OSR6... user gets bumped back to a login prompt randomly... - SCO

This is a discussion on OSR6... user gets bumped back to a login prompt randomly... - SCO ; Hi there, Just upgraded a server from OSR5.0.5 to OSR6 and I have two users constantly getting dropped back to a login prompt. No messages are reported in the messages or syslog files and there is no message on the ...

  1. OSR6... user gets bumped back to a login prompt randomly...

    Hi there,

    Just upgraded a server from OSR5.0.5 to OSR6 and I have two users
    constantly getting dropped back to a login prompt. No messages are
    reported in the messages or syslog files and there is no message on the
    screen when the user gets bumped out, just back to a login prompt.
    This can be when the user is running an application or when they're
    just moving from directory to directory.

    Connecting one with a PC through it's serial port and running Procomm
    to a Digi Etherlite80 RealPort. And the second is a wyse150 terminal
    connected the same way.
    Server is running OSR6 with osr600mpi and oss702b installed.
    This is on a new Dell PowerEdge 800sc.

    This was running great on an NCR S20 connected through a MultiPort.

    We're only using IXON IXOFF so just send, receive, and signal ground
    for pinouts.

    We've swapped ports and the problem follows the PC. There are 2
    other terminals connected to the same Digi Etherlite80 board that
    don't have this issue.

    Emulation on the PC running procomm... vt100
    Emulation on the Wyse150... adds
    Emulation on the Wyse150's that don't have this issue... adds

    stty -a on all logged in ports (working ones and the problem ones)
    are the same as below...

    speed 38400 baud;
    rows = 0; columns = 0; ypixels = 0; xpixels = 0;
    min = 1; time = 30;
    intr = DEL; quit = ^|; erase = ^h; kill = ^u;
    eof = ^a; eol = ^~; eol2 = ; swtch = ;
    start = ^q; stop = ^s; susp = ^z; dsusp = ;
    rprnt = ^r; flush = ^o; werase = ^w; lnext = ^v;
    -parenb -parodd -parext cs8 -cstopb hupcl cread -clocal -loblk
    -ignbrk -brkint -inpck ignpar -parmrk -istrip -inlcr -igncr -icrnl
    -iuclc
    ixon -ixany ixoff -imaxbel
    -opost -olcuc -onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel
    -isig -icanon -xcase -echo -echoe echok -echonl -noflsh
    -tostop -echoctl -echoprt -echoke -defecho -flusho -pendin -iexten
    -rtsxoff -ctsxon -dtrxoff -cdxon -isxoff xcibrg rcibrg tsetcoff
    rsetcoff
    -isscancode -xscancode

    I've tried swapping ports.
    I set -hupcl on the port as well to see if DTR is dropping, but
    we're only using send/receive.

    Can a cable do this?
    I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can try?

    Thanks for your time.
    Don.

  2. Re: OSR6... user gets bumped back to a login prompt randomly...

    "foz_67" wrote in message
    news:1130772687.786231.203940@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Just upgraded a server from OSR5.0.5 to OSR6 and I have two users
    > constantly getting dropped back to a login prompt. No messages are
    > reported in the messages or syslog files and there is no message on the
    > screen when the user gets bumped out, just back to a login prompt.
    > This can be when the user is running an application or when they're
    > just moving from directory to directory.
    >
    > Connecting one with a PC through it's serial port and running Procomm
    > to a Digi Etherlite80 RealPort. And the second is a wyse150 terminal
    > connected the same way.
    > Server is running OSR6 with osr600mpi and oss702b installed.
    > This is on a new Dell PowerEdge 800sc.
    >
    > This was running great on an NCR S20 connected through a MultiPort.
    >
    > We're only using IXON IXOFF so just send, receive, and signal ground
    > for pinouts.
    >
    > We've swapped ports and the problem follows the PC. There are 2
    > other terminals connected to the same Digi Etherlite80 board that
    > don't have this issue.
    >
    > Emulation on the PC running procomm... vt100
    > Emulation on the Wyse150... adds
    > Emulation on the Wyse150's that don't have this issue... adds
    >
    > stty -a on all logged in ports (working ones and the problem ones)
    > are the same as below...
    >
    > speed 38400 baud;
    > rows = 0; columns = 0; ypixels = 0; xpixels = 0;
    > min = 1; time = 30;
    > intr = DEL; quit = ^|; erase = ^h; kill = ^u;
    > eof = ^a; eol = ^~; eol2 = ; swtch = ;
    > start = ^q; stop = ^s; susp = ^z; dsusp = ;
    > rprnt = ^r; flush = ^o; werase = ^w; lnext = ^v;
    > -parenb -parodd -parext cs8 -cstopb hupcl cread -clocal -loblk
    > -ignbrk -brkint -inpck ignpar -parmrk -istrip -inlcr -igncr -icrnl
    > -iuclc
    > ixon -ixany ixoff -imaxbel
    > -opost -olcuc -onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel
    > -isig -icanon -xcase -echo -echoe echok -echonl -noflsh
    > -tostop -echoctl -echoprt -echoke -defecho -flusho -pendin -iexten
    > -rtsxoff -ctsxon -dtrxoff -cdxon -isxoff xcibrg rcibrg tsetcoff
    > rsetcoff
    > -isscancode -xscancode
    >

    > I've tried swapping ports.
    > I set -hupcl on the port as well to see if DTR is dropping, but
    > we're only using send/receive.
    >
    > Can a cable do this?
    > I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can try?
    >
    > Thanks for your time.
    > Don.

    I used to have this problem on our system years ago when we
    relied on Wyse terminals connected to Equinox multiport
    serial lines. In our case, the sessions would terminate
    randomly after receiving a 'quit' signal, even though no one
    had ever typed the quit character. I attributed it to random
    signal noise on the serial lines that was being misinterpreted
    as an actual character.

    Try adding:
    trap "" 1 2 3

    to either /etc/profile or to the user's .profile
    to see if the problem goes away.

    Bob

  3. Re: OSR6... user gets bumped back to a login prompt randomly...

    Hi Bob,

    Thanks for replying so quick.

    I added the trap "" 1 2 3 to the users .profile and we have a different
    result.
    The processes don't quit now, but the user is at a standstill. No
    matter what key he hits there's no response.
    I cancelled his processes and he was back to a login.

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks again.
    Don.

  4. Re: OSR6... user gets bumped back to a login prompt randomly...

    Don wrote:

    > I added the trap "" 1 2 3 to the users .profile and we have a different
    > result.
    > The processes don't quit now, but the user is at a standstill. No
    > matter what key he hits there's no response.
    > I cancelled his processes and he was back to a login.
    >
    > Any other ideas?

    Two things to try (separately):

    1. Narrow it down by trapping only 1, only 2, only 3 -- see which one
    leads to the new result of hanging.

    2. In your stty settings you had:

    > > > intr = DEL; quit = ^|; erase = ^h; kill = ^u;
    > > > eof = ^a; eol = ^~; eol2 = ; swtch = ;

    Those "eof" and "eol" settings are unusual to me. eol probably doesn't
    matter, but eof might be the problem. Try running:

    stty eof '^d'

    which sets the end-of-file value to the Unix standard, control-D. See
    if behavior changes.

    >Bela<

  5. Re: OSR6... user gets bumped back to a login prompt randomly...

    "Bela Lubkin" wrote in message
    news:200510311325.aa14219@deepthought.armory.com.. .
    > Don wrote:
    >
    >> I added the trap "" 1 2 3 to the users .profile and we have a different
    >> result.
    >> The processes don't quit now, but the user is at a standstill. No
    >> matter what key he hits there's no response.
    >> I cancelled his processes and he was back to a login.
    >>
    >> Any other ideas?

    > Two things to try (separately):
    >
    > 1. Narrow it down by trapping only 1, only 2, only 3 -- see which one
    > leads to the new result of hanging.
    >
    > 2. In your stty settings you had:

    > Those "eof" and "eol" settings are unusual to me. eol probably doesn't
    > matter, but eof might be the problem. Try running:
    >
    > stty eof '^d'
    >
    > which sets the end-of-file value to the Unix standard, control-D. See
    > if behavior changes.

    And it probably doesn't help that the default function key sequences
    for Wyse terminals is F1=^a@ F2=^aA F3=^aB etc.

    Bob

  6. Re: OSR6... user gets bumped back to a login prompt randomly...

    To the attention of Bob and Bela!!!

    This issue is now resolved.
    Turned out, was a bad cable.
    Both of your thoughts about a quit signal or a signal that is out of
    the ordinary helped me to narrow this down through trial and error.
    The original setup apparently didn't care about the cable, but the new
    setup just didn't like it. They were cat5 cables with 2 of the eight
    wires cut, so maybe something was touching.

    Thanks for you input on this issue ... greatly appreciated.

    Sincerely,
    Don.

+ Reply to Thread