IRQ question - SCO

This is a discussion on IRQ question - SCO ; Hello, I have been fighting with an IBM X206 server for a couple weeks. Does anyone know of a way to manually set the IRQs on this model server? I have a pair of Intel Dialogic (IVR) cards I need ...

  1. IRQ question

    Hello,

    I have been fighting with an IBM X206 server for a couple weeks. Does
    anyone know of a way to manually set the IRQs on this model server? I
    have a pair of Intel Dialogic (IVR) cards I need to install that
    require an IRQ to either be reserved or assigned to the PCI slots they
    are in.

    When I go into the Bios the only IRQs I can control are the ones for
    Serial Ports and and the Parallel Port.

    On IBM X205 servers there is an area of the Bios where I set the IRQs
    for each PCI slot, video, nic, and scsi. On this new machine the only
    options I have for the PCI slots are:
    Option ROM Scan (default: Enabled)
    Enable Master (default: Disabled)
    Latency Timer (default: Default)

    When I install either or both the IVR cards, then take IRQ 5. This is
    the same IRQ the onboard Intel NIC takes. This causes a crash when SCO
    loads. If I remove the card(s) my OS loads fine.

    I have tried juggling the cards around to see if I can get them to pick
    a different IRQ. So far, no matter the configuration, I either get IRQ
    5 or a message that there are no resourses available for the card. In
    this case SCO sees the card without an IRQ, but of course the card
    doesn't work. IBMs guide simply says to run the Configuration Utility
    program, which is what they call the Bios.

    I have also tried turning off everything I don't need (USB, SATA,
    onboard SCSI) and running the Reset Configuration option under the PCI
    Advanced Settings, put it doesn't change anything. Also, I have updated
    the Bios to the newest version, then began back dating it to the
    earliest version to see if somewhere along the way they took away the
    ability.

    If any of you have worked with on of these machines and have any
    advice, I would appreciate it.

    Thanks,
    Kevin

  2. Re: IRQ question

    Kevin,

    I dont know if the IBM server allows you to assign IRQs for PCI slots.

    Is there a way that you can force the dialogic driver to use another
    IRQ?

    John

  3. Re: IRQ question

    Was able to get the cards both set to IRQ 5 after a lot of slot
    swapping. Having another problem though. The cards weren't functioning
    correctly and my software provider told me I needed to remove and
    reinstall the package for the dialogic cards since they are on a
    different IRQ than they were in the machine I took an image of.

    I removed the package just fine, but when I went to mount the cdrom, I
    got the following error:

    cannot stat '/dev/cd0' : No Such Device or Address
    CONFIG no srom devices configured: unit (0) missing

    I know that our previous Unix guy did "something" to disable the cdroms
    in the production servers so people could load anything on them.

    So far I've:

    Used mkdev cdrom to remove all instances of cd drives.
    Checked /dev/*cd* to make sure all instances were gone.
    Used mkdev cdrom to add the drive
    Checked the /etc/conf/sdevice.d/srom file to verify it is set
    correctly. It is set to:
    Srom Y 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

    Checked the /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi file to verify t is set correctly. It
    is set to:
    wd Srom 0 0 0 0

    I add Srom=wd(0,0,0,0) to my /etc/default/boot file just incase.

    When I do hwconfig, I get:

    name=kernel vec=- dma=- rel=3.2v5.0.6 kid=2000-07-27
    name=cpu vec=- dma=- unit=1 family=15
    name=cpuid vec=- dma=- unit=1 vend=GenuineIntel tfms=0:15:4:1
    name=fpu vec=13 dma=- unit=1 type=80387-compatible
    name=pci base=0xCF8 offset=0x7 vec=- dma=- am=1 sc=0 buses=5
    name=PnP vec=- dma=- nodes=0
    name=clock vec=- dma=- type=TSC/3000488846Hz
    name=serial base=0x2F8 offset=0x7 vec=3 dma=- unit=1 type=Standard
    nports=1 fifo
    =yes
    name=console vec=- dma=- unit=vga type=0 num=12 scoansi=1 scroll=50
    name=adapter base=0x3000 offset=0xFF vec=11 dma=- type=ad160 ha=0 bus=0
    id=7 fts
    =sto
    name=floppy base=0x3F2 offset=0x5 vec=6 dma=2 unit=0 type=135ds18
    name=kbmouse base=0x60 offset=0x4 vec=12 dma=- type=Keyboard|PS/2 mouse
    id=0x00

    name=parallel base=0x378 offset=0x2 vec=7 dma=- unit=0
    name=gncfd vec=- dma=- Dialogic Configuarion Driver
    name=gpio vec=- dma=- Dialogic GPIO Driver
    name=eeG0 base=0x2000 offset=0x1F vec=11 dma=- type=PRO/1000
    00:11:25:ab:70:a2
    name=dlgn vec=5 dma=- Dialogic PCI Driver, bus = 4, slot = 6
    name=dlgn vec=5 dma=- Dialogic PCI Driver, bus = 4, slot = 7
    name=tape vec=- dma=- type=S ha=0 id=14 lun=0 bus=0 ht=ad160
    name=disk vec=- dma=- type=S ha=0 id=12 lun=0 bus=0 ht=ad160
    name=Sdsk vec=- dma=- cyls=8924 hds=255 secs=63 fts=stdb
    name=disk vec=- dma=- type=S ha=0 id=13 lun=0 bus=0 ht=ad160
    name=Sdsk vec=- dma=- cyls=8924 hds=255 secs=63 fts=stdb

    Looking at this, I see no instance of the cdrom.

    When I compare the system I am working with to a lab box that does have
    the drvie working, I see a line in the hwconfig output that states:

    name=cd-rom vec=- dma=- type=IDE ctlr=pri cfg=mst dvr=Srom->wd

    I assume the guy before either deleted a file or commented the drive
    out of a file somewhere.

    Any help would be appreciated. BTW, it is an IDE cdrom, master on the
    primary channel.

    Thanks,

    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread