0.5Eb/usr/lib/uucp

    /usr/spool/uucp links to
    /var/spool/uucp

    Good luck,
    Dan
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..

    > Bill
    > --
    > Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  9. Re: Modem disconnects immediately after answering

    In article ,
    David Font wrote:
    >is DTR doing momentary change in status?
    >
    >If you have @d2 and @c1 in your modem settings, a transition in DTR will
    >drop Carrier.
    >
    >Perhaps as a test change your modem DTR setting to @d0 which keeps DTR
    >permanently up and see what happens
    >
    >Dave
    >"Bill Vermillion" wrote in message news:IpBrMr.CFs@wjv.com...
    >> I know this has been answered in the past, but I didn't find the
    >> answer on Tony's site nor on Google. Overwhelmed with responses
    >> on the latter.
    >>
    >> It's an OSR 5.0.5 site that I upgraded from the old 3.x prior
    >> to Y2K as the client needed it running just a while long while they
    >> moved to a new software package.
    >>
    >> 5.5 years later - and now with a different vendor - they stil
    >> haven't made the conversion.
    >>
    >> They moved the system to another site and when they connected the
    >> 8 port device to the system they did not have things in place
    >> firmly so things weren't working. I didn't catch that part at
    >> first so I started seeing what to do in the EasyAdm utility.
    >>
    >> Long and short of it is their outbound modem is working fine.
    >>
    >> But the inbound modem for the data conversion house is not.
    >>
    >> Modem is a USR 56K. Both are the same but differ only in
    >> manufacture date.
    >>
    >> When a call is made incoming the modem will pickup, the two modems
    >> will handshake, and you can see the TX and RX flicker a bit, then
    >> DTR is dropped and the call is disconnected.
    >>
    >> I know I've seen that symptom here in the far past. This is the
    >> first time I've touched a modem in about 5 years after living with
    >> them on a daily basis. It's the old use-it-or-lose it routine I
    >> guess.
    >>
    >> I did a verify on all the SW and it came up clean. I did this
    >> after I went out Sunday when I got a call about no space, and he
    >> had to turn power off to get in. 10 blocks were free, and I
    >> cleaned up some log files - but I checked the OS thinking something
    >> could have gone away when the system was forcibly repowered.

    >> I can talk to one modem with CU, but the one that hangs up
    >> gets me 'no device' even though it is in the Devices file.

    >> If you can help, or provide a link that will get me going I'd
    >> really appreciate it.

    >> I've been so spoiled by working with networks and routers I've
    >> forgotten how primitive these beasts could be at times.

    I finally got cu working into both modems and one has some strange
    settings returned by ATI4.

    I fixed that. I went through the Stallion utitlies a couple of
    more times and things started working.

    It also turns out their app is hard-coded to talk to a modem
    at 2400 with no compression and no correction. Shades of 1985.

    Then after manually copying and editing some old files I got their
    Samba server working again. [that is weird as the utilites don't
    like the old shells and a sh -vx on the smbadduser yielded
    an error similar to 'eval not found' and pointed to a Tcl error.]

    After the system had totally run out of space the owner did a hard
    reboot and it would not even let him login.

    So I got logged in as single user, freed things up, and got it
    wokring, but some things just weren't right - and I had to hammer
    on it a bit to get it back the way it was. I have no idea
    why it changed - but something did.

    Thanks for the replies from all of you, and I checked for all
    possiblites given the suggestions.

    It all started when the customer moved his computers in the
    building and didn't have everything connected correctly. :-(

    Thanks.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com